Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) So I just walked through a Von epic (Read 17934 times)
5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: So I just walked through a Von epic
Reply #25 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
hell TWF barbarians even,

TWF barb is right up there with pally.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #26 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 7:43am
Print Post  
iGouger, you must not have tried 5 foot's barbarian build. You classify 2wf barbarians as something only viable in heroics when it performs nicely in EE content.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #27 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Having played both now I'd say Barb is ahead for ease and speed, personally anyway. Runs like the wind, nuts dps and enough streaming self-healing coming in (even without any pally PL on my current Barb) to keep you up. But mainly the endless sprint boosts Wink

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #28 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 1:57am:
Oh I agree... I always said that the idea ( making quests harder ) was good, but the implementation ( crowned mob with silly buffs ) sucked.

Yeah, and they weren't even that far off from a reasonable solution, but they just couldn't be bothered to get there.

There was plenty of whining, of course, but there were legitimate complaints about Champions too - a cautious party of not-uber players could play everything right and still get creamed an hour into an adventure on HH by champions that spawned in multiples. The really good players only died if they gotr careless, but a lot of OK players died just because of the increased variability of difficulty.

And that's bad for the game. Having a challenge that applies more to better players is good, a challenge that applies more to mediocre players is bad.

Plus, it drove an even bigger wedge into the gaping crack BB/Streak drove into the population, noobs couldn't even pike with a zerging TR because a champion would one-shot them. No fun.

They could have made it way better - just make champion spawn rate replace Dungeon Alert. The really skilled players could get as much challenge as they wanted by going faster, and the less skilled could get through by going slow. If they did that, they would have the added bonus that speed runs would really mean something, because going a little faster gets a lot harder.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 5:12am:
Depends what you mean by melee.
Some champs like gargoyles, shadarkai, harpies hit really hard on 200 prr pally. Earth elly in toee 1, champ hezrous in part 2 or fire elly rare in part 1 or red named ogre commander are just retarded - how do you attack those on a rogue or lighter armour build like ranger perhaps ?
Or fort bypassing champion cr 73 toee archer.

It's not really that fun. Stupid encounters like that, I'd simply bring another character, that's it.

yep. toee earth elle in pt1 hits for like 1800 before prr. the red named giant ogre hits for 1400 before prr. The champ giant ogres with fort bypass hit for around the same. I take my thf pally in there and 150 prr while blitzing isn't enough if the ogre decides to doublestrike. I swap to my shiradi and it doesnt even feel like the same quest.

cr 83 is what i have been seeing there.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2015 at 9:33am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #30 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 8:17am:
Yeah, and they weren't even that far off from a reasonable solution, but they just couldn't be bothered to get there.

There was plenty of whining, of course, but there were legitimate complaints about Champions too - a cautious party of not-uber players could play everything right and still get creamed an hour into an adventure on HH by champions that spawned in multiples. The really good players only died if they gotr careless, but a lot of OK players died just because of the increased variability of difficulty.

And that's bad for the game. Having a challenge that applies more to better players is good, a challenge that applies more to mediocre players is bad.

Plus, it drove an even bigger wedge into the gaping crack BB/Streak drove into the population, noobs couldn't even pike with a zerging TR because a champion would one-shot them. No fun.

They could have made it way better - just make champion spawn rate replace Dungeon Alert. The really skilled players could get as much challenge as they wanted by going faster, and the less skilled could get through by going slow. If they did that, they would have the added bonus that speed runs would really mean something, because going a little faster gets a lot harder.

I agree it isn't ideal (and wasn't), but difficulty spikes during quests are good design, imo. Better than some of the quests now where ok players do ok right until the boss and then they get their arse kicked. At least with champs you'd get an idea early on of the parameters you're working in. Design as is can breed a false sense of capability.

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #31 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Just install the following and things get a lot more challenging.

if that don't work try playing something from here

http://www.myabandonware.com/

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Some Guy Here On The Boards wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 7:43am:
iGouger, you must not have tried 5 foot's barbarian build. You classify 2wf barbarians as something only viable in heroics when it performs nicely in EE content.

Yeah I haven't. I think last time I did a TWF barb build was a couple years ago before all the newer barbarian enhancements, so I'm probably a bit out of my league when talking about barbarians nowadays. I remember looking at the barbarian enhancements when they were updated and I thought some of them looked really strong, though I have yet to try out a new barbarian build.

But anyway, from what I've seen, I'm still not convinced that the current endgame permits as much build diversity as the heroic game does. It still seems to me that the easiest and most efficient way to run most endgame content is to run one of a handful of ranged or caster builds. Monster champions only exacerbated this issue.

Though one positive thing to come out of the monster champions is some of the remnant exchange things. Eternal Flasks are nice, as are the cloak/bracers for certain builds.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #33 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But anyway, from what I've seen, I'm still not convinced that the current endgame permits as much build diversity as the heroic game does.

O U haz nice bild? W/ever. NAO PLAY EDs.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #34 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 9:53am:
I agree it isn't ideal (and wasn't), but difficulty spikes during quests are good design, imo. Better than some of the quests now where ok players do ok right until the boss and then they get their arse kicked. At least with champs you'd get an idea early on of the parameters you're working in. Design as is can breed a false sense of capability.

I see your point, and if I'm understanding correctly then I agree with you and think that's a good goal but not one the Champions "solution" was anywhere near achieving. I agree that there should be some way to gage the difficulty before you get to the end boss having invested an hour of play.

Ideally the quest entrance should give you the information (some say extreme challenge, so between the challenge rating, the level, and the difficulty you should know about how hard it is). Second best is to have a fight fairly early on that lets you know if you're way over your head. But champions didn't give that. The same quest on the same difficulty could be very tough but OK if you took it slow on one run, but Tomb of Horrors brutal on the next, different only in the spawn pattern of champions, which you have no way to predict or control.

So you got (get? Not following closely) players who would like and could handle the challenge of hard but stick to normal and are bored because Hard or Elite is too unpredictable.

I'm not saying quests should be completely predictable, I'd love it if they had more randomization for things like trap location, etc. But randomizing the CR isn't good randomization, it keeps people from knowing what difficulty to run.

They could have made Champions have a fixed number per difficulty and a fixed number spawn simultaneously and players wouldn't know which mob was going to have the Champion allotment, that would have been much better because you'd know how hard the fights were, just not where the hard fights were, so you'd still need to be careful with each mob. That would give more challenge, but still let players make an informed decision.

I still like the replacing Dungeon Alert best, but this also would have been a better Champions implementation than what we got. Of course, replacing Dungeon alert would mean they couldn't use DA as their "exciting" special challenge for some adventures as they've recently done, but I think we could all live without that  Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #35 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Jul 4th, 2015 at 12:08pm:
I stopped playing around update 9. Has the game been this easy for a while? If so, do they plan on addressing it? I really wanted to start playing again, but after running a gimp TR build through that I don't think I will.

So, Update 9.  That was 2011, pre MoTU, cap at 20, no ED's.  So you ran a VoN epic on EE with a level 20 toon with gear from LoB at best and no ED's and pre-enhancement pass and pwned it.  I call bullshit.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #36 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah I haven't. I think last time I did a TWF barb build was a couple years ago before all the newer barbarian enhancements, so I'm probably a bit out of my league when talking about barbarians nowadays. I remember looking at the barbarian enhancements when they were updated and I thought some of them looked really strong, though I have yet to try out a new barbarian build.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1416652172

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #37 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:28pm:
So, Update 9.  That was 2011, pre MoTU, cap at 20, no ED's.  So you ran a VoN epic on EE with a level 20 toon with gear from LoB at best and no ED's and pre-enhancement pass and pwned it.  I call bullshit.

this

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #38 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jul 4th, 2015 at 12:53pm:
VON is not exactly hard though, is it? Tried anything a bit tastier yet?

(Yes, EDs made everything at 20+ easier.)

no shit.  VON was always a joke after MoTU.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #39 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:28pm:

Was probably EN.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 3:45am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 11:25pm:
Was probably EN.

I am thinking this too.

OP ran von's on EN, thinking they where as hard as the old epics when cap was 20.

Von EN is not hard at all. Von EE is not really a challenge either, for half-decent characters/players.

Go solo storm horns EE, then we are talking.

Von is simply not the benchmark anymore. Move on.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 5:02am
Print Post  
DDONoob wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 3:45am:
I am thinking this too.

OP ran von's on EN, thinking they where as hard as the old epics when cap was 20.

Von EN is not hard at all. Von EE is not really a challenge either, for half-decent characters/players.

Go solo storm horns EE, then we are talking.

Von is simply not the benchmark anymore. Move on.

Not like SH EE is a challenge anymore with the kind of power creep that they gave us with the latest updates.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #42 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 9:16am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 11:25pm:
Was probably EN.

EN? 

/Thread. 

OP:  Gee.  I ran the easiest epic quest on the easist difficulty and it was...easy.  This game sucks.  I'm going to play something else. 

Response:  Sounds great to me.   Have a great time, champ.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #43 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 5:26pm:
I see your point, and if I'm understanding correctly then I agree with you and think that's a good goal but not one the Champions "solution" was anywhere near achieving. I agree that there should be some way to gage the difficulty before you get to the end boss having invested an hour of play.

Ideally the quest entrance should give you the information (some say extreme challenge, so between the challenge rating, the level, and the difficulty you should know about how hard it is). Second best is to have a fight fairly early on that lets you know if you're way over your head. But champions didn't give that. The same quest on the same difficulty could be very tough but OK if you took it slow on one run, but Tomb of Horrors brutal on the next, different only in the spawn pattern of champions, which you have no way to predict or control.

So you got (get? Not following closely) players who would like and could handle the challenge of hard but stick to normal and are bored because Hard or Elite is too unpredictable.

I'm not saying quests should be completely predictable, I'd love it if they had more randomization for things like trap location, etc. But randomizing the CR isn't good randomization, it keeps people from knowing what difficulty to run.

They could have made Champions have a fixed number per difficulty and a fixed number spawn simultaneously and players wouldn't know which mob was going to have the Champion allotment, that would have been much better because you'd know how hard the fights were, just not where the hard fights were, so you'd still need to be careful with each mob. That would give more challenge, but still let players make an informed decision.

I still like the replacing Dungeon Alert best, but this also would have been a better Champions implementation than what we got. Of course, replacing Dungeon alert would mean they couldn't use DA as their "exciting" special challenge for some adventures as they've recently done, but I think we could all live without that  Roll Eyes

Yep, that's a much better idea for implementing them. Yep, I didn't mean the exact specific implementation now but I think having a hint at (possible) troubles to come is a good thing. I just wish the champions were a bit better implemented. I also like some proxy mechanics like the chance at a chest where you're not expecting it, for a change.

Like a lot of things with the game lately I guess - champions were probably rushed out for cost reasons and not playtested enough (or the feedback listened to). I wouldn't know, I won't go near the official forums any more.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #44 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 1:33pm:
Like a lot of things with the game lately I guess - champions were probably rushed out for cost reasons and not playtested enough (or the feedback listened to). I wouldn't know, I won't go near the official forums any more.

Agreed, and with no end in sight  Sad

WOTC saw that happen with D&D 4.0 getting panned and Pathfinder, with their extensive playtesting and revisions, rising to prominence, but so far Turbine has resisted learning from the mistakes of others.

I don't go to the main forums anymore either, I'm allergic to fanbois  Grin

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #45 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 4th, 2015 at 2:17pm:
you had to be careful in quests or you were going to get your ass handled

Hey Flav, I think you meant "...get your ass handed to you."

Then again, you're French, so...  Grin

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #46 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jul 4th, 2015 at 12:32pm:
Wait for the Fallout 4 expansion, you'll be much happier Wink

The silly Fallout Shelter game on my iPad is feeding my fix while waiting... Mindless.

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #47 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 4:16pm:

I thought the exact same thing when I read it, but then realized that Flav is French so on the balance of probabilities, he probably meant handled.    Grin

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #48 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 2:22am
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 8:28pm:
The silly Fallout Shelter game on my iPad is feeding my fix while waiting... Mindless.

Damn, I forgot about that.  Finally realized the Simpsons Tapped Out works on my kindle, so I'm busy with that.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #49 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 4:16pm:

Well I have to make an English Fault here and there otherwise people would start to wonder if I'm really French or not.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint