Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Things you shouldn't hear from the design team (Read 22957 times)
Jeff_Stryker
Waterworks Kobold

Zero

Re: Things you shouldn't hear from the design team
Reply #50 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:29am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:28pm:
My take away from Frank's words was that the most veteran of the extant "developers" at SSG have not demonstrated a  skillset that exceeds the skillset of a twice intern.

I don't have reason to believe that Lynnabel is a skilled programmer, but, to what I believe is Frank's point, I have countless reasons to believe that there are no skilled programmers at SSG.

Ash, I think that you may have misunderstood Frank's intent.

The rockstars at DDO aren't developing software.  That hasn't happened at DDO for years and years.  The "new systems" are copy-fiddle-paste of old systems that are sticky-taped to the work of people long since gone by people who neither understand nor care about how things work beyond what is necessary for their "new system" to just barely work well enough to not get them fired today.

But maybe I'm mistaken.

How's that Cove lag treating everyone?  When should I expect the Rockstars to refactor the old code (and eliminate "spaghetti code" as an excuse) and get that sorted out?

QFT.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #51 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 3:43am:
No.  Or I wouldn't have said it.  Obviously I am assuming a lot, but Hi Welcome not any more than you are assuming when you claim that things are so much more complex that a 2 term intern can't be expected to have a decent grasp of a system.

Bitch all you like about how "it takes years and years to be a skilled programmer" but that's just idiocy.  There are people who have been programming for years as children who then go on to seek a degree that says that they know what they are doing.  I know this because I have lived it personally.  And this is becoming more and more prevalent as technology becomes more accessible to more and more children.

But hey, if you aren't in software development maybe it doesn't make sense how asinine your statement was.

I've been programming since I was 11 years old.   I have a programming degree, a dozen certifications after my name and I run a software dev studio. I understand programming fine.   You are either ignorant or intentionally trolling.  Or both.  Your posting history suggests both.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #52 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:26am:
New augments?  Well Lynnabel just admitted that they don't understand them.  Probably means that making new ones is out of reach.  And fuck yes, i know she said that she didn't understand them.  But anything a twice intern doesn't understand is probably not understood by anyone else on the dev staff either, capisce?

Except that they did actually make new augments and even changed those new augments somewhat more recently than the original non-guild slot augment system.

Quote:
This was released as a Diamond of Spooky Wisdom +2 (providing a Spooky bonus) in 2015, but the type of enhancement changed and the augment was renamed in 2016...

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Diamond_of_Festive_Intelligence_%2B2
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Diamond_of_Festive_Wisdom_%2B2

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2017 at 12:08pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:38am:
I've made up a bunch of shit that I think makes me look impressive on the internet.

You are ignorant, and your e-peen is small and flacid.

You see how this works, Penelope?  Jackass.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2017 at 4:53pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #54 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 4:47pm:
You are ignorant, and your e-peen is small and flacid.

You see how this works, Penelope?  Jackass.

Meh.  Saying stupid shit and picking fights to cover your stupidity is your MO.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #55 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:26am:
So that leaves sentient weapons.  Which is something that the devs have been talking about since ~2013 and is just as much vaporware today as it was then.  Since they haven't ever done anything about those words they can mean anything at all that they want them to mean.  Guess what?  They have been coming up with a new crafting system in every third update since the game launched 11 years ago.  So why all the fucking praise for yet another one before you've even seen it on live?  Is it the fancy name?

The take away I got from Sentient weapons is that they would scale with you as you level.  So if you have a sentient item with a stat increase, the increase would keep going up as you level.  This would vastly cut down on the number of twink items you'd need.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #56 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
The take away I got from Sentient weapons is that they would scale with you as you level.  So if you have a sentient item with a stat increase, the increase would keep going up as you level.  This would vastly cut down on the number of twink items you'd need.

As per a recent Ask the Devs on the ddocast, sentient weapons are intended to be an endgame system. More info will likely be released closer to the release of Ravenloft. No TRing involved or necessary! Smiley

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #57 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:49pm:
As per a recent Ask the Devs on the ddocast, sentient weapons are intended to be an endgame system. More info will likely be released closer to the release of Ravenloft. No TRing involved or necessary!

well, then Frank's right.  Yet another crafting system that will come, have it's time, and then immediately be abandoned for whatever new crafting system gets created.

I really wish there were devs who actually play this game.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #58 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 1:11am
Print Post  
As per a recent Ask the Devs on the ddocast, sentient weapons are intended to be an endgame system. More info will likely be released closer to the release of Ravenloft. No TRing involved or necessary! Smiley

Apparently I'm not done ranting about this.

What happened to the slave lords stuff.  Isn't that an end game crafting system?

What about legendary green steel.  Isn't that an end game crafting system?

Whatever happened to the ToEE mushroom crap?  Isn't that an end game crafting system?

Exactly how many end game crafting systems are they gonna dump on us?

You know what I'd like.  Some level 20 gear.  Stuff that I don't need to find rare seal and shards to epic an obsolete item that's kind of, sort of crappier than the level 17 stuff they've been putting out.  You can farm those old quests every day on EE and not see a single shard for weeks cause the damn drop rate is so low, and there is this huge gulf now getting from 20 to 22 for some of the armors and then 23 when you can use CitW weapons and 24 when you finally get some decent 3bc gear, and then finally at 25 you get your first decent set of armor with dragon scale.

But no, we're getting more end game crafting because SSG has no idea what an end game for DDO should be.  Apparently it's grinding out a thousand more mats to make gear to prepare for some other distant end game that will magically appear when the devs finally pull their heads out of their asses.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #59 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 3:59pm:
I has a sad. 

Still, better that than chafing "clipping".

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #60 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 1:11am:

The answer is with all the old, outdated mats that you don't even know what system they go with that are clogging up your ingredients bags.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #61 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 2:18am:
The answer is with all the old, outdated mats that you don't even know what system they go with that are clogging up your ingredients bags. 

Just give us a trade in if they're going to keep introducing new systems like .....

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #62 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Jelly_Muffin wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 6:37am:
Just give us a trade in if they're going to keep introducing new systems like .....

That would be a brilliant and practical solution...which isn't exactly their forte.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #63 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 10:24am
Print Post  
What happened to the slave lords stuff.  Isn't that an end game crafting system?

Whatever happened to the ToEE mushroom crap?  Isn't that an end game crafting system?

Oh damn, how could I forget Thunderforged weapons.  Isn't that an endgame crafting system, too?

And it's still one of the most popular ones in no small part because the level 22 and 24 weapons are the best/only weapons you can get at that level.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #64 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
ToEE and thunderforged were level 28 end game crafting systems.   The cap is no longer 28.  Therefore, no longer end game.  The same as gh armor crafting and citw weapon upgrading or alchem crafting from lob.

(A big part of why I hate cap raises and hope they n vet do one again is that cap raises completely wipe out old at-cap systems and gear.  It is self defeating)

L Shroud and slavers are current end game systems.  Sentient weapons won't invalidate any of slavers crafting.   It will, probably, completely invalidate l shroud weapons.  Shroud accessory crafting won't be impacted but that was so flawed by old, 2008, nonhelpful effects that it was not compelling for a number of builds even on day 1 besides some casters doing hp sets or ender sets. 
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2017 at 3:46pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Apparently I'm not done ranting about this.

As many as they can, since it adds to the grind customer retention.

Slave lords and lgs is still end game.  Also cannith crafting.  The others aren't anymore.  But I'll wait in anticipation for the wails from all the people who made lgs weapons when a new end game weapon system is released.

Quote:
You know what I'd like.  Some level 20 gear.  Stuff that I don't need to find rare seal and shards to epic an obsolete item that's kind of, sort of crappier than the level 17 stuff they've been putting out.

The problem with level 20 is that it is already fairly well saturated.  On top of the small handful of s/s/s items that are still relevant once made epic, there are all the commendation items in estar, and all the cannith challenge and estar challenge items.  Plus cannith crafted of course.  When I do a ER these days my toon opens up the bank and puts on an almost complete set of level 20 gear.

Even assuming a completely new player or running on a completely new server, the only thing that drops off of that list is the s/s/s stuff.  And like I said there isn't much left of those items with any relevance.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #66 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:58pm:
Meh.  Saying stupid shit and picking fights to cover your stupidity is your MO.   

I think you meant to address that to your mirror, Penelope.

And this is the vault after all.  You need a hanky for your tears little bitch?

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #67 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 4:47pm:

Asheras wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:58pm:

JUST FUCK ALREADY!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #68 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:20pm:
JUST FUCK ALREADY!

I've watched enough movies and 80s tv shows to know how this ends.

IP Logged

Steelrock
Dragon Raider

Elite Raiders

Reply #69 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Wrong. Not enough tongue.

Turbine is a company, not your friend.

If a company you have been loyal to suddenly changes their product so that it either is worse or not even working any more then only a complete fool would continue to patronize them.

Business only understands one thing, the bottom line.

The posters above who have a delusional perception of their relationship with Turbine seem to be suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #70 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:30pm
Print Post  

Tell the devs they REALLY need to re-visit the notion of TR-twink gear, especially now that they've introduced racial PLs.

OG Greensteel was the best ever, that's what the game needs more of. Fuck lvl 30 items, give me something I have to earn at 30 that I can use next time I'm back at 20!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #71 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 8:23pm:
such as a new Divine Vengeance that scales to level 30 and it's a greatsword Smiley

baby qtpie plz: lv 30 razorend, lv 30 celestia that isnt FoS'd where everything breaks its damage type

also welcome to development- you are now to blame for every issue ever and everything you say will trigger someone. isnt it lovely

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 9:37am
Print Post  
"How attached to the items in your Reincarnation cache were you?"

IP Logged

RolyPoly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 9:51am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:05pm:
baby qtpie plz: lv 30 razorend, lv 30 celestia that isnt FoS'd where everything breaks its damage type

FFS... How could you not mention the one thing we were all waiting on with Epic Orchard?  Where is my Epic Deathnip?

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #74 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
hydra wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 4:51am:
If the color change can be ported to cosmetics, I'd definitely glamour it.

This.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint