Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Vistani Assassin (Read 23505 times)
Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Re: Vistani Assassin
Reply #50 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Young_Thot wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:56am:
@ Rubbinns

fastest i got was 23 sec on my monk tho couldnt relly test that well do to the lag  + dont have that many PLS on my monk and its shav

Best my tempest got was 27.

Nerf monks!   Cheesy

IP Logged

-Bushleague-
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I'm not a *new* player (I created a character on day 1 of release), but my play time is probably no more than 5 months in total. 4 of which have been recently. That said, I'm a competent player, but I'm always looking to get better. So, that's why I'm here. Rather than make a new thread about Vistani Assassins I figured I'd tag on here.

I play a pure Drow (wish it were something else) Rogue Assassin in LD (no past lives of any kind), +7 Supreme Tome, enough Fate points for 4/3/1/1. Enhancements are currently 41 Assassin, 5 Acrobat, and 34 Vistani Knife-Fighter.

I play on Orien and absolutely monster truck nearly every group I am in, raids too. Granted, I realize that most players in PuGs are bad, but I digress.

That said, I love how the class performs in most group settings, but I despise being unable to solo EE/R1+ effectively (for some quests). I also hate being a glass cannon. So, my question is given the proposed changes to the EDs, Shadowdancer (which will help solve my fragility once I make that swap after U38) becomes A LOT more attractive. What kind of build would you 'experts' propose? Keep in mind that from what I have read here I value the ability to Assassinate a lot more than generally accepted by some of you.

Also, it appears from what little snooping I've done, it seems that there is no longer a reason to stay pure? I suppose the capstone justification died with item inflation?

My gear is pretty good:
3p Silent Avenger
5p Adherent (not optimized, but my CC is not high enough to fill the gaps)
Van Richtens specs
Molten Silver Gaunts
Ring of Prowess
Executioners Helm
Pain and Suffering daggers
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:25am by »  

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #52 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
AbominableIdiot wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 12:45pm:
New bear druid can do it in 15.2 seconds.

Wut? That's unexpected. Vid?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
gibbon wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
Wut? That's unexpected. Vid?

looking it over, seems like there is something there. 15% speed increase from what it was on live. an additional 15% in ap, 40~ MP from ap, and +15 damage from its killer instinct stacks. add that on top of a weapon profile.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

-Bushleague-
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 7:42am
Print Post  
As a first-life pure Assassin in sub-optimal gear and no   pots/scrolls etc, the best I could do was 32.8 seconds. Most attempts were ~35.

feelsbadman

And LD is still completely wrecking Shadowdancer in raw damage.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:40am by »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #55 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Assassinate just isn't worth it. A working assassinate DC is a big investment that costs you a lot of DPS. All so that you can kill 1 mob in 1 second  every 15 seconds. Whereas if you optimize for DPS you can drop a mob reaper every ~3 seconds or whatever without sacrificing all those gear slots and AP.

Lets be generous and suppose that with a working assassinate DC you can still DPS down a reaper mob in ~4 seconds, then 1 sec assassinate + 14 secs DPS = 4.5 dead reaper mobs per 15 seconds while the max DPS version drops 5 reaper mobs per 15 seconds.

That's the best-case scenario, but let's not forget that there is always stuff you just need to DPS because it's immune to assasinate.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #56 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
can you still multi ass things?

IP Logged

-Bushleague-
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Yes, you can. 2 is common, 3 is a lot rarer (for me anyway).

Gearing for assassinate: So far, I haven't had to make any significant sacrifices, but moving forward I think I am going to have to cut something. However, I'm only aiming for a ~95 Assassinate DC. I've been running with ~90 and I've had a lot of success with it even in Reaper, but I spend my time in R1-6. I'm not geared for much else. Not that the server population supports much more anyway.

There is some definite tension between choosing Scion of the Ethereal and Astral. Arguments can be made for both. I lean towards Astral because it also supports Dire Charge. Also, my dodge is currently trash.

I understand what you're saying in terms of dps, but generally when I assassinate it's just before we engage a group and I instantly dumpster the 1-3 casters/mobs that resist CC or were out of range. Also, depending on the size of the group I will have time to re-hide and instantly finish whatever is left over.

Being able to instantly truck mobs that literally one shot people is underrated in my opinion.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:29pm by »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #58 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Being able to instantly truck mobs that literally one shot people is underrated in my opinion.

I agree and it's one of my strongest arguments for FoTW on throwers over LD. Some shit is just straight up dangerous

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #59 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
FoTW

Fist of the Wind?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #60 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I understand what you're saying in terms of dps, but generally when I assassinate it's just before we engage a group and I instantly dumpster the 1-3 casters/mobs that resist CC or were out of range. Also, depending on the size of the group I will have time to re-hide and instantly finish whatever is left over.

This is a pretty good summary of why the LD shuri builds are a bit overrated.  They're the warlocks of shuricannons.  They're a simple build to at a reasonable level of proficiency since they are essentially just an autoattack with a couple of action boosts and don't relay on fast, precise timing of activated attacks.

I'm not bashing them.  They have an impressively high sustained DPS rate.  It's just that live gameplay involves a lot more than DPS.  On-demand burst DPS and instakills are extremely valuable in high skull reaper.

Both burst and sustained DPS build styles are good.  It mainly boils down to which style each person enjoys more.   Some people love warlocks, some people think they're boring as hell and prefer instakillers or shiradi because they're more interactive.

In the end, assuming the build isn't complete garbage you should run what you enjoy the most.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2018 at 3:43pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As a first-life pure Assassin in sub-optimal gear and no   pots/scrolls etc, the best I could do was 32.8 seconds. Most attempts were ~35.

feelsbadman

And LD is still completely wrecking Shadowdancer in raw damage.

that is a decent time considering youre missing a bunch of dps past lives, racial ap, reaper cores, and stat boosting lives. 14k dps isn't too shabby. you could get a better time if you switched to ethereal, hit sneak of shadows, and buffed up some more.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

imanoob
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 5:01am
Print Post  
AbominableIdiot wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 12:45pm:
New bear druid can do it in 15.2 seconds.

Anyone have a build or link for bear build? Is it str build?

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #63 - May 15th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Problem is that by dropping assassinate you turn your rogue into a non aoe version of every other melee build. Assassinate is an insanely useful tool to pop right when a fight starts and then focus on dpsing mobs.

And unlike dps it gets better and better the higher the difficulty.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #64 - May 16th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
acidpickachu wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 10:20pm:
And unlike dps it gets better and better the higher the difficulty.

This is untrue. I'm not disputing the numerical advantage inherent in instakilling bloated hp sacks, but as far as practicality goes, the presence of a reaper interferes over the ability to assassinate all present mobs, and the higher the skulls, the more the number of mob groupings that spawn without a reaper approaches zero.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #65 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
I've seen a good assassin beat dc casters for kills.
I agree that reapers are problematic but if someone else gets their attention you're fine, as far as Annointed is saying.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2018 at 10:59pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

tinkerer
Dirty Sock

I Love Drama!

Reply #66 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 9:58pm:
I've seen a good assassin beat dc casters for kills.
I agree that reapers are problematic but if someone else gets their attention you're fine right?

Not only that but Saekee's technique he shared on the MOBOs works for single (admittedly sometimes I pull 2 reapers instead of 1) pulling reapers in about 80% of the content I tried it on (all r10). Not only is it beneficial to the group to single pull (its REALLY fast once you get the hang of it) but it leaves you open to properly sneak afterwards.

Lastly I 100% agree with what's been echoed previously, if you are just after dps don't roll a majority rogue build. I'd play monk, tempest, etc. all before playing a non-assassinating rogue.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #67 - May 17th, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
The dps is underrated, but I get it.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #68 - May 20th, 2018 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 4:06pm:
The dps is underrated, but I get it.

I’ll say, for a toon that wants to roll rogue, but doesn’t have a ton of PLs I would recommend dropping assassinate for straight dps. PLs mainly add to higher DCs and survivability, and don’t affect dmg that much. That being said, I’d also recommend that if you want straight dmg roll a tempest scimitar build rather than rogue. Or monk for more CC abilities over rogue.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #69 - May 22nd, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
So I did some number crunching, and if the new raid daggers didn't have the 2[w], they would be losing to Assassin's Kiss. Gonna LR into a vistani today.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2018 at 11:20am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Just out of curiosity, what do people do for skellies and things that have bludgeon DR?  Heavy and light maces?   I wouldn't have completionist, but could take monk past life in that slot and use handwraps?

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #71 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
am using celestias personally. Maybe the light maces are better but celestia gets some of the crit bonuses from assassin so they are decent.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #72 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Celestias are nice for bypassing PRR as well. If you're just worried about skellies and such, Morninglord wraps seem like a good low-effort alternative.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 12:25pm:
Celestias are nice for bypassing PRR as well. If you're just worried about skellies and such, Morninglord wraps seem like a good low-effort alternative.

yeah, I am running this on my monk main, for scourge and rogue lives, pretty fun so far.  I have a lot of nice wraps so taking the monk PL and using them is my plan.  I still have 2 raiders boxes on this toon, still trying to decide if they should be used for celestias...

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #74 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:07am
Print Post  
I don't see a reason to take the monk PL to use wraps occasionally. I'd take weapon focus if I didn't have completionist and add more damage full time.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint