Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) ranged and warlock nerfs (Read 20790 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: ranged and warlock nerfs
Reply #50 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 12:55pm:
Maybe you haven't run with any good crossbow builds?

Every time I've run FoTP on my mech, I've led kills just parked on the boulder next to the door, lazy as could be. No IPS, AF all the way.

Exactly. Can't take this guy seriously

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #51 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 1:13pm:

Every time I've run FoTP on my mech, I've led kills just parked on the boulder next to the door, lazy as could be. No IPS, AF all the way.

Exactly. Can't take this guy seriously

This is my personal experience as well.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #52 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:19pm
Print Post  

Just parked by the door with a gxbow on autofire and no IPS eh?  Cherry picking a raid which involves a metric ton of running back and forth for melee as if that proves anything except that design of that one raid heavily favors ranged?  Seriously?  You essentially just said "in this mission where I can repeatedly snipe mobs and kill them before melee get close, I easily led the kill counts?" in a way that implies that's a good measure of a build's potential DPS.

I expect these sort of stupid games from harhar but not from you.  You of all people should know better 5FS.  The math doesn't support this BS.

You're either full of crap or you're running with serious melee scrubs.  Maybe your melee teammates were "just parked by the door with autoattack on", too?   Roll Eyes

Melee hit rate w/ high/max BAB, blinding speed and haste boosts, 45%+ attack speed bonuses from feats, enhancements and destiny stuff is better than gxbow rate of fire.  Combine that with near 100% doublestrike, ~200 melee power, and 14-18x4 + 19-20x6 (or better) crit profiles on a build spec'd for crit+helpless damage and it puts a gxbow to shame.

Gxbow builds are the warlocks of ranged.  They're a simple build and as a result, easy to play to a decent level of efficiency.  Just like warlocks though, their maximum potential is lower than good shuricannons and melee builds when run by an equally skilled min/maxer.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:56pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #53 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:19pm:
Just parked by the door with a gxbow on autofire and no IPS eh?  Cherry picking a raid which involves a metric ton of running back and forth for melee as if that proves anything except that design of that one raid heavily favors ranged?  Seriously?  I expect these sort of stupid games from harhar but not from you.  You of all people should know better 5FS.  The math doesn't support this BS.

You're either full of crap or you're running with serious melee scrubs.  Maybe your melee teammates were "just parked by the door with autoattack on", too?   Roll Eyes

Melee hit rate w/ high/max BAB, blinding speed and haste boosts, 45%+ attack speed bonuses from feats, enhancements and destiny stuff is better than gxbow rate of fire.  Combine that with near 100% doublestrike, ~200 melee power, and 14-18x4 + 19-20x6 (or better) crit profiles on a build spec'd for crit+helpless damage and it puts a gxbow to shame.

Gxbow builds are the warlocks of ranged.  They're a simple build and as a result, easy to play to a decent level of efficiency.  Just like warlocks though, their maximum potential is lower than good shuricannons and melee builds when run by an equally skilled min/maxer.

just shut up for a little while you're being an idiot

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #54 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:34pm:
just shut up for a little while you're being an idiot

Says the guy trying to make claims about melee builds who doesn't really know the details of melee builds.

harharharhar wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 3:31pm:
so doubleshot wraps but doublestrike does not?

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:39pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #55 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I expect these sort of stupid games from harhar but not from you.  You of all people should know better 5FS.  The math doesn't support this BS.

You made a claim about kill counts, not DPS.

Quote:
If your melee players couldn't outkill xbow builds

Which surprised me, because claims about DPS would be much more defensible. After all, it only takes one example to disprove a universal negative. Still, I think you are underestimating gxbow though.

Are you familiar with this build?

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1443343697/66#66

Because if you want to nitpick details, that is what I'm looking at.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #56 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:16pm:
You made a claim about kill counts, not DPS.

Which surprised me, because claims about DPS would be much more defensible. After all, it only takes one example to disprove a universal negative. Still, I think you are underestimating gxbow though.

Are you familiar with this build?  http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1443343697/66#66

Because if you want to nitpick details, that is what I'm looking at.

Sorry, that might have been ambiguous but I didn't mean kill count by "outkill".   DPS = killing mobs, which, to me is different from, even if related, to kill count.  I should have used "out DPS" instead.

Yes, I've run a gxbow build very similar to that.  Twice actually.  It's good DPS and fairly simple to play well, but it not much DPS as a good shuricannon. 

A good melee build in the hands of a highly skilled player is more raw DPS than shuri outside of unbridled.

I haven't ran this particular build myself, but it's a decent example of what a good melee can do.  There are several melee builds with this sort of potential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHFAZAmOsUU

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:40pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:23pm:
A good melee build in the hands of a highly skilled player is more raw DPS than shuri outside of unbridled.

way more over time in favor of melee. shuris can do 40-50k maxxed for the first 30seconds, then they drop to around 10k~ until epic moment cools down. melees now do around 20k-30k sustained for the full 5 minutes.

kensei https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwJasJea_Bw

pure monk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VSgLFx55o

knife fighter rogue https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7mj4CfXNKYhKn2Lkh140bA

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #58 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:10pm
Print Post  

Not sure that's something to be bragging about. But many can't resist trying to "impress pugs" with killcounts instead of damaging targets that matter and leave trash for instakills or be. Much like 1 hour pug Shroud.
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:48pm:
way more over time in favor of melee.

That's your channel Ruby ?

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:19pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #59 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
way more over time in favor of melee. shuris can do 40-50k maxxed for the first 30seconds, then they drop to around 10k~ until epic moment cools down. melees now do around 20k-30k sustained for the full 5 minutes.

Over time being the important operative qualifier here. Few things require more than 30 seconds of straight beatdown to kill, also, Also, throwers can kill many targets at once because of IPS, which unless you are only ever testing DPS on a static target for 5 minutes, this is a pretty poor DPS characterization.

Of course, most Melee builds can DPS multiple mobs at once to, but do so at greater risk of death, or reduced damage (glancing blows).

PS: THere are three distinct damage profiles for throwers:
During Unbridled with 10k
During 10k with Adrenalines
During nothing with with nothing regenerating adrenalines

What are you DPS assumptions for those three situations?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
That's your channel Ruby ?

no, symbiot of phantom company.

harharharhar wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:25pm:
PS: THere are three distinct damage profiles for throwers:
During Unbridled with 10k
During 10k with Adrenalines
During nothing with with nothing regenerating adrenalines

What are you DPS assumptions for those three situations?

1. 40-50k
2. 10k~
3. takes forever
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:34pm by Rubbinns »  

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #61 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I'm not following how DPS goes down by 80% outside of unbridled. Unbridled provides 10 adrenalines shots, only ~7 of which in the 30 seconds are able to be Sniper Shotted due to 6 sec cooldown, if performed perfectly (which is insanely hard to do unless you literally dont fire between sniper shots)

In 30 seconds of 10k, you can do the exact same thing with adrenalines and sniper shots (7 of them).

What exactly am I missing here in your assumptions?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:39pm:
Unbridled provides 10 adrenalines shots, only ~7 of which in the 30 seconds are able to be Sniper Shotted due to 6 sec cooldown, if performed perfectly (which is insanely hard to do unless you literally dont fire between sniper shots)

to get those times the rotation includes expending adrenaline charges in addition to having unbridled every 3rd second

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #63 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Yeah not sure that's a great way to try and do DPS on a Fury for greater than 30 seconds.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:17pm
Print Post  

shavara on a shuri

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #65 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I dont understand why you posted this video. No one, least of all me, is arguing the speed at which a thrower can pump all of it's DPS quickly into a red named kobold.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #66 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 11:11pm
Print Post  

But what about the Trees, bruh?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:06am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:24pm:
I dont understand why you posted this video. No one, least of all me, is arguing the speed at which a thrower can pump all of it's DPS quickly into a red named kobold.

took shav 8 adrenalines to get 14 seconds. 1 adren/2 seconds while 10k. after those 1st 30 seconds it's one adren every 5 seconds and waiting on 10k for the next 30 seconds(poor compared to melee). tremendous dip in dps vs a melee never having its dps drop. post-burst the 5s/adren rate would take 40 seconds to down that boss and only if 10k is active, which it wouldn't be for the last 10 seconds of those 40. eventually adren will deplete too.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #68 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:11am
Print Post  

Yep, this is what I'm talking about.   Outside of the 30s of Unbridled Fury glory, proper melee builds wipe the floor with ranged DPS.  Kind of funny how some people are too biased or just plain ignorant of melee potential to consider it.

Shuricannons are the boss killers, DPS melee and DC casters are the mission clearers.  Gxbow builds are the warlocks of ranged (aka a load of meh).

For shuris, even that statement becomes debatable in high-skull boss fights since the damage reduction penalty makes the fight last significantly longer than 30s.  Shuris still hold the advantage in certain boss fights where the boss has nasty AEs that can 1-shot non-homer tank melee builds.  On the rest, melee hold their own or pull ahead.

Outside of Unbridled, a DPS melee with haste boost beats a shuricannon with 10ks and dmg boost.  It's also easier to get more action boosts on a melee due to LD and splashing Kensai.   Shuricannons don't have those options in FotW with monk and ranger.

Swapping in a Draconic Reinvigoration weapon every 1.6 mins makes it easily possible to use haste boost every time it's off timer on a melee and have very few issues getting from shrine to shrine before running out, too.

The only real issue for DPS melee builds is adding in enough defenses to survive in high skull reaper without neutering their DPS too much.  That's a tricky balancing act, but it can be done.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:27am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 11:11pm:
But what about the Trees, bruh?

cant test in dojo.

hard to quantify. slow first 20 seconds then insane dps after(prolly highest in game), then back to slow until final form again.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #70 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:25am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:25pm:
Over time being the important operative qualifier here. Few things require more than 30 seconds of straight beatdown to kill, also, Also, throwers can kill many targets at once because of IPS, which unless you are only ever testing DPS on a static target for 5 minutes, this is a pretty poor DPS characterization.

The higher the skulls go, the more incorrect those statements become.

For some of the newer content, it doesn't even require reaper to invalidate those statements.   Portals in L Shroud, the dragon in Riding the Storm Out, etc.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #71 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 10:49am
Print Post  

How about 60% attack speed, 8.8[2d8]W, over 100% Doubleshot, over 200 ranged power, and 15-20x4+19-20x6 on a build with 27d6 sneak attack dice?

Honestly I laughed when you said you needed helplessness to crit for 6k.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:08am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #72 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 10:49am:
How about 60% attack speed, 8.8[2d8]W, over 100% Doubleshot, over 200 ranged power, and 15-20x4+19-20x6 on a build with 27d6 sneak attack dice?

Honestly I laughed when you said you needed helplessness to crit for 6k.

Anyone who says Xbows are not still ridiculously powerful just frankly has never played one or looked closely enough.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #73 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:11am:
Yep, this is what I'm talking about.   Outside of the 30s of Unbridled Fury glory, proper melee builds wipe the floor with ranged DPS.  Kind of funny how some people are too biased or just plain ignorant of melee potential to consider it.

Shuricannons are the boss killers, DPS melee and DC casters are the mission clearers.  Gxbow builds are the warlocks of ranged (aka a load of meh).

For shuris, even that statement becomes debatable in high-skull boss fights since the damage reduction penalty makes the fight last significantly longer than 30s.  Shuris still hold the advantage in certain boss fights where the boss has nasty AEs that can 1-shot non-homer tank melee builds.  On the rest, melee hold their own or pull ahead.

Outside of Unbridled, a DPS melee with haste boost beats a shuricannon with 10ks and dmg boost.  It's also easier to get more action boosts on a melee due to LD and splashing Kensai.   Shuricannons don't have those options in FotW with monk and ranger.

Swapping in a Draconic Reinvigoration weapon every 1.6 mins makes it easily possible to use haste boost every time it's off timer on a melee and have very few issues getting from shrine to shrine before running out, too.

The only real issue for DPS melee builds is adding in enough defenses to survive in high skull reaper without neutering their DPS too much.  That's a tricky balancing act, but it can be done.

There is so much exposition of poor playstyle in this I don't even know where to begin.

Also, melees are still mostly garbage in high skulls. You have to have the best best build, best gear, and be exceptionally good at playing. That's like 1% of people who play this game (so like, 2 people).

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #74 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:25am:
The higher the skulls go, the more incorrect those statements become.

For some of the newer content, it doesn't even require reaper to invalidate those statements.   Portals in L Shroud, the dragon in Riding the Storm Out, etc.

high skulls are level drains and vorpals which highly favor throwers. Against bosses, you dump DPS.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:25am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint