Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Things you shouldn't hear from the design team (Read 22940 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Things you shouldn't hear from the design team
Reply #25 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
item is vendor trash. can tell by judging patterns of past trash.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 8:23pm:
I'm an intern, sorry. I didn't have time to learn augments. I've put in a lot of work on item scripts though and there are a lot of cool things in Ravenloft, such as a new Divine Vengeance that scales to level 30 and it's a greatsword Smiley

Nice. Just make sure there's a Long Sword version of it, too.

Please make sure both have a graphic similar to this one:

Saw this on the DDO Forums and thought it was very cool looking.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 11:46am by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #27 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:16am:
Blah-blah-blah. I always argue for the sake of arguing and play the devil's advocate because reasons

You expect that loot design will be this time around? Now's who is ignoring reality?
I was speaking strictly from the past experience, update after update, the same consistency every time.
A mix of major powercreep and worthless vendor trash.
I bet you already fucking in love with the element changing stick, It even changes colors!!!!
Exactly the kind of shit that you people like to swallow.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #28 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
We've all been trained to hate whatever a dev says. It's been a valid response for a long time. It will continue to be a valid response until the devs are more forthcoming about game mechanics, what's feasible and what isn't, etc.

Personally, I'm glad to hear augment coding is ... as Feathered as the rest of Feathered loot. Unlike other things I've heard devs say, this is a perfect match with my in-game experience. Augments have been a great, versatile equipment feature since their introduction. Wonky, inconsistent, and everything else Feather. A pile of good and bad inextricably fused.

I care shit-all about a color-changing rod, but I'm obviously not the right demographic for rods.

What I like most is that I've finally heard a dev say something that matches my in-game experience. It's almost as if she has played the game more than once, on god-mode, in between levels of Pac-Man LARP.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #29 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:14pm:
but I'm obviously not the right demographic for rods.

I'm chuckling.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #30 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Great idea on making the greatsword use the super cool model from the launcher. Done!

While poking around, I found Byron Scoutsword's obnoxiously huge sword as well. Possible cool cosmetic? Make a cool falchion? What do you guys think?

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #31 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:34pm:
While poking around, I found Byron Scoutsword's obnoxiously huge sword

As long as Byron consents, I'm sure it's okay.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #32 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Great idea on making the greatsword use the super cool model from the launcher. Done!
Possible cool cosmetic? 

I think that launcher sword would be a VERY cool cosmetic. Make it smaller so it's suitable for one-handed weapons (longsword-length specifically), though. This cosmetic could be suitable as a mysterious remnant turn-in, actually.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 4:05pm by Technomage »  

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

Reyes.
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #33 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Byron Scoutsword's obnoxiously huge sword as well. Possible cool cosmetic?

The lvl 1 barb hire usualy has good looking falchions. Tbh i have never found similar models on named nor rng, those could sell well as cosmetics or be neat looking nameds

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #34 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Personally I always liked the cosmetic of the original divine vengeance.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #35 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Argh, I see why it wasn't used... the handle is super short for its size, and the standard 2hander grip clips in a non-workable way Sad

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #36 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 8:23pm:
I'm an intern, sorry. I didn't have time to learn augments. I've put in a lot of work on item scripts though and there are a lot of cool things in Ravenloft, such as a new Divine Vengeance that scales to level 30 and it's a greatsword Smiley

Fair point (And Sailias I think you're doing great work even as just a lowly intern, I wish the people here were nicer to you).

That said, it probably doesn't require "knowing" the system inside and out to, say, lower the MLs on augments Tongue Frankly the current system is "good enough", its just largely useless because so many augments have terrible minimum levels.

+6 stat at lvl 20? Who uses that?

Not your job to fix it obviously, but if SSG wanted a quick and dirty fix for the augment system, that's something even an intern could repair!

With the added fiscal bonus of selling a SHITLOAD of jewelers toolkits the second augments become really useful again Wink

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #37 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  

While poking around, I found Byron Scoutsword's obnoxiously huge sword as well. Possible cool cosmetic? Make a cool falchion? What do you guys think?

Something a lot of people really want as a cosmetic is Tesyus, from A Relic of a Sovereign Past ? Apparently you could briefly glamor it, but I missed that window Sad

Anyway, that's about the greatest looking 1-hander in the game, even I would grind remnants to get it! Or, ya know, better for SSG: pay actual dollars for it Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 2:37pm:
I bet you already fucking in love with the element changing stick, It even changes colors!!!!

yeah, because I love randomly not being able to have the appropriate spell power when I need it. but, yo, colors, fam!

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:20am
Print Post  
One thing I would suggest about the new greatsword and the apparent hate some people have for it:

Make the thing selectable when you get it.  It pops up in the chest or as end reward and when you loot it you have to choose what kind of weapon it is.  Greatsword, long sword, mace, hammer, whatever.  But you have to pick upon looting.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #40 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
I have negative infinity art skills and can't make cosmetics

So, I'm gonna throw this out there, cause it's one of the things on my very long wish list and it seems like the vault has the attention of an intern, but would it at all be possible to dredge up the old cosmetics (from before cosmetics when they were armor kits) and make cosmetics out of those.

I mean, cosmetics are something people actually buy.  With real money.  If you suddenly threw several dozen old cosmetics back into the shop I can't see how they wouldn't make some money out of that.  They added back all of the old cosmetics for random loot so they could sell more mirrors, but there are still cosmetics from the old armor kits that I don't think can be found in the game any more.  I have't seen any random loot and haven't seen anyone running around in them.

I like the mirrors, and they were long overdue, but for those old armor kits it's been ages, and those were promised to us years ago when the new cosmetics came out.  But the story of Turbine and now SSG is that promises on updates are immediately forgotten in favor of the next update.

Guild airships, for instance.  My guild spent $500 the day the new airships came out buying the biggest ship in the game, and a couple hundred more for astral shards to fill it with amenities and the ship was so big it had more room than there were amenities.  They promised that day that more amenities would be added in the future, but nope.  That promise was forgotten the second after it was made, and the next day they cut the price on the airships and refunded the shards.  Now my guild has all these shards in the bank, no way to get them out, and nothing to spend them on because we paid probably over $700 to Turbine and got screwed in the deal.

So when Skoodge says they need to start working on brand trust, then yeah.  I second that.  They need to fix bugs, work on quality of life changes, and return to old promises not kept.

One of the reasons people are getting excited about a new expansion for is because they yet again promised things they've been promising for ages.  New Augments, Sentient weapons.  New Enhancement trees.

So, if there's anyway that that could happen, it'd be awesome.  I imagine it would be as simple as finding the id numbers of the old kits, creating xml files with those numbers and a description to create the cosmetic or making some database entry, and then putting it in the right place to sell it in the shop but from what I've seen of DDO it would probably require 10,000 more lines of spaghetti code for some reason.

- Zorro

IP Logged

AsstralTraveler
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 7:16am:
If you suddenly threw several dozen old cosmetics back into the shop I can't see how they wouldn't make some money out of that.

And for that to really take off, you would have to preview them; and that needs a working in game store.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #42 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I miss the time when Retribution and The Threnal Sword where The weapons to have... ( the other one was called Sword of Shadow )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #43 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:22pm:
Argh, I see why it wasn't used... the handle is super short for its size, and the standard 2hander grip clips in a non-workable way Sad

I has a sad.  Sad

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #44 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
AsstralTraveler wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 9:55am:
And for that to really take off, you would have to preview them; and that needs a working in game store.

Yeah, but they said this browser workaround was only temporary, which means it's gonna be fucked forever so there's no point bringing it up.  Fortunately I know a few of the ones I want to buy so I wouldn't need to preview them, but newer players (if they exist), as usual, are completely screwed.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 7:16am:
One of the reasons people are getting excited about a new expansion for is because they yet again promised things they've been promising for ages.  New Augments, Sentient weapons.  New Enhancement trees.

Ok, so new enhancement trees has been something they have been picking at for something like 6 years.

New augments?  Well Lynnabel just admitted that they don't understand them.  Probably means that making new ones is out of reach.  And fuck yes, i know she said that she didn't understand them.  But anything a twice intern doesn't understand is probably not understood by anyone else on the dev staff either, capisce?

So that leaves sentient weapons.  Which is something that the devs have been talking about since ~2013 and is just as much vaporware today as it was then.  Since they haven't ever done anything about those words they can mean anything at all that they want them to mean.  Guess what?  They have been coming up with a new crafting system in every third update since the game launched 11 years ago.  So why all the fucking praise for yet another one before you've even seen it on live?  Is it the fancy name?

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #46 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:26am:
But anything a twice intern doesn't understand is probably not understood by anyone else on the dev staff either, capisce?

You know this is a really ignorant thing to say, right?  A two time intern (for 6 months total) who may or may not have a degree in software development yet (most interns do so during their education, not after) probably doesn't have the foundational knowledge, let alone the industry specific or company specific architectural knowledge of 80-90% of the program(s) or database model.

If you aren't in software development maybe it doesn't make sense how asinine your statement was.  But it would be the equivalent to saying, if you have changed your oil and windshield wiper fluid then you can probably rebuild an engine.

No offense meant to Lynnabel.  But it takes years and years to be a skilled programmer.  Not 6 months.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #47 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 12:08pm:
Frank wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:26am:
Well Lynnabel just admitted that they don't understand them [augments].  Probably means that making new ones is out of reach.  And fuck yes, i know she said that she didn't understand them.  But anything a twice intern doesn't understand is probably not understood by anyone else on the dev staff either, capisce?

You know this is a really ignorant thing to say, right?  A two time intern (for 6 months total) who may or may not have a degree in software development yet (most interns do so during their education, not after) probably doesn't have the foundational knowledge, let alone the industry specific or company specific architectural knowledge of 80-90% of the program(s) or database model.

If you aren't in software development maybe it doesn't make sense how asinine your statement was.  But it would be the equivalent to saying, if you have changed your oil and windshield wiper fluid then you can probably rebuild an engine.

No offense meant to Lynnabel.  But it takes years and years to be a skilled programmer.  Not 6 months.

My take away from Frank's words was that the most veteran of the extant "developers" at SSG have not demonstrated a  skillset that exceeds the skillset of a twice intern.

I don't have reason to believe that Lynnabel is a skilled programmer, but, to what I believe is Frank's point, I have countless reasons to believe that there are no skilled programmers at SSG.

Ash, I think that you may have misunderstood Frank's intent.

The rockstars at DDO aren't developing software.  That hasn't happened at DDO for years and years.  The "new systems" are copy-fiddle-paste of old systems that are sticky-taped to the work of people long since gone by people who neither understand nor care about how things work beyond what is necessary for their "new system" to just barely work well enough to not get them fired today.

But maybe I'm mistaken.

How's that Cove lag treating everyone?  When should I expect the Rockstars to refactor the old code (and eliminate "spaghetti code" as an excuse) and get that sorted out?

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #48 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I just want more bank space. Please can I have more bank space?!

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 12:08pm:
You know this is a really ignorant thing to say, right?

No.  Or I wouldn't have said it.  Obviously I am assuming a lot, but Hi Welcome not any more than you are assuming when you claim that things are so much more complex that a 2 term intern can't be expected to have a decent grasp of a system.

Bitch all you like about how "it takes years and years to be a skilled programmer" but that's just idiocy.  There are people who have been programming for years as children who then go on to seek a degree that says that they know what they are doing.  I know this because I have lived it personally.  And this is becoming more and more prevalent as technology becomes more accessible to more and more children.

But hey, if you aren't in software development maybe it doesn't make sense how asinine your statement was.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint