Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) U22 Swashbuckler Dev post by Varg (Read 49428 times)
Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: U22 Swashbuckler Dev post by Varg
Reply #75 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
qweeve wrote on Apr 26th, 2014 at 4:33am:
Shouldn't the tier 5 enhancement read "feature weakness" instead of "exploit weakness"?

Lol. It's a shame if they change it though. At least, it'll be a shame if they change it before someone gets banned on the mother ship for talking about exploits.

Edit: I should maybe read the whole thread before posting replies.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2014 at 6:27pm by Revaulting »  

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #76 - May 1st, 2014 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Wow Single Weapon Fighting feats are fucking garbage.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/441556-Swashbuckler-Update-amp-Single-...

Single Weapon Fighting
While Single-Weapon Fighting, your weapon die gains an additional +2 sides.

Single Weapon Fighting: Requires fighting with a single one-handed melee weapon, and wielding only an orb, runearm, or nothing in your offhand.

For instance, a 1d8 weapon instead deals 1d10 damage. This only functions for weapons with a single base weapon die (Example: This wouldn't function for weapons that do 2d4 base damage.)

Feat Requirement: 2 ranks of Balance

Improved Single Weapon Fighting
Your bonus for Single Weapon Fighting increases to +4 sides.

For instance, a 1d8 weapon instead deals 1d12 damage. This only functions for weapons with a single base weapon die (aka: This wouldn't function for weapons that do 2d4 base damage.)

Feat Requirement: 4 ranks of Balance, Base Attack Bonus +6

Greater Single Weapon Fighting
Your bonus for Improved Single Weapon Fighting increases to +6 sides.

For instance, a 1d8 weapon instead deals 1d14 damage. This only functions for weapons with a single base weapon die (aka: This wouldn't function for weapons that do 2d4 base damage.)

Feat Requirement: 7 ranks of Balance, Base Attack Bonus +11

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #77 - May 1st, 2014 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 12:31pm:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/441556-Swashbuckler-Update-amp-Single-...

Single Weapon Fighting

Single Weapon Fighting: Requires fighting with a single one-handed melee weapon, and wielding only an orb, runearm, or nothing in your offhand.

For instance, a 1d8 weapon instead deals 1d10 damage. This only functions for weapons with a single base weapon die (Example: This wouldn't function for weapons that do 2d4 base damage.)

For instance, a 1d8 weapon instead deals 1d12 damage. This only functions for weapons with a single base weapon die (aka: This wouldn't function for weapons that do 2d4 base damage.)

For instance, a 1d8 weapon instead deals 1d14 damage. This only functions for weapons with a single base weapon die (aka: This wouldn't function for weapons that do 2d4 base damage.)

lol

IP Logged

NotKel
Korthos Resident

Reply #78 - May 1st, 2014 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
This whole pre has too much buckle and not enough swash.  They should scrap it and fix the two existing bard pre's.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2014 at 12:57pm by NotKel »  

IP Logged

Vic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #79 - May 1st, 2014 at 1:58pm
Print Post  

Single Weapon Fighting

Holy fuck. That thing is not even bad. Its plain shitty.

Srsly... I would not take it on a bard swashbuckler. Well, amybe the first tier. But I dont have feats for the entire line and its shitty enough that I am not even sad about not having them.

IP Logged

jaggedmonk
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - May 1st, 2014 at 2:21pm
Print Post  

Oh well. 
If thats their starting point, I doubt its gonna get much better in the end.  Didn't take them long to kill single idea. 
At least Swashbuckler still has some things I'd pull onto various bard builds.
If nothing else 3% dodge for all bards so long as it stacks with other dodge enhancements.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #81 - May 1st, 2014 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
NotKel wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 12:57pm:
This whole pre has too much buckle and not enough swash.

Strangely, as far as I can tell, bucklers are not allowed.  Grin

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - May 1st, 2014 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Apr 26th, 2014 at 10:01am:
OK, WTF is this attack speed you speak of? As I understood it, it was based upon the animation sequence. most 1 handed weapons have the same speed, due to animations being the same.

Most weapons have the same attack speed, but attack speed boost, weapons/abilities that offer doublestrike, some weapons that actually do have a higher attack speed, etc - all make a big difference.

And tactical/melee abilities that have an animation that takes longer than your regular attacks make those tactical/melee abilities essentially worthless.  For example, a special attack that gives +4W and +1 crit threat range that you can do every 3 seconds sounds good, right?  But if that special attack animation takes 50% longer than a regular attack, then you'll end up doing less DPS with that attack than if you just never put it on your hotbar in the first place.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #83 - May 1st, 2014 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
For example we can't have swashbucklers swashbuckling using a Swashbuckler:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Swashbuckler

It would be too meta.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - May 1st, 2014 at 3:51pm
Print Post  

I like them.

Those feats will help to make sure that no one accidentally thinks that single weapon fighting is good.  I was worried that they might make them less shitty and thereby trick people into taking the feat chain instead of TWF or THF.

One way that they could be useful is if there is an exploit that allows you to get that benefit while also getting the benefit from TWF or THF.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen, though.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #85 - May 1st, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
What I don't get is why they went the "extra dice sides" route instead of a more powerful and, I would argue, more thematically correct doublestrike bonus.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #86 - May 1st, 2014 at 4:00pm
Print Post  

Single Weapon Fighting

Single weapon feats that only allow an Orb, runearm, or nothing?  That's fucking lame.  And all they do is give you some meager die increases?  Not even a full 1[W]??? or .5[W]?  This couldn't be worse.  Honestly.  You can't even use it with a shield of any sort.  Who wants this?  Fucking crap.  From what I see, they don't even apply to the Swashbuckler who will be wielding a buckler.  Ugh.  Turbine crapping the bed again.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #87 - May 1st, 2014 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 3:53pm:
What I don't get is why they went the "extra dice sides" route instead of a more powerful and, I would argue, more thematically correct doublestrike bonus.

Didn't see this when I posted, but I agree.  Current options for increasing damage:

1)  X[W] increases.
2) +X Damage modifier.
3) +to Doublestrike
4) Crit Range Increase
5) Crit Modifier Increase
6) X% Damage modifier

And now they introduce something entirely new?  WTF?  Why did they need ANOTHER way to affect damage?  It's similar to die stepping, but not exactly.  In reality, it's basically an average of +1/+2/+3 damage for the three tiers.  Why not just do to that and let everyone see exactly how crappy it is.  I guess when combined with X[W] boosts from other sources it can be magnified, but it's never going to be as good as 2WF or 2HF.  It's shit. 

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #88 - May 1st, 2014 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 3:53pm:

Doublestrike is a straight up equivalent to attack speed for one weapon, so that would have been a great option for single weapon fighting.  It's exactly what the weapon style would have needed to be viable.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #89 - May 1st, 2014 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Someone post that shit. I got permabanned again.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #90 - May 1st, 2014 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Oh, I can see where you made a mistake here. See, just because he took shit on your face after you finished "servicing" his asshole with your tongue this morning doesn't mean he is feeling down..... he probably left that dump on your mug as a tip.

Isn't that a "Rusty Venture?"

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Daze
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama! I do ...
I really do.

Reply #91 - May 1st, 2014 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
This whole tree is complete crap. I would like to see Bards as more than just a flavor choice. That whole side of the alignment barrier needs to be comparable, option wise, to the other.

Due to alignment restrictions this tree, or a mixture of classes and levels including this tree, is supposed to replace or enhance what exactly?

Is it enough to compensate for not taking monk/pally levels? No

Does it even contribute to a mixture of levels and enhancements that make it worthwhile to skip monk and pally?  Marginally

What exactly does a pure Bard gain in this tree that they wouldn't get far more of from the other side of the lawful/chaotic divide? Less of everything ... only thing they get is to be a Bard and the subsequent irrelevance that entails.

Thrower builds have to contend with Shuriken builds and there is just no comparison. So let's compare shuriken builds.

For the price of 2 feats or a race and a feat you can keep up with a monk until you hit level 4 and they have access to a ninja spy core ability that doubles their likelyhood of throwing multiple shuriken ... and that only gets worse as you go up in levels considering at level 6 a monk would just get a 10k stars for better than 50% doubleshot pushb utton. Seeing as the rate of fire is where the DPS is at with shuri builds ... How exactly does the doubleshot and extra damage in this tree even come close? and that's if we stop at level 6 ...

That isn't even considering the DPS loss of having your offhand choices even more limited ....
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2014 at 5:50pm by Daze »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #92 - May 1st, 2014 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Now that the tree has cha for damage, if the single weapon feat can work with throwing weapons that does open up some interesting possibilities.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #93 - May 1st, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Are you fucking shitting me?   Im supposed to give any number of shits about  the equivalent of +1 damage for a feat?

Also way to back track turbine...you stated a goal back during the enhancement pass to remove skill/feat requirements....but nope gotta take balance for +1 damage now.

No thanks,.

IP Logged

mattyboy
Ex Member

Reply #94 - May 1st, 2014 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 5:18pm:
Isn't that a "Rusty Venture?"

I did not know that, fascinating...... there really is a name for everything isn't there?  Grin

Oh oh! someone (not me) could make a new non-swashcbuckler toon,  "Rusty Venture the former Swashbuckler!"  see? he is Rusty because he doesn't Swash his buckle? 

IP Logged

mattyboy
Ex Member

Reply #95 - May 1st, 2014 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Daze wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 5:44pm:
This whole tree is complete crap. I would like to see Bards as more than just a flavor choice. That whole side of the alignment barrier needs to be comparable, option wise, to the other.

Due to alignment restrictions this tree, or a mixture of classes and levels including this tree, is supposed to replace or enhance what exactly?

Is it enough to compensate for not taking monk/pally levels? No

Does it even contribute to a mixture of levels and enhancements that make it worthwhile to skip monk and pally?  Marginally

What exactly does a pure Bard gain in this tree that they wouldn't get far more of from the other side of the lawful/chaotic divide? Less of everything ... only thing they get is to be a Bard and the subsequent irrelevance that entails.

Thrower builds have to contend with Shuriken builds and there is just no comparison. So let's compare shuriken builds.

For the price of 2 feats or a race and a feat you can keep up with a monk until you hit level 4 and they have access to a ninja spy core ability that doubles their likelyhood of throwing multiple shuriken ... and that only gets worse as you go up in levels considering at level 6 a monk would just get a 10k stars for better than 50% doubleshot pushb utton. Seeing as the rate of fire is where the DPS is at with shuri builds ... How exactly does the doubleshot and extra damage in this tree even come close? and that's if we stop at level 6 ...

That isn't even considering the DPS loss of having your offhand choices even more limited ....

After having played a shuriken toon, I parked or deleted every other thrower I had, just the sheer volume of fire makes it feel broken when you play any other thrower without the expertise, ninja II, 10k, dex, etc....
I would like it if they made the other throwers viable, but the Shuriken builds are just so OP that I just don't see it succeeding. More likely they will find a way to nerf the shuriken builds.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2014 at 7:26pm by »  

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #96 - May 1st, 2014 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 5:51pm:
Now that the tree has cha for damage, if the single weapon feat can work with throwing weapons that does open up some interesting possibilities.

some sort of throwing weapon and orb whatever in the off hand kind of build? ranged spells and weapons build? Dunno how it would go with the feats required or other stuff.

IP Logged

Daze
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama! I do ...
I really do.

Reply #97 - May 1st, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
After having played a shuriken toon, I parked or deleted every other thrower I had, just the sheer volume of fire makes it feel broken when you play any other thrower without the expertise, ninja II, 10k, dex, etc....
I would like it if they made the other throwers viable, but the Shuriken builds are just so OP that I just don't see it succeeding. More likely they will find a way to nerf the shuriken builds.

Problem is that Shuriken builds are not overpowered for the game ... every other thrower concept just sucks that much.

IP Logged

mattyboy
Ex Member

Reply #98 - May 1st, 2014 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Daze wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 7:42pm:
Problem is that Shuriken builds are not overpowered for the game ... every other thrower concept just sucks that much.

Yeah, I will cop to that.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2014 at 8:46pm by »  

IP Logged

The Great Neil
Korthos Resident

Reply #99 - May 1st, 2014 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 4:00pm:
Single weapon feats that only allow an Orb, runearm, or nothing?

2.Skirmisher: Passive: While Swashbuckling with a Buckler in your off hand, you gain 7% Dodge, and you may use a Buckler and still benefit from the Single Weapon Fighting line of feats.

Still doesn't make it less terrible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint