Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) New World (Read 8628 times)
Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

New World
Jul 15th, 2021 at 1:12pm
Print Post  

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/

Amazon's entry into the MMORPG realm. Launches at the end of August, closed beta starts July 20th. Combat system is said to be skill-based (read: active combat) instead of the standard button mashing. Looks like it tries to support everything that's ever been thought of, like most MMOs coming out nowadays.

It was intriguing enough for me to pre-order (only $40-$50 depending on which preorder). No subscription fee. I'll come back and report more during/after closed beta.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: New World
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Jul 15th, 2021 at 1:12pm:
https://www.newworld.com/en-us/

Amazon's entry into the MMORPG realm. Launches at the end of August, closed beta starts July 20th. Combat system is said to be skill-based (read: active combat) instead of the standard button mashing. Looks like it tries to support everything that's ever been thought of, like most MMOs coming out nowadays.

It was intriguing enough for me to pre-order (only $40-$50 depending on which preorder). No subscription fee. I'll come back and report more during/after closed beta.

This looks cool and might be enough, in concert with the DDO nerfs, to push me into a New World.

I'm interested in hearing your report, Strak.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2021 at 1:41pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I predict the woke will cancel it, because colonialism.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2021 at 9:29am
Print Post  

Every new game makes me wish Wildstar had better questing, builds, and itemization. They had so much so amazingly right in that game. It felt like the first "complete" MMO I'd ever played. Everything was fleshed out. Almost everything worked. All systems had depth and nuance. The environment was expansive, astounding, original, and vibrant. Crafting, and mining was fun. Housing was crazy awesome (haven't seen that anywhere). They addressed many of the creature feature issues of most MMOs. It was a true sandbox, with rewards for things like scouring the environment's limits and playing Mario.

Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect. It was a button masher. While dodging in combat was a real and valuable thing, fighting eventually devolved to cycling between the numbers on your keyboard in the same pattern over and over. Items were nothing more than green and red numbers. There was no character customization in terms of stats, you just picked a race and class and fiddled with their appearance. Group play was almost unheard of unless you were in a guild.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2021 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
So what about New World? How are you feeling about it so far?

Also, would you classify DDO as a "button masher" or skill-based?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2021 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 20th, 2021 at 3:45pm:
So what about New World? How are you feeling about it so far?

Also, would you classify DDO as a "button masher" or skill-based?

Closed beta started today at noon, I'm still at work. I'll try logging in tonight.

Back when I played DDO... over a decade ago... I would qualify the combat as skill-based. Considering, say, melee characters, I didn't just run into combat and start hitting 1-2-3-4-5 1-2-3-4-5 1-2-3-4-5. I'd run in, grab aggro, throw an intim, trip someone, cleave, great cleave, stun, block, swing. Player and mob position mattered significantly - if you turned around, you wouldn't hit. If a player or non-player target moved, it didn't get hit. Every melee character I had carried upwards of a dozen different weapon sets to handle the large variety of mobs one would encounter in any given dungeon - blunt, slicing, or piercing, various greater banes, specialty weapons like vorpal, banisher, paralyzer, etc.  Even how you attacked mattered - twitching after the second or third (I forget which) swing to reset your attacks resulted in higher DPS.

Every game I've played since has had exactly the same combat. Age of Conan, Neverwinter, DCUO, SWTOR, Wildstar are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. It didn't even matter what class you were. Engage mobs, repeatedly cycle through the same hotkeys to build up and expel a power bar. Every. Single. Encounter. Some allowed movement and position to matter - Wildstar in particular, though it was all explicitly telegraphed by zones on the ground. Imagine a red area on the ground warning you that Velah is about to spew fire. Fucking dumb.

I'm not looking for Street Fighter levels of combat, but I definitely don't want Dragon Warrior combat.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2021 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Jul 20th, 2021 at 9:04pm:
Closed beta started today at noon, I'm still at work. I'll try logging in tonight.

Back when I played DDO... over a decade ago... I would qualify the combat as skill-based. Considering, say, melee characters, I didn't just run into combat and start hitting 1-2-3-4-5 1-2-3-4-5 1-2-3-4-5. I'd run in, grab aggro, throw an intim, trip someone, cleave, great cleave, stun, block, swing. Player and mob position mattered significantly - if you turned around, you wouldn't hit. If a player or non-player target moved, it didn't get hit. Every melee character I had carried upwards of a dozen different weapon sets to handle the large variety of mobs one would encounter in any given dungeon - blunt, slicing, or piercing, various greater banes, specialty weapons like vorpal, banisher, paralyzer, etc.  Even how you attacked mattered - twitching after the second or third (I forget which) swing to reset your attacks resulted in higher DPS.

Every game I've played since has had exactly the same combat. Age of Conan, Neverwinter, DCUO, SWTOR, Wildstar are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. It didn't even matter what class you were. Engage mobs, repeatedly cycle through the same hotkeys to build up and expel a power bar. Every. Single. Encounter. Some allowed movement and position to matter - Wildstar in particular, though it was all explicitly telegraphed by zones on the ground. Imagine a red area on the ground warning you that Velah is about to spew fire. Fucking dumb.

I'm not looking for Street Fighter levels of combat, but I definitely don't want Dragon Warrior combat.

I can't stand games that lean very heavily into the "skills-based" concept. Even when I was 16 I couldn't play street fighter competitively and that was a longass time ago. I have tried out a couple of "action" RPGs that were just fucking unplayable, not because it was "too hard" but simply because even basic interaction with the game relied on that sort of thing I don't enjoy it even a little. Any game who's tutorial requires me to demonstrate an active-blocking mechanic is probably a game I won't play.

I like DDO a lot because its right on my level, even now after years of gameplay. Sure it has active blocking but not all builds require it. You can survive as a button masher if you aren't feeling it today. Its got the tiwtch mechanics but its not so far inside its own ass about being an "Action RPG" that it forgets to just be fun and playable.

So yeah, I'll check back and maybe give this game a whirl.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 1:23am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 20th, 2021 at 10:20pm:
I like DDO a lot because its right on my level, even now after years of gameplay. Sure it has active blocking but not all builds require it. You can survive as a button masher if you aren't feeling it today. Its got the tiwtch mechanics but its not so far inside its own ass about being an "Action RPG" that it forgets to just be fun and playable.

Spot on. DDO - at least as I knew it back in the day - hit the sweet spot. Phone it in if you want, or be a rock star and impress all the ladies.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 1:23am:
Spot on. DDO - at least as I knew it back in the day - hit the sweet spot. Phone it in if you want, or be a rock star and impress all the ladies.

So far as I can tell you the combat hasn't really changed with DDO. The only real difference per your example is weapon sets. In general these days  the bonuses you get from having a character built around a specific kind of weapon outweigh the DR characteristics of a different weapon. EG if my character is entirely built around swords, I will do more damage to a skeleton by using a sword than I would switching to a blunt weapon. Further compounding the issue is the massive power creep of named loot. The game is definitely weaker for these changes.

I too fondly remember filling my entire numpad with situational weapon swapouts "Ok i need my ooze-beater, my undead-beaters, my general-purpose DR breaker". And then of course when a long afternoon of adventuring would break a weapon and you had to have a backup/spare. Ah the memories.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 3:17pm:
So far as I can tell you the combat hasn't really changed with DDO.

From what I've seen, there have been a lot of changes, but I'm not sure how much they impact that feeling of "active combat." I suspect not too much, but I don't know.

For example, I think there was some change (maybe called grazing hits?) that bypassed AC or something like that, the changes to THF/TWF/S&B, fortification bypass. It sounds like there have been a lot of other changes, such as changes that now require everyone to be meat sacks with tons of HP, the introduction of self-healing (cocoons? I only know what I read here and there).

------------------------

New World had sever queues last night, so I never logged in. Maybe tonight, though probably not - need to catch up on sleep.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 4:20pm:
From what I've seen, there have been a lot of changes, but I'm not sure how much they impact that feeling of "active combat." I suspect not too much, but I don't know.

For example, I think there was some change (maybe called grazing hits?) that bypassed AC or something like that, the changes to THF/TWF/S&B, fortification bypass. It sounds like there have been a lot of other changes, such as changes that now require everyone to be meat sacks with tons of HP, the introduction of self-healing (cocoons? I only know what I read here and there).

------------------------

New World had sever queues last night, so I never logged in. Maybe tonight, though probably not - need to catch up on sleep.

Still the best for the genre.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 6:29pm
Print Post  

Most of what you're talking about are "under the hood" changes, didn't have a lot of impact on the active parts of combat. The biggest problem was power creep and out of control DCs. Basically if you didn't build your character entirely around trip(taking every available point from feats, skills, items, etc) you didn't stand a chance of tripping anything. And lots of mobs that are just straight up immune.

HP bags? yeah? thats the fucking retarded "reaper" difficulty where even trash mobs can randomly hit you for 5,000 damage. I just don't bother with it. Its dumb.

------------------------

Well keep us posted.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 6:29pm:
Most of what you're talking about are "under the hood" changes, didn't have a lot of impact on the active parts of combat. The biggest problem was power creep and out of control DCs. Basically if you didn't build your character entirely around trip(taking every available point from feats, skills, items, etc) you didn't stand a chance of tripping anything. And lots of mobs that are just straight up immune.

I'd argue that's definitely impacting active combat. If you can't trip anyone without spending feats and full skill points and wearing six items that boost trip, well, then that's one tool that has been taken out of your active combat bag.

It doesn't bring things down to button-mashing, but it's certainly a step in the wrong direction, IMO. And it appears that there have been several such steps. Certainly, there were enough of them back in 2010 to make me stop playing.

Naturally, I recognize that having not played for 11 years, I simply do not know what I am talking about.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 6:42pm:
I'd argue that's definitely impacting active combat. If you can't trip anyone without spending feats and full skill points and wearing six items that boost trip, well, then that's one tool that has been taken out of your active combat bag.

It doesn't bring things down to button-mashing, but it's certainly a step in the wrong direction, IMO. And it appears that there have been several such steps. Certainly, there were enough of them back in 2010 to make me stop playing.

Naturally, I recognize that having not played for 11 years, I simply do not know what I am talking about.

Balancing the rewards for smart building isn't easy for any game. Combat is still pretty good in DDO compared to alternatives.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 6:48pm:
Balancing the rewards for smart building isn't easy for any game. Combat is still pretty good in DDO compared to alternatives.

Agreed.

A big problem is SSG and their weird nerd-bonners for all things RNG. Basically, they don't WANT to let you have a sure thing trip skill, they'd rather make 5 different CC effects with wildly variable chances of success.

But again ithe game is at a better balance than others. This is largely due to no PvP.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 2:06am
Print Post  
What I've found particularly lacking in other games is loot appeal. I looked forward to opening every chest, picking up every last quest reward. DDO has - or at least had - the coolest gear. So many crazy combinations of things, and the named loot always seemed to have a backstory or hilarious description (think chattering ring). And there were just cool-ass effects like vorpal or paralyzer or banisher.

I bet a lot of you don't remember when paralyzers ruled the world. This was back when they were still super rare. They would hold a target on hit for 3 or so seconds, with no immunity afterwards. I'd gather up all the trolls in the VoN 3 entrance, shield block and repeatedly cleave as the rest of the group ripped through them. I was a rogue's best friend.

At one point I managed to swindle Goolan out of a paralyzer. I think it was a battle axe. My favorite thing to do with it was pug up and hear the gasps over voice chat as I used it on slimes.

It was during this same time that vorpal was on crit as opposed to confirmed 20. Shit was crazy back then.

I digress. Every other game, gear is just red and green numbers.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2021 at 2:07am by Strake »  

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 2:09am
Print Post  

I remember pulling a repeating crossbow banisher and leveling up a character to 16 just so I could play the one or two dungeons where it was amazing. Before all those fancy newfangled respec capabilities.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I've been having the exact same problem. I tried out Archeage - you basically had 1 set of "the best" crafted loot for each class, and then all you did was trying to craft better and better versions of it. There really wasn't chest loot so far as I can tell and no named items. I leveled all the way to the mid-50s with a lvl10 sword because nothing better came across my path.

WoW was even worse about. it wasn't just class-specific weapons, it was play-style specific. If you're a paladin, this is your 1 endgame weapon, if you didn't want to play with that weapon, you shouldn't have been a paladin.

DDO not only offers a patently insane variety of build choices, but basically any character can use any weapon. Maybe not WELL and maybe not as a pure class, but if you want to play a centered monk with a greataxe, its possible.

AND the loot variety is endlessly entertaining AND every item really does feel interesting. Other people will hate me for it but I really do enjoy the gear-tetris aspect of the game.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
New World looks fantastic. It's designed top down for pvp, so some may not like it. However, there is tons of pve content. I have not played, but watching a few streamers sold me on it despite me not liking the trailers at all.

The pvp is open world if you choose to toggle it on. It's movement based and rewards the higher skilled players being able to manually dodge. There is hard scaling right now where a lower level player would deal damage proportionally to a higher level opponent. Say a level 15 deals 600 damage and the level 41 would deal 150 base to the level 15. It still gives the higher level player the advantages of more skills leveled, unlocked, and better gear abilities, but if you're not good, or the lower level player is supremely skilled then you can lose.

The PVP is large scale up to 50v50. You can take over forts of the other player factions. There are cannons, repeating guns, and a few other manned artillery.

PVE combat is in the same vein where dodging attacks manually, or blocking them is the correct thing to do. Legendary weapons drop in the highest level dungeons.

Most of the streamers are trash at combat but the game is new and in beta, likely some streamers will emerge as top players after release.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 11:21am
Print Post  

I failed to log in during closed beta. Oops.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 5:48pm
Print Post  

Release date pushed out to September 28th. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 28th, 2021 at 3:37pm:
It's designed top down for pvp

Well fuck me then.

The problem is when you design a game "top down for pvp" all the decisions are based on "whats good for pvp" and all of the nerfs are based on "what's good for pvp". So even if you turn pvp off and never once engage in it, your gameplay experience will stull be fucked over about once every 3 months by some nerf aimed at balancing pvp.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #22 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 5th, 2021 at 5:22pm:
Well fuck me then.

The problem is when you design a game "top down for pvp" all the decisions are based on "whats good for pvp" and all of the nerfs are based on "what's good for pvp". So even if you turn pvp off and never once engage in it, your gameplay experience will stull be fucked over about once every 3 months by some nerf aimed at balancing pvp.

Unclear as of yet how much weight that "designed top down for pvp" statement carries. It is true, it was designed for full open-world pvp... but that was almost two years ago, before they received feedback that pushed against such a strong pvp focus.

A guy I know who at least tries out seemingly every MMO is very anti-pvp. He was very put off by that way back when he was invited to an alpha or something like that. He played the closed beta extensively and was very happy with how well toned-down the pvp focus was. Of course, he wasn't anywhere approaching end game, so...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Aug 5th, 2021 at 5:47pm:
Unclear as of yet how much weight that "designed top down for pvp" statement carries. It is true, it was designed for full open-world pvp... but that was almost two years ago, before they received feedback that pushed against such a strong pvp focus.

A guy I know who at least tries out seemingly every MMO is very anti-pvp. He was very put off by that way back when he was invited to an alpha or something like that. He played the closed beta extensively and was very happy with how well toned-down the pvp focus was. Of course, he wasn't anywhere approaching end game, so...

There's the concern of the end-game and then how the meta will shift.

I played WoW starting about 6 months after launch all the way to a few weeks before Burning Crusade. At launch despite a "top down" design, WoW was not centered around PvP and you could pretty well opt out of PvP without much trouble.

Then came battlegrounds and the gradual increase in popularity. At that point every patch was a nerf of some sort. You could always tell what classes the devs were playing, because those classes would get a huge buff(particularly to pvp).

I literally never once PvP'd in the entire time I played World of Warcraft, yet PvP still managed to shit all over my gameplay experience on a daily basis.

So whether or not I can play the game at launch - if pvp becomes the focus the game will change over time and that will shit all over my gameplay once again.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #24 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 6:55am
Print Post  
My experience has been that pvp and meaningful class/build choices are mutually exclusive. 

If it is a pvp game then builds generally devolve into equality and become something like this example:  at level 1 I have a free attack that deals 1d8 damage per level and a super attack that deals 1d8 +3 per level.   If I am a melee it is called power attack and cleaving burst.   If I am a wizard it is called force bolt and arcane blast.   If I am a ranged it is called sniper shot and critical shot.   (I know the name choices suck).   

Basically every class is functionally identical just flavor/naming changes.   You can’t do party focused game design where builds have strengths and weaknesses.  In that environment, pvp is a non starter because the contest is entirely won or lost in the build choices.   Whose strength best exploits others weaknesses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint