Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ashrons Call data center move from Turdbin (Read 6752 times)
EVC
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Ashrons Call data center move from Turdbin
Sep 9th, 2015 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
A company employing crossover for its products is nothing new.  However, users of one product would do well to pay attention to issues (failings) in another:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/09/09/asherons-call-still-offline-after-two-weeks/

Here is the AC Forum post:
https://www.asheronscall.com/en/forums/showthread.php?64864-Asheron-s-Call-maint...

In above thread, I find it interesting when Severlin announcements transition to Cordovan updates, (translation: more delays.)

It must be rather frustrating for the 2 new mobile teams, when the 3 old horses require System Operations teams time.  That said, it should surprise no one, when everything...  EVERYTHING takes longer than expected.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: Ashrons Call data center move from Turdbin
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Well, hopefully Turbine learns a thing or two from the AC disaster so the DDO/LotRO move won't be quite as bad.

One week down instead of two weeks down maybe?

Grin Grin Grin

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:10pm:
Well, hopefully Turbine learns a thing or two from the AC disaster so the DDO/LotRO move won't be quite as bad.

I don't recall any examples of Turbine learning from their mistakes or from the mistakes of anyone else.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:19pm:
I don't recall any examples of Turbine learning from their mistakes or from the mistakes of anyone else.

Because there are none...

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:19pm:

Because to learn from your mistakes, you must first admit that you make them ...  Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Two weeks isn't just poor performance, it's bad from a player retention point of view.

Two weeks is a good proxy for how long it takes for a game's psychological hooks to fade.
Hard core players will always migrate back, but those less addicted will have found that they have lost track of specific tasks and objectives, creating a mental barrier to entry.  In such an extended break, they likely have sort for and found an alternative form of entertainment.

From an MMO perspective, two weeks could be the death knell for a large proportion of their player base, especially in such an old game.  The only thing mitigating this will be the invested time of long term players who are reluctant to let it go, but everyone has a threshold to move on.
Let's see how much longer Sev and the team can fubar this.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:46pm:
Because to learn from your mistakes, you must first admit to yourself that you make them ...  Roll Eyes

ftfy

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

EVC
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:10pm:

One week down instead of two weeks down maybe?

Grin Grin Grin

If nothing else, it seems clearer now why what should have already transpired, has yet to take place.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:02pm:
Two weeks isn't just poor performance, it's bad from a player retention point of view.

Two weeks is a good proxy for how long it takes for a game's psychological hooks to fade.
Hard core players will always migrate back, but those less addicted will have found that they have lost track of specific tasks and objectives, creating a mental barrier to entry.  In such an extended break, they likely have sort for and found an alternative form of entertainment.

From an MMO perspective, two weeks could be the death knell for a large proportion of their player base, especially in such an old game.  The only thing mitigating this will be the invested time of long term players who are reluctant to let it go, but everyone has a threshold to move on.
Let's see how much longer Sev and the team can fubar this.

[sarcasm]You must be wrong, if that were the case, then the widespread 2 week bans handed out for relatively minor and widespread duping, with the added barrier to return of inventory wipe, would have caused a huge decline in the DDO population.[/sarcasm]

Yeah, it amazes me how they think they can use the mind game "player management techniques" when they can't even get basic gamer psychology down. Their level of arrogance would be remarkable even for a competent company, for a company as incompetent as Turbine, it's downright shocking.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Holy shit.

This is insane, the only thing I find more shocking is how under-reported it is in the industry media.

Talk about proof of collusion between publishers and the gamer press, what a pack of twats.

Poor AC players.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:37pm:
This is insane, the only thing I find more shocking is how under-reported it is in the industry media

This because twitter, reddit and twitch/youtube gaming killed the publisher to gamer press circle jerk. You get better, honest, and in depth feedback from your friends, or people they follow, or the comments section on reddit and lastly the coverage on twitch/youtube gaming. What's left are the dinosaurs still trying to hold on to the casuals and the less informed.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
a two week mandatory break is just what I need to kick my DDO habit.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:37pm:
Holy shit.

This is insane, the only thing I find more shocking is how under-reported it is in the industry media.

I think it's more a matter of economics. It's a game that slipped into maint mode from a publisher that just closed their only new offering and has driven their other 2 remaining properties into the ground more than a year ago. Who gives a crap about A.C. in Industry Media?

It's not collusion, it's recognizing that it's not going to draw more than a few hundred page views.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Severlin, Severlin, speak so slightly
Severlin, down on your bended knee
Taste the whip, in love not given lightly
Taste the whip, now plead for me

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:13pm:
This because twitter, reddit and twitch/youtube gaming killed the publisher to gamer press circle jerk. You get better, honest, and in depth feedback from your friends, or people they follow, or the comments section on reddit and lastly the coverage on twitch/youtube gaming. What's left are the dinosaurs still trying to hold on to the casuals and the less informed.

Meursault wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:33pm:
I think it's more a matter of economics. It's a game that slipped into maint mode from a publisher that just closed their only new offering and has driven their other 2 remaining properties into the ground more than a year ago. Who gives a crap about A.C. in Industry Media?

It's not collusion, it's recognizing that it's not going to draw more than a few hundred page views.

When you put it that way it's hard for me find any reason to disagree. Ya clever little bastards.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2015 at 9:06pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 9:31pm
Print Post  

AKA Yelp, AKA Reddit, AKA Twitter, AKA Angies List, AKA Amazon Reviews, etc.

Games are no different.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 10:39pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

totally
DQ Assaulter

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 5:13am
Print Post  
What's left are the dinosaurs still trying to hold on to the casuals and the less informed.

There's still a few pockets of decent gaming journalism around. But yeah, the traditional gaming press' appeal as a marketing tool is waning.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Partially awake, I can see at least 10 ways they could have fucked up the move... ( and that's before my morning coffee )

Now we see that it's a game/computer company that has no clue when it comes to datacenters and hardware housed in such...

You don't do such a move that way... You replicate the application you want to move in the old data center on the new hardware... then you move the new hardware to the new datacenter... you test the new hardware in the new environment ( all the time you have the old thing still up and running )... once you're sure it fucking works you perform a swichover, shutting down the old stuff and redirecting traffic towards the new one. ... shees...   Roll Eyes

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 11th, 2015 at 2:33am:
Partially awake, I can see at least 10 ways they could have fucked up the move... ( and that's before my morning coffee )

Now we see that it's a game/computer company that has no clue when it comes to datacenters and hardware housed in such...

You don't do such a move that way... You replicate the application you want to move in the old data center on the new hardware... then you move the new hardware to the new datacenter... you test the new hardware in the new environment ( all the time you have the old thing still up and running )... once you're sure it fucking works you perform a swichover, shutting down the old stuff and redirecting traffic towards the new one. ... shees...   Roll Eyes

It doesn't even sound like it was planned.
Typical fracking Turdbine ill-considered reactionary response.
"OMG - they're cheating, shit down the servers.  Hey let's move the datacentre too.  Cool, what a great idea.  Stick the machines in Davo's ute, drive across town, plug 'em in and we're golden!  Back to PacMan LARP for the rest of the day...... "
And that's how it all started. Undecided

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #20 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 11th, 2015 at 2:33am:
test

This is the step that was skipped.

"Deploy first, then later discuss a possible fix" is the Turbine methodology.

"Testing on production hardware before going live".  Seriously, Flav?  Why would you even suggest such a thing.

How could you forget that things are different for Turbine?  That they're a special case for whom these best practices hold no value and do not apply?

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #21 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Sep 11th, 2015 at 9:51am:
"Testing on production hardware before going live".  Seriously, Flav?  Why would you even suggest such a thing.

Because even if I see how bad things can get fucked up every day I still have a tiny bit of naïveté that makes me consider that the best is something possible, even if I always plan for the worst...

Lets see if they can fuck up AC move as badly as the Codemasters -> Turbine transfer was fucked up... after all we had to wait from August 15 to almost november for our characters to be dumped on G-Land... and we had to wait several weeks before knowing where we were going to be dumped.

Oh and it's not just Turbine, all the computer and all the telecom industry is moving towards that kind of behavior...
Lets put the thing in production and see what happens... If it goes belly up we just shout at people to fix the resulting clusterfuck.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint