Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) next update (Read 7672 times)
Sailias
Dragon Raider

Re: next update
Reply #25 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:21am:
Lynnabel,

Why wouldn't they at least make a post (Release Notes or some other formal introduction) that tells about Update 35, especially Dragonborn?

I mean they were good and ready for us to preview them yesterday until a technical difficulty got in the way.

I can't see any reason why they can't give us details on the new race instead so we have something to think and talk about until the next Lamannia preview next week. 

As people will probably say to you on the motherboards when you asked this exact question verbatim, I dunno. From what I can tell from the outside looking in, they're just trying to get as much done as possible.

Release notes are aggregated from their version control, and version control is often messy during production crunches. I know Jerry had to ask me a few times what the hell I was talking about in my pushes, because to me something like "fixed the issue with player choice option in instance" makes sense but it doesn't make sense to literally anyone else because wow programming under a time crunch messes with you. I know other designers and developers were much better at actually using their words instead of commits labeled "adsasdfnsn things for steelstar", but since small changes can sometimes ripple through the entire project, it can be hard to focus and pare down what's actually ready to release and review and what's just some stepping stone for character architecture rebuilds that won't see the light of day for maybe a year, who knows.

Take a day to just play the game, or don't. The update will happen eventually, and when it does, I'm sure the Dragonborn will be the beefy shredded like lettuce eye candy dragon man I'll wear around like a skin suit just feeling those pecs on my skin

mm

what was I talking about?

Anyway, tldr, release notes can be complicated because development lines are aggregated from the same place that longer term things are sent to, so chill the heck out

Oh and btw because I know the mobos won't listen, I'm not actually at SSG right now, I just got Jerry to let me make a shitty joke. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Hang in there, guys.

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

e4tless
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I wish they would not rush it so it will be stable.  I hate it when software companies push bad code.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #27 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:59am:
Release notes are aggregated from their version control, and version control is often messy during production crunches.

They have version control?

Sailias wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:59am:
Take a day to just play the game, or don't. The update will happen eventually, and when it does, I'm sure the Dragonborn will be the beefy shredded like lettuce eye candy dragon man I'll wear around like a skin suit just feeling those pecs on my skin

mm

what was I talking about?

Sex dungeons.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #28 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:33pm:
Sex dungeons.

Except for 3BC, where it's sex blimps.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:41pm by spathic »  

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #29 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:33pm:
They have version control?

Every time someone says something similar it makes me laugh my ass off.

Do you even know what version control is? From the way people keep going back to this, I'm assuming no, because VCS is a backbone of literally everything that uses one or more programmers.

SSG is hiring. You seem like you know how video games work. Go make them.

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #30 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:42pm:
Do you even know what version control is? From the way people keep going back to this, I'm assuming no, because VCS is a backbone of literally everything that uses one or more programmers.

Okay then, what's the correct term for that thing where they don't keep reintroducing the same bug?

If I'm good enough to work at SSG, that is the problem right there.

spathic wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:40pm:
Except for 3BC and Dune, where it's sex blimps.

Sex Blimps© Baron Harkonnen.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #31 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:51pm
Print Post  

Don't be a sperg.  You know they mean regression testing.

Pull on the Gianthold door lately, rock star?

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #32 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:09am
Print Post  

Actually, yes and that is why I say they don't have (proper) version control.

No, I don't need a 6 figure pay cut to work with little games.  I work in the real world with programming that provides life support systems and flight termination safety zones. We don't re-introduce the same bugs and yes, I have seen programming for this game and the updates.

There were so many times that a release came out that re-introduced the EXACT same bug. That is why I laugh at what you call "version control". If you mean "this version puts back the bug because maybe it wasn't really a bug and we need to test that" then okay, you can have that one. 

It wasn't rocket science for people on this board to come to the same conclusion.

..now back to the dribble and boobs.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:30am
Print Post  

Yeah, you can fuck right off junior. We already have a bunch of established old 'oh I'm so experienced in coding' farts here we don't need you trying to take on the role. I couldn't give a fuck if you want to post but don't annoy us by attempting that well worn trope little guy.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:30am by Grand »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:56am
Print Post  
e4tless wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 12:22pm:
I wish they would not rush it so it will be stable.  I hate it when software companies push bad code.

The issue is that regardless of whether they manage to make a deadline or not, they rush it and it is not stable.  They always manage to push bad code.

Hell, even some of the things they release that aren't buggy are just plain stupid.

Revaulting wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:10pm:
Okay then, what's the correct term for that thing where they don't keep reintroducing the same bug?

That's called regression testing.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:59am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #35 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 5:31am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:51pm:
You know they mean regression testing.

Cool. They have version control; they don't have regression testing. Glad we sorted that out.

IP Logged

Canteen Boy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:51pm:
Don't be a sperg.  You know they mean regression testing.

Pull on the Gianthold door lately, rock star?

I thought they actually fixed that one finally?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #37 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:04pm
Print Post  

A fair number of us around do know about Version Control.
in my line of job part of it is called Non-Regression Tests... which are basically tests to make sure all the bugs found in the previous version are still dead. There's also the puny thing called Correection Lift, which is basically taking all the patches that were inserted to the code and making sure they are included in the new code.

I haven't coded in a long time, and last time I did some serious coding it was in Assembler... and edited with barebone text editor. ( no, not vi, but not much more )
They don't need somebody like me, they need junkies that can move a mouse in a visual thingie window.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #38 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 2:51pm:
Must have been a 'our data shows' situation.

Well said.

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #39 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Canteen Boy wrote on Mar 3rd, 2017 at 10:00am:
I thought they actually fixed that one finally?

HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA
HAHAHA

No.  Sad

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #40 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:56am:
That's called regression testing.

Sorry, I call that, you know, TESTING to verify that they didn't fuck up and put bugs back in.

The act of not putting the same crappy code back in from a previous version is also revision control where you lock the idiots out of the previous, buggy branches. Whatever we call it doesn't matter.

Software Regression should be their middle name as they excel at it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint