Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Another terrible design decision? (Read 24097 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Another terrible design decision?
Reply #50 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 11:43am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 11:16am:
I would have ran THAT Reaper maybe once a month, maybe irregularly when friends logged on and wanted to run it - I won't run THIS Reaper, because it's just a Grind!

You think that they would have invested the time and effort to build a new difficulty that people run irregularly.  Maybe once a month. 

Lol. 

The only way a new difficulty gets built is if it will be run daily by a decent portion of the player base.  There was enough evidence that a "no reward, just challenge" system was not of interest to enough players that they needed to add a carrot.  Or just not bother.  They didn't even add much of a carrot.  The power in the reaper trees is nominal.  But it is a carrot, none the less.  It helps that it coincides with racial TR.  It is much easier to get reaper XP from 1-20 than from 20-30. 

Also, the R10 runs I've seen are just resource guzzling rez-fests.  There's not much you can do if you are selling mana pots and rezzes and rest shrines to prevent a completion.  A real R10 completion is a no deaths run.  Or a run with fewer deaths than there are party members.  Even then, due to the variable nature of champ spawning and reaper spawning, you can get "lucky runs" where you just don't face that many, or face them at the right times, on the right type of mob, in the right room, etc.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #51 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I won't run THIS Reaper, because it's just a Grind!

Please name something that you do in DDO that is not some form of grind.  Aren't you always leveling a character or grinding materials, loot, etc?

Stop acting like a grind is some huge  negative.  You have been grinding stuff in DDO for years.  Now suddenly that is offensive?

Maybe you meant to say:  It is a grind that I feel is too long for too little reward.  That's a valid complaint.  But to say "Oh no.  How dare you subject me to a grind!"  After years of grinding and grinding.  You just sound stupid.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
FFS!

No Reaper was not designed for me!

But it seems it also wasn't designed to provide that "extreme challenge" so many people seemed to want!

If it had been there wouldn't be any R10 Completions yet!
There would barely be any R7 Completions and most players would still be happy to run Elite whereas I now can't get a group together for Elite BB Heroic Gianthold Walkups!

Now Elite BB GH Walkups I have no problems with on most of my characters but I do still have some characters that do need a little help there! {And a lot more help for Vale, RR, Shav etc.!}.

It's even worse in Epics where Dailies are now becoming R1 too because everyone needs their ludicrous grind RXP!

Currently we have a lot of players trying to get low and mid tier Reaper reduced in difficulty {R1 is already easier than Elite to Casters but yeah!} - I DON'T WANT THAT!

I'm on your side here - I want you to have an "Extreme Challenge" difficulty!
I just don't want you ONLY running that - It should be something you set up a weekly or monthly group for - Something you don't do all the time!
Because all the time = Eventually {with DDO that's usually sooner rather than later too} it just goes back to being a boring grind!

I would have ran THAT Reaper maybe once a month, maybe irregularly when friends logged on and wanted to run it - I won't run THIS Reaper, because it's just a Grind!

Reaper 1 is only slightly more difficult than Elite, and you get more XP than a regular elite streak (with bonus of reaper XP).

So, just join the R1 streak groups instead of "sticking to your guns" that it is too hard.  don't jump in front of the group and don't go off on your own, and you'll be fine in those groups.

Your beliefs that they are so many "absolutes" in this game makes you appear stubborn and/or stupid and/or unwilling to learn anything new or different than what you've known in the past.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #53 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 12:25pm:
Reaper 1 is only slightly more difficult than Elite, and you get more XP than a regular elite streak (with bonus of reaper XP).

So, just join the R1 streak groups instead of "sticking to your guns" that it is too hard.  don't jump in front of the group and don't go off on your own, and you'll be fine in those groups.

Your beliefs that they are so many "absolutes" in this game makes you appear stubborn and/or stupid and/or unwilling to learn anything new or different than what you've known in the past.

R1 is easier than E/EE in some ways.

In particular, if you've acquired a few of the Reaper enhancements they help a bit.  The spell point gems are a big bonus if you're a blue bar user.

With the increased XP bonus, R1 is well worth it.  I can't really see a reason to run Elite/EE any more.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #54 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
FFS!

But it seems it also wasn't designed to provide that "extreme challenge" so many people seemed to want!

There would barely be any R7 Completions and most players would still be happy to run Elite whereas I now can't get a group together for Elite BB Heroic Gianthold Walkups!

Now Elite BB GH Walkups I have no problems with on most of my characters but I do still have some characters that do need a little help there! {And a lot more help for Vale, RR, Shav etc.!}.

It's even worse in Epics where Dailies are now becoming R1 too because everyone needs their ludicrous grind RXP!

Currently we have a lot of players trying to get low and mid tier Reaper reduced in difficulty {R1 is already easier than Elite to Casters but yeah!} - I DON'T WANT THAT!

I just don't want you ONLY running that - It should be something you set up a weekly or monthly group for - Something you don't do all the time!
Because all the time = Eventually {with DDO that's usually sooner rather than later too} it just goes back to being a boring grind!

LOL.  I predicted this quite accurately.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1486412642/24#24

Digimonk wrote on Feb 7th, 2017 at 3:50pm:
A month or two ago when Reaper hit Lama, our guild had a lively discussion about it.  I predicted that it would be exciting for most at first but in the end would only serve to further divide the haves from the have nots in DDO. 

Power gamers will be fine.  They'll just Reaper with their powergamer friends/guilds or solo missions on low to mid skull Reaper.

Casuals on the other hand won't be welcomed into the high-skull Reaper runs because they'd just be a handicap.   They generally won't have the gear, past lives and min/max'd builds to solo EE/LE/low skull Reaper.  They might normally be fine just running non-Reaper like they have in the past, but now the pool of powergamers that have helped/carried them through EE/LE will be MIA because they're busy running Reaper.  This will lead to increased wait times for LFMs to fill and as a result, increased boredom and frustration with the game.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #55 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
FFS!

Sorry, but SSG screwed you.  Get on board with Reaper, even just an R1 speed run, or be prepared to solo. 

Had they set the rXP for the enhancement tree at more reasonable levels, I'd be glad to hop in your  E BB whatever run.  But because I'll be on this wheel longer than I'll be on the racial TR wheel, I will exclusively be playing Reaper for the foreseeable future.  Especially when I can solo it on R1 anyway...

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
How much more grind can they squeeze out of people will be the real test.  You can only squeeze a lemon so hard and so long before there's no more juice.

I'm not sure how much more grind the general populace has in them, especially when there is no need for all that grind to do the highest end content.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #57 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:31pm:
How much more grind can they squeeze out of people will be the real test.  You can only squeeze a lemon so hard and so long before there's no more juice.

Gender Reincarnations.  Or hair, maybe.   Grin

"You were a red-headed chick in your past life.  You hated yourself, but you've mostly gotten over it.  Three times per rest, you can apply a Vicious affect to your main hand weapon."

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #58 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:43pm:
Gender Reincarnations.  Or hair, maybe.   Grin

"You were a red-headed chick in your past life.  You hated yourself, but you've mostly gotten over it.  Three times per rest, you can apply a Vicious affect to your main hand weapon."

"You were a stereotypical blond in your past life. Three times per rest you give a handjob to the barbarian behind a stack of barrels."

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

before you were born.

Reply #59 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
"You were an entitled, butt-hurt, forum-dwelling twat waffle in your past life. Three times per rest you create a sock."

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

before you were born.

Reply #60 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Maybe they'll do obnoxious forum identity past lives:

"In your past life you were a bizarre miscegenation of exclamation points and capitalization. Three times per rest you are surprised by the interaction of poor gaming skills and odd build choices."

"In your past life you felt the need to remind everyone that Wisconsin was the birthplace of D&D. Three times per rest you can emit an Aura of Smugness, increasing hate by over 9000!"

"In your past life you were barely readable.
Three times per rest,
You are able
To cause trash mobs to stop
And try to figure out what the fuck
You're trying to accomplish."

Etc

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #61 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
spathic wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 6:33pm:
"In your past life you were a bizarre miscegenation of exclamation points and capitalization. Three times per rest you are surprised by the interaction of poor gaming skills and odd build choices."

I like this one.

"Every level, one random quest may only be entered on Reaper 5 or higher."

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #62 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 8:27pm
Print Post  

Banner.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
"In your past life you were Teh_Troll, but now you appear to be Mr. Helmet. Three times per rest your nipples disappear until you feast on the corpse of a halfling infidel, granting you a bonus to dick size."
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:01pm by Beer »  

Sock of WonderfulFoppyBint
Stockholm Syndrome victim of the Sock Master
Minion of the Lego-stepper Strake
Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:10pm
Print Post  

"In your past life you felt the need to remind everyone that Wisconsin was the birthplace of D&D. Three times per rest you can emit an Aura of Smugness, increasing hate by over 9000!"

Three times per rest,
You are able

Etc

Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  

I'm not sure how much more grind the general populace has in them, especially when there is no need for all that grind to do the highest end content.

Yes, they killed the golden egg chicken. Sound grind made them money, now drive players out. I have 3 friends who ran a bunch of TRs back to back since a couple weeks after U34... now all quitted and log only to do a quest per week.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #66 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
You can only squeeze a lemon so hard and so long before there's no more juice.

Indeed and it appears SSG isn't making any real effort to get more lemons.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:33pm:

the fucking who panel is still broken   Roll Eyes
might be kinda distressing for LFMs to appear blank to a new player on korthos,

yay a bug front and center stopping an MMO from helping to fucking group

Cheesy

Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

before you were born.

Reply #68 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:33pm:

We're looking at after Ravenloft, probably the third quarter of 2018 for the lemon pass.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Beer wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:50pm:
the fucking who panel is still broken   Roll Eyes
might be kinda distressing for LFMs to appear blank to a new player on korthos,

yay a bug front and center stopping an MMO from helping to fucking group

Cheesy

ssg no fucking idea how to make social grouping a thing. their best idea was group bonus xp. It's sad! the real reason players get addicted to MMOs are because of the social interaction. No one plays skyrim for 6 years. straight.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #70 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 3:36pm:
No one plays skyrim for 6 years. straight.

Hey man.  Sad

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #71 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
the modding community for skyrim may be larger than DDO's player base lol

Brodual and MxR (or whatever the fuck he's called) are probably making over 50k a a year for the past few years making youtube videos.
Like ~300,000 views per video
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2017 at 1:25pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

The Grandest of Fellows
Titan Demolisher

Hail Friends!

Reply #72 - Apr 27th, 2023 at 8:31pm
Print Post  

Three times per rest,
You are able

Etc

Strake's daily news brought me here, glorious thread!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #73 - Apr 28th, 2023 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
The Grandest of Fellows wrote on Apr 27th, 2023 at 8:31pm:
Strake's daily news brought me here, glorious thread!

God damn this was one serious thread-necro.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint