Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Purey Shuri (Read 132310 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: Purey Shuri
Reply #200 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
No you are 100%, completely and totally wrong.

I've gone ahead and made two tables of probabilities for you to hopefully come around to understanding your mistake. As you can see in the first table, we have 4 layers of defense (SF = Shadow Fade). First table includes Elusive Target, and second one does not include Elusive Target (ET). Miss % is the chance to miss the ability confers, and Hit % is the inverse % chance out of 100 that you are hit when attacked (hence 44% Dodge gives you a 56% chance of being hit).

These tables should illustrate for you that not only does order NOT matter in the case of percentage based miss chances, but that adding or substracting the ET layer in any case gives you exactly 5% better chance of getting missed by an attack.

This is incontrovertible.

fb upload image
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2018 at 6:32pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #201 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Yes, it's incontrovertible that you have no clue what overall means.  Hilariously, it's right there in your own spreadsheet, which is immensely entertaining to see you put that much time into proving the wrong thing.

Here's a simple question for you.  What's the difference between the total avoidance chance with and without ET on your spiffy spreadsheet?

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2018 at 9:32pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

SweetKitten
Waterworks Kobold

Meeow

Reply #202 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:12am
Print Post  
Funny discussion.
It seems to be too hard (for both sides) to understand that a relative chance of 5% equals 1% in absolute terms.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #203 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Well from my perspective there's no disagreement about that, the disagreement is that originally Digimonk tried to argue the ORDER of operations matters (it does not), and that secondarily he is arguing that the absolute change of 1% is important (it is not) in calculating the benefit of the feat Elusive Target.

Elusive target even on an exceptionally high dodge/incorp/concealed character still prevents exactly 5% more hits than not having Elusive Target. This is the only thing that matters in considering the feat vis a vis the protection if offers.

He is also trying to have a semantic argument that when I said "overall" addition of 5% dodge I was somehow contradicting the math shown above going from 20% to 21%. He seems to think that makes me wrong. It doesn't of course, you do still get an overall 5% increased ability to not get hit with the feat.

He might be conflating overall and absolute, but that doesn't have shit to with me.

IP Logged

SweetKitten
Waterworks Kobold

Meeow

Reply #204 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 11:17am:
you do still get an overall 5% increased ability to not get hit with the feat

Nope, a relative increased 5% dodge chance, which equals a 1% increased absolute chance to not get hit.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 11:39am by SweetKitten »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #205 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
SweetKitten wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:12am:
Funny discussion.
It seems to be too hard (for both sides) to understand that a relative chance of 5% equals 1% in absolute terms.

No, I understand both.  Hurhurhur however doesn't seem to be able to spare a brain cell to acknowledge his misuse of the adjective, overall.   When I pointed it out, he went full retard and has been doing olympic level spinning ever since.

It's weird, because I think he understands the math but he just can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that he was wrong due to an incorrect adjective.  Amusingly, he got all butthurt and responded with the internet tough guy come at me bro shtick which just made him look even more stupid.

I think I confused the poor sod even further by acknowledging that the only way his statement would have been correct is if he was speaking of the literal change rather than the overall increase or if ET was the sole source of avoidance on the build.  As you stated, he cannot seem to grasp the difference between overall (absolute) and literal (relative).

He apparently misunderstood that, too and latched onto it in an effort to avoid admitting his mistake like a fat kid holds a donut.  For some stupid reason he persists in thinking that I don't know that the order of operations on avoidance checks does not make any difference overall, but that it does make a difference in relative benefit.

Either way, there's nothing else I can add to this since he's just going in logical circles in his own imaginary world where he's never wrong.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #206 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
The 1% is irrelevant because it tells you NOTHING. If the difference was between 90% and 91%, then the 1% means something because the important number, how much more you will get missed (in this case 1.1%) are almost the same.

Because this is a change from 20 to 21%, 1% as a value for ET is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS AS A METRIC FOR EVALUATION.

You will never be wrong saying 1% is the absolute amount ET changes the miss % in this case. But you will always be wrong if you use 1% to evaluate the contribution that ET makes in not getting hit in this scenario (because you will be getting hit 5% less if you add it).

But most importantly, the effect of adding ET, is true to my original statement, THE SAME AS ADDING 5% MORE DODGE AND DODGE CAP TO A CHARACTER.

Do the math for yourself to see. Also go back and read what I wrote.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #207 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
SweetKitten wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:12am:
Funny discussion.
It seems to be too hard (for both sides) to understand that an absolute chance of 5% equals 1% in relative terms.

In a vacuum, Elusive Target is 5% absolutely. It is only 1% when it is relative to other things.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #208 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:19pm:
But most importantly, the effect of adding ET, is true to my original statement, THE SAME AS ADDING 5% MORE DODGE AND DODGE CAP TO A CHARACTER.

No.

Over the course of 1000 attacks, 49% dodge and no elusive target will avoid 22 more attacks than 44% dodge and 5% elusive target.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:28pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

SweetKitten
Waterworks Kobold

Meeow

Reply #209 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:33pm:
In a vacuum, Elusive Target is 5% absolutely. It is only 1% when it is relative to other things.

Hmm, yes i stand corrected.
How about "a selective chance of 5% leads to a 1% total gain" Smiley

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #210 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:55pm:
No.

https://i.imgur.com/jvqYMNI.png

Over the course of 1000 attacks, 49% dodge and no elusive target will avoid 22 more attacks than 44% dodge and 5% elusive target.

Now do that again with Displacement, and 25% Incorp.

You have cherry picked your math to overemphasize the Dodge points, despite that being a scenario that is different than the one being modeled this entire time. You will see this difference approaching zero as other sources of missing are added.

also ROFL
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:28pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #211 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:27pm:
Now do that again with Displacement, and 25% Incorp.

You have cherry picked your math to overemphasize the Dodge points, despite that being a scenario that is different than the one being modeled this entire time. You will see this difference approaching zero as other sources of missing are added.

also ROFL

I calculated EXACTLY what you said.  Shit, I even quoted it for you.   Roll Eyes

Not sure how you consider that cherry picking unless you were cherry picking in your statement that I quoted. 

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:32pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #212 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:31pm:
I calculated EXACTLY what you said.  Shit, I even quoted it for you.   Roll Eyes

Not sure how you consider that cherry picking unless you were cherry picking in your statement that I quoted. 

No, you left off 75% hit avoidance (Displace and Shadow Veil) to pump up the effect of Dodge. Super douchey

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #213 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Your example is great and holds true if something is hitting you 100 damage over and over again. If something is hitting you for a much more end game reasonable amount of say, 500-1500 damage (depending on Skulls, mob, spell, etc), then that 1% does not in effect change in any way your effective HP, or time to be killed. But it does still reduce that incoming damage by 1% each time

Want to go with chunks of 1000 incoming damage instead of 100? Easy, divide the results by 10. Interestingly this makes Elusive Target the difference between 3 hits to kill and 4 hits to kill. 

harharharhar wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:19pm:

Not that these things are fungible, but my math indicates that (theoretically) buffing an existing miss chance by 5% would be better than adding a separate 5% chance.

Displacement + 44 dodge + 10 ghostly + Elusive Target = 76.1 % avoidance = .2394 = 41.8 attacks to kill
Displacement + 49 dodge + 10 ghostly = 77.05% avoidance = 0.2295 = 43.6 attacks to kill
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:02pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #214 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:43pm:
No, you left off 75% hit avoidance (Displace and Shadow Veil) to pump up the effect of Dodge. Super douchey

No, you left it off your statement which I quoted.   I calculated exactly what you said.  Learn to grammar.

Just to humor your stupid, arrogant ass, here you go:

Aww, look... adding Elusive Target still does not give the exact same benefit as adding 5% to dodge and dodge cap even when factoring in multiple other sources.  Sure, the other sources dilute the difference between ET and adding straight to Dodge, but it doesn't change the fact that it is not exactly the same.  You're still wrong. 

The additional sources lower ET's contribution to total avoided attacks from 2% to 1%.  In fact, since ET is a fixed 5%, the more sources and higher per source amounts of avoidance you have, the more wrong you are.

Worse yet for your argument, increasing the sample size of total potential hits just goes to show how relatively insignificant ET is in the grand scheme of things on an end-game avoidance heavy build.  An additional 11 hits out of every 1000 avoided?  An addition 105 out of 10k?    Whoopty doo.  Yeah, I think I'll stick with a feat that increases lowers my chances of getting 1-shotted or adds extra DPS.

On a related note, the feat might make more of a difference on a heavy tank with low amounts of avoidance.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #215 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Counting up hits avoided is a ridiculous way to model this. No one takes 10,000 hits, or even 1000 hits over a period of time that is relevant.

If we had 1,000,000 HP and quests took 7 hours to complete and we sustained 1000's of hits, yours might be a valid argument. As it stands, it is not.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #216 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:58pm:
Counting up hits avoided is a ridiculous way to model this. No one takes 10,000 hits, or even 1000 hits over a period of time that is relevant.

If we had 1,000,000 HP and quests took 7 hours to complete and we sustained 1000's of hits, yours might be a valid argument. As it stands, it is not. 

No shit nobody takes 10k hits in a mission.  That's been one of the points all along.  You really are stupid aren't you? 

For this feat to be worthwhile when the build already has all those other sources of avoidance, you'd need to be taking a large number of hits in a short amount of time, which it won't, unless maybe you're the one running it. 

I just extrapolated the math out to 10k to make that point more obvious.

Regarding counting hits not being a valid measurement, I disagree.  The practical reason for taking this feat is to avoid hits, thus, it's value can be measured reasonably well in how many hits it helps you avoid, because you know, that's what matters in-game, regardless what that spreadsheet and calculator you have shoved up your ass shows.

You keep going on and on about how amazeballs this stupid feat is and in practice it helps you avoid all of maybe 2 additional hits over the course of a normal mission...  It figures you would impressed by avoiding 1-2 extra hits per mission, scrub.

P.S.  You're still wrong about ET being exactly the same as adding to Dodge/Dodge Cap.  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:56pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #217 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 10:26am
Print Post  
All of the bickering aside, the deep dive into avoidance is clearly very interesting.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #218 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:41pm:
P.S.  You're still wrong about ET being exactly the same as adding to Dodge/Dodge Cap.  Wink

Super easy way to see this.

If your avoidance is 44 dodge, 10 ghostly and 50 displacement is that the same as adding 50 and 10 to your 44 dodge? Obviously not.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #219 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:41pm:
You keep going on and on about how amazeballs this stupid feat is and in practice it helps you avoid all of maybe 2 additional hits over the course of a normal mission...  It figures you would impressed by avoiding 1-2 extra hits per mission, scrub.

First of all, this from the guy saying to take Wind through the trees, which is just embarrassing and you should go delete your comment now. You have NO leg to stand on, your suggestions we're insanely bad. As it stands, this is still by far the best feat to take at this level. Not only does it provide ~5% dodge, but also ~5% dodge chance. No other feat comes close to that at that level for this build.

You're still a mongoloid for suggesting to not take it.

Moreover, If you would have received 100 hits in a quest, this would still help you avoid 5 of them. Depending on the order, strength, and continuity of those hits, that is either irrelevant or very important. Wind Through the Trees or a worthless Dire Charge DC would still be worse.

Also, don't forget when you tried to tell 5FS that the order in which these checks are made is relevant. You've made like 2 or 3 reputation destroying wrong claims in this thread.

If adding this feat is extremely slightly less than exactly 5% dodge (and say more like adding 3 %or 4% dodge and dodge cap based on other defenses, quest length, max HP, and reaper skull setting), then so be it. It's still 1000x better than any of your other garbage suggestions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #220 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Anyone want to talk about the build?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #221 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 12:21pm:
Anyone want to talk about the build?

Great build, I've capped and played the MP version missing only the raid shuri. I still miss the enormous burst for red names/champs/reapers/a nice long hallway with mobs lined up running in Fury, but there's no question the DPS is redonko on the LD version.

Have you considered trying to slot +7 Insight deadly and forgoing KTA altogether? When I do my Int item swap macro for KTA I'm getting like 54'ish Int for +11 damage, I'm wondering if you could get more putting those AP somewhere else. It's probably not worth it, but maybe someone smarter than me can optimize that.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #222 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:10pm:
Great build, I've capped and played the MP version missing only the raid shuri. I still miss the enormous burst for red names/champs/reapers/a nice long hallway with mobs lined up running in Fury, but there's no question the DPS is redonko on the LD version.

Have you considered trying to slot +7 Insight deadly and forgoing KTA altogether? When I do my Int item swap macro for KTA I'm getting like 54'ish Int for +11 damage, I'm wondering if you could get more putting those AP somewhere else. It's probably not worth it, but maybe someone smarter than me can optimize that.

+1 for value added comment

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #223 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:10pm:
Great build, I've capped and played the MP version missing only the raid shuri.

spite is stupidly broken. takes about 10 seconds to stack fully while using 10k. it not only doubles the base damage of any other star, but the proc is higher than the base. it's around 3-4k per shuri on non-crits ( including sneak attack).

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #224 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 5:52pm:
spite is stupidly broken. takes about 10 seconds to stack fully while using 10k. it not only doubles the base damage of any other star, but the proc is higher than the base. it's around 3-4k per shuri on non-crits ( including sneak attack).

well....

Morninglord 5[w+2] v Spite 7[w+3]

5*2.5+2=22.5+15=37.5
7*2.5+3=38.5+15=53.5

Hardly a doubling over Morninglord shuriken (if I got the math correct), but obviously a nice boost.

But I do know the DoT is very strong, but that has nothing to do with the build, because any shuri build can use it to same effect (actually greater effect if the other build has less base or SA damage, smh)

I am actively raiding for this broken shuriken, don't worry.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2018 at 6:45pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26
Send TopicPrint