Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Next year's players council? (Read 64021 times)
DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Re: Next year's players council?
Reply #50 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 2:43pm:

I hadn't seen that version of the pic.
Shit those guys know how to party.
Look at the room pumping!

Turdbine will be in the top 10 most desired employers next year, you just wait and see......

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Angry wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:32am:
I don't think I can say about some things we told the devs no about, as it could be breaking the NDA.

Which is why you make a vault account with no connection to the motherboards.  Geez, is it really that hard?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #52 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:00pm:
Which is why you make a vault account with no connection to the motherboards.  Geez, is it really that hard?

There's not enough People in the PC... Any 'official leak' would be hunted down with Extreme Prejudice.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 9:29am:
Atomicmew, wasn't it?

Not me, I never had double log in problems.  It was wanesa on the motherboards I think.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #54 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I don't think the PC helps or hurts the game in any way.

They did not (to my eyes) help make anything better. Maybe they did, but it's always "we can't talk about it NDA" or "Well I know something but  I can't even hint at what it is. Take my word for it!"
So to me, absolutely nothing was accomplished.

As for who would be on the PC next time? Who cares. The people they should pick they won't. And even if they picked them it wouldn't matter because they don't take suggestions into account. People who really enjoy playing the game, even though they bitch about it non stop, and really understand it are not well liked on the mother boards. Because they are critical. But Turbine can't handle that. Either the devs' egos are too large to listen, or too fragile to take criticism.

Besides we heard from some PC members, that things hit live without even getting their input on them. What's the point of a focus group or whatever they're supposed to be if you don't even use them for what (apparently) was their purpose? It doesn't make any sense.

IP Logged

gawker
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 4:48am:
Let me answer your query with some sincere questions of my own.

As a PC member, do you feel that the PC concept worked as it was intended?  Ie. Was the program a success in your opinion?
Do you personally feel you made a difference and that the time you invested in the PC was well spent?

Anyone on the PC is welcome to respond - might be interesting to see how different members perceived it.

Well it worked for Thaz, the stupid cow has milked it for all the attention she possibly could.

Including this amazing use of the end of her PC term as a post subject for more attention, only a attention whore like Thaz could figure out a way to talk even more about herself while discussing a PC that won't include her.

Such an Asshat, must not be getting enough attention from the links to her twitter,blogs, blah blah she includes on the forums.

Seek help you narcissistic bitch.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:47pm by gawker »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Serious feedback:

1) The NDA was not a good thing. 

It should be removed or at least reserved for specific sensitive topics.  The PC should have been able to act as a bridge between the devs and the community.  One of the goals was for the PC to gather good suggestions from the community, and this failed because of the restrictions on communication. 

2) The PC should primarily sample from highly skilled and knowledgeable players. 

The current game balance is at an all time low, and that's mostly a result of changes made this year.  Necropolis and thunderforged gear dominate every gear slot and armor changes/heal amp changes make this game slightly more challenging than Candyland.  These things should have been run through knowledgeable players who can predict how changes to mathematical formulas affect gameplay. 

A lot of knowledgeable players did raise a stink on Lamma forums about the armor changes, but were drowned out in the noise.  I think there's a larger problem that game skill and knowledge are not respected.  The bar is set so low that anyone can solo the hardest content on EE.  And when turbine does try to raise the bar (e.g. champions) all the casuals that sit on the forum all day cry out until the bar gets lowered again.  And the result is that players continue to leave. 

I do think the idea of the PC is a good one and probably cheaper than Mournlands: turbine needs a focused player voice to help them direct game changes.  But the lack of communication with the larger community and the poor sampling and restrictions on recruiting knowledgeable players prevent the PC from guiding DDO in the right direction. 

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #57 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 6:29pm:
Serious feedback:

It should be removed or at least reserved for specific sensitive topics.  The PC should have been able to act as a bridge between the devs and the community.  One of the goals was for the PC to gather good suggestions from the community, and this failed because of the restrictions on communication. 

2) The PC should primarily sample from highly skilled and knowledgeable players. 

The current game balance is at an all time low, and that's mostly a result of changes made this year.  Necropolis and thunderforged gear dominate every gear slot and armor changes/heal amp changes make this game slightly more challenging than Candyland.  These things should have been run through knowledgeable players who can predict how changes to mathematical formulas affect gameplay. 

A lot of knowledgeable players did raise a stink on Lamma forums about the armor changes, but were drowned out in the noise.  I think there's a larger problem that game skill and knowledge are not respected.  The bar is set so low that anyone can solo the hardest content on EE.  And when turbine does try to raise the bar (e.g. champions) all the casuals that sit on the forum all day cry out until the bar gets lowered again.  And the result is that players continue to leave. 

I do think the idea of the PC is a good one and probably cheaper than Mournlands: turbine needs a focused player voice to help them direct game changes.  But the lack of communication with the larger community and the poor sampling and restrictions on recruiting knowledgeable players prevent the PC from guiding DDO in the right direction. 

1) Wrong... That's what everybody thought, but that's not the case... The PC is just a focus group to give feedback on stuff put before them. Suggestions are Not Welcome.

On the NDA topic I do agree with you though most of what we saw was not NDA worthy... or we saw it on Monday and it was in Lamania Forum on Friday. ( so Turbine can just fuck off the NDA when they want to... on the other hand the PC has to suck it )

2) The sample represent all the play styles... And I agree with that sample... Picking only highly skilled and knowledgeable players would not be good in the long term.
    The game was never considered as a hardcore game from the start... It was a tough game, but once you had a few clue ( or if you had played PnP ) you could handle yourself.
    Also Epic Elite is not a requirement... People want to be able to do that because they feel entitled to... because of the Retarded Streak. Kill the Retarded Streak, and it will be
    possible to add difficulty to the game for those that can handle it. ( While I don't like the implementation, champions were a move in the good direction... And most [if not all]
    of the PC whined strengthen them back up when they were nerfed into oblivion.
    But it really all boil down to the Entitlement people feel to be able to run everything on Elite ( solo ) to preserve that fucking retarded streak.
    If you can find a mechanism that works to replace it and convince Turbine to implement it, you're welcome... Many members of the PC tried this year... So far we have failed.
    Last on the  [i]highly skilled and knowledgeable players[/i, if they want their say, they can come and try things on Lamania... The stuff seen by the PC stays there enough time
    for everybody to have a good idea of what to expect... and the Devs are willing to make changes if enough people ask for them. 

The PC do not discuss game direction... ( sadly )
We only discuss specific bits and pieces of a specific update. ( for example, we didn't discuss Champions before they were put on Lamania, and had no clue what the U24 loot was intended for until the Announcement of the Epic Orchard... even if we had been discussing it for some time before )

IP Logged

gawker
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:01pm:
1) Wrong... That's what everybody thought, but that's not the case... The PC is just a focus group to give feedback on stuff put before them. Suggestions are Not Welcome.

On the NDA topic I do agree with you though most of what we saw was not NDA worthy... or we saw it on Monday and it was in Lamania Forum on Friday. ( so Turbine can just fuck off the NDA when they want to... on the other hand the PC has to suck it )

2) The sample represent all the play styles... And I agree with that sample... Picking only highly skilled and knowledgeable players would not be good in the long term.
    The game was never considered as a hardcore game from the start... It was a tough game, but once you had a few clue ( or if you had played PnP ) you could handle yourself.
    Also Epic Elite is not a requirement... People want to be able to do that because they feel entitled to... because of the Retarded Streak. Kill the Retarded Streak, and it will be
    possible to add difficulty to the game for those that can handle it. ( While I don't like the implementation, champions were a move in the good direction... And most [if not all]
    of the PC whined strengthen them back up when they were nerfed into oblivion.
    But it really all boil down to the Entitlement people feel to be able to run everything on Elite ( solo ) to preserve that fucking retarded streak.
    If you can find a mechanism that works to replace it and convince Turbine to implement it, you're welcome... Many members of the PC tried this year... So far we have failed.
    Last on the  [i]highly skilled and knowledgeable players[/i, if they want their say, they can come and try things on Lamania... The stuff seen by the PC stays there enough time
    for everybody to have a good idea of what to expect... and the Devs are willing to make changes if enough people ask for them. 

The PC do not discuss game direction... ( sadly )
We only discuss specific bits and pieces of a specific update. ( for example, we didn't discuss Champions before they were put on Lamania, and had no clue what the U24 loot was intended for until the Announcement of the Epic Orchard... even if we had been discussing it for some time before ) 

I guess the real question is: will you stay on if given the choice?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #59 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I still don't know why you hate the bravery streak so much.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #60 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Or are you not allowed to tell me because of NDA?  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 5:15pm:
There's not enough People in the PC... Any 'official leak' would be hunted down with Extreme Prejudice.

Yeah, just like the dupers.  Please.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
As for the PC, I will apply for it again, mostly in the hope that
a) Turdbine really is stupid enough to let me in, and
b) My presence might/maybe/possibly prevent some dipshit from getting in.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:01pm:

One of the stated purposes of the PC was to gather suggestions from the larger community.  I can dig up the specific quote if you like. 
Quote:

A lot of vets did come to the lamma forum to talk about the armor changes.  They were ignored. 

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:53pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #64 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 2:43pm:
not cosplay, but larping

larping, cosplay, gerbling, not much difference really

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #65 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:52pm:
One of the stated purposes of the PC was to gather suggestions from the larger community.  I can dig up the specific quote if you like. 
A lot of vets did come to the lamma forum to talk about the armor changes.  They were ignored. 

Oh, don't bother with digging it... There's no point... just know that if you apply, you do not apply for something that works both way...
( from players to Turbine and from Turbine to players )... you apply for something that works only one way.
Suggestions are not welcome...

As for changes in Lamania... If the wanted changes do not meet Turbine's ( or the relevant Dev ) agenda... it will get ignored, the same way the PC suggestions were ignored ( and  that's not relevant just for the Armor Changes; in the case of the armor changes in case it wasn't obvious : they wanted to nerf the pajama wearers, with high dodge, hard while making it look like it wasn't a nerf ).
Thunderforge is when we finally understood that our suggestions were not welcome... We were trying to create a coherent crafting system out of all the various unlinked stuff we have in game. Based on Greensteel, Cannith and Alchemical.... and they pulled the rug under us by adding Thunderforged, with yet more ingredients, yet another unrelated system, ...

As I said some month ago : The current crop of Devs are here to push forward changes that looks good on a Resume, because they know that after DDO goes to Maintenance Mode there's no room for them at Turbine.
Things like Added Thunderforged Crafting, a End Game Weapon and Armor Crafting system; Created the Swashbuckler Tree for the Bard Class; Balanced the Class powers to make them all relevant; Optimized the combat system by creating whole new system for armors ( PRR/MRR ), .... Will always look better on a Resume than fixed 1 bug that has been in game for years, Spent 1 month tracking a String Table Error DID, Fixed 10 broken ladders. 
So expect a lot of ignoring. Consider that it sometime took weeks of combined efforts from all the PC members to kill some ideas...

IP Logged

Cow humper
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 9:29am:
Atomicmew, wasn't it?

Wanesa. He gave them the rights to use it and yet they managed to fuck that up. Great improvement on the social panel.

The PC should have been able to act as a bridge between the devs and the community.  One of the goals was for the PC to gather good suggestions from the community, and this failed because of the restrictions on communication. 

So much this.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:34pm by »  

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:59pm:
larping, cosplay, gerbling, not much difference really

larping = acting out, dress optional
cosplay = dressing the part, action optional
gerbling = doctor visit, richard gere optional

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #68 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:47pm:
larping = acting out, dress optional
cosplay = dressing the part, action optional
gerbling = doctor visit, richard gere optional

whew! I am glad there was an expert on all three to explain it to me, that was close.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #69 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
[quote author=0436062D0F070C620 link=1419845483/36#36 date=1419872539]

The community manager should be filtering mass responses, tallying them, then taking results to strategy meetings.[/quote]

that's much more work than pulling names out of a hat and dubbing them "COUNCIL!"

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #70 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:58pm
Print Post  

I do think the idea of the PC is a good one and probably cheaper than Mournlands:

yes X 3.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #71 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
The only useful things I think I did on the PC was try to draw del attention to some of the live threads and some of the issues that my friends and guildies and pugs I met talked about - as much as I understood it.

Lamm is to my mind much more important and once again I really encourage people to post in detail and from experience and to the point on what sucks and detailed reasons why., and good detailed reasoned suggestions for fixes on Lamm.

Coming into this new year and level 30 I earnestly hope they take on top top end players to give feedback. At the same time I would like the voices of the casual and new player to be clearly heard.

Personally I would love it if someone like AtomicMew got on as I think he would be very good Smiley I have a couple others from here I think would be great too.

But meh, I have no say in this so I wait to see what they do Smiley

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #72 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Serious feedback:

At first pass this seems like a reasonable suggestion and I felt myself agreeing with you.

I even agree with you in this.
The loot from the U24 content was irrelevant before it even launched.
Not saying everything has to be Uber, but it's not even kinda useful.
Simply wasted development, or a lost opportunity.
Without interesting loot, no-one will run that content except for favour (not sure you even need to do that).

And then we get to this bit and my doubts emerge.
By "highly skilled and knowledgeable" you mean you and your crew right?
So the question becomes - how do you objectively determine this?
Must be able to complete EE WGU in under 14 mins?  Something else?

I partially agree with your sentiments.
There is definitely a consultative role for highly skilled and knowledgable players in tailoring end game content, loot and mechanics - I would probably also throw in TR/ETR as well.

But your attitude comes across as Elitist.  "Only we know how the game should be played, not the noobs who can now complete OUR Elite content" is the underlying message coming through, intended or not.
Champions were a problem for new players - not a discussion I will revisit here, but mocking those who commented just shows your colours.  Again the core problem was in the implementation.  The Champions concept would have benefited greatly from PC feedback I suspect.

I would posit this question.  Given your experience, knowledge and gear, would you be well placed to represent the casual, low level new player?  Could you even relate to their concerns and challenges?
New people to the game who are its lifeblood and likely primary source of income?

The PC was meant to be a representative sample of the community and this should include the skilled and knowledgable as much as the "new and enthusiastic". To the middle of the road players like myself who aren't noobs but we aren't legendary either, but play the game, spend some money and try to enjoy it. 

This game could choose to cater just to raid/end game elite and it would die.  It could choose to cater to newbs and it would die too.  And there probably aren't enough middle of the road players to sustain it either.
Hence the need to have broad appeal and to manage the transition from curious FTP to long time customer (new content is not the solution to this major problem Thaz).

Listening just to the skilled and knowledgable would be disastrous as Flav suggests.  Not because they bear any ill will to the game, but because they're focus is on the parts that interest them and could make recommendations detrimental to the rest of the game.  An argument could likewise be made if Turdbine just listened to any one group in DDO.

And I do agree with your sentiments here.
The PC concept is a good one, the implementation probably wasn't because the mandate definitely wasn't clear and they don't have the ear of the Producer(s) to actually make decisions.
You have a collection of devs with no cohesion making individual decisions that affect all parts of the game.  Some of those devs have little experience in actually playing the game, which makes this an odd process.

The PC should be channelled through a Producer who decides what is communicated to them and listens to the feedback and then makes the most astute decision having heard the balance of arguments.  Sometimes they will need the advice, other times they would like to but due to reasons like cost or time have to not use it. As you suggest, communication is critical and it sounds like feedback was sorely lacking.

The current process is flawed, because the devs just ignore the advice if it does not suit their personal agendas, to the detriment of the game.
And why have a PC if you're not going to utilise it fully.
They need to internally change the way it works.

But they won't and all this discussion is moot.
I lament the lost opportunity more than anything.
Good IP, loyal fan base, working player-developer interface wasted by a distinctly unprofessional developer missing any kind of leadership and cohesion.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2014 at 11:05pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Ash
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:52pm:

Sounds very similar to the PC most of the time. 

Welcome to the party.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
And then we get to this bit and my doubts emerge.
By "highly skilled and knowledgeable" you mean you and your crew right?
So the question becomes - how do you objectively determine this?
Must be able to complete EE WGU in under 14 mins?  Something else?

I'm a casual player nowadays.  Probably ~30 minutes a week since U24 dropped.  Mostly play by myself, a few close friends (most of whom don't play anymore) and my guild (who are currently just as casual).  I honestly don't have any "crew" to speak of. 

As for turbine picking out which players are knowledgeable, to me there are some obvious and easy examples even in the vault: munkenmo, shadow, lelouch, harhar, rubbins, from the motherforums, knight_slayer, xtethx and a whole bunch of others, I could go on and on.  I don't know any of those people personally, yet I think most people would agree that all the above are at least pretty decent at this game. 

The point is, you don't need to perform rocket surgery to get players who know WTF they are talking about in regards to game mechanics.  There are a ton of awesome players who were way better suited compared to some extremely questionable PC picks.  If someone at Turbine would spend just a fraction of time reading the build forums and lamma forums for understanding rather than finding ways to infract people, we could have an awesome PC that could help steer the game in a fun direction and could help get the larger community involved and excited about upcoming changes. 

Of course, that presupposes that Turbine would be willing to have open communications with the PC (which flav suggests is not the case), but those are the two things that I think need to change.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Send TopicPrint