Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) The hostages are free to talk (Read 23506 times)
Yobai
Epic Poster

Re: The hostages are free to talk
Reply #25 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
"Of course the real trick is in interpreting what you are reading on the forums. If one plays the game it becomes much easier to sort the wheat from the chaff.

And there really is something to the argument that the forums can represent a skewed picture. You may well not hear from the 95 people who think their runekeeper is just fine but the 5 who don't might go to the forum with their grievances.

The RK dev, being too busy in his off time playing DOTA or Minecraft for LOTRO, goes to the forums for ideas and what does he find there?

But on the same token it really pays for the players to conduct themselves with maturity and grace. It drove me nuts to see players crapping all over Turbine in their posts, especially the PvMPers, as if insulting the developer was the key to getting positive results.

Devs are human beings like everyone else and don't like to be told they suck because the player's experience is not what they think it should be. I can say from experience that one gets a hell of at lot further with honey than vinager when it comes to developers.

I mean, what is a dev supposed to do with a 'this game sucks now I quit' thread? But in the end my own philosophy is that a developer needs to get in there and get personally invested in what he or she is working on. It's hard to picture a guy like Gary Grisby saying, 'playing wargames...in my spare time? Who has time for that? I'll just read the forums...' "

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #26 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
"Q: Also adding in the move to the laggy Turbine servers, because no one believed that latency would become an issue once you're going trans-atlantic.

I'd be playing on Live at Turbine, with our data shack barely a state away, and still be lagging out!

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #27 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
"Q: Do you have any idea if Turbine really, genuinely gave out video cards to "winners" during those stress tests?

Good question. I really couldn't say but I highly doubt they gave out many. Hell decent video cards of any kind were in short supply in my day.

This is probably how the card was awarded:

QA Director: Hey, Mike, your 3D card still working?

QA Guy: Sorta, sometimes.

QA Director: Great. Yank it out, they need it for a contest.

QA Guy: ...
"
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:04pm by Yobai »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #28 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
" Something I have found to be exceptional to the game industry is the almost complete lack of internal criticism. Everyone is scared of offending anyone else (well, except QA, they're open season: I haven't met a veteran QA yet who doesn't have at least one story of being treated with blatant disrespect, it just comes with the territory). Basically the thought process is, 'if I tell so-and-so his work is derivative tripe, how might that hurt me down the road?'. All in all the atmosphere isn't one likely to produce a lot of frankness.

But the other thing I'd add to my meandering goes back to one of my favorite bits from Patton, where Codman comments to Patton that sometimes his men can't tell when he is acting, to which Patton replies, 'It's not important for them to know. It's only important for me to know'. I think big problems really start when companies start believing their own spin. No question there was a fair bit of that in play at Turbine, at least below the executive level."

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #29 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
"Q: how did you guys pull together 12 competent players to test raids in tier 2 challenge mode? Did you pull in devs? Did you hire testers (did they know how to play their class)?

QA had a 6 member team dedicated to instance testing and they were pretty competent at their classes. I remember 12-mans being tested with an additional 6 from QA (for example I'd play hunter, Sarah would play her burg, Mark his champ, Scott on his guard, and so forth, the four of us named all played on Live, and the remaining two would be those considered capable with the needed classes).

So an all-QA testing session wasn't Keystone Kops or anything. But not comparable to a veteran raiding kin on Live, more like a fairly decent group with a few pugged slots.

At other times the instance QA team would play with 6 devs. And the devs were generally baddies. However a lot of the actual polish feedback would come from the test servers."

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #30 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
"I felt that to a degree I would just be confirming what a lot of people already surmised. LOTRO's community is a pretty intellectual bunch. I think some are in willing denial but obviously few of them frequent this forum.

Sparce content, recycled content, decisions that alienated many long term fans, increasingly blatant monetization (I despised the ubiquitous Turbine coin icon and the endless gratuitous references to the 'store'...just the name LOTRO Store perfectly sums up the degree of artistry in their approach), repeated layoffs, a CM out to crush any murmer of discontent...none of these things generally typify a well-helmed ship at full steam.

One can-and I always will-point to what was accomplished with so little. I'm proud to have had the opportunity to contribute in some way to LOTRO. And the sad thing is, even at our SoM sub numbers the game was still profitable.

Then LOTRO was essentially put on the corner to get pimped until the last cent could be wrung out of it, just another resource to be exploited. But the beauty of the game does at least stand as a legacy of the old Turbine magic.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #31 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
"After Mirkwood the design decisions were increasingly like grasping into thin air, the cooks tossing random ingredients into a pot hoping for the best. The current state of LOTRO is the aggregate of all those decisions: a game with no distinct personality or sense of design continuity, a hodge-podge of borrowed, half-realized, and abandoned systems. Basically, bloody awful. But if there are still people having fun with it, I'm glad, it would be sad to see the plug finally pulled regardless."

"So many of such changes were driven by the belief that one needed to make the game 'more accessible', convienience and all that.  Arguably, they were trying to attract a type of gamer who was just never going to stick with LOTRO anyway. 

If taking the time to ride to a certain town to do your crafting (or to a certain dungeon for a raid) was too much to ask of the player, how much more was expecting them to grind out 75, 85 to 100 levels?  As a player myself I think the only meangingul aggregate effect of the changes for accessibility were to create a sense of triviality about the whole business that has obviously turned many off."
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:27pm by Yobai »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #32 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
"One thing I'd like to underscore generally (not that Danchir is saying as much) is that I was never aware personally of any deliberate attempts to mislead players (no rooms of Mr. Burns and Co. cackling about players being rubes). Mostly, when new features were discussed but didn't materialize (and long time players can doubtless recall for themselves examples, such the 'LI revamp' that has floated up about once a year since SoM) it was a case of logistical concerns intervening. And departmental communications were not always great (such being a common enough woe in any company). To say a word in defense of the front facing guys, at times they just weren't kept up to speed with development priorities. Patience became a target in the community for her 'no advantage' comments vis F2P but as far as she was told, that was the policy."

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
This is probably the best thread on the site, thanks for filtering these gems yobai.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #34 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
"Speaking for myself, no.  I wish I hadn't gone back the second time.  The reason being, having had the experience of Turbine of the Westwood days, when it really was like a family and had that old school atmosphere, it just wasn't the same at Needham.  It wouldn't be entirely accurate to say that Turbine had gone totally corporate (at least as of RoI) but it definitely wasn't what it used to be.  And the obviousness of where LOTRO sat in the general scheme of things was hard to accept, given that LOTRO was why I went to Turbine in the first place.

Speaking to a guy or gal interested in QA, the industry, or just in being a part of LOTRO, I would say: go for it.  There are still some good people at Turbine, its name yet carries some prestige, and if you like LOTRO it's as good a place to start as anywhere, particularly if you are already in New England.  The QA director is a decent guy, you'll get some good QA experience at Turbine (QA isn't what it used to be either thanks to attrition but it's still decent by industry standards), and the occasional WB swag isn't bad.  Job security, however, is obviously a bit of a concern as is cost of living.  I made it for a few years on the pittance I was paid at the time but easy, it was not."

"One thing I would point out to would-be Turbinites as a positive is the company's history of shipping titles. If you are looking at a career in the industry, in QA or wherever, having shipped titles on your résumé is big. As I mentioned at an earlier point, one can spend years in the business and through happenstance have no shipped products to one's credit. "
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:35pm by Yobai »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #35 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
" One can-and many do-take away the lesson that failure is acceptable. A low bar is a safe bet for all hands. Take the diminishing quality of LOTRO (I'd say 'diminishing' is being subjective but the marketplace has spoken by mostly leaving.)

This is the result of a chain of ill-conceived design decisions piled one on top of the other, a landslide of crap that finally drowned Middle Earth like the great flood in the lore.

Nobody was ever fired for that directly, in fact I highly doubt anyone within the company even openly suggested that the gaping wounds in LOTRO were all self-inflicted.

Some have suggested I'm a big meanie for attacking the direction of development, just a disgruntled QA peon being vindictive and unfair. I'd say I'm a LOTRO player who's been playing games since before some of the younger devs were born and can tell the difference between shit and sugar. It is what it is.

But there are lessons there that a would-be designer could recognize and put to good use moving forward. That's the fork in the road. You've seen how a good game can go bad and why; such knowledge is a valuable asset.

Most don't start out thinking, I'm going to run this title into the ground, screw the players, I'm getting my cheddar regardless. Some of the bad ideas on LOTRO were based on reasonable enough assumptions. It can really pay off to see some of the potential pitfalls and learn from them as you say: not on my watch.

As for LOTRO, the absolute bottom line lesson: understand your core audience and work for and with them, design for the players you have, not those you don't."

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #36 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
"I've described at length how we over stretched ourselves with secondary projects and expenses but it still amazes me to think back on that time.

Put simply, Turbine ran itself into the ground. All of the spin in the world (and Turbine's spin machine is first rate) can't hide from discerning eyes the facts of the matter. DDO was a bomb, LOTRO withered on the vine as we played around with console dev kits, and we ultimately accepted vassal status to WB from a position of weakness and desperation.

From what I heard from friends higher up the food chain than myself, WB wasn't entirely happy with what they found once their own people got their teeth into our account books.

As it was WB acquired us for a song, damn near at cost, with conditional future payments being presented as part of the lump sum in the press. The whole thing was a shame and set against that backdrop individual design decisions within LOTRO take on a certain insignificance.

But I find absolutely nothing exceptional in the Turbine story in this respect. The themes if not the same scenarios have been played out in dozens of companies. Look at the incredible collapse of old Infinity Ward mere months after MW2 was one of the biggest entertainment successes of all time. Whether one is talking about an infantry company or a game company, everything stands or falls based on leadership.

That isn't to say that the leadership in a Turbine scenario is bad per se, rather that its priorities may be far removed from what the customers would like to see.

Oh I wouldn't say Turbine's leadership was good. In fact it was conspicuously lacking in many areas. But the priority for the Crowley regime was finding a buyer for the company.

It that much at least it succeeded. The investors got some return on their investment, the execs no doubt rode out with a tidy sum."
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:42pm by Yobai »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #37 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
"A few months after the news WB sent out an advance party to commence indoctrination.  We were summoned to a meeting room and shown a 10 or 15 minute WB promo video and welcomed into the 'WB family'. 

The duo who addressed us seemed utterly out of place in our battered, dark warehouse space and I don't doubt they were counting the seconds to the return flight to Burbank.  I hadn't lived in LA at that time and found them rather odd. 

But even more odd was learning we were then to go to paper time sheets.  I laughed out loud.  Paper time sheets?  It's the 21st Century and WB games was on paper time sheet recording.

At that moment I realized that that division was not as high speed as one might have hoped.

As for the exact figures, we were told at the time (this is going back 5 years now almost to the day) and the upfront was as I recall less than 100 million. My friends and I were privately stunned.  As I said, it felt like we were being bought out at cost."
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:45pm by Yobai »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Marketing
Reply #38 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
"The marketing team was very good at presenting an image of success to the world. And mostly the media accepted everything at face value. At the time I was somewhat perplexed by the strategy.

How do all these obscure gaming awards, articles on gaming sites, and media interviews sell LOTRO to a wider audience? Surely anyone who followed Massively or Ten Ton would have long since become aware of LOTRO.

But it was really about the image. The real measures of success were the sub numbers and we were a private company and under no obligation to reveal them even if we'd wanted to. 'Best MMO', 'Best Community', 'Best Expansion'...all those strongly suggest success in a vacuum of hard data.

As for bringing in new subs...well, that wasn't really their forte. Just look at the awful splash screens. As the grandson of the guy who designed the Wonder Bread package, I wouldn't describe our marketing team as a stable of ad wizards."

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Exploits
Reply #39 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
"Exploits can be a tricky one to assign the blame for. Some absolutely should have been caught.

The QA process can tend to see exploits go unnoticed. When tackling a system like LOTRO with so many moving parts QA processes tend to be very methodical.

Test plans outline how an instance is supposed to work-at stage 1 the boss does x, at stage 2, z-and in following them testers can become tunnel visioned on what they expect to see.

Although the sterotypical description of QA implies that testers are there to find problems, in practice their role is to ensure functionality.

Exploit finding requires an entirely freeform approach: one has to think like a player (I found a few big IA bugs-by no means all-simply because I knew how I as a player would approach that system).

But as good as LOTRO QA was, such [finding exploits] was not the department's strong suit. The department had a system that was great at processing huge amounts of delivered material with exceptional efficiency but not so good at predicting unintended behaviors.

Part of it can also be a simple lack of time to spend hours monkey testing around on an instance trying to break it. And there's the whole dev-QA relationship.

I think a good QA should simply take as a given that the dev effed up and you just have to figure out how. But I don't think a lot of guys saw it that way; they looked up to and trusted the competence of the developers, a faith that served neither dev or QA well.

On the other hand, the player's objectives are clear and free of procedural or physcological impediments: find the easiest and most lucrative manner in which to complete the instance.

Part of it is human nature: the potential rewards for the player in finding exploits are much greater than the QA guys working off the test plan.

For the QA guys, an exploit bug is ultimately just another number in the data base; for the player a found exploit can mean LOTRO riches. This doesn't mean the QA guys won't do due diligence but rather that the player has more incentive (the extra underlying desire that can give the brain that extra juice) to really concentrate on breaking the instance.

If he or she is an experienced player they know the game as well if not far better than the average QAer. These factors tend to make players far better MMO exploit finders than QA as a rule.

The importance of an exploit in house tended to scale to the ease of the exploit, how widespread its use was, and how impact-full the exploit was on the wider game.

So the skirm flag bug, based on the potential impact on the game, was a big deal. A less significant exploit that just meant the instance could be completed quicker without massive rewards accruing would be considered less important.

As for blame, there wasn't a whole lot of it thrown around, at least openly. After all, if a dev said, how could QA miss this exploit, the QA could reasonably respond, how could you put the damn thing in there to begin with?"

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Game Economy
Reply #40 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
"One thing that really surprised me going to Turbine as a player first was the lack of interest in the game economy.

As a player I had assumed that this was something MMO companies would assign a lot of importance to. After all, it's a facet of the game that impacts virtually all players on a daily basis and can strongly influence player behavior.

But in fact, and except in the most general of terms and usually in relation to train wrecks ala the skirm flag bug, the game economy was a complete non-issue. Obviously this isn't an easy area to track-one can't ask Bungo Chubbs at the Michel Delving AH how the markets have been trending compared to last week on Arkenstone and compared to Landy-but I imagined someone would at least have established some rough targets to work from.

Again, this is far easier said then done and verges on dev keeping track of who hates who in the Ettenmoors but as gold was a massive incentive to exploit (and really the biggest negative from exploiting as otherwise it doesn't make much difference in the big picture) I always wanted to see price ceilings. How high or low you could reasonably set a price ceiling on AH transactions would in turn be based on mean averages for player wealth."
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:53pm by Yobai »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Patches
Reply #41 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
"Shutting down the game for a hotfix is really a decision where one is balancing the known impact of the issue versus the not inconsiderable logistical burden of the process.

And after the experience of the Moria winter, where the game was constantly being brought down and in so doing was costing us subscriptions left and right (when even the CEO basically says, this downtime BS needs to stop, there's a problem) there was a reluctance to turn off the switches if we could possibly avoid it.

After all, let's say an exploit comes in and we assemble a war room, stop the presses, and bring down the game...what if a week later another issue comes in?

Generally speaking it made more sense, at least in the short term, to hold off until a proper patch that included multiple fixes could be arranged. But unquestionably the 'let it ride' approach was frustrating and in the aggregate probably cost us more player confidence then multiple down times would have."

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Leveled Games
Reply #42 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
"

One might step back and wonder if the level-based system a game like LOTRO uses all but guarantees a problematic end game.

It essentially works out like a pyramid: in the beginning, rolling your toon, you have a ton of content at your disposal, multiple paths to level (in Eriador you can pick and choose your way with some freedom until almost 50). But as the game progresses through multiple expansions, that content begins to taper down to a narrow path until finally 95% of all the content that the game has to offer is now obsolete in the rear view mirror.

Assuming a brisk pace, in a month you've burned through hundreds of dollars in expansions representing years of development just to end up standing in an AH in Gondor wondering what you're supposed to do next. All the unscaled instances that came before are pointless now and since scaling means generic rewards, you'll naturally just pick the easiest and spam it via IF from said AH.

Any new IC is almost like throwing out bread at a soup kitchen: they're just going to be hungry again tomorrow. And pity the new player faced with that 100 level grind just to reach that AH...9/10 will give up by level 30 having spent zero money and having had no chance to really connect to the game.

The prized 'casual' player who decides 100 levels sure doesn't seem like a casual investment."

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

LOTRO 2 (and by extension DDO2)
Reply #43 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
" Q: Aylwen, do you think a LotRO 2 could ever happen? Or a better game engine for what we have now? Were either mooted in your time there?

It never came up during my time; there would have been a dozen reasons why we couldn't have done it but the experience of AC2 alone (a kind of lingering trauma for Turbine) would have been enough to put people off.

I can't really imagine a LOTRO2 in any recognizable form ever seeing the light of day. A Moors only game would be viable and interesting (and reasonably cheap) but LOTRO herself...I think we're just left with our memories."

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #44 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Those were the best parts of his/her posts sifted out of 59 pages of BB forum dreck.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Infinite Crisis
Reply #45 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
" Infinite Crisis

Since IC was after my time, I'll relate a (slightly redacted) explanation I got from a friend at the company related to why a mutual friend-a 10 year Turbine vet-was laid off last fall.

"So, infinite crisis was costing 4mil a month to make. And they dumped all their marketing budget into a 'twitch' campaign....which is a new sorta web thing where you can watch people play games.....and unless you are Korean and playing starcraft, no one gives two fucks about. It resulted in Infinite Crisis peak concurrency being....less than 1,000 people. Hell most people had no inkling the thing even came out.

So, hemorrhaging money, total failure, we gotta make it look like we are doing something to fix the faucet of losses. So, they shifted ______ to a lead on infinite crisis....and laid him off. See, we're saving money!"

There was no way IC could have succeeded. The necessary experience, expertise, and tech wasn't there. The MOBA market is dominated by DOTA.

And when you task Monolith (the Batman guys) with making a LOTR MOBA and then have Turbine make the DC heroes one, you're just going to end up with two failures."

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Very interesting. That was great.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Alright, stole all your hard work and reposted in another site, full credit to you m8, this was a massive undertaking on your part.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 6:34pm:
"But such was unthinkable at Turbine. To have any influence as a QAer you really needed to forge personal friendships with the developers and even then you were fighting an uphill battle, regardless of how fully you had demonstrated your knowledge of the game. But on the same token a lot of QA are trying to work their way to devside and so quite often their priorities can be compromised in their quest for patrons.

I will say I was very loyal to my department; a good QAer has to be honest or else he/she isn't much use as QA. But honesty isn't always likely to get you on everyone's Christmas card list. Yet a QAer who really believes in their profession is a real gem for any company."

I've seen this kind of thing in too many companies.  I was in a small ISP in the 90s and the people in the NOC were completely disparaging of the people who worked tech support.  I tried to explain to my team that these people were only trying to help our customers, and that their efforts kept problems from being escalated to our group, but it was a long and difficult battle to try to bring about an attitude change.  It's too easy to fall into the mindset that "our group" is superior to "their group" and to dismiss anything that comes from that "inferior" group as being insignificant. Too often, that isn't the case.

The reality is that it's often the people who are closest to the customers who can provide the best ideas about how to better support those customers. A strict focus on the technology is often not the best way to provide the best service.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #49 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
NP.  It was a good read but over almost 60 pages, so I just posted the more DDO-related/generic turbine stuff.

there is a bit more LOTRO stuff that only LOTRO players would find relevant or understand.

funny how much of the forum theorizing is so close to the mark.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint