Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) You think Otto's boxes are p2w... (Read 10433 times)
iGouger
Ex Member

Re: You think Otto's boxes are p2w...
Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 3:29am
Print Post  
I simply don't see it as fun to pay money to eschew portions of the game; in other words, paying to not play the game. That's essentially what the PW2 concept is: being able to pay money to avoid paying the game. Personally I only play a game that I know will keep me entertained, or in simpler terms, a game which is just fun. If I ever reach a point at which my view becomes, "ugh, this game is so boring that I'll just pay $20 to skip half of it," then my instinct is to just quit playing it (if even for a temporary time, e.g. a few months), rather than pay money to not play it. That $20 would be better spent elsewhere.

Another thing is that, at least for me, I used to occasionally spend some money on DDO because many years back, there were many less P2W options in the game. As a result of that, my impression was that Turbine cared more about delivering a fun experience and kept their players foremost in mind. Contrast this to my current impression of them, which, after introducing many blatantly P2W items in the store (otto's boxes, raid timer bypasses, making tomes basically only available in the store, monster manual, astral shards, yellow dopant, and so many more), is that they're just in it now to make a quick buck. I'm not going to spend money on a product which is drastically deteriorating in quality as a result of mismanagement and greed.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Quote:
I simply don't see it as fun to pay money to eschew portions of the game; in other words, paying to not play the game. That's essentially what the PW2 concept is: being able to pay money to avoid paying the game. Personally I only play a game that I know will keep me entertained, or in simpler terms, a game which is just fun. If I ever reach a point at which my view becomes, "ugh, this game is so boring that I'll just pay $20 to skip half of it," then my instinct is to just quit playing it (if even for a temporary time, e.g. a few months), rather than pay money to not play it. That $20 would be better spent elsewhere.

/snip

Couldn't have said it better. If the game sucks enough that I want to use real money to avoid playing some of it......it's time to find another game.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #27 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I simply don't see it as fun to pay money to eschew portions of the game;

That may certainly be true, but we are still left with the inexorable question: how does eschewing a portion of the game qualify as "winning"?

Bear in mind "it doesn't" qualifies as an answer.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 12:30pm:
how does eschewing a portion of the game qualify as "winning"?

You're being overly pedantic about the term.  P2W can simply mean using $ to advance your character or to gain access to things that other players do not have unless they also spend dollars.  A stack of rez cakes (although really, in my last 2 TRs I've used the one from the Korthos quest that costs 5 TP and that's it), a stack of mana pots, an Otto's Box, a ruby eye augment, whatever.

You're using $ to advance your character rather than relying on the things you find in the game.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #29 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 1:22pm:
You're being overly pedantic about the term.  P2W can simply mean using $ to advance your character or to gain access to things that other players do not have unless they also spend dollars.  A stack of rez cakes (although really, in my last 2 TRs I've used the one from the Korthos quest that costs 5 TP and that's it), a stack of mana pots, an Otto's Box, a ruby eye augment, whatever.

You're using $ to advance your character rather than relying on the things you find in the game.

Being overly pedantic and splitting hairs is the second biggest pasttime here.  After name calling and rage flaming.  Unfortunately, it is in front of posting pics of boobs and donuts.  Sad

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 1:22pm:

You do raise a valid point.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Steelstar
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 15th, 2016 at 12:03pm:
I'm not opposed to Otto's boxes.  I even use duped ones if I can pretend they are legit

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1466455972

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #32 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Steel wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:42pm:
Look at me!  Give me attention!  I'm lonely!

Change socks then.  This one stinks, Grand.  Like a rat.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Steel wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:42pm:

lol, looks like someone still can't sit down..... ouch!

IP Logged

Steelstar
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:52pm:

Truth hurts doesn't it exploiter? What's the matter? you afraid someone from the mobos will figure out that your'e just another Dirty PC member?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #35 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 8:01am
Print Post  
You cast Raise Dead on your weak drama's soul stone.
You rolled a 1.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:52pm:

Nicely done Steel, you know you have struck a nerve when Duchess Shill gets so excised that she starts to call you me, welcome aboard.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 2:50am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 12:30pm:
That may certainly be true, but we are still left with the inexorable question: how does eschewing a portion of the game qualify as "winning"?

Bear in mind "it doesn't" qualifies as an answer.

There is no real definition of "winning" in an MMO like DDO, so the whole term is something of a misnomer--it's more applicable to mobile games a la Clash of Clans in which you can very definitely conquer over others and "win" against other players as a result of money spent. And since DDO =/= Clash of Clans, any discussion about "winning" the game is just a semantics game.

Either way, I view P2W things (or whatever you want to call them) in the game as detrimental to the game for reasons I've stated above. I don't think that having a discussion about the semantics of the word "winning" will edge anyone to any actually fruitful discussion on the issue, because that discussion is just that: a semantics game. Bottom line is that I think having tomes more-or-less solely obtainable from the store is a bad idea, as do I think it's a bad idea to have instant-level-skip Otto Boxes in the store, among other things as well. Call it what you want, but IMO these things present a problem.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint