Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) U36: Artificer & Battle Engineer Changes (Read 19428 times)
Bones
Stormreaver Piker

U36: Artificer & Battle Engineer Changes
Jun 6th, 2017 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487116-U36-Artificer-amp-Battle-Engine...

Quote:
Hello!
In the not-too-distant future (u36), a revamp to Artificer Battle Engineer, as well as some Artificer class features, will be heading your way! Here's what to expect:

Base class:

•Rune Arm cooldown is improved by 30%. (This is the improvement that Thermal Venting currently gives, which has been removed from the BE tree.)
   •Rune Arm Charge Decay while moving is reduced by 50%. (This is the improvement that Arcane Capacitors currently gives, which has been removed from the BE tree.)
   •There is no longer a penalty to movement speed while charging a Rune Arm.
   •Artificers now get Warhammer and Light Hammer proficiencies.
   •Improved Critical: Bludgeoning has been added to the Arti class feat list.
   •Artificer Admixture spells now fire straight down if the caster has themself hard-targeted. (This will essentially deploy it on you... assuming you're standing on solid ground.)
   •Lightning Sphere now has a functional saving throw - for both monster AND player casters

Rune Arms:

•(Note: None of this really applies to Knives Eternal, Machinations of Madness, or Whirling Words. They were already doing most of this.)
   •Rune Arm shots now scale with 100% Spell Power. Most were scaling at 50% or 80% previously.
   •Rune Arm weapon imbues now scale with 200% Melee or Ranged power (whichever is higher)
   •Homing on Rune Arms now works at about the same angles you can shoot a crossbow at and still hit your target (roughly 80 degrees). It was previously about 20 degrees for most Rune Arms, meaning you'd be shooting your crossbow and hitting your target, but your Rune Arm shots would just shoot wherever your camera was looking. Long story short, homing should be more reliable now.
   •Cannonball Shot (used by Glass Cannon) now uses homing.
   •Cannonball Shot now has a much smaller projectile, which fixes a lot of bad behavior, such as:
       •It should no longer create the projectile behind a creature you're fighting at melee range
       •It should no longer instantly explode on firing because you're playing a Gnome or Halfling and the projectile was taller than you were

Quote:
Tree Changes:

Core 2: Gets +1 Stable Charge Tier in addition to everything it already does. (This replaces Rune Arm Overcharge, which has been removed from the BE tree.)
Core 4: Gets +1 Stable Charge Tier in addition to everything it already does. (This replaces Rune Arm Overcharge, which has been removed from the BE tree.)
Core 5: Gains +15 PRR and MRR in addition to everything it already does.
Core 6: Gains +2 INT (for a total of +4), +1 Competence bonus to Crit Multiplier with Crossbows, Bastard Swords, Dwarven Axes, Light Hammers, Warhammers, and Morningstars in addition to everything it already does.

Tier 1:
Weapon Training: Add third line: Light Hammers, Warhammers, Morningstars.
Field Engineer: No changes.
NEW: Field Scrapper: +1/2/3 to Sunder DCs.
Thaumaturgical Conduits: (Moved down from Tier 2)
Item Defense: No changes.

Tier 2:
Wrack Construct: Made sure it matches Mechanic's version.
NEW: Caustic Strike: (Melee: +1/2/3 [w]) (Crossbow: +0.5/1/1.5[w]), adds 3d6 Acid damage and 10d6 Rust damage. This damage scales with Spell Power. Ranged variant requires a crossbow. 6 second cooldown.
Extra Action Boost: (Moved down from Tier 3)
Attack or Damage Boost: (Attack moved in here from T1, made multiselect with Damage.)

Tier 3:
Disable Construct: Made sure it matches Mechanic's version.
STR/DEX/INT: No changes.

Tier 4:
Battle Mastery (Fusilade/Haste Boost): Fusilade now lasts for 18 seconds (was 6).
NEW: Shatter Defenses: (Melee: +1/2/3 [w]) (Crossbow: +0.5/1/1.5[w]), procs Improved Sunder. DC 14+INT Mod+Sunder bonuses. Ranged variant requires a crossbow. 10 second cooldown, shares a cooldown with Sunder.
NEW: Agility Engine: 3/6/10% Doublestrike and Doubleshot while wearing a Rune Arm.
STR/DEX/INT: No changes.

Tier 5:
NEW: Reconstructed Armaments: +1 Competence Bonus to Critical Threat Range with chosen line (Crossbows, Hand-and-a-half, or Hammers/Morningstar).
Weapon Attachment: No changes.
NEW: Thunder-Shock Weapon: (Melee: +3 [w]) (Crossbow: 1.5[w]), +3d6 Electric Damage which scales with Spell Power. Procs Trip, DC 14+INT Mod+Sunder Bonuses. Ranged variant requires a crossbow. 12 second cooldown, shares a cooldown with Trip.
NEW: Unlock Potential: +20 Melee and Ranged Power while wearing a Rune Arm.
Tactical Mobility: Move 10% faster while wielding Rune Arm.

----

FAQs!

What's the current status of this feature?
Built and ready to roll out with U36. That said, there's still time to make adjustments (though not enough time to wholly alter direction).

Why Hammers and Morningstars?

•Artificers in P&P don't especially excel with one weapon type or another, but there are a fair few official images of them with these kinds of weapons.
   •We wanted a bludgeoning option, as well as some simple/martial options
   •All three of these weapons are somewhat underserved in DDO
   •Synergy with the Onatar deity, who has similar themes
   •Synergy with Gnomes and Dwarves, who make good Artificers in P&P and also get bonuses with these weapons.

There aren't a lot of good Hammers and Morningstars out there right now...
    •Fair! But there will be more.

Why is the Crossbow damage lower on the actives?

•Artificers tend to focus on Repeaters, who get extra returns from +[w] attacks. Cutting it by half, but multiplying it by three shots still comes out a bit ahead.

Why isn't Weapon Attachment getting changes?
    •It just got some upgrades during the Race Tree Pass.

Does Endless Fusillade still have that super-long windup animation?
    •Yes! ...But we also tripled its duration without increasing its cost. Keeping the animation means we can make it a lot more powerful.

Any changes to Arcanotechnician?
    •Not at this time. They just got a pass a little over a year ago!

So? This pass is bigger than that one was!
    •Arcanotechnician before that pass was a better tree than Battle Engineer is now (on Live) - It's a solid tree in its current state (with some good builds using it), and the base class changes above will help them.

Rune Arms DCs are really difficult to attain in Epics!
    •Yep. At this point, they have the same DC as a 10th level Artificer spell, more or less. Which isn't the easiest to attain! That isn't best fixed in the Battle Engineer tree, though. Arcanotechnician has a leg up on attaining those DCs (as it should). We added a few things behind the scenes as part of this pass that will help us better improve Rune Arm DCs in the future, if needed. In any case, most Rune Arms will be doing more damage than before regardless of DCs.

You didn't mention the poor Iron Defenders here, they're still terrible!
    •Yes, they are. In working on this pass, we did a lot of meetings, research, and discussion about Arti dog and Druid wolf pets - And came to the conclusion that a meaningful pass to improve them (not even including AI changes, just statistic and enhancement based) was going to take twice as long as the Arti pass above, at minimum. It's something we'd love to do someday, as they're a core part of these classes; it's just not in the cards for the moment.

Third Tree?
    •I wish. Not yet, sorry.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2017 at 12:49pm by Bones »  

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Re: U36: Artificer & Battle Engineer Changes
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Bones wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 12:27pm:
•It should no longer instantly explode on firing because you're playing a Gnome or Halfling and the projectile was taller than you were

I legit LOL'd at this.

As for the tree... It's much better.

Not super-awesome, but anything was an improvement over that dumpster-fire of a Battle Engineer tree.

Just increasing Endless Fusillade to 18 seconds has improved the value of this tree, since it was usually the only thing in it to work towards (everything else in Arcanotech and Harper).

Caustic Strike, the Tier 5's Thundershock Weapons, Unlock Potential and Tactical Mobility are nice touches. Proc'ing trip (using Sunder DC's? Har?) is a good add.

I still don't think you'll see many Arties using melee options (just not sturdy enough in close) but they have improved those options considerably.

You didn't mention the poor Iron Defenders here, they're still terrible!
    •Yes, they are.

Well, there's some surprising honesty. At least they're aware of it. Excuses still abound, but acknowledging that there *IS* a problem is the first step to addressing it.

At least they can still pull levers.

There aren't a lot of good Hammers and Morningstars out there right now...
    •Fair! But there will be more.

See above. At least they know. Light hammers still blow dead bears for quarters and give change, but MOAR HAMMURZ.

I have some Arty lives coming up on alts, so this should make the TR/rTR grind a little easier to bear.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I'm thinking just about everybody who read this LOLed hard, I know I did. I absolutely miss my Arti.. I could do massive damage with a GXB, but couldn't take a punch for shit, so I could tear a boss a new one, get snuffed, then wait patiently for someone to raise me while the fuckers passed around all the good loot in the chest.. *sigh*
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2017 at 2:34pm by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
some potentially nice things in there for Thrower builds, maybe (Doubleshot and Imbues with working Rune Arms)

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I still think Arcanotech will be my go to artificer tree for heroic levelling.  But, it’s nice to see that Rune arms will be generically viable.

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2017 at 2:48pm by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Well my mech is going to love the free runearm buffs.

Looks like a pure gnome light repeater build should be worthwhile with +1 crit range and +1 multi.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 3:18pm:
Well my mech is going to love the free runearm buffs.

Looks like a pure gnome light repeater build should be worthwhile with +1 crit range and +1 multi.

the tier5 of BE also has +1 range, top left side
I like gnome height though and they are INT-based...

41 AP, BE
8 AP, Harper
31 AP to put somewhere else (new tree?)

~~

Am sad about the Sphere nerf. That ability was always hilarious.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Multi comes from Mechanic (rogue 18) or BE (Arty 20), and crit Range comes from BE Tier 5 or Gnome?

How does this behoove a mechanic/arty gnome light repeater build? You still need 18 rogue levels for multi right?

How does pure mech gnome get to use rune arms? Or you mean an 18/2?
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2017 at 4:33pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
 •Rune Arm weapon imbues now scale with 200% Melee or Ranged power (whichever is higher)

/2 Arty just become worth doing the math on for throwers with rune arm offhand like on a bard split or even an uncentered Monk split
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2017 at 4:36pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 4:34pm:
/2 Arty just become worth doing the math on for throwers with rune arm offhand like on a bard split or even an uncentered Monk split

This is actually a fantastic way to boost non-star chuckers for future. potentially, devs can make imbues that activate only on hammers or axes. idk where to place such abilities, however. placing them in an enhance tree seems the easiest, but it then will skew towards whatever class tree possess it.   

maybe a new universal tree or swap something less desirable from harper, that could contain the imbues while not overly favoring specific class or race.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Carlin
Korthos Resident

Fuck the Children!

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
This is great news.  Thanks for the update!

You'll be fine if you just wash the main four parts of the body.  Armpits, Asshole, Crotch & Teeth.  In fact to save time, you can use the same brush on all four parts.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 4:34pm:

Suddenly the "Cannoneer" option in Swashbuckler became a thing.

Good catch.

I don't consider these things because I do not, and have never, played a Thrower build.

Rubbinns wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 5:03pm:
This is actually a fantastic way to boost non-star chuckers for future. potentially, devs can make imbues that activate only on hammers or axes.

They really need to open up some melee options for sure.

But I can almost set my watch to the Dev logic:

"Well, Arty can take Construct Essence (gimp) and has access Curative Admixture (also gimp) and they have lots of UMD for wands and scrolls (situational uses), AND they have Radiant Forcefield (sub-optimal, high level spell, only works for 25% reduction on physical attacks) to mitigate damage, so they're totally FINE for melee! (in Heroic Normal)".

Undecided

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Max Rune Arm Imbue Damage: 2d10 * 150 RP (LD) 11avg *((2.5)*2) = 55 Damage/Hit.

IP Logged

steelstar
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Battle Mastery (Fusilade/Haste Boost): Fusilade now lasts for 18 seconds (was 6).

Wow. 18 second of endless fusilade with GxB?  the GT goes right back to the top of the pile. That's going to be fucking amazing.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1456202865

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Going to elaborate on my PC post:

20 Arty in LD
14-20 x3 great xbow(+oc/dc)
Intelligence based
41 BE, Harper, Extra Boost from race(Dragonborn likely)

17 Boost:
5 base +1 ship +3 LD +3 race +3 BE + 2 Necklace

Fusilade:
3 seconds wind up - 18 second duration, no cooldown in LD

Total:
7 minutes of basically non stop fusilade with good ranged power and much better runearm damage plus all the normal Arty goodness.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 9:44pm:

20 Arty in LD
Intelligence based

17 Boost:

Fusilade:

Total:
7 minutes of basically non stop fusilade with good ranged power and much better runearm damage plus all the normal Arty goodness.

Yeah this will be pretty absurd.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 11:17pm:
Yeah this will be pretty absurd.

It's about fucking time.

Arty is a p2p class that's been gimp for years.

A few months of OP nonsense while everybody and their dog abuse the busted mechanics before the Nerf Hammer falls is fine by me.

At least there's an option for Epic play now.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #17 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 9:44pm:

20 Arty in LD
Intelligence based

17 Boost:

Fusilade:

Total:

What are the numbers like if you went heavy repeater in Shiradi?

I'm certain you're giving up base damage + crit profile, which is significant, but I'm thinking non-stop Shiradi procs with a (now truly) Endless Fusillade might bring Teh Lulz as well.

Unless that's losing too many Boosts from LD...  Huh

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #18 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 11:55pm:
What are the numbers like if you went heavy repeater in Shiradi?

I'm certain you're giving up base damage + crit profile, which is significant, but I'm thinking non-stop Shiradi procs with a (now truly) Endless Fusillade might bring Teh Lulz as well.

Unless that's losing too many Boosts from LD...  Huh

Shiradi is not a ranged/throwing damage Destiny. It's only for casters.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #19 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Correction 6 minutes not 7 but you would also have down time between groups so could push it higher anyway.

Can always twist in some shiraldi.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #20 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Jun 7th, 2017 at 12:09am:
Correction 6 minutes not 7 but you would also have down time between groups so could push it higher anyway.

Can always twist in some shiraldi.

With TF T3 DI you can regenerate 5 or 6 over that time period too

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #21 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
•There is no longer a penalty to movement speed while charging a Rune Arm.

Win. This alone overshot my low, low expectations.

Quote:

It doesn't sound like they're changing the bonuses on Weapon Training to match Mech. Without that, Mech. is still using Artie's signature weapon better than Arties are.

Quote:
•Cannonball Shot (used by Glass Cannon) now uses homing.

Fuck. Fucking goddamn. Homing vastly prefers to hit corners & doors rather than use the LOS between you and the mob. Think of it as being unable to turn off auto-targeting.

Quote:
NEW: Agility Engine: 3/6/10% Doublestrike and Doubleshot while wearing a Rune Arm.

I dunno. If the Weapon Training bonus changes, this is probably enough to make a Rogue splash not mandatory. Gameplay would be needed to see if it wouldn't still be preferable, but that would be fine with me. Doesn't need to be better actually, just within not-embarrassingly-worthless range.

I can see they want to keep the returning ammo feature exclusive to Rogue, which is a shame. It makes an amazing QoL difference (especially considering that a Rogue can get full-quest mileage out of their quiver, while Arties can't even put their created ammo into one).

Quote:
Procs Trip

Well this certainly has my attention.

I might possibly not bow my head in shame for playing pure Artificer after these changes.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #22 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 3:04am
Print Post  
Dont wanna be rude to vaulties but u guys are idiots. Angry

None of you were bothered by this:

"Rune Arm shots now scale with 100% Spell Power. Most were scaling at 50% or 80% previously."

I am pretty sure that Turdbin back then and neither SSG since the big change have ever admitted that rune arm shots scaled basically at a non-100% rate. Or did they ever say anything about it?

That is quite disturbing.

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #23 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Or maybe I am the idiot for thinking that there was no fishy things involved with rune arms...

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #24 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 1:32pm:
See above. At least they know. Light hammers still blow dead bears for quarters and give change, but MOAR HAMMURZ.

I have some Arty lives coming up on alts, so this should make the TR/rTR grind a little easier to bear.

It took me giving a list of named weapons for their proposed changes to get this concession. I suggested adding Hand Axes and both Mace styles as well, but Steelstar doesn't like my feedback at all in any thread.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint