Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Mabar: RIP (Read 19149 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: Mabar: RIP
Reply #25 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Quote:
We've been trying to fix it for years but our code is crap and we have the cheapest coders money can rent, so we just keep making it worse.  Given our high level of incompetence, we feel its best just to move on.

In a way, this is actually a step forward for them.  How many times have they put up the event only to have to pull it down a day or so later because of all the bugs.  Starting from scratch is the out of the box thinking they need right now.

Shame that with their present team the new event will probably be even buggier than Mabar.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #26 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:42pm:
Ok.. I STILL have no idea .. what exactly was happening with Mabar that made them pull it early and then now dump it?

Server wide crippling lag when Dragon appears.

Random 24 people instances... with their own version of Greek Freeze crippling lag. (1) see below for what I think is the reason.
Some gets full pretty fast, others ends up being empty and it's faster to exit area ( at the risk of loosing the key ) and enter another one than wait for it to eventually fill.
as hinted in the line just above : keys not being given back if you exit before completion.

(1) reason of Dragon instance crippling lag :

The game is originally built around 6 people instances and a few 12 people instances. All of them private.  ( one party/raid = one instance )

The dragon in Mabar is an exception it's a 24 people semi-private instance ( one dragon instance = several parties with members that can be in yet another dragon instances.

Public instances ( say Marketplace ) are more or less limited to 50-70 people before they start spawing a second version of themselves. That's automatic and loadbalancing will put people entering the public instance in the less loaded one.

now I need to talk a bit at how the game client and the game server interract with each other.

When somebody does an action, the game client perform the action, and sends to the server the information that player X has performed said action. ( also sent to the server are the result of the action like the new location of the character )
The server then send that information to all the other game clients in the same instance.

Now we have what we all call crippling lag... actually it's a network/game client/Game server issue.
Because what happens when the dragon appears is that we have a massive monster, that change rooms every 2/3 seconds, and that does area of effect damages ( and take area of effect damages from 24 people ). All these, as well as all the location updates for 24 people, the Summons, the Pets, the Dragon, the Gargoyles.... The Action result for all that mess, as well as the hit ponits, spell points and more have to be sent back and forth between the Server and the 24 game clients... Then the game clients have to interpret all that  and display it... So what happens is that we just overload our links with Network stuff ( creating some delay ) overload a single thread ( representing the dragon instance ) on the game server, and overload the single thread/single process of the game client that needs to get all the effect/animations and such extracted out of the hard disk ( you know the optimized DAT files we all love. ). The result is crippling lag. Since the server is less in overload than the rest of the infrastructure the Dragon and the Gargoyles keep moving ( and hitting things ) while we all stand frozen by the network/game client overload.

Since the biggest chokepoint is the Dat files there's no real workaround... they can't do shit about it, so after trying so hard for so long to keep it alive they finally decided that it was going to be cheaper and faster to scrap the whole thing and create a new event. I won't mourn it's passing.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #27 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 5:41am
Print Post  
I don't mind them changing. I do want an update to the bloody loot.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #28 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 5:41am:
I don't mind them changing. I do want an update to the bloody loot.

This.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 7:49am
Print Post  
I liked mabar. And the lag was only a problem at the peak hours of the american play times. Which starts around midnight central european time. 4 hours before that there were hardly lag wipes, even in crowded instances.

That's why I would guess that it was really the problem that at the peak american hours you could end up with much more than 50 players in one instance.

And what from my experience helped with the lag wipes was also not to go into the first dragon instance and try to get into the second one, this one usually had less players but still enough to kill the dragon fast enough with a high chance to kill the dragon before that lags start.

So I think they should have tried to get rid of the mechanic that the party you belong to forces you into the same dragon instance. Then maybe the load for each instance would have been fine.
Yeah you would have had problems to get all friends in the same instance, but that would have been probably better than a brand new event with just some other bugs/problems.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2014 at 7:52am by SwashbucklerHater »  

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #30 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 8:18am
Print Post  
One of the ways to avoid crippling lag in Mabar was to wait for the other instances to start and wait at least 2-3 minutes. Waiting for them to complete was even better. Then the last guy pulls the lever in his room and off we go. That resulted in more successes than fails. Organizing this with random puggers beforehand is the hardest part though. Some pugs are super retarded.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #31 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 8:18am:
One of the ways to avoid crippling lag in Mabar was to wait for the other instances to start and wait at least 2-3 minutes. Waiting for them to complete was even better. Then the last guy pulls the lever in his room and off we go. That resulted in more successes than fails. Organizing this with random puggers beforehand is the hardest part though. Some pugs are super retarded.

This.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Residue
Korthos Resident

down trodden, with the
rest of you refuse

Reply #32 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Many interesting theories in this thread.  However, I was in several instances of the dragon fight which were maxed with players and completed successfully with little performance issues.  And I remember the first mabar dragon raids a few years ago that as I recall ran pretty smooth (aside from the maban issue.)  But the game back then was 1/2 the size, or even smaller, than it is now, with a greater population.  Makes sense to me that there were some software bugs introduced (game wide) since mabar's inception, and possibly even as a result of the changes the devs made to the event itself since the beginning as well.

24 toon instances shouldn't be a problem.  They just schmegged something along the way, and they probably don't know what it was.  Maybe even schmegged a few things, because I think there are multiple issues involved (some that Flav pointed out.  And we continue to see some of these performance issues in other quests/raids to this day.

IP Logged

ElBoltonero
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:59am
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2014 at 11:00am by ElBoltonero »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #34 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Gonna miss it, despite the shitty lag at time.
Wraps and cloak are not that horrid and 5 tome for few hours fun is cool. Also seen some people/guilds you never knew even existed on ze server.
Enjoyed it much more than other events.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #35 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Thank god that shit isn't coming back.

IP Logged

Goon
Korthos Resident

Reply #36 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Good riddance.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #37 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Not sad.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #38 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Invis on the altar always helped prevent a wipe.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #39 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Werebadger wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:43pm:
Bunch of pinheads running the place, I tell ya.

Pinheads of the world unite!  You have nothing to lose but your Lemarchand's Configuration!

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #40 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Sep 14th, 2014 at 9:29am:
Lemarchand

Lament....

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #41 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:53pm:
What was the hint in the July letter?

That was a dev response in either the regular or Lam dev tracker.

And it's about time. I've avoided Mabar like the plague. Up to and including not even logging in while it was running. Glad to see it go. Hopefully the next *version* wont be as big of a disaster.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2014 at 11:01am by Nuckinfutz »  

Felgor wrote on May 21st, 2013 at 3:45am:
DDO died a long time ago, we just all have trouble admitting it.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #42 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Sep 14th, 2014 at 9:41am:
Lament....

Why?  Did a puppy die?

Only in the movie is it called the Lament Configuration, also "Lemarchand's box".  I am far more familiar with the Hellbound Heart, upon which the movie was based, and it's "Lemarchand's Configuration" in there.

We now return you to your normal progra...  Wait.  Thread derails ARE normal programming.

wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #43 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 11:06am:
Gonna miss it, despite the shitty lag at time.
Wraps and cloak are not that horrid and 5 tome for few hours fun is cool.

FakeStrake wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:35pm:
We're not yet ready to provide details about the event, other than the hint provided in the Producer's Letter from July, but we can say that the event's items will be the items from Mabar.

IP Logged

Bleach
Korthos Resident

Totally indifferent.

Reply #44 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:53pm:
What was the hint in the July letter?

Quote:
Update 24 will round out the year with new quests, new Festivult cookies, and a new event that centers on something we can all agree on: looting chests! We’ll be continuing our work on the Anauroch Desert (in the Forgotten Realms), planning for Sentient Weapons, and developing another Classic Dungeon like the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. We expect these to be something you’ll see in the first half of 2015. We’re pushing out the level cap for now to make sure we have plenty of questing to support your journey through the highest levels of DDO. Hitting level 30 will be a big milestone for DDO, and we want to put it out when the timing is right, and make sure its design keeps up with the way you, the players want to play DDO.

♥ the first rule of fight club is have fun & be yourself ♥

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #45 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 12:38am
Print Post  
What happened to the Rugby event in House K?
Did that dev leave and it died in the ass?

Re Mabar, they could just have the event without the spectral dragon and you just earn your shit thru grinding like Crystal Cove?
Lag minimised?   Huh

If they're still planning to have Mabar items (which is good), then it has to be something related.
Hope they don't waste too much dev time on it....

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #46 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 2:51am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 12:38am:
Did that dev leave and it died in the ass?

I suspect you'll fine a number of dead things up the dev's collective asses.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 3:12am
Print Post  
And I am still going to miss mabar. Sad
I really liked the dragon fight itself, even if the lagwipes were frustrating.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2014 at 3:13am by SwashbucklerHater »  

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #48 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 7:46am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 12:38am:
Hope they don't waste too much dev time on it....

No need to worry there; the cockknuckles have Boots/Leap/Step timers to "fix".

IP Logged

KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Fuck. Mabar was probably the highlight of the DDO calendar. The annoying thing is that I see more lag in everyday questing these days than I ever saw in Mabar.

I can't be the only person out there who is fucking sick to death of yet another fucking Crystal Cove or Winter Games/Festivult can I?

Seriously, those fucking cretins at Turbine have had a year to iron out a few of the kinks.

Fucking Cunts. Seriosuly, is the best they can do these days the Festival of the fucking Traveller?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint