Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO Leaves Turbine/Wb! Starts new company! (Read 52593 times)
gravegod
Ex Member

Re: DDO Leaves Turbine/Wb! Starts new company!
Reply #75 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 3:52pm:
It turns out that Asheron's Call is closing as part of this deal.

It will be pretty instructive to see how they handle it.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #76 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 3:55pm:
Sad

I never even played AC but I feel the pain. That game ran for a LONG TIME and offered a lot of room for lateral expansion. I know people who've been playing it from the start, from beta... hell, one guy I know was playing with the children of a few of his original guild mates, who hadn't even been born yet when the game launched.

That is seriously the end of an era, right there.

Wonder if Turbine is going to finish the private AC servers they promised before it closes?

Agreed. I never played it either, but they feel like kindred spirits. It would cost Turdbin little to release the server code, and it would help them by making people feel less skittish about spending money in one of their games when it's showing signs of weakness. Most people won't stock up on points if they think the game might be closing soon, but knowing Turdbin has released the server code for games they stopped supporting will make the end feel much further off. Not that points help when the server code is out, but the "gut feeling" has an influence beyond strict calculations. Turbine can use all of the good will they can get.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #77 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:03pm:
It would cost Turdbin little to release the server code,

There is a whole lot more involved in releaseing source code than *just* packaging it up nice and pretty. The AC server source might include proprietary technology that's been licenced from other companies, it may require server tools that cost money themselves. There may be code in it, that, in the intervening 18 years, Turbine has licensed to other companies and no longer owns. Its just not as simple as tossing a code repository up on source forge and calling it a day.

Good example: the Torque game engine is now open source. It began life as the Tribes 3(maybe 2?) engine, and the team at garage games spent litterally YEARS re-writting ;arge portions of the code because they involved third-party products the company did not own.

Now, on the flip-side: releasing a private server software for AC would be relatively trivial. The is a HUGE GINORMOUS difference between releasing the software and releasing the source code. Apparently a few years ago turbine was actually about to release a private AC server program, and then they litterally just stopped talking about it. Like the threads still have posts from users from today, but no turbine employee has replied in like 2 years.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #78 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:57am
Print Post  
That's it, fish sticks, get your hopes up nice and high.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #79 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:22am
Print Post  
My real life has been very busy

Boy was I shocked when I opened the game and saw the news on the launcher.

I am with Grand and Flav here.

SSG is the bottom feeders from Turbine.  The ones that could not get jobs at other companies and the ones that were staying on until the game died.  Lots of brown nosers in that group, the exact kind of person I have no respect for.

Turbine itself is doomed.  Mobile gaming is where it is at, yet, their one mobile game sucks.

Turbine already has a bad rep at Warner Bros.  Game of Thrones had better produce or Turbine's electricity is going to be turned off.

They have batman Arkham underworld.  That's it.  My game playing kid does not have it on his phone.  His friend's don't play it.

A possible Game of Thrones game coming out.  No idea, but do young people watch game of Thrones?  It is on HBO, do parents let their cell phone packing kids watch the show?  Do young women play that much games on their cell phones?

Turbine will be shuttered and assimilated by Warner Bros.  If I was a Turbine employee I would be trying hard to find a new job, especially if the same crew that was in charge of Infinite Crisis is telling me that Game of Thrones is going to be the next greatest thing.

That leaves SSG.  Since their talent is suspect, and with the F2P model being what it is, and with most kids having no clue what D&D is, the market possibilities for the company is grim.

I have no idea how bad a micro transaction game can get, but I have a feeling I am going to find out just how much pay to win is involved.

Will I be seeing a bunch of ads pop up on my screen to buy something crappy?  How many times will the DDO Store just open up on my screen to make me buy SSG Points?

Good news, we just might get a server merge as SSG will want to cut down on the footprint of servers they pay for.

I am casting my vote that DDO will close first, November 2018.  The SSG will hang on with the LoTRO crowd and then close that also, January 2022.

I have never posted a doom post before.  But I see it on the horizon now.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #80 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:28am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 3:52pm:
It turns out that Asheron's Call is closing as part of this deal.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/ddo-lotro-indie-studio-standing-stone-games

January 31, 2017.

Severlin worked on it.  Doesn't that just boost the confidence level?

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #81 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:33am
Print Post  
https://www.asheronscall.com/en/forums/showthread.php?73423-Asheron-s-Call

https://www.facebook.com/AsheronsCallResurrection/ wow 29 people like it.  29 whole people.  How empty was their server?  Severlin left a lot of empty promises.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #82 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:41am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:32pm:
There is a whole lot more involved in releaseing source code than *just* packaging it up nice and pretty. The AC server source might include proprietary technology that's been licenced from other companies, it may require server tools that cost money themselves. There may be code in it, that, in the intervening 18 years, Turbine has licensed to other companies and no longer owns. Its just not as simple as tossing a code repository up on source forge and calling it a day.

Good example: the Torque game engine is now open source. It began life as the Tribes 3(maybe 2?) engine, and the team at garage games spent litterally YEARS re-writting ;arge portions of the code because they involved third-party products the company did not own.

Now, on the flip-side: releasing a private server software for AC would be relatively trivial. The is a HUGE GINORMOUS difference between releasing the software and releasing the source code. Apparently a few years ago turbine was actually about to release a private AC server program, and then they litterally just stopped talking about it. Like the threads still have posts from users from today, but no turbine employee has replied in like 2 years.

I disagree. You don't have to release *running* source code, leave the calls to the proprietary libraries but don't include them. People who want to run it at home have the option of buying a license for the proprietary library or rewriting the source to use something else. In that respect it's much easier to release source, and it's more useful in the long run.

Now if you're talking about *selling* a home server product, then it does have to run and you do have to do the rewrite yourself, but I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about releasing the source and letting the community fix it up themselves. And that *is* as easy as dumping it on sourceforge, or better yet, github.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:17pm:
Remember that data center move? how well that went?

On the minus side, unless they lease the server space from WB there will be another data center move in the near term.

On the plus side, another data center move might not bring the months of crushing lag that the prior one did, because they seem to have either figured out how to run VMs or leaned on their VM vendor hard enough to learn how to set the UTTER_FAIL flag to OFF.

Now if only Mookie could learn the same.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #84 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:06am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:22am:
Turbine already has a bad rep at Warner Bros.  Game of Thrones had better produce or Turbine's electricity is going to be turned off.

They have batman Arkham underworld.  That's it.  My game playing kid does not have it on his phone.  His friend's don't play it.

A possible Game of Thrones game coming out.  No idea, but do young people watch game of Thrones?  It is on HBO, do parents let their cell phone packing kids watch the show?  Do young women play that much games on their cell phones?

From the above it seems your perception of mobile games is that mobile games = kids or mobile games = girls.  That grown men play consoles and/or PC games.

This is not accurate.  Game of War:Fire Age, for example, is largely dominated by adult males.  And females.  That mobile game prints money.  I played it for a while but quit because it is largely P2Win.  You can't achieve the highest level of city buildings or troops without spending mass cash.  And there were a shit ton of people doing that.

Pokemon Go, which is about as kiddie as it gets from a concept perspective, had a heavy adult contingent.  And female.  (Although I'd suspect it had a higher ratio of kids to adults than other games). 

Clash of Clans demographics state that 50% of the population is between 21-35.  And 23% in the over 35 demo.  Only 27% of their demo comes from under 20's.  Candy Crush as 40% in the 21-35 demo and 40% in the over 35 demo. 

I'm sure the GoT market is targeted at 16+ and there is a huge number of potential players in that market.  Several orders of magnitude larger than the potential target for a PC MMO.   

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #85 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:41am:
leave the calls to the proprietary libraries but don't include them.

This would, at the absolute minimum, require going through the source code and determining what is and isn't proprietary, what can and can't be released. That's 18+ years of updates and changes to review, millions(billions?) of lines of code.

Sure, you don't have to do it line-by-line and so far as I know most of AC's code was developed in-house, but it still a non-trivial matter to make *any* amount of the source available.

Like I pointed out, Turbine may well have sold parts of it's code-base to other games, and if that's the case, they wouldn't be able to give away the source. They may also have bought parts from other games that are now in a wierd right limbo.

So, in your scenario, someone has to go through a massive source library and decide which parts they can and can't legally give away, and risk getting sued if they make the wrong choice. Its hundreds of hours of work. Turbine doesn't pay their people well, but that's still a huge resource investment for the 5 people who'd actually want to modify AC's source code.

Making a closed-source private server is easy, comparatively. Giving out source code is not a simple decision.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #86 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:06am:
From the above it seems your perception of mobile games is that mobile games = kids or mobile games = girls.  That grown men play consoles and/or PC games.

~snip~

I'm sure the GoT market is targeted at 16+ and there is a huge number of potential players in that market.  Several orders of magnitude larger than the potential target for a PC MMO.   

Those mobile games are fricken money-faucets. I read an interview with a guy who'd spent $9,000 on Game of War over the course of a year. His guild leader was in it for over $75,000, its sickening.

But those games are quite literally P2W, as in you can just pay money to stomp all over people. Theguild leader was the best player BECAUSE HE'D SPENT $75k. After the first couple of weeks, if you aren't dropping $100 every 2-3 days, you're basically useless.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #87 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:28am:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/ddo-lotro-indie-studio-standing-stone-games

January 31, 2017.

Severlin worked on it.  Doesn't that just boost the confidence level?

Just sharing for the ridiculous lols: the link you posted links to pcgamesn's list of "the best MMOs on PC"

The list goes:

EVE online - ok, really a pretty good game
Neverwinter - we al know how this forum feels about that game...
Star Trek Online - as a dyed in the wool trek fan I say this: seriously, fuck that game

and then gets in to some actually decent-looking games.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #88 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 10:35am:
On the minus side, unless they lease the server space from WB there will be another data center move in the near term.

On the plus side, another data center move might not bring the months of crushing lag that the prior one did, because they seem to have either figured out how to run VMs or leaned on their VM vendor hard enough to learn how to set the UTTER_FAIL flag to OFF.

Now if only Mookie could learn the same.

Turbine even managed to predict your special kind of stupid.  From their Transition FAQ posted 2 days ago: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordovan
Will the servers be changing?
We'll continue to operate out of our existing data center, and there are no plans to change servers in any way.

You just keep on herpa derpin, don't you?  When are you going to stop pulling random, incorrect statements out of your ass?  You're the Tilo of factual statements.

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:53pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #89 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:03pm:
It would cost Turdbin little to release the server code

Except that it is a known fact that AC and DDO/LoTRO share lots of code...

Just look at the DAT files... they have the same structure in AC, DDO and LoTRO... so the code to read them has to be the same in the 3 games.

No way they are going to release the source code... and everybody needs to remember that getting a public server for AC was Severlin Pet Project before he was shifted to  DDO and LotRO as Producer.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Reply #90 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Stay tuned. Big things on the horizon. Can't say much more than that but the past week has been both busy and exciting.

PS: see you in game novalis

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #91 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:04pm:

Just look at the DAT files... they have the same structure in AC, DDO and LoTRO... so the code to read them has to be the same in the 3 games.

Not the slightest bit surprising. It is interesting when you note how drastically different the games are: AC is a massive, open world; while DDO is heavily instanced. One wonders why they decided not to use a similar, massive/open environment if they had the ability to re-use all the code? No conspiracies, just curious. My guess would be that AC required a cluster to operate while DDO ran(originally) on independent metal servers.

No way they are going to release the source code... and everybody needs to remember that getting a public server for AC was Severlin Pet Project before he was shifted to  DDO and LotRO as Producer.

Really sad for the AC-playing community. If you think about it, a lot of the more devoted fanbase is now middle-aged, well established individuals. Hell, I personally know a guy who's been playing for 18 years and is VERY capable of hosting his own server.

If severlin had kept his promise and the private servers came through, the game may have stayed accessible for another 10+ years.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #92 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:04pm:
Meursault wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:41am:
I disagree. You don't have to release *running* source code, leave the calls to the proprietary libraries but don't include them. People who want to run it at home have the option of buying a license for the proprietary library or rewriting the source to use something else. In that respect it's much easier to release source, and it's more useful in the long run.

This would, at the absolute minimum, require going through the source code and determining what is and isn't proprietary, what can and can't be released. That's 18+ years of updates and changes to review, millions(billions?) of lines of code.

No, it doesn't. You are allowed to show your calls to the library, you just can't include the library itself. If you figure out a way to make the case that showing the calls or declarations is infringing, Oracle would like a word with you  Roll Eyes

Like I pointed out, Turbine may well have sold parts of it's code-base to other games, and if that's the case, they wouldn't be able to give away the source. They may also have bought parts from other games that are now in a wierd right limbo.

LOL, somebody would buy Turdbin's code?! Selling code requires documentation, and a basic understanding of what you've got. Turdbin clearly has had neither for a very long time.

So, in your scenario, someone has to go through a massive source library and decide which parts they can and can't legally give away, and risk getting sued if they make the wrong choice. Its hundreds of hours of work. Turbine doesn't pay their people well, but that's still a huge resource investment for the 5 people who'd actually want to modify AC's source code.

Making a closed-source private server is easy, comparatively. Giving out source code is not a simple decision.

When you release a closed source product you have to worry about re-distributable licences, installers, platform requirements, etc. When you release source code, you have to go through the list of files and make sure you have no executables or linked libraries that came from somewhere else.

Unless you've gone through the utterly useless and extremely difficult task of taking purchased code out of the files the vendor gave you, which gains you absolutely nothing, there is no purchased code in your source. Only in your compiled code. Unless their server software is written in HTML and ASP.NET, running as an IIS web service (which would explain a lot of their performance issues, but would be incredibly stupid even by Turdbin standards) the purchased stuff is pre-compiled and you only link to it.

So in general it's far safer and easier to release source than compiled code.

If you know of a specific package for game servers that comes as source that you build your source into, I guess that could lead to what you're talking about, but that seems like quite a stretch. I've written software for distribution for 30 years now, purchasing countless libraries and tools along the way, and not one has been like that.

Do you know of one in the gaming industry? I'd certainly stop disagreeing with you on the point if you could show me a concrete example they might have used. And I'm talking about their server code, not the game engine, or their web site. I could see a web site they bought as a template and filled in, but that's not the server code. I don't want to call B.S., but I'm having an awfully hard time seeing how it could be so.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #93 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:38pm
Print Post  

So you're saying somebody with the source for AC might be able to build a proxy that intercepted the communication between the DDO client and server and alter it to exploit DDO? Now that I could believe.

The generic "it's too hard to release source" rings as true as "it's too hard to release quality software", but "we might get exploited" I'll totally buy  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #94 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
The only really important question any of this raises is:

When will/have they started working on a true DDO2?

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #95 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I hear the cleric pass is slated for 2037, so sometime after that.

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #96 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I feel like I have to defend a bit--there are easily 3 of the remaining DDO devs that are worthy. A couple have returned to the game because of this deal.

Good luck to them, it is a stay of execution, but as a game dev I have to root for them. We have enough crap layoffs and stuff in this industry, seeing a few dudes dodge the bullets and save their projects is pretty awesome.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #97 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:56pm:
I hear the cleric pass is slated for 2037, so sometime after that.

This, pretty much.  They started class passed what, 6 years ago?  And still have several left before they are completed.  Divines seem to be the most back burnered since they have made other changes that made Divines obsolete.  But the PTP class Druid still hasd only 2 enahance trees.  And Favored Soul still has no SLAs.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:52pm:
I don't understand a conditional statement.  I just keep sucking cock and hoping the cool kids will like me.

There, there, Mookie.  Let me explain using small words that you might understand this time:
"unless they lease the server space from WB there will be another data center move in the near term"
This means that a new server move is contingent.... sorry...too many syllables...A new server move will happen unless new company pays old company to host the servers.

There, was that too hard for you?  I'm not sure I can dumb it down any further.  Mookie dumb is already the lowest setting on the dumb-o-meter.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #98 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:01pm:
I feel like I have to defend a bit--there are easily 3 of the remaining DDO devs that are worthy. A couple have returned to the game because of this deal.

Good luck to them, it is a stay of execution, but as a game dev I have to root for them. We have enough crap layoffs and stuff in this industry, seeing a few dudes dodge the bullets and save their projects is pretty awesome.

+1

Seeing Torc back on there is good shit.
Smaller companies are sources of innovation.
Here's to hoping for another big company buyout in 2 years when the indie steam runs out.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #99 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:32pm:
This would, at the absolute minimum, require going through the source code and determ

~snip~

eing how it could be so.

You're apparently unable to understand this concept, so let me dumb it down even further:

Their are copyright and patent considerations that make releasing code a legal minefield.

Meursault wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:38pm:
So you're saying somebody with the source for AC might be able to build a proxy that intercepted the communication between the DDO client and server and alter it to exploit DDO? Now that I could believe.

No, he said nothing even remotely like that. Where are you getting that idea from?

Flav was referring to my own statements that releasing the code is legally highly complicated, especially since it was shared between projects.

Here, let me give you a simple example: AC was developed by Turbine, who had extensive help from Microsoft. Microsoft may actually own some of that code.

Turbine is privately held, but was backed by Highland Capital Partners and Polaris Venture Partners until 2010, both of those companies may not actually own parts of the code, but they certainly have a development stake. The company was then bought by Warner Bros, and unless you're intimately familiar with all of the contracts involved, you aren't qualified to say what all of those various companies are legally allowed to do with some very valuable assets.

Point being: releasing code is a legal clusterfuck. You sound like an idiot when you say "they should just release the source code".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint