Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) New World (Read 8624 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: New World
Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 7th, 2021 at 6:55am:
My experience has been that pvp and meaningful class/build choices are mutually exclusive. 

Not so! There's also the option where class/build choices are meaningful but one specific build completely dominates all others! That's the way PvP works in Archeage. Your choices were "play the clear best PvP build or die".

Asheras wrote on Aug 7th, 2021 at 6:55am:
Basically every class is functionally identical just flavor/naming changes.   You can’t do party focused game design where builds have strengths and weaknesses.  In that environment, pvp is a non starter because the contest is entirely won or lost in the build choices.   Whose strength best exploits others weaknesses.

This is basically it. Either you balance around PvP or PvP becomes a non-starter. WoW was constantly having to nerf things to "balance" PvP, though it spent most of its time "balanced" around the dev's pet classes.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Son and I got a beta key from Danielthedemon streamer and we played the beta till like lvl 20 for me, 25 for my boy he loved the game, we only played the pve of it and I quite enjoyed it too.

There no button mashing required and if you dont block or dodge and just button mash the mobs will stagger you but it far from being mortal combat ninja finger skill levels etc.

The pvp is optional in that when in town you can toggle it on or off which is great IMO cause it allows to turn it off when you want some quite peaceful pve gathering etc but you can turn it on when you want some w/e goes open world pvp. We didn't try the other pvp modes or dungeons so dunno about them.

There was lots of exploits like for example the town board quest if playing with someone you could get items needed for the turn in XX item quest, get the turn prompt on the quest tracker, trade items to your friend hand in the quest then get items back from your friend essentially keeping all the itmes so you can get the same quest again and repeat. 

Quest on the town board are on a  30min timer to refresh and there some variety but there was also a trick that allowed you to get the same quest back mostly. after doing trade to friend hand in quest you log out to main menu friend stays in game and when you body which is laying down on the ground in his game goes away log back in...the quest you just handed in should be back so pick it up and repeat.

One thing about pvp which seems quite fun is how getting down on the ground makes you stealthy so you can hide in bushes and others wont see you till practically stepping on you unless they saw you hide there beforehand ofc which can lead to some really neat ambushing opportunities.

Overall I think I will pre order it for my boy and I even if we don't play it for years I think we would play long enough to get our monies worth. the game has good bones right now but I can see them needing to add to the game world for sure.

I think the month delay is to fix up these kinds of things tbh, also it has been shown that there are other weapon types via some data mining.

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2021 at 2:06pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

Latetotheparty
Dragon Raider

Reply #27 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Free beta testing right now through steam

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Sep 27th, 2021 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
And what did you salty bastards conclude?

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #29 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2021 at 8:12pm by Dragonborn »  

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Bobbicus wrote on Sep 27th, 2021 at 12:50pm:
And what did you salty bastards conclude?

Its PVP-centric and will be crap no matter how "optional" the PVP is(I never one time PVPd in WoW and yet PVP still shit all over my gameplay-experience with every other patch).

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #31 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 12:15am
Print Post  

Wow. So very pretty. So so so very pretty.

Some new ways of doing old things. I love the way you can level up each weapon, and how each character is essentially classless/all classes. Not sure how that will pan out in the end - I'd imagine you have to specialize - but it sure is interesting now.

Spent way too much time exploring around, mining, cutting down trees, etc.

Their version of a minimap/glitter trail works very well.

First blush is that I am definitely impressed. But it's really hard to properly judge a book by its first few pages.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #32 - Sep 30th, 2021 at 1:08pm
Print Post  

Combat: definitely active combat, but nicely balanced. When facing against at-level mobs, I can just happy hack away and ability spam. When facing mobs over my level, I can use dodge, block, stuns, etc to significantly mitigate incoming damage. Simply moving out of the attack area also works.

I really like how they've implemented the "classless" system. Proficiency with every weapon - from swords to magical staves to muskets - can be leveled up, giving you new attacks and abilities with that weapon. There are often multiple branches one can go down, like DDO eventually did with action points.

Crafting is pretty cool, they have batch crafting built-in, which makes leveling up crafting pretty quick. You can craft from your bank ("storage shed", lol) so you don't need to carry components around. So far, at least, it is not complicated, and easy to figure out.

There's definitely plenty of "fetch me 10 rabbit hides" quests, but overall, the game feels fairly sandbox-y. I can go where I want and do what I want when I want. Though I'm sure I'd get stomped on if I went someplace too high-level. I've done a lot of exploring, getting to the tops of mountains and whatnot. Very pretty.

A small list of negatives, so far:

• The movement isn't bad, but it doesn't have the fidelity I'd prefer, particularly when jumping or climbing over obstacles.
  • Faction. There are three factions, which is fine and all, but you can only join companies (guilds) within your faction. So, you have to coordinate with friends and agree upon a faction if you want to be in a company with them. IMO, anything that discourages grouping (in any form) in an MMO is a very very very bad idea. I'd be surprised if this doesn't change in the future.
  • I wish the inventory were more compact and independent from movement. Currently, if you open your inventory, it basically takes over the screen and you can't keep doing whatever you were doing. It also uses huge icons that result in you needing to scroll through the inventory.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #33 - Sep 30th, 2021 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Sep 30th, 2021 at 1:08pm:
IMO, anything that discourages grouping (in any form) in an MMO is a very very very bad idea.

Yes one more way Blizzard tried to ruin the format. Imagine how fast WoW would die if there weren't enough players on one side to find a group.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #34 - Sep 30th, 2021 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 30th, 2021 at 2:07pm:
Yes one more way Blizzard tried to ruin the format. Imagine how fast WoW would die if there weren't enough players on one side to find a group.

I've really only played one MMO with factions (Wildstar), and it (having factions) was an abject failure if you ask me. Everyone was on one side! I made a character on the other faction and could not believe how desolate their part of the world was.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2021 at 2:48pm by Strake »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Sep 30th, 2021 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Sep 30th, 2021 at 2:48pm:
I've really only played one MMO with factions (Wildstar), and it (having factions) was an abject failure if you ask me. Everyone was on one side! I made a character on the other faction and could not believe how desolate their part of the world was.

Same thing has happened on a couple of WoW server. For some reason all the idiots who want to play as the bad guys all went to 1 server and it ended up being like 90% the loosers of the Warcraft-verse. It sucked.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #36 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 1:55am
Print Post  

Okay, never seen this before: public voice chat. I walked by two guys having a conversation and thought it was the weirdest NPC convo I'd ever heard... then I realized they weren't NPCs.

What's really crazy is that it sounds like it fits - like it came from an NPC. Except for the word selection, of course.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #37 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Oct 1st, 2021 at 1:55am:
Okay, never seen this before: public voice chat. I walked by two guys having a conversation and thought it was the weirdest NPC convo I'd ever heard... then I realized they weren't NPCs.

What's really crazy is that it sounds like it fits - like it came from an NPC. Except for the word selection, of course.

Huh.  Hopefully they have some solid text filters. 

In the way back machine, we had my ex's godson playing ddo with us.  He was...  5 or 6 at the time?  Somewhere in that range. 

When doing runs with the guild, he was banned from wearing a headset.   Grin

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #38 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Oct 1st, 2021 at 1:55am:
Okay, never seen this before: public voice chat.

I have always wondered what that would be like.

Unrelated but what would it take to pipe the music from "epic sax guy" through my mic?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #39 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 6:30am
Print Post  
I had a look and it is pretty but I felt like it was about the same as every other Not-DDO I've ever played. Apart from the prettiness of wandering the world I don't see anything that makes me want to go back.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #40 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 10:22am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Oct 4th, 2021 at 6:30am:
I had a look and it is pretty but I felt like it was about the same as every other Not-DDO I've ever played. Apart from the prettiness of wandering the world I don't see anything that makes me want to go back.

Other things that set it apart:

• Active combat - timing, position, dodging, and blocking play a big role in combat
  • "Classless" system that is actually implemented very well, and allows for infinite build specialization (basically, they've recaptured one of the things that DDO did oh-so-well: insanely cool builds)
  • Interesting and fun implementation of weapon specializations, with significant specialization capabilities
  • Itemization that makes weapons/armor/tools interesting, not just red/green numbers. Think about how cool things like vorpal were in DDO.
  • Very robust crafting system
  • Vendor-less economy. Seriously, there are no vendors in the game. It's weird, and awesome.
  • Due in part to the above, a very healthy auction house-based economy

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #41 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Yes to be fair I've not played a lot of MMOs and the ones I have played have, by and large, been alright. I wasn't so much saying it was not good, more it's not quite extragood enough to make me invest in that world.

Buuuut I will have another look based on the above because reading that it's clear I only scratched the surface. Got put off by the quest mechanics and speed so didn't have inclination to dig deeper.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #42 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 1:32pm
Print Post  

I've been suffering from an issue with focus in this game, and I am not alone. I start out with the decision to work my way over to an area and complete some quest objectives there. Along the way, I start chopping the occasional tree, mining the occasional boulder. Then I see some rare harvest-able goods on my radar and run off that way. Which puts me near a mountain that I just have to climb up to the top of. Where I find some rare metals to mine.

Focus, Strake! So I jump off the mountain and start heading back to my original destination, which is now somehow further away than I started. I chop a tree here, mine a boulder there, and oh hey is that a hot fishing spot on my radar? I break out a beer and start fishing. Oh, and hey, that quest turn-in is only a few hundred meters over there, why not get that while I'm here?

I complete the turn-in and realize that it'd be quicker to run to the nearby town and teleport to a town closer to my destination, so I do that. Chop a couple trees, harvest a few plants, mine some boulders. I get to the town, teleport to the other town, then start heading to my destination. Chop some trees, and oh my is that some silver ore over there? And more over here? Ohhhh!

Uh-oh, I'm nearing encumbrance. Quick, run back into town and unload my goods into the storage shed. Well, while I'm here, I should bang out some crafting to free up some storage space and whatnot. Eight crafting tables later, have to head back to the storage shed to drop off crafted things. Now run to the auction house and sell all the cool stuff I've either collected or crafted.

So here we are, two and a half hours later. I'm almost out of playing time and I never even reached my intended destination... Grin

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #43 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
So you have Attention Deficit--ooh, shiny! ?

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #44 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 7:05pm
Print Post  

In this game, I sure do.

I think it may be indicative of assigning good value to things across the game. It seems that often in games one avenue (typically questing/adventuring) poses way more reward than other activities (crafting, harvesting, exploring, pvping, etc). The benefit seems to be more evenly spread out across activities in this game.

Or, maybe that's just a temporary thing.

I will say, this is not the first game that led me to distraction like that. Wildstar was another. Crafting, exploring, and housing all had significant utility.

Haven't checked out housing in New World yet. I can't imagine they'll ever live up to the amazeballs that was Wildstar housing, but who knows...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I recall people saying that Asheron's Call was like that. It makes for a really enduring game if they can keep it up.

That was actually what finally made me quit WoW: nothing to do. You couldn't *really* craft in the game(since high-level crafting required BtC raid materials); and you couldn't raid unless you played 40 hours a week. So I had hit cap(lvl 60 at the time), couldn't advance my crafting any further, and had explored the whole world. All that was left for me was PvP; and since PvP is fucking retarded, that left me with nothing to do.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #46 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 2:07am
Print Post  

Well, played my first group dungeon tonight. Seemed cool, but every fight was so laggy that half the time you couldn't hit anything. I hear there's something going on specifically related to that quest and that the devs are trying to address it.

Amusingly, this group quest is also required to advance the story quest Grin

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #47 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Oct 4th, 2021 at 1:32pm:
I've been suffering from an issue with focus in this game, and I am not alone. I start out with the decision to work my way over to an area and complete some quest objectives there. Along the way, I start chopping the occasional tree, mining the occasional boulder. Then I see some rare harvest-able goods on my radar and run off that way. Which puts me near a mountain that I just have to climb up to the top of. Where I find some rare metals to mine.

Focus, Strake! So I jump off the mountain and start heading back to my original destination, which is now somehow further away than I started. I chop a tree here, mine a boulder there, and oh hey is that a hot fishing spot on my radar? I break out a beer and start fishing. Oh, and hey, that quest turn-in is only a few hundred meters over there, why not get that while I'm here?

I complete the turn-in and realize that it'd be quicker to run to the nearby town and teleport to a town closer to my destination, so I do that. Chop a couple trees, harvest a few plants, mine some boulders. I get to the town, teleport to the other town, then start heading to my destination. Chop some trees, and oh my is that some silver ore over there? And more over here? Ohhhh!

Uh-oh, I'm nearing encumbrance. Quick, run back into town and unload my goods into the storage shed. Well, while I'm here, I should bang out some crafting to free up some storage space and whatnot. Eight crafting tables later, have to head back to the storage shed to drop off crafted things. Now run to the auction house and sell all the cool stuff I've either collected or crafted.

So here we are, two and a half hours later. I'm almost out of playing time and I never even reached my intended destination... Grin

Sounds a lot like Breath of the Wild.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #48 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Oct 5th, 2021 at 2:07am:
Amusingly, this group quest is also required to advance the story quest Grin

damnit, I was hoping to avoid that instance for a while as I've built my healer ice/mage completely wrong for party content whilst leveling & it won't really come together until weapon levels 14/15

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #49 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 5th, 2021 at 1:18pm:
damnit, I was hoping to avoid that instance for a while as I've built my healer ice/mage completely wrong for party content whilst leveling & it won't really come together until weapon levels 14/15

Well, you know how MMO parties go. Tank, healer, DPSers. Anyone can fill that third category.

Alternatively, do like I did: find someone way over-leveled to carry your group. Even with that, we wiped 2x on the boss and had to drop one member to pick up a tank... though, the need for a tank was just to keep the boss in one spot so we could actually hit him (lag/de-synch issue).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint