Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Falconry Universal Tree (Read 7850 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Falconry Universal Tree
Jul 10th, 2018 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The Falconer universal tree is expected to be released with Update 39. This tree is not specific to any one class; like Harper Agent and Vistani Knife Fighter any character can spend points in this tree once they have unlocked access to it. It represents a character who is trained not only in Falconry, but is adept at using the hunting bird to make coordinated attacks on targets. The tree is mostly martial, but has a touch of Primal magic at the top end. The intense training required to bond with and fight with these birds of prey also hones the character's perception and ability to make pinpoint attacks.

The tree revolves around having a bird of prey; generally the dire version of a normal bird, to make extra attacks on opponents. It is designed to provide fewer big hits; the hunting bird swoops to attack seconds after you have made your weapon attack to provide extra damage and certain status effects. The gameplay flow is meant to be methodical and precise.

You can choose between five cosmetically distinct but mechanically identical birds of prey. You summon the hunting bird with a toggle. Once summoned, the hunting bird does not act like other pets currently available in DDO; it cannot be attacked, it cannot be killed while you live, it cannot generate hate, and, as a result, it does not benefit from effects that grant bonuses to "summoned creatures". Its attacks are coordinated with a melee or ranged attack you make, and it provides extra damage and some additional control effects. It follows you around until you command it to make a coordinated attack, at which time it flies off and then swoops down on its target.

The exact distribution method of this Universal Enhancement Tree is not yet decided, however, it is currently intended to be unlocked for all characters on an account that has purchased the White Plume Mountain Bonus Items from the DDO store, which is how you can gain access to it on Lamannia to try it out. The White Plume Mountain Bonus Items offer can be found in the "Account --> Adventure Packs --> Low Level" section of the DDO store or by searching for "White Plume". Give it a try and let us know how it plays!

Cores
Summon Avian Companion You have been trained to keep a hunting bird. Activate this ability to summon your companion. (Your pet cannot be attacked and cannot die. Damage it caused is attributed to you.) While your Hunting Bird is by your side, it grants you a +2 to Spot and Listen checks. Choose one:
Summon Falcon
Summon White Falcon
Summon Grey Owl
Summon Snow Owl
Summon Raven
Ability Score Choose an ability to improve:
+1 Strength
+1 Dexterity
+1 Constitution
+1 Intelligence
+1 Wisdom
+1 Charisma
Well Rounded I You gain +3 Melee Power, Ranged Power, Physical Resistance Rating, and Magical Resistance Rating. You gain +2 Spot and Listen.
Ability Score Choose an ability to improve:
+1 Strength
+1 Dexterity
+1 Constitution
+1 Intelligence
+1 Wisdom
+1 Charisma
Well Rounded II You gain +6 Melee Power, Ranged Power, Physical Resistance Rating, and Magical Resistance Rating. You gain +4 Spot and Listen.
Master Falconer You gain +2 to all ability scores and benefit from the spell Freedom of Movement. Your active Falcon attacks have a chance to reset the cooldown on Death From Above.

Tier 1
Rugged Gain +2/+4/+6 Physical Resistance Rating
Practiced Accuracy You gain +1/+2 to hit with weapons and +1/+2 to confirm critical attacks.
Hunter's Knowledge You gain a Animals as a Favored Enemy.
Out in Nature Gain +5/+10/+15 to Healing Amplification.
Wanderlust You gain +1/+2/+3 to Balance, Jump, and Swim. Rank 3: You gain +1 to Fortitude saving throws.

Tier 2
Killer Instinct I You can use your Wisdom modifier to hit with Melee and Missile weapons.
Watch the Center Grants +1/+2/+3 to Assassinate DC's
Diving Attack You and your Hunting Bird attack as one against a single target. Activate this ability to attack for +1/2/3(W) against a single target. Your Hunting Bird will follow up for an additional 3d6/6d6/10d6 damage that scales with 200% of melee or ranged power, whichever is higher. Your Hunting Bird also trips the target, causing them to become Helpless. Your target is slowed by 30% for 10 seconds whether they make the saving throw or not. Trip DC: 10 + Character Level + Wisdom modifier + Assassinate bonuses. Cooldown 20 seconds, with a 4.5 second shared cooldown with other hunting bird attacks. Choose One:
Diving Shot: Ranged Falconer Attack
Diving Strike: Melee Falconer Attack
Meticulous Weaponry Protect your items or increase your chance of recovering ammunition. Choose one:
Meticulous Weaponry: You have a [25/50/75]% chance to negate potential item wear.
Meticulous Fletching: You are skilled at enhancing, salvaging, and re-purposing your arrows, bolts, and throwing weapons. Your ammunition gains a 50/65/80% chance of returning.
Action Boost: Sprint +(30/35/40)% Action Boost bonus to movement speed for 20 seconds.

Tier 3
Killer Instinct II You can use your Wisdom modifier for damage with Melee and Missile weapons.
Tear Flesh Your bird attacks now also cause a bleed effect. Bleed: Do 1d6 damage every 2 seconds for 60 seconds. This stacks up to 10 times and scales with 200% Melee or Ranged Power.
Strike for the Eyes You and your Hunting Bird attack as one against a single target. Activate this ability to attack for +1/2/3(W) against a single target. Your Hunting Bird will follow up for an additional 3d6/6d6/10d6 damage that scales with 200% of melee or ranged power, whichever is higher. Your Hunting Bird also attempts to Blind the target, causing them to become Helpless. Your target is slowed by 30% for 10 seconds whether they make the saving throw or not. Blind DC: 10 + Character Level + Wisdom modifier + Assassinate bonuses. Cooldown 10 seconds, with a 4.5 second shared cooldown with other hunting bird attacks. Choose One:
Shoot for the Eyes: Ranged Falconer Attack
Strike for the Eyes: Melee Falconer Attack
Conditioning You gain +5% to your hit points.
Eyes of the Eagle You gain True Seeing.

Tier 4
Deadly Instinct Trance You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Wisdom modifier for 30/60/120 seconds. Cooldown: 20 seconds. 5 Charges per rest. Each attack from your avian companion has a chance to reset 1 charge. Antirequisite: This ability can not be trained if you have any other Trance ability.
No Mercy: You deal 10%/20%/30% additional damage to helpless opponents.
Coordinated Strikes Choose between a melee or ranged attack that will cause your bird to rain attacks over an area, damaging and blinding all foes in the area. Choose One:
Shoot and Destroy: Ranged Falconer Attack: You make a ranged attack for +2(W), as your Hunting Bird descends to frenzy in a large area around the first target struck for an additional 10d6 damage that scales with Melee or Ranged Power, whichever is higher. Your Hunting Bird also attempts to blind each opponent struck. Blind DC: 10 + Character Level + Wisdom modifier + Assassinate bonuses. Cooldown 1 Minute, with a 4.5 second shared cooldown with other hunting bird attacks.
Coordinated Cleave: Melee Falconer Cleave Attack: You cleave all opponents near you for +2(W), as your Hunting Bird descends to frenzy in a large area for an additional 10d6 damage that scales with Melee or Ranged Power, whichever is higher. Your Hunting Bird also attempts to blind each opponent struck. Blind DC: 10 + Character Level + Wisdom modifier + Assassinate bonuses. Cooldown 1 Minute, with a 4.5 second shared cooldown with other hunting bird attacks.
Expose Weakness Attacks from your hunting bird also reduce your target's fortification by 50%.
Shared Vision You are immune to Blindness effects.

Tier 5
Dangerous You gain +10 Melee and Ranged Power.
Mark the Prey You have learned how to spot weaknesses in even the mightiest of foes. You make an attack for +5(W) on the target, marking it as prey. The marked target takes 10% extra damage from you and your allies for 10 seconds. Cooldown 3 minutes. Choose One:
Mark the Prey: Melee Attack
Mark the Prey Shot: Ranged Attack
Death from Above Your Hunting Bird swoops down and attempts to end someone's Life. You make an attack for +1/+3/+5(W), and your Hunting Bird also attacks for 50/100/200 points of damage that scales with 200% of Melee or Ranged Power, whichever is higher. The target struck makes a Fortitude saving throw, and on a failed save, dies. DC: 10 + Character level + Wisdom bonus + Assassinate bonuses. Cooldown 1 Minute, with a 4.5 second shared cooldown with other hunting bird attacks. Choose One:
Death from Above Shot: Ranged Falconer Attack
Death from Above: Melee Falconer Attack
Thrill of the Hunt Your Hunting Bird swoops down and attempts to end someone's Life. You make an attack for +1/+3/+5(W), and your Hunting Bird also attacks for 50/100/200 points of damage that scales with 200% of Melee or Ranged Power, whichever is higher. The target struck makes a Fortitude saving throw, and on a failed save, dies. DC: 10 + Character level + Wisdom bonus + Assassinate bonuses. Cooldown 1 Minute, with a 4.5 second shared cooldown with other hunting bird attacks. Choose One:
Thrill of the Hunt: Melee Falconer Attack: You strike your target for +1/+3/+5(W). If you hit, you also heal for 5%/10%/20% of your total hit points in Positive Healing. Cooldown: 20 Seconds.
Thrill of the Hunt Shot: Ranged Falconer Attack: You strike your target for +1/+3/+5(W). If you hit, you also heal for 5%/10%/20% of your total hit points in Positive Healing. Cooldown: 20 Seconds.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/497735-Update-39-Preview-2-Falconry-Un...

yes.  Wisdom to hit and damage in a universal tree with no weapon or class restrictions is here.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:02pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Re: Falconry Universal Tree
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:13pm:
The tree lacks a specialized unarmed attack.

An instakill melee attack with a DC that can reach 100 easily against fort save isn't good enough?  (Also it does around 1000-1200 additional damage beyond the 5[W] it added to your regular attack0

What about a melee attack that does +5[W] and heals 20% of your HP on a 20 second cool down?

How about an attack that does 5[w] and adds 10% more damage for you and all your allies for 10 seconds. 

It also has an AoE Cleave attack with a ton of extra damage, 2W, and an AOE blindness effect (which yields sneak attacks)

It also has a single target blind, slowed, helpless status attack on a 10 second cool down. 

It has 50% fort reduction

It has 30% more helpless damage

It has 19 melee power.

Plus PRR, Sprint boost, heal amp, attack bonuses, and complete stat flexibility. 

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Low hanging FE are appreciated.
Trueseeing at around 10+AP

Asheras wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:26pm:
An instakill melee attack with a DC that can reach 100 easily against fort save isn't good enough?

Dammit!  I knew a Falcon Punch joke was going to fly over people’s heads.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:35pm by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
If they don't come up with a way to glamer the bird into one of your pets, they are missing out on a big cash-in.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Gods, the time a dev wasted on this joke could have been spent fixing important shit.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Lookin fun.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Wis Monk is gonna be sick.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:55am
Print Post  
I wonder if the bird attacks proc multiple times on multiple missiles, and/or IPS.

T5 Falconer + Racial AA Terror Arrows on a Fury Shot 14 monk/6 Ranger Wisdom Based Monkcher?

Can the bird attack be Adrenalined?

Instakills for trash in high reapers + Burst DPS for reapers/bosses

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:26pm:
An instakill melee attack with a DC that can reach 100 easily against fort save isn't good enough?  (Also it does around 1000-1200 additional damage beyond the 5[W] it added to your regular attack0

1 minute cooldown on bird kills foe. Yes enhancement for "there is a chance to reset this cooldown". We've seen this movie before.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
If my favorite mottled wood-owl striking fast at a mouse is not implemented in this update, the entire game is a fail.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
I see some fun possibilities here. I would have appreciated a Falcon Punch reference though.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:36pm:
If they don't come up with a way to glamer the bird into one of your pets, they are missing out on a big cash-in.

They're always missing cash-ins.

For example, a simple universal Brawler tree so non-monk players can do some minimal damage at a decent speed with an animation that doesn't look like the character was trained by his window-licking cousin.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:48pm:
Gods, the time a dev wasted on this joke could have been spent fixing important shit.

They are going to charge for this shit.  That's more important to them than fixing stuff they broke previously for free.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:32pm:
They are going to charge for this shit.  That's more important to them than fixing stuff they broke previously for free.

This. It's the sole reason War Priest/Soul is getting the shaft as far as updates go.

Can't sell a wisdom based melee/ranged tree with wisdom KtA if clerics and FVS get all the goodies on their own.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:39am
Print Post  
This was probably the 3rd tree they planned for FVS but then decided to charge for it, and explains why the new FVS tree is such shit and patched in at the last minute

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:30am
Print Post  
goldgolem wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:39am:
This was probably the 3rd tree they planned for FVS but then decided to charge for it, and explains why the new FVS tree is such shit and patched in at the last minute

Oh no, beacon of shit was their idea from over a year ago. They pitched it in the PC and it hasn't changed much since then. Much like the War Priest changes, they haven't developed in over a year since Steelstar did his first 'brilliant' pass. Of course since Steelstar is a rockstar we all know where this is going.  Cheesy

IP Logged

RolyPoly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Batten down the hatches and full power creep ahead!

This tree is so fucking ridiculous I don't even know where to start. There is so much meat in here that it will be required on all non caster builds and thoroughly abused by Wis casters. The thought of a Wis-based monk with Mass Frog and BoGW is just stupidly over-powered. Sigh.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:55am
Print Post  
RolyPoly wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:11am:

This tree is so fucking ridiculous I don't even know where to start. There is so much meat in here that it will be required on all non caster builds and thoroughly abused by Wis casters. The thought of a Wis-based monk with Mass Frog and BoGW is just stupidly over-powered. Sigh.

It gets very hard to gear dc items on a monk to pull off both of those. You can try swapping to something universal like nightmother's scepter ( and lose centering ), but the lack of overall dc boosts in monk class trees makes using those spells on high skulls or even high level quests almost impossible, even with wisdom 90~ monks. Frog also checks for spell resistance.

It is also a waste because monk already has tomb, the best single target cc spell in the game because it works on anything ever. It's the honeybadger of tactics; does not care who you are. And if a monk is going to get their wisdom that high then they might as well make a QP build by splashing 1 fvs for the better wisdom kta that doesnt have only 5 charges. Between the frequency of stun fist and jade tomb, why should a monk waste sp and try to gear dc boosting items.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:55am:
I wonder if the bird attacks proc multiple times on multiple missiles, and/or IPS.

A dev answered no, it'll only work on the first hit in any kind of multi-hit ability.

Edrein wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:30am:
Of course since Steelstar is a rockstar we all know where this is going.  Cheesy

Dead from inhaling its own vomit?   Cheesy

RolyPoly wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:11am:

This tree is so fucking ridiculous I don't even know where to start.

Don't fret.  After they sell a few thousand units it'll be nerfed down a bit.  That's how they roll.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #19 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I don't know how this tree will perform "in the wild" but...

I'll burn one AP just so my main (who is normally a Ranger) can have a snowy owl pet.

WIS to damage is gonna be the new black for every Monk, melee Druid and divine in general. Maybe even niche Ranger builds (exploit synergy with Aasimar/ Deep Gnomes?)

AoE Bird Blast will likely be LULZ too. Hopefully it will include full "SCREEEEEE!" sound effects.

This tree does seem pretty OP and subject to abuses I probably (re: assuredly) lack the skill to exploit fully.

I'll leave 5fs and the Builds division to hammer out the details on all that.  Grin

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:55am:

T5 Falconer + Racial AA Terror Arrows on a Fury Shot 14 monk/6 Ranger Wisdom Based Monkcher?

Can the bird attack be Adrenalined?

Instakills for trash in high reapers + Burst DPS for reapers/bosses

the bird is its own separate animation that comes after the basic attack has already registered and finished damage. everything is checked on the basic attack normally + the bird attack dc save, etc. bird will not ips, it can not adrenaline, your basic attack still will, but never the bird.

the range is as far as you can hit. tested longbow with ips on.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
cause your bird to rain attacks over an area

Metal-Beast wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:55pm:
AoE Bird Blast will likely be LULZ too.

Bird feed is high in fiber.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:12pm:
Don't fret.  After they sell a few thousand units it'll be nerfed down a bit.  That's how they roll.

So after everyone purchases it on their main and their secondary accounts.

More realistically it would be a month after the tree gets discounted in the ddostore.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #23 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:55pm:
I'll burn one AP just so my main (who is normally a Ranger) can have a snowy owl pet.

If the Extra Favored Enemy costs the same as the one from Vistani, invest 2.  An extra +2 damage to your FE, plus adding a common mob type to your FE list is worth a couple APs.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #24 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:15pm:
I see some fun possibilities here. I would have appreciated a Falcon Punch reference though.

Every Monk using this tree is de facto a "Falcon Punch" build.

You heard it here first.

QuantumFX wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:54pm:
If the Extra Favored Enemy costs the same as the one from Vistani, invest 2.  An extra +2 damage to your FE, plus adding a common mob type to your FE list is worth a couple APs.

Seems like an option. FE: Animal is one of the "would be Nice" options that never quite made the cut for a feat.

Now it won't have to.  Smiley

Revaulting wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 4:29pm:
Bird feed is high in fiber.

Lots of splash damage.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint