Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Mabar: RIP (Read 19147 times)
FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Mabar: RIP
Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/446997-A-hopeful-request-Turbine-Mabar...

Quote:
We will be replacing the Mabar Festival of Endless Night with a new event, currently scheduled to debut sometime after the release of Update 24 (not this next update; the one after it.) The new event is likely to make its debut after the new year. We're not yet ready to provide details about the event, other than the hint provided in the Producer's Letter from July, but we can say that the event's items will be the items from Mabar. At this time we have not been able to recover the Mabar festival in a way that addresses the issues with it and allow for its return.

Regarding Crystal Cove, we're planning to run the event this year with the new tier of loot around the time that Mabar would normally arrive. The plan for the future is to have the new event run around the time that we used to run Mabar.

IP Logged

Werebadger
Dragon Raider

Jazz hands!

Re: Mabar: RIP
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Bunch of pinheads running the place, I tell ya.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:35pm:
ther than the hint provided in the Producer's Letter from July

What was the hint in the July letter?

IP Logged

FTL
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
"At this time we have not been able to recover the Mabar festival in a way that addresses the issues with it and allow for its return"

Translation = we are too fucking stupid to figure this shit out and can't be fucking assed to do it either so we are binning it.

Instead they are too fucking busy re-hashing old content into "new" content and making shit fucking items!

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Was it those multiplying little things that spawned in house k and made people dc if you got close to them?

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
The only issue I have with this is that it took this long before they gave up on Mabar.

IP Logged

Yuda
Dragon Raider

Show me yer bewbs!

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Finally, the end of the FUBAR festival.

About damn time...

Bow down to the almighty YUDA!!!

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
FTL wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:54pm:
Translation = we are too fucking stupid to figure this shit out and can't be fucking assed to do it either so we are binning it.

Kluege wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:12pm:
The only issue I have with this is that it took this long before they gave up on Mabar.

It's a start.  At least they're getting closer to admitting that they make mistakes.

At this rate, they'll be learning from their mistakes a little before my AARP card arrives.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Werebadger wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:43pm:

Blasphemy! Not true! Pinhead would do a much better job Cheesy

Since I am always ask where images come from later... This is Pinhead, a character from the horror film series Hellraiser.

IP Logged

Doggydaddy
Titan Demolisher

Pull my Finger......

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Ok.. I STILL have no idea .. what exactly was happening with Mabar that made them pull it early and then now dump it?

IP Logged

Ohfaq
Titan Demolisher

Nubz morghulis

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
the items however were good. at least when the cap was 20 and 25. i still use the cloak on almost all my toons. i hope the new one will keep them and advance them to higher level (28 or 30).

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Werebadger wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:43pm:

That, sir, is an insult to pinheads.

IP Logged

Residue
Korthos Resident

down trodden, with the
rest of you refuse

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:42pm:
Ok.. I STILL have no idea .. what exactly was happening with Mabar that made them pull it early and then now dump it?

Many instances of the dragon raid would experience poor performance and eventually freeze up, is probably the main reason.  There were many FU turbines as a result of this.

There were other problems with it, but not worth bringing up.  In the end, the new devs pretty much probably don't know what the old devs did and how it worked, so scrapping it is probably the way to go from a business view.

But I will miss it, as I liked it for the creepy atmosphere that it provided.  Was pretty cool in that regard.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:54pm:
Was it those multiplying little things that spawned in house k and made people dc if you got close to them?

No. I am fairly certain that is a long abandoned event. It had been on Mournlands for a VERY long time and infrequently got turned on by mistake via Lamannia for a couple of years.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:42pm:

Server wide crippling lag when the spectral dragon was up.
Most believed it was due to shadow creature spawns in every room.

My observations.
I believe the main issue was that every instance of the dragon (possible to have multiple at each level range depending on player population) all started at the same time.
A logical step would have been to stagger the starts of the different level ranges at least, and even offset the Epic dragon by 10-15 secs to smooth the load.
Turbine's concern was that players might be able to complete multiple dragons by jumping instances.
Soln: use a lockout or cooldown timer.

There were lots of theories on causes like persistent AOE's, buffs and even flashy effect spells.  An interesting observation was that the mobs had no trouble moving and attacking, so lag only affected players.  You could see this as you spammed the heal button, whilst nothing happened, and then 30 secs later you just several thousand points of damage roll in over a few seconds as the game re-sync'd.

I believe this tied the problem to comms, not server load.
With each instance having up to 24-30 players, plus lots of mobs - this means an enormous amount of positional and action data has to be passed to each connected client.
In a normal quest, your client has to sync comms with the server that then sends that to 5 other clients.  In Mabar this could be up to 30 odd clients at a time.  That is an exponential increase in instantaneous comms that are very time dependent.
I think the soln would have been smaller groups - say max of 16 or less if the challenge was modified.  Get it back to 12 like a raid.
I suspect the client just was not written with up to 30 simultaneous players in mind.  Can't fault that, as DDO would not have envisioned that.  But they should have done a Lamm version with 12 players and change the requirements for levers/altars/rooms.
Furthermore a max number of groups to balance server load.

Then change the startup requirement so it runs more frequently.
You get the same number of people through, but spread the load.
These seem pretty obvious, so maybe they didn't work or they didn't try.

Ultimately there were lots of options suggested, but I think it fell in the too hard basket.

IP Logged

Shadehater

Smite Stupid!

Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Dragon didn't caue lag.  It was the Gargoyles.  It was always the gargoyles.  THey spawned simultaneously in every mabar instance in every spawn point at the same time.

Server cannot handle that many sequential spawns.  It only affected players because the server its self isn't having so much of a conniption fit as it was the the issue of translating all of that to the client side.  Basically like Redboxing in reverse.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
People were pulling levers like crazy when they didnt need to and that was causing lag.

IP Logged

Shadehater

Smite Stupid!

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 7:20pm:
People were pulling levers like crazy when they didnt need to and that was causing lag.

No.  It didin't help but this was not the root cause.  The incidental spawns from levers were not an issue it was the fixed spawns that occurred all at once on timer when the dragon moved around...and when he initially appeared.

IP Logged

Residue
Korthos Resident

down trodden, with the
rest of you refuse

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Gargs may have been some problem, but certainly not the only problem in the dragon raid.  Because although some instances of the event would grind to a halt, other instances were entirely successful without the bad performance issues.

Could be a combination of events, who knows, and we'll never really know.  All that matters really is that the event has been snuffed probably due to the performance issues.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Let me see what I can remember from the last Mabar. I was one of those who insisted on running the dragon opening even after several lag wipes.

The laggiest instances where the higher level ones with the most ppl in them. Then each level instance would be split into groups depending on how popular the level range was, but the instances were not divided equally.. you could have one instance with way too many players in it and another with not enough. I saw this several times.

And yes, I support the theory that it was the gargoyles and not the dragon, nor any kinds of AOE's that caused the lag. I remember Turbine even confirming it, that there was something wrong with the shadow gargoyles. The quicker you could kill them off, the lower the chance was for a lag wipe.

What I would like to see Turbine do, would be to run proper statistics on the instances. Like, how many instances, how many players in the instance, how many mobs spawn.. how much lag. With this kind of information, you'd think they'd be able to adjust the numbers to reduce lag.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Um, we can't code, the lag is bad, and everybody and their dog has bags full of duped Mabar ingredients so we decided to trash it.

Sincerely,

Turbine

IP Logged

Shadehater

Smite Stupid!

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
^-- That sounds like the most likely reason.

IP Logged

Expinst
Epic Poster

EU gamer.

Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Yuda wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:17pm:
Finally, the end of the LAGBAR festival.

About damn time...

FTFY

None of this shit really matters.

IP Logged

itsmineisawitfirst
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 12:31am
Print Post  
The man problem was too many people in particular instances, if they limited it to 12 per instance like a regular raid it might have worked. Along with controlling the aforementioned gargoyle spawns.

IP Logged

Rage
Waterworks Kobold

I Love boobies

Reply #24 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 12:59am
Print Post  
I never had problems with mabar but that's because I always ran with a level 10-11 character.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint