Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Thrower Builds? (Read 8147 times)
makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Thrower Builds?
Jun 25th, 2020 at 3:17am
Print Post  
I quit playing a while back (before ravenloft mostly) and have decided to play again during the everything is free period.

Back then the main throwing builds were: 14 monk/6 ranger, 8 monk/6 fighter/6 ranger using shurikens and FOTW. I preferred the 14/6 version as I favored the access to abundant step.

Now it seems other throwers might be viable? I deleted all my spreadsheets from before, and I don't have current game sense of features, etc. to trust knowing what's the best option at the moment.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? (my fallback is to just use the 14/6 split, which should still be decent?) My goal is high end reapers eventually raids and the like, but I've got a bit of catching up to do before I can do that.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Thrower Builds?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 4:26am
Print Post  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 4:27am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 25th, 2020 at 4:26am:

No thank you. I might be out of sorts on the game, but I'm not THAT out of sorts to think that pure 20 monk is a competitive thrower build.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2020 at 4:28am by makar »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Halfling Rogue split of some sort using Throwing Daggers and mainly the Vistani tree seems to me what the best throwers are right now.

Sorry, Makar, I don't have a split suggestion for you. I'm just now starting to think about re-doing my Monk 20 Shuricannon.

It would be nice if there was something in the Vistani tree that would allow Monks to stay centered with Daggers/Throwing Daggers.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2020 at 1:50pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
throwers suck now

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I'm currently running 12brd/5rng/1rog; with Human/swash/deepwood/falconry/Vistani trees to grind out racial lives and It's tremendous fun. I throw various Deadly grenades to beat resists most of the time, using the 80% fletching to make them practical. l also use a couple different as spell-plagued darts and throwing daggers for all the great debuffs and damage.

At 18 I have a walk around doubleshot of 119% and I can boost that for 30% with Brd, 20% with Vist, or 18% with haste boost. Its so crazy when you post up in a good spot and just make it rain grenades with doubleshot of 239% between the simple-weapon expertise, multitude of missiles.

Also lots of special thrown attacks to slow, bluff, damage, reduce threat, etc. 

Currently is human, and am really looking forward to Halfling lives.   
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2020 at 3:05pm by Bishop »  

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Even better with the Halfling size, the Grenades are fantastic fun when you get swarmed as well, throw at a far target and still AOE the swarm around you on the way out as well. Only downside is that there isn't much use for the hobbit racial treee, so glad I'm not too deep in racial past life points.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2020 at 3:18pm by Bishop »  

IP Logged

makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Jun 25th, 2020 at 3:05pm:
I'm currently running 12brd/5rng/1rog; with Human/swash/deepwood/falconry/Vistani trees to grind out racial lives and It's tremendous fun. I throw various Deadly grenades to beat resists most of the time, using the 80% fletching to make them practical. l also use a couple different as spell-plagued darts and throwing daggers for all the great debuffs and damage.

At 18 I have a walk around doubleshot of 119% and I can boost that for 30% with Brd, 20% with Vist, or 18% with haste boost. Its so crazy when you post up in a good spot and just make it rain grenades with doubleshot of 239% between the simple-weapon expertise, multitude of missiles.

Also lots of special thrown attacks to slow, bluff, damage, reduce threat, etc. 

Currently is human, and am really looking forward to Halfling lives.   

So I can see this as a good build for TRs. But for endgame you'd definitely want minimum of 6 ranger for sniper shot. Neither bard 6 nor bard 12 cores are really doing much, so we can drop this down to 3-5 bard levels. Leaving us 9-11 other levels to apply to our 3rd class. Which means probably 11 alchemist or 11 rogue.

If you are going daggers, I do agree that 3 bard / 6 ranger / X something seems like the most logical choice. Probably 11 rogue / 6 ranger / 3 bard. I don't know how this compares to 8 monk / 6 ranger / 6 fighter shuriken thrower however. Probably better, as you are a lot more efficient with points. 11 alchemist instead of 11 rogue would also could probably be pretty good, but it'd be giving up evasion entirely.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
20 ranger is VERY strong as well, tho there are good arguments for splashing
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2020 at 2:20pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
After looking at it and asking a few folks for some advice, the 11Rog/6Rngr/3Bard looks to be the split I will use.

Evasion, Sneak Attack damage, all those ranged feats, T5 DWS enhancements, and Swashbuckling are all really great reasons for that split.

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2020 at 8:25pm by Technomage »  

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jul 7th, 2020 at 5:36pm:
After looking at it and asking a few folks for some advice, the 11Rog/6Rngr/3Art looks to be the split I will use.

Evasion, Sneak Attack damage, all those ranged feats, T5 DWS enhancements, Swashbuckling, and Runearm use are all really great reasons for that split.

20 Ranger is better than this build, IMO (especially if going T5 DWS for DWS Capstone and extra FEs). You can self heal with Cure Serious, 4 more SA dice, 4 more dex, very good debuff from Ranger 18, also very strong defense options in Tempest if you want

also what I've been running for the last month, very happy with it as a someone who has run A LOT of thrower builds
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2020 at 6:08pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 7th, 2020 at 5:49pm:
20 Ranger is better than this build, IMO (especially if going T5 DWS for DWS Capstone and extra FEs). You can self heal with Cure Serious, 4 more SA dice, 4 more dex, very good debuff from Ranger 18, also very strong defense options in Tempest if you want

also what I've been running for the last month, very happy with it as a someone who has run A LOT of thrower builds

I edited my splits. I meant 3 Bard, not 3 Artificer.

Swashbuckling on a Dagger (even a throwing dagger) is pretty spiffy.

But I'll at least give your build a quick look.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2020 at 8:28pm by Technomage »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 1:02am
Print Post  
3 Bard is much better than Arty, no question.

It's a solid build it just lacks strong self healing like the Ranger 20, in exchange for being a little bit higher DPS

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 1:48am
Print Post  
makar wrote on Jul 7th, 2020 at 1:24pm:
So I can see this as a good build for TRs. But for endgame you'd definitely want minimum of 6 ranger for sniper shot. Neither bard 6 nor bard 12 cores are really doing much, so we can drop this down to 3-5 bard levels. Leaving us 9-11 other levels to apply to our 3rd class. Which means probably 11 alchemist or 11 rogue.

If you are going daggers, I do agree that 3 bard / 6 ranger / X something seems like the most logical choice. Probably 11 rogue / 6 ranger / 3 bard. I don't know how this compares to 8 monk / 6 ranger / 6 fighter shuriken thrower however. Probably better, as you are a lot more efficient with points. 11 alchemist instead of 11 rogue would also could probably be pretty good, but it'd be giving up evasion entirely.

Yes It's a racial reincarnation build, and great fun, but not much use at 20+, the grenades quickly stop being on any impact by 19. It's great fun to level with, and I've done 8 lives with it now, I would like to do a version with more rouge levels, but it will have a much lower double shot so who knows.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 5:48am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 1:02am:
3 Bard is much better than Arty, no question.

It's a solid build it just lacks strong self healing like the Ranger 20, in exchange for being a little bit higher DPS

a little bit higher DPS, lol?

also, self healing? Cheesy

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #15 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 5:48am:

Bard gives +10'ish damage, +1 crit threat (not important if you play this build correctly as burst), and 10% Doubleshot. 10% Doubleshot is pretty low given the builds true extra shot chance which I assume you're aware of.

The damage is the only part that matters (from +3 Fatesinger Twist and the +6 from Dashing scoundrel). 4 Dex, 20RP, 3SA dice and infinite SA range from DWS Capstone largely makes up for it in me experience (I've run both now since returning to game).

Ranger gives +20'ish damage on FEs (8-10 of them), and you can use the AP for more of DWS/VKF abilities. Also a ton of dex in Harper if you're not spending it in Bard tree.

Like I said, a little bit more DPS. Unless Bard 3 is bringing some special things to the table I am not aware of, feel free to PM if so.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #16 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 5:48am:

Few people exclusively play R10, and if you do, your healing with be extremely welcomed as you ranged and heal melees occasionally from far away.

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
The bard gets +2 threat +1 multipler on darts and other simple thrown weapons. This applies to grenades, sunflasks, bottled fear, etc... All which benefit from the varous doubleshot bumps.

IP Logged

makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 6:14pm:
Bard gives +10'ish damage, +1 crit threat (not important if you play this build correctly as burst), and 10% Doubleshot. 10% Doubleshot is pretty low given the builds true extra shot chance which I assume you're aware of.

The damage is the only part that matters (from +3 Fatesinger Twist and the +6 from Dashing scoundrel). 4 Dex, 20RP, 3SA dice and infinite SA range from DWS Capstone largely makes up for it in me experience (I've run both now since returning to game).

Ranger gives +20'ish damage on FEs (8-10 of them), and you can use the AP for more of DWS/VKF abilities. Also a ton of dex in Harper if you're not spending it in Bard tree.

Like I said, a little bit more DPS. Unless Bard 3 is bringing some special things to the table I am not aware of, feel free to PM if so.

I'd agree with this mostly, except that the bard 3 isn't just that alone. You also get 11 levels of rogue, which offers 6d6 sneak attack. So you are still down 2d6 sneak attack dice overall (some movement speed). The infinite range for SA probably does come in handy.

On the other hand, your arguments are pushing me to consider other build splits. E.g. alchemist 14 / ranger 6 also seems rather potent (unfortunately the AP is really tight to get everything to make it work).  There's a lot of utility to be gained by this split (healing, cc, buffs, debuffs), while giving up a small amount of trash mob dps and having about equal burst (eyeballing it so might be missing something).

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
makar wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 9:48pm:
I'd agree with this mostly, except that the bard 3 isn't just that alone. You also get 11 levels of rogue, which offers 6d6 sneak attack. So you are still down 2d6 sneak attack dice overall (some movement speed). The infinite range for SA probably does come in handy.

On the other hand, your arguments are pushing me to consider other build splits. E.g. alchemist 14 / ranger 6 also seems rather potent (unfortunately the AP is really tight to get everything to make it work).  There's a lot of utility to be gained by this split (healing, cc, buffs, debuffs), while giving up a small amount of trash mob dps and having about equal burst (eyeballing it so might be missing something).

Yup these are all important considerations to be sure. I know at least one person on this boards you would respect who is running a deep alch split for exactly the reasons you list above. DPS trade off is minor (90% of it is front loaded in VKF/Simple Weapon Expertise/High Dex/Feats/ED (Shiradi or Fury, generally. Tho SD is fun with infinite SA), but the utility you can exchange for a small amount of SA dice is quite large.

My next split I'm going to try is 14 Pally/4 Cleric FvS/2 Rogue. Lose Sniper Shot, but gain a lot of other fun things, and Pally spell casting is now quite strong (14RP/10% Doubleshot/14PRR+MRR/+3-4 Luck Damage/Heals/LoH), and Tier 1-4 of Warpriest are pretty neat including saving 8AP in Harper for KTA by using Divine Might (which buffs Attack and Damage with Wisdom to doubledip on Will saves), Enflame, Vulnerability stacks from any weapon, AoE heal, 10% Doubleshot.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2020 at 10:45pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #20 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Three levels of Bard alone give +2 threat, +1 mult, 11% doubleshot, 30% double shot boost, plus 4 dodge. The dblst boost stacks.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2020 at 11:46pm by Bishop »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #21 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 11:28pm:
Three levels of Bard alone give +2 threat, +1 mult, 11% doubleshot, 30% double shot boost, plus 4 dodge. The dblst boost stacks.

Vistani gives you +1/1 threat and multi so no, it's +1 threat from Bard. I ignored you the first time you got it wrong.

Doubleshot boost is lame, RP is much better so who cares. Dodge you can make up in tempest if you want, or halfling. Ranger also very useful fort bypasses (20%, 45% with the debuff).

You also lose a lot of optionality needing to have an empty offhand for that doubleshot and +6 Damage, it's not all upside
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:05am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #22 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:14am
Print Post  
+30% doubleshot is lame?   Smiley how so? unlike the speed or haste boosts it delivers exactly what it promises not fractions. It's an additional +1 threat from bard, plus the 11% doubleshot pure ranger or others won't get, while still getting all the double shot of ranger. 

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:30am by Bishop »  

IP Logged

makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:35am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 10:27pm:
Yup these are all important considerations to be sure. I know at least one person on this boards you would respect who is running a deep alch split for exactly the reasons you list above. DPS trade off is minor (90% of it is front loaded in VKF/Simple Weapon Expertise/High Dex/Feats/ED (Shiradi or Fury, generally. Tho SD is fun with infinite SA), but the utility you can exchange for a small amount of SA dice is quite large.

My next split I'm going to try is 14 Pally/4 Cleric FvS/2 Rogue. Lose Sniper Shot, but gain a lot of other fun things, and Pally spell casting is now quite strong (14RP/10% Doubleshot/14PRR+MRR/+3-4 Luck Damage/Heals/LoH), and Tier 1-4 of Warpriest are pretty neat including saving 8AP in Harper for KTA by using Divine Might (which buffs Attack and Damage with Wisdom to doubledip on Will saves), Enflame, Vulnerability stacks from any weapon, AoE heal, 10% Doubleshot.

I need them to put lamma up before I'll decide, but "fun" is a big factor for me as well (so long as its still competitive), so I'm actually leaning towards the alch split now.

SD is fun in general right now because so many of the abilities are "broken" in a way that they work for almost any build, though shiradi is still the best imo (fury situationally for certain quests/raids).

I'm a bit confused by your split you list here. I'm not sure the 2 rogue / evasion is worth the trade off of MRR cap (for endgame - also one of the reasons people are avoiding monk based throwers)? It sounds like a fun build, strong consistent damage but it does raises the question of whether or not that's worth the trade off of burst. I've found that in addition to burst being fun, it is extremely necessary nowadays for dealing with doom reapers. The loss of sniper shot here seems like it would hurt?

Anyways, thanks for the productive convo - it has me actually spreadsheeting again in prep for lamma, which is to say that I'm excited to try some new stuff.

IP Logged

makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:14am:
+30% doubleshot is lame?   Smiley how so? unlike the speed or haste boosts it delivers exactly what it promises not fractions. It's an additional +1 threat from bard, plus the 11% doubleshot pure ranger or others won't get, while still getting all the double shot of ranger. 

To figure out whether ranged power or doubleshot matters more, is simply a matter of doing dojo testing. In my experience, there are very few builds where the doubleshot is superior to ranged power for boosting (especially if you are already using one of the throwing double shot boosts). Personally I think 1.5 doubleshot is about equal to 1 ranged power on most of the builds we are talking about (this is still eyeballing / papermath right now, so I might be off by a bit).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint