Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Collectables Farming Guide (Read 55654 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: Collectables Farming Guide
Reply #25 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:47am:
You are correct though about one thing though.  Until you can post some accurate numbers and math that prove otherwise, there's no point in claiming manual farming is more efficient than scripting it.

Let me try this slowly.

Other people aren't you (shocking, right?).
Other people don't do the same things as you.
Other people aren't willing to put the same amount of effort into a stupid fucking game as you are.

Yes, technically - if you have the resources and the know-how and you're starting from scratch, scripting would be the way to go and produce the best yield.

But for other non-you people (which are the majority, there are far more non-you people than you.  I know, shocking) when you look at amount of effort vs gain, your method requires far more work and resources than just casual farming.

If I needed, or even wanted, thousands of uncommon collectables, yes, I would probably go scripting.  I don't and I don't.  Once in a blue moon, I need like 5.  Maybe 10.  I put a little effort into making a farmer, but I could easily farm them with an existing toon, when needed, with far less effort and time than creating the system you propose.

Or, which is most often the case, when I have an undetermined amount of play time (usually around 5-15 minutes while waiting for my wife) I pop over and do some farming since I really don't have time to do much of anything else, which keeps my stocks full and keeps me in shards.

So if you want to make a hard-core farmers guide, have at it and I wish you the best of luck.  I made this to help out the non-you players cut down on their grind without having to duel box.

If you're happy with your system, rock on.  Believe it or not, when I made this I wasn't think "man, I sure hope this helps out that Digimonk guy." 

If you still seek attention over something so fucking trivial, I suggest getting a puppy for approval.  Your Barcelot level obsession with this topic has long since gotten boring.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #26 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I mean, you have a point. I just think you overestimate how long it takes to write (or copy) a script. Once that's done, it's just log in and hit run.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Can anyone post or upload an example of one of these basic scripts? Doesn’t have to be a full one, maybe just for one quest so I can learn

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
Can anyone post or upload an example of one of these basic scripts? Doesn’t have to be a full one, maybe just for one quest so I can learn

You can PM as well

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #29 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:24pm:
I mean, you have a point. I just think you overestimate how long it takes to write (or copy) a script. Once that's done, it's just log in and hit run.

The script really isn't the issue at all really, it's all the other resources involved.

Two biggest factors are getting a second account up and running.  Price isn't an issue at all, it's basic principle.  I absolutely refuse to give turbine a single cent more than I have to and I seriously find duel boxing boring as snot.  I tried it for a few days and quickly lost interest years ago.

How many packs and races/classes would you have to unlock to make a decent farmer?  If the answer is one or more, it's more effort than I want to put into grinding out the ddo points Tongue

My work computers/system/lines could obviously handle it, but it's not like I'm in the IT department - and it really doesn't matter that the IT department works for me, it's unprofessional as hell.  "Hey guys, my hobby is playing this stupid on line game, which one of our computers can I download it on so I can farm some gay and retarded collectables?"  No, that's not going to happen.

Which leaves my crappy "recently industrialized country" home line which can handle one connection just fine, but a second simultaneous connection of an online game is going to throw me off line within an hour tops.  I can AFK farm one thing at a time and that's either going to be XP, rems, or tokens - collectables are really the easiest of the 4 to rack up, so it's an obvious choice.

Had I done more with my dummy account years ago when I was still state side and had a more functional second account, yeah, I'd probably occasionally alternate and do some farming with it while I'm showering instead of grabbing two tokens of the 12 in the same time period, but I didn't and I don't, so see the number 1 reason again to why I have no interest in putting the effort in to creating a dummy account Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2018 at 3:34pm by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 3:33pm:
The script really isn't the issue at all really, it's all the other resources involved.

Two biggest factors are getting a second account up and running.  Price isn't an issue at all, it's basic principle.  I absolutely refuse to give turbine a single cent more than I have to and I seriously find duel boxing boring as snot.  I tried it for a few days and quickly lost interest years ago.

How many packs and races/classes would you have to unlock to make a decent farmer?  If the answer is one or more, it's more effort than I want to put into grinding out the ddo points Tongue

My work computers/system/lines could obviously handle it, but it's not like I'm in the IT department - and it really doesn't matter that the IT department works for me, it's unprofessional as hell.  "Hey guys, my hobby is playing this stupid on line game, which one of our computers can I download it on so I can farm some gay and retarded collectables?"  No, that's not going to happen.

Which leaves my crappy "recently industrialized country" home line which can handle one connection just fine, but a second simultaneous connection of an online game is going to throw me off line within an hour tops.  I can AFK farm one thing at a time and that's either going to be XP, rems, or tokens - collectables are really the easiest of the 4 to rack up, so it's an obvious choice.

Had I done more with my dummy account years ago when I was still state side and had a more functional second account, yeah, I'd probably occasionally alternate and do some farming with it while I'm showering instead of grabbing two tokens of the 12 in the same time period, but I didn't and I don't, so see the number 1 reason again to why I have no interest in putting the effort in to creating a dummy account Wink

Very interesting. How do you get the tokens afk? Aura warlock plus ranged hireling? How can you still get do afk

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #31 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Excuse #1.  Excuse #2.  Excuse #3.... Excuse #N...

For fuck's sake, run it on your main account while you're doing non-computer stuff if that's the case you mule-headed schmuck.  Why do people even need to tell you this? 

You're just like Fran.  You post some stupid stuff and when people offer you advice on a better way, all you do is make excuse after excuse on why you can't/won't do it.

If you'd spent all the time you spent bitching and moaning and making excuses on these boards and the time you spent writing an *optimal* guide for doing this the hard way, you could have easily taught yourself how to use AHK, written a few scripts and never had to worry about manually farming collectibles again.

But you go ahead and do it your way.  I should have known better than to try and help.  Silly me.

P.S.  Being able to use some form of basic scripting, like having an alt account, has a lot more long-term benefits than just gathering collectibles and is useful for far more than just DDO.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #32 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:58pm:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/486542-Cannith-Deconstuction-Script

Full disclosure.  That's not my forum thread, nor my script.  There are better ways to code the loot deconning and make it more automated and resistant to lag, but it's enough to at least give you the idea.

Between that and reading the AHK help file which is full of examples of how to use the functions, you should have no problems figuring it out.

One tip I will provide is that the image recognition function in AHK is a bit finnicky, but it will help a lot with compensating for lag when scripting certain things.  It's well worth figuring it out.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #33 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Tip: don't use the in-game screen cap tool for image search stock.  That drove me nuts for a good hour the first script I tried.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #34 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 4:25pm:
For fuck's sake, run it on your main account while you're doing non-computer stuff if that's the case you mule-headed schmuck.  Why do people even need to tell you this?

Jesus fuck, will you work on your reading comprehension before you open that window licking retarded mouth of yours?  I've only said about a dozen fucking times I do OTHER things that are harder to do with my main account that are high priorities than collectables.

Fucking seriously, you are damn near dumb enough to be Grand.  I'm not even, nor never have, completely disagreeing with you.  I've never once said there's no validity to your statements, just that it doesn't work for everyone.

You seem to think you need to be 100% correct.  Good luck with that, you're far too obtuse to ever hit those numbers here or in real life.

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:35am by Skoodge »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #35 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:35am:
Jesus fuck, will you work on your reading comprehension before you open that window licking retarded mouth of yours?  I've only said about a dozen fucking times I do OTHER things that are harder to do with my main account that are high priorities than collectables.

I did read that part.  I was trying to be nice and not point out how stupid that statement was.  Since you can't leave well enough alone so here it goes.

You think running actual missions to farm 20 tokens for a TR is harder and/or more boring than cycling instances for collectibles hundreds of times?  Really?  20 easy mission completions with all the relevant XP, potential loot, etc. vs mindlessly cycling instances several hundred times?  It's pretty clear which one is more beneficial and fun and which one should be scripted. 

Mysterious Rems?  Even easier to get in sufficient quantities by just running missions than tokens.   You literally get thousands of them just running missions normally with no special effort towards rems.

If you think getting tokens for TRs and mysterious rems is hard, your priorities and difficulty assessments are retarded.

It's obvious at this point that, like Fran, all the advice in the world won't help you, so good luck and happy manual instance cycling.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2018 at 11:00am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #36 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Apparently the goalposts have moved from "scripting is too hard to be worth it" to "I'm already scripting more important stuff during every work and sleep hour on my main account"?

I still don't think it follows that you should spend any time manually instance farming collectibles.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #37 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 9:08am:
Apparently the goalposts have moved from "scripting is too hard to be worth it"

I totally get there's been a lot of players on the field in this very long, mostly pointless game (I.E. a ton of text) but the goal post was never there.

The goal post was (and still is) "setting up an alt for farming vs using resources that have already been invested in." 

"I'm already scripting more important stuff during every work and sleep hour on my main account"?

I didn't say that either (get some sports binoculars Wink ).  I'm not scripting at all.  Just plopping an auralock (you know, that thing you suggested I do as an answer for almost every question I've asked farming wise over the last 6 months) to farm things that take longer to farm than collectables.

So to try and summarize so we're on the same page - the issues on the table at this point are:

Making an alt account to script farm with vs using your main - and I went into great detail that had I stuck with it years ago, yeah, an alt would be the most efficient method.  I didn't and at this point it just isn't worth the time investment.

And manually farming collectables and AFK farming other things (rems, XP, Tokens) on a main account vs using the same account to script farm collectables.

Second point I stand by my argument.  I can keep my collectables where I need them by just throwing 5 or 10 minutes at it here and there.  I can grab 10 plus needed uncommons in ten minutes.

Now try and tell me you can rack up as many rems, as much XP or even tokens in that same 10 minutes. 

I still don't think it follows that you should spend any time manually instance farming collectibles.

Maybe you're not married, but what do you do with uncertain amounts of time with the game as they come up?

I can only say this so many times, that's really all the investment I have to put into it at this point.  Wife's on her way but because of traffic she can be home in 5 minutes or 15 minutes.  Depending on the level the toon I'm running is at the time, usually not enough time to safely run quests, so I pop over to my farmer and rack up some collectables while waiting.  After that, I can drop it in a quest to farm something else while I'm AFK.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #38 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 10:14am:
Second point I stand by my argument.  I can keep my collectables where I need them by just throwing 5 or 10 minutes at it here and there.  I can grab 10 plus needed uncommons in ten minutes.

Now try and tell me you can rack up as many rems, as much XP or even tokens in that same 10 minutes. 

I'm telling you I rack up all the rems, XP and tokens as I need by just playing the game and without putting zero extra or special effort into farming the rems or tokens. 

I literally have 20k surplus remnants in the bank after equipping 3 toons with all the remnant tomes and the useful eternal potions.  I get enough tokens for TRs and crafting just by running the missions, even if I don't necessarily get enough to make spare PEDs to go around handing out unbound crafted stuff to newbies like candy.

Collectibles on the other hand, I was always finding myself short on a rare one here and there any time I wanted to craft stuff and did indeed have to put 5, 10, 15, 30 or even occasionally 60 minutes of special effort cycling instances instead of doing the fun stuff in the game.   

This is and has been the whole point of the debate from the get go.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #39 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Had I done more with my dummy account years ago when I was still state side and had a more functional second account, yeah, I'd probably occasionally alternate and do some farming with it while I'm showering instead of grabbing two tokens of the 12 in the same time period, but I didn't and I don't, so see the number 1 reason again to why I have no interest in putting the effort in to creating a dummy account

Congrats on showering more often now.

It is nice that computers mostly don't have olfactory interfaces.

Digimonk wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 5:51pm:
It's pretty clear which one is more beneficial and fun and which one should be scripted. 

I tried AHK for my shower, but Toke is right; the screen grab is really finicky. Have resorted to manual grinding, and I gotta say, there's really something to the organic feel.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #40 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:22pm:
I tried AHK for my shower, but Toke is right; the screen grab is really finicky. Have resorted to manual grinding, and I gotta say, there's really something to the organic feel.

I realize, or at least think, this is a bit of tongue in cheek, but yes, the image search functions are quirky.  Took me a bit to get them dialed in, but once you do, it's worth it. 

I occasionally find that the imagesearch portions of a script that worked perfectly the night before suddenly won't find the image the next day.  I suspect a few pixels change slightly between client sessions.  But I have a pretty efficient process for quickly grabbing an updated image for what's needed so it only takes a minute or so to update and get it running again.

I had good luck with a combination of an imagesearch then click loop followed by an imagesearch wait until loop that waits for  whatever image or screen should follow the click.  That helps compensate for lag, slow loading screens, etc.  It comes in really handy for deconstructing RNG items for essences since that crafting interface lags like a mofo.

I also found that keeping the target images smaller and using .png format seemed to increase the reliability.

For example, this is what I used as the imagesearch target for selecting difficulty.

Keep in mind that if you use imagesearch to return the coordinates, it returns the coordinates of the top-left pixel of the image it found so you always want to search for an image with the top left portion in the middle of what you actually want to click.  That or do some math to adjust the coordinates down and to the right a little for the actual click.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:23am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #41 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:15am:
I suspect a few pixels change slightly between client sessions.

No need for modesty. If you have clients, I'm sure it's more than a few pixels.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #42 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Just playing the game I have about every single thing I have needed when I craft. I have had to farm a few ornate charms,  but that's about it. Didn't take long and not sure about all this not worth it shit. You don't even need to do anything but play the actual game for the most part . Whatevs I guess... Undecided

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Has anyone noticed any weirdness lately with certain collectibles not dropping?

My go to place for ornate charms is epic casual taven brawl. Drop down and grab the node under the stairs, recall out. Quick and easy.

I seem to remember getting an ornate charm every 3-5 runs doing that. However I did about 15 runs over the last few days and got ZERO.

Bad luck, or have they changed something? (or fucked something up more likely)

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #44 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 11:51am:
Has anyone noticed any weirdness lately with certain collectibles not dropping?

My go to place for ornate charms is epic casual taven brawl. Drop down and grab the node under the stairs, recall out. Quick and easy.

I seem to remember getting an ornate charm every 3-5 runs doing that. However I did about 15 runs over the last few days and got ZERO.

Haven't farmed any collectible mats in a while but the Ornate Charms are an Uncommon mat from the Cultural category.

The collectible node under the stairs in Tavern Brawl is an Adventurer's Pack, which can give mats from any of the four mat categories, Arcane, Lore, Natural, Cultural.  There is a theory that maybe the Rubble and Adventurer's packs tend to be skewed towards providing Cultural type mats due to scarcity of other sources for Cultural mats but even with that in mind, since there is a common, uncommon and rare mat within each of those 4 categories, that means you have a higher chance of pulling one of the 4 possible common mats instead of Ornate Charms.

If I remember the distributions of common vs uncommon vs rare from back when I cycled through tens of thousands of instances stockpiling mats, it worked out to roughly 90-9-1 ratios or at least something close to that.  It's easily within the realm of RNG that you could do 15 runs and not pull one.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2019 at 4:34pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 4:24pm:
Haven't farmed any collectible mats in a while but the Ornate Charms are an Uncommon mat from the Cultural category.

The collectible node under the stairs in Tavern Brawl is an Adventurer's Pack, which can give mats from any of the four mat categories, Arcane, Lore, Natural, Cultural.  There is a theory that maybe the Rubble and Adventurer's packs tend to be skewed towards providing Cultural type mats due to scarcity of other sources for Cultural mats but even with that in mind, since there is a common, uncommon and rare mat within each of those 4 categories, that means you have a higher chance of pulling one of the 4 possible common mats instead of Ornate Charms.

If I remember the distributions of common vs uncommon vs rare from back when I cycled through tens of thousands of instances stockpiling mats, it worked out to roughly 90-9-1 ratios or at least something close to that.  It's easily within the realm of RNG that you could do 15 runs and not pull one.

Thanks. Must be just a run of bad luck on them. I've always had a pretty good rate of ornate charms at that node, one of the very few collectibles I actively have to  farm for,  my good luck must have run out!   Sad

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 11:51am:

Could be the latter, like how they broke the ballistas in Framework.  SSG swore they didn't touch ballistas, yet in Sharn there's a quest where they did make adjustments...with unintended consequences of breaking Framework.  Consider there's an entire ES quest that's "haunted" where the collectibles don't give anything after multiple attempts by devs to fix it. 

There are certain Rubble piles that only drop Arcane and Natural collectibles.  It's a bug or a feature, depending on what you're after.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #47 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Apr 10th, 2019 at 12:53pm:
Could be the latter, like how they broke the ballistas in Framework.  SSG swore they didn't touch ballistas, yet in Sharn there's a quest where they did make adjustments...with unintended consequences of breaking Framework.  Consider there's an entire ES quest that's "haunted" where the collectibles don't give anything after multiple attempts by devs to fix it. 

There are certain Rubble piles that only drop Arcane and Natural collectibles.  It's a bug or a feature, depending on what you're after.

DDO's entire codebase is nothing but pile of unintended consequences at this point.  And it's largley thanks to the devs' piss poor ongoing maintenance practices and years of doing the bare minimum required to slap a bandaid on any semi-difficult problem to cover it up and move on as quickly as possible.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Must have been just a bad streak, did about 15 more runs over the last couple days and ended up with like 4 charms, which is more along the lines of what I've seen.

But yeah, NEVER underestimate the power of SSG/Turdbine to fuck up things that are working.

I fully expect all nodes to drop only prayer beads in the near future.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint