Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Artificer Build Paths for Beginners (Read 23210 times)
Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: Artificer Build Paths for Beginners
Reply #25 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 27th, 2017 at 8:02am:
*points into the abyss*

Ah Pook wrote on Apr 27th, 2017 at 12:21pm:
*cha points back*

... And that is where Vault Cred comes from.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #26 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Apr 27th, 2017 at 3:24pm:
If only we knew someone who knows all the e-mails of all the Standing Stone Rock Stars!  And if only we could convince that person to make Steelstar spill the changes on the shithole DDO forums or something!

Yeah sure let me just go lose my career to leak things to the world's lowest quality forum, that sounds like the right call to me

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #27 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Apr 27th, 2017 at 9:52pm:
Yeah sure let me just go lose my career to leak things to the world's lowest quality forum, that sounds like the right call to me

As opposed to losing it over bad mouthing the main DDO forums? (Hint: There may be a wordsub that you're getting tripped up on.)

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #28 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Apr 27th, 2017 at 9:52pm:
the world's lowest quality forum

That's the slogan, but you should know better than to put your faith in advertising.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #29 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:36am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Apr 27th, 2017 at 10:48pm:
As opposed to losing it over bad mouthing the main DDO forums? (Hint: There may be a wordsub that you're getting tripped up on.)

If I lose my career to anything it's probably going to be something remarkably stupid. Luckily, my stupidity hasn't caught up with me yet, but it does mean that everything I do has to be done running from consequences at top speeds. Sort of like a large stupidity snowball that has been gaining mass behind me as I sprint downhill.

It would be a damn shame to never be able to work on DDO again, I miss the team terribly and loved my time there. I felt so incredibly helpful and I was so happy to bring some joy to you and every other fan Smiley

Revaulting wrote on Apr 27th, 2017 at 11:36pm:
That's the slogan, but you should know better than to put your faith in advertising.

Heheheheheh good one Smiley

I'm ashamed to say this, but I don't actually know how to do the "toppie" thing. Just pretend I put a few in there Tongue
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:37am by Sailias »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #30 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:41am
Print Post  
ddo probably only has a year or two left, you wouldn't have a career there. Unless they're actually going to try and release a new game.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #31 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:54am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:41am:
ddo probably only has a year or two left, you wouldn't have a career there. Unless they're actually going to try and release a new game.

If that were true, making a whole new studio wouldn't even be a possibility. Luckily, DDO and LOTRO are doing very well and have many years to grow and shine Smiley

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #32 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:36am:
everything I do has to be done running from consequences at top speeds. Sort of like a large stupidity snowball that has been gaining mass behind me as I sprint downhill.

This is just not true. But I bet it does make the others at SSG feel like you belong there, so ... keep saying it?

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:54am:
If that were true, making a whole new studio wouldn't even be a possibility. Luckily, DDO and LOTRO are doing very well and have many years to grow and shine Smiley

From a monetization point of view this might be true. Each update in the last few years has shifted DDO closer and closer to a low budget / low development game -> decreasing costs. The disastrous server move resulted in reducing costs - I'm sure this was the primary motivation anyways. Finally going to a new studio might be a sign that DDO / LOTRO are doing well - otherwise why would people put their money in to form it. However on the other hand turbine actively made the choice to let them go. This means that that profit margins must not have been worth it to them (or their bigger parent company). Pointing towards the trend that DDO/LOTRO are being gamed to be low cost, low net profit but sustainable.

If DDO/LOTRO were really as profitable as the SSG staff want us to think there wouldn't be a gaping hole in support staff (they'd already be trained). AND turbine or their parent company would never have let them leave. Companies typically do whatever it takes to maximize bottom line profit. Almost nobody in the real business world is just going to let sustainable profit machine go for a one-time payout of an undisclosed amount.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #34 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:36am:
I'm ashamed to say this, but I don't actually know how to do the "toppie" thing.

At the risk of opening Pandora's Box (there is a cat, and you know it's dead), to the left of your reply box is a "More Smilies" clickie popup.

Smiley

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #35 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 26th, 2017 at 5:17pm:
  What else are you thinking a spell casting class will need to umd?

Unless they go Warforged, they are going to want to be able use heal scrolls ASAP.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #36 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 2:49pm
Print Post  

I'm guessing they did not open the books to an intern, no offense but this is business 101. So I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit. You are hoping that's true. You do not know it.

Moreover, if you were a good intern and DDO/LOTRO were growing they would have hired you. You work was well liked and you were enthusiastic. Why didn't they?

Additionally, the size of updates, the dwindling server populations (ignoring the artificial noise of RR's making it look like a lot more people are playing who aren't)and you can just do the math.

Don't get me wrong, DDO maybe survive 5 more years, but it will be with a dwindling or static headcount, and it will NOT be a good career move for you.

Unless of course SSG gets a capital injection and builds a new game.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #37 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 2:49pm:
Moreover, if you were a good intern and DDO/LOTRO were growing they would have hired you. You work was well liked and you were enthusiastic. Why didn't they?

I declined their offer. I am now three years into a degree that I would have had to give up. Life is complicated, I'm too young to throw away the majority of a four year degree. The games industry is fickle for sure. If it helps, they've hired a lot of new people since I've left, and I know for sure most of the other interns became full time people. A lot of them were on the lotro livestream on Wednesday.

It's gonna be okay, Jakee. I promise.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #38 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:07pm:
I declined their offer. I am now three years into a degree that I would have had to give up. Life is complicated, I'm too young to throw away the majority of a four year degree. The games industry is fickle for sure. If it helps, they've hired a lot of new people since I've left, and I know for sure most of the other interns became full time people. A lot of them were on the lotro livestream on Wednesday.

It's gonna be okay, Jakee. I promise.

Are they building a new game?

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #39 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:13pm:

I dunno, I hope not, I love DDO and want them to put effort into that instead of anything else.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #40 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:13pm:

Finite Crisis.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #41 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
someone (supposedly) close to the game doesn't know as much on the state of the game as some basement dwelling fuck on Vault ......... right Jakoff-eelala  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #42 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Jelly_Muffin wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:24pm:
someone (supposedly) close to the game doesn't know as much on the state of the game as some basement dwelling fuck on Vault ......... right Jakoff-eelala  Roll Eyes

if they dont make a new game ddo will be gone gone gone in 3 years.

If you think interning at a company gives you some sort of inside information you're an idiot. Companies DO NOT tell their employees they are going under. Especially not privately held companies. They just lay you off or close their doors one day.

Its good to hear they are hiring. They may have gotten some capital in the spin off which would allow them to hire headcount as described.

Aging MMO's dont grow. Especially third tier ones like DDO and LOTRO.

Hiring means:

1. They were making some profit post-spinoff and have some room for headcount
2. They got capital in the spin-off and they're spending it
3. They've borrowed money to increase headcount to make a new game or try to update old ones enough to eventually pay the money back
4. LOTRO and DDO are cash cows and they have nothing better to do with the money than to hire people to increase updates and releases and/or build a new game (similar to #1 but assume a lot of profit instead of just a little bit)

None of these means DDO will be around in 3 years. They just mean it might be.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:40pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #43 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:39pm:
If you think interning at a company gives you some sort of inside information you're an idiot.

Right, just be a customer instead, it's the only way to be in the know.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #44 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 2:49pm:
I'm guessing they did not open the books to an intern, no offense but this is business 101. So I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit. You are hoping that's true. You do not know it.

Jakeelala's chances of having first hand, inside information pointing to DDO being shut down in 3 years = zero.

An intern who actually worked at the companys chances of having first-hand, inside information about the game not being shut down in 3 years = something greater than zero.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2017 at 2:27am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #45 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I wish I could comment beyond the usual "things are ok and don't worry."

But things are okay. Don't worry.

Arti changes are on the PC and lamannia happens eventually. Give it like two weeks or so, I dunno. Bother Jerry, not me.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #46 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 2:30am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 1:00pm:
Unless they go Warforged, they are going to want to be able use heal scrolls ASAP.

So they lose the extra feat they gain for being human to a skill focus? That's a raw deal. Shit, in that case you might as well put Augment Summons back for the fuck-all it will do to help out those sweet hjealin' hirelings when they decide to tank the boss instead.

harharharhar wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:39pm:
If you think interning at a company gives you some sort of inside information you're an idiot.

Sailias wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:07pm:
I know for sure most of the other interns became full time

Damn, what an idiot she is for thinking she knows the interns were hired. You're so smart, NotHar, for pointing this out to us. Thank you for your insight. It has been very helpful, especially for deciding which feats help a newbie Artificer.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 3:46am
Print Post  

Shrink and shine, perhaps.  The player base is not growing, or at least the third party sites that try to track logins seem to indicate that this is the case.  SSG may grow and shine, but I don't think they will do so if they rely solely on DDO and lotro as products.

5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 1:00pm:

40 umd to scroll heal, and so the 3 points from skill focus will help a little.  Out of combat where they could just as easily chug pot after pot instead.  In combat it's going to be a game of run around like mad and pray for a success, and that's assuming they need something removed that a pot won't handle.  Hell, replace skill focus with heavy armor proficiency.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #48 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Newb UMD @ level 9

12 ranks
3 cha
3 skill focus
3 AP
3 guild
3 competence
2 morale
2 arti knowledge
1 luck

= d20+32

We all know 65% isn't quite 65% when it comes to UMD, but it only gets better from there. Also, they chose to play an Artificer, so this is what they signed up for.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #49 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 29th, 2017 at 1:33pm:
Also, they chose to play an Artificer, so this is what they signed up for.

You say that like you're trying to punish them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint