Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Where are the new players coming from? (Read 5391 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Where are the new players coming from?
Jan 17th, 2018 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Cannith is just swarming with new players now, even more so than the last time we were the default server (3? 4? 5 years ago?).  It's a stark contrast compared to when I first started playing again 6 months ago.  I haven't seen so many low level LFM for Korthos and the harbor (on freaking norm of all settings) in years (we actually occasionally have instances in the harbor and the market.  Instances!).

I know Turbine (SSG, whatever) isn't advertising, so where are the new players coming from (and who the hell decides to try out a decade old game?)?

It's been ages since I've seen so many 1st life, no guild having motherfuckers running around.  And they horrible.  I mean, beyond fucking clueless - far beyond not knowing where the water works are, they can't even get a hire to use a shrine level of horrible.

They're so bad and clueless about the game, the only thing I can think of is the devs and their families have finally started playing Wink

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Re: Where are the new players coming from?
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Like they say: "There's a sucker born every minute" Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Ya.. they will be gone again soon enough.. they dont hang around long after getting 1 shotted by champs and having to start a quest all over again..

IP Logged

Tangelina
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 4:17am
Print Post  
not only that, they'll get one shotted by those kobold casters doing harbor quests Cheesy

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 5:34am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 5:43pm:
Where are the new players coming from?

Probably from vaginas.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Short answer?  My Ass

Long answer? ......................................... My Ass

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 5:34am:
Probably from vaginas.

Yeah...that's not really how that joke works.

Where were you born? A: A hospital.  Mildly amusing juvenile humor. 

Where are you from?  Where did you come from?  A: My mother's vagina.  Again, mildly amusing.

Where are you coming from?  (referring to a shorter and more immediate time period) A: My mother's vagina.  Possibly amusing in a David Lynchesque manner, if intentional - but more likely just a butchered joke accidentally made disturbing.

ZooperDooper wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:51am:
Short answer?  My Ass

Long answer? ......................................... My Ass

This, however, is perfectly acceptable.  But your ass-people can't play ddo worth a fuck.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 7:13am:
This, however, is perfectly acceptable.  But your ass-people can't play ddo worth a fuck.

What they lack in twitch-ops they more then make up for in extra bodies for loot drops  Cheesy

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Probably people who keep an eye on the gaming sites.  Massively and such.  Any game with a F2P entry point may be worth a look.  Despite the dated graphics, the game has a lot going for it.  A lot of vet players look mostly at what is wrong or understand the nuances of balance and the higher difficulty levels but, to a new player, on norm or hard, the game is an entirely different experience. 

I got wrecked on my first character going into the water works adventure area in 2008.  It took me several tries to get through STK Part 1.  That Skele Caster/locked gate with kobolds and the optional necromancer area (sleet storm was my bane) felt like the ultimate challenge.  I think vets get more pissed about dying than new players.  I expect to die a lot and trial and error a lot in a new game.  That might be frustrating for vets to watch, though. 

I still think that the numbers will hold out, though, and 80% or more will quit within 2-3 weeks of starting.   Hopefully some stick with it.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:32am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I've also noticed the new players. And yes, most of them are totally clueless and still think they should start out on reaper difficulty.

I think it's a combination of Cannith being default server (Still I think?) and the expansion being rolled out at this time. Both have probably brought some people in.

Honestly sometimes it is kind of nice to have new people. I usually don't mind explaining things and trying to help. Sometimes though it's a real pain. When you're new you don't realize the huge leap in difficulty from level 14 reaper gianthold, and level 15 reaper mines and end up getting squashed and frustrated.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Scenario 1:
*new player joins Reaper party*
New player: Hi where to go
Party: There there and there...
5 minutes later
Party: Next quest/part!
*New player has left the party*

Scenario 2:
*new player joins Reaper party*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has died*
*new player has left the party*

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Scenario 2:
You could replace new player with Fran and it still works.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:05am:
Scenario 2:
You could replace new player with Fran and it still works.

OP!!!!  Angry

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:20am
Print Post  
In my last TR I was in an R1 pug with FOUR first lifers, and they weren't horrible.   All guilded so they were probably alts of whatever new-player guilds had recently popped up.

Though with the insane amount of grind needed to "catch up" I'd be astonished if anyone stuck around in this game.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
You don't need any of the grind stuff except epic past lives for TR'ing (AC, HP mostly)

The rest is literally just not important. Only exception at all is spell pen for casters with Sorc/Wiz PLs.

Racial PL's also do not make a big enough difference for a new play to need to give a shit about, and ditto reaper XP until they've gone through a couple lives, done some Epic TR's, and are ready to try and really learn the game and play reaper.

The steps for a new player are actually not that bad.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2018 at 2:15pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:20am:
In my last TR I was in an R1 pug with FOUR first lifers, and they weren't horrible.   All guilded so they were probably alts of whatever new-player guilds had recently popped up.

Though with the insane amount of grind needed to "catch up" I'd be astonished if anyone stuck around in this game.

Excluding all the past lives, if a new player had proper guidance, it's not that hard to "catch up" once they're at cap really.  All it takes gearwise is the new Ravenloft stuff with a few non-Ravenloft named items like the stuff from U31.  From there, even newbies should be able to farm enough mats in a few weeks to make a few pieces of Slave Lords crafted stuff to fill in the holes and they'll be good enough to not be useless even if it's not necessarily best-in-slot on everything.

With that said, SSG missed (by miles) a great opportunity allow the community to help new players level to cap when they decided to make the new, unbound Cannith Crafted stuff require a stupid amount of PEDs and rare collectibles.  In the old crafting system, I'd gladly a few pieces of gear or a weapon to help a newbie get started in heroics.  With the new system, there's I'm not going to burn 4 PEDs per ML5 item in the new system for some newbie that may or may not stick around.  It's tedious enough to get the PEDs I need for the crafting for my own PLs.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
If you only want to run R1, you don't need PL's.  The first two, to get to 36 point builds is enough.  Gear is more important and the offshoot of invalidating the entire gear history with the recent Ran Gen update in 2015 and the Cannith Crafting last year and ravenloft/slavers is that you can catch up in what most gamers would continue a reasonable amount of time. 

Of course, this is very build dependent.  If you want to try to make an AC/PRR heavy armor tank, you probably want to grind out every possible source of AC and PRR and that is way more lives.  But assuming you aren't taking on that kind of pet build project, then you are fine with a much smaller number of lives.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
They're all Grand.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #18 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
They're all Grand.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

That seriously made me laugh.  Joking aside though, as much as I don't care for Creepy Uncle Plays-with-dolls, I'm pretty sure he's at least a slightly above average player.

Asheras wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:32am:
Probably people who keep an eye on the gaming sites.  Massively and such.  Any game with a F2P entry point may be worth a look.

Haven't checked it out but probably should - maybe Ravenloft is actually causing a bit of a buzz and raising curiosity somewhere.

somenewnoob wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:40am:
Honestly sometimes it is kind of nice to have new people. I usually don't mind explaining things and trying to help. Sometimes though it's a real pain.

I'm trying man, I'm really trying.  I'm trying so hard to be cool about it and not be that guy I hated when I first started playing...

...but when you think you can knock out a full chain before bed and 20 minutes later you're still half way through the 1st 5 minute quest, it's hard not to scream

"Just click the fucking button!  Are you a fucking 'tard?!"
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2018 at 4:50pm by Skoodge »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #19 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:32am:
I still think that the numbers will hold out, though, and 80% or more will quit within 2-3 weeks of starting.   Hopefully some stick with it.

Devs have cast Sleet Storm on vet retention, so it would be nice for the game if someone can find good footing....

Skoodge wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 7:13am:
Where did you come from?

My dad's gear was best in slot.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Ravenloft was voted the #2 MMO expansion in 2017 by Massively readers.  Only GW2 beat it out: http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/27/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-best-expansi...

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 4:02pm:
I don't care for Creepy Uncle Plays-with-dolls

Everyone playing this game is "Uncle Plays-with-Dolls".  That's what this game is, except that the dolls are Pretend Dolls with which we pretend to dress up with pretend loot captured from killing pretend kobolds.

I'm trying so hard to be cool about it and not be that guy I hated when I first started playing.

DDO needs all the new players it can get, and it would be great if the ones that stay aren't bitter about the time they spent learning the game.

Lead by example, and please don't let that example be "Just click the fucking button!  Are you a fucking 'tard?!".  Everyone will be happier if you instead say "Face West, press Q to target & indicate the button, then press E to use it" - yeah, its a few more characters, but it ends up with new players that are less new and can click the button faster next time.

You don't have to coddle everyone, but paying attention to and gently encouraging the new players that show interest in contributing to efficient quest completions and are can tolerate dying multiple times without rage quitting will help everyone.

It's also ok to let new players know that you will continue to move faster than they can go and that you can't maintain that pace while backtracking to find them and take them to a raise shrine.  Not all groups are for all people, and if they're new to the game, your Reaper LFM might not be for them yet.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #22 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 8:46am:
Lead by example

Nearly 20 years of supervisor experience, I am a firm believer in leading by example.  Not only do I refuse to ask anyone working for me to do something I'm not willing to do myself, I'm sure to do it the first time to show none of us should be above any type of work, no matter what our position.

That said, I fully support your decision to come to Cannith to help out the newbs.

If you're transferring a character, be sure to clean out your TR bank first otherwise you might find yourself spending a lot of money on a gearless toon.

Should you decide to not spend real world money on the transfer (and I can't say I'd blame you) I'll do everything I can to get your new toon up to speed.

PM me your new toons name and I'll send you

-2500 essences towards getting your crafting levels up (you'll have to make a few alts to run through the tutorial for the boosters, but that should be enough to hit level 100 using the XP/success booster method).
-At least a medium bag full collectables (not just crap, I'll try and get at least 5-15 of the good stuff in there too).
-and a full set of green slotted gear for crafting.  I keep a back stock and should have one of each piece.  I suggest waiting for level 10 to use it, you can grab cheap yellow ones from the AH for lower levels.
-If needed, I'll try and run the slavers chain with you at least once and pass the ings over to you.

I suggest joining the Hand of Death.  They're probably the largest, newb friendly guild on Cannith at the moment.

There's not enough vaulties on Cannith, so I look forward to joining your groups soon!*

*provided you're running reaper.  you can put "1st timers welcome" in the description, I don't mind.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #23 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 7:49am:
Ravenloft was voted the #2 MMO expansion in 2017 by Massively readers. 

Now, the bigger question, where did all those votes come from?

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I'm trying man, I'm really trying.  I'm trying so hard to be cool about it and not be that guy I hated when I first started playing...

...but when you think you can knock out a full chain before bed and 20 minutes later you're still half way through the 1st 5 minute quest, it's hard not to scream

"Just click the fucking button!  Are you a fucking 'tard?!"

I know. I think the amount of grind "required" helps make us all into "that guy I hated" sometimes.

And for every time over the last month or so or however long Cannith has been the default, for every guy who walks into a Wiz King daily and doesn't know the quest who I run around and show him where t1, t2, t3 is.......there is another who constantly dies during a r1 acid wit who I decide to just put in my backpack and finish it solo since it takes too long to constantly haul hius stone to a shrine. (That clicky is only one fucking use after all!)

That's the problem with hamster wheels, when you try to step off it to help someone, your immediate reaction is "OH FUCK THE WHEEL STOPPED TURNING!!"

And I honestly feel bad for new players, because it is probably damn near impossible to find anybody to play with who isn't running elite or r1 in heroic levels. Some guy had a heroic shroud flaggers up all day one day on normal (think it was a saturday afternoon, so pretty active population time)......I kept looking at the panel....not one guy joined him during the couple hours it was up as he went through them. Because who the fuck would want to run the coal chamber not once, but twice since you'll want to go back and get the favor.

And for veteran players, anything less that elite gets pretty fucking boring challenge wise. I was one of the people who said I would never set foot in reaper. Fuck that! But when I finally stopped grinding epls, and got back in heroics, I tried it. And, just like green eggs and kargons tasty ham.......I liked it when i did. Heroic elites (other than some of the newer content when they crank it up to fuck factor 5) had gotten a little too easy, and too easy = boring.

So now we've got a fairly veteran player  base, who is either spinning the wheel as fast as it will go, or who is bored by no challenge difficulty, or who don't want to repeat quests to pick up favor.
And then new players, who either die a lot during the content we like to play or play to maximize our wheel spinning velocity, or who put up lonely lfm's for lower difficulty that rarely get anyone to join them.

Tough to be a new dude!

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint