Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Black friday sales (Read 15946 times)
fork
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Black friday sales
Reply #50 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:32am:
Well at least they've admitted that it's the "warlock or die" era of DDO.

Prepare for (more) warlock nerfs after the sale ends and everyone owns them.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #51 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:30am:
That may be your definition, but it doesn't match the accepted definition.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whale

A whale is just someone who spends a lot of money on a game. 

The stuff about getting done with out lube or reach arounds is all your own personal acedote.  No judgements, though if that is how you roll.  To each his own.   

EDIT:  If you think spending $130 on a game means you are a whale then that's cute.  To be a gaming whale, you need to add a zero.  There are people who drop $500 on cosmetics alone.  Or thousands of dollars on mobile games.  You think Turbine isn't making a mint on that little Game of War knock off they have - Game of Thrones:Conquest?  There is a reason they went into mobile gaming.  Opening a new kingdom means probably 6 figures in income in the first week.

Lol @ $130 or $80 = whale.   

1/10.  Poor spin attempt ignoring context and using pedantry to avoid answering the question.

Since you like being pedantic, there's no specific mention of DDO in your link, yet "whale" has been a commonly accepted term in the context of DDO for a long time.  Additionally, nowhere in your definitions does it specify a particular threshold of spending before one can be considered a whale.

If we take a generic definition applicable to gaming and apply context related to DDO to it, I'm not sure how you can think someone who drops $130 on an adventure pack with about $25 worth of useful stuff is anything but a whale.  Anyone who buys either of the upgrade packs is essentially just paying a markup of several factors for cosmetic fluff, aka whale.

Sure, someone who drops $500 on cosmetics (citation needed) is a whale.  That just means they're a larger degree of whale than someone who pays $130 for an adventure pack with $25 worth of useful stuff in it.  Both are still whales.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:10pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #52 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 4:52am:
Not telling isn't keeping a secret, it's just not telling Tongue  Thanks for the unneeded, slightly pedantic advice though. 

Yeah, I know it was unsolicited and a bit pedantic.

It's just a topic that is of interest to me as I've seen a lot of friends and family use your approach with their SO and have yet to see it work long-term without causing at least some minimal level of problems.  It seems like it creates potential for unnecessary friction that could be easily avoided.

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:27pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #53 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:27pm:
and this 2 for 1 bag deal is kind of fishy. those bags are btc, if i would take that offer i'd like to spread around those bags .....

Apparently the devs don't know what "one for you, one for your alt" means.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #54 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:26pm:
It's just a topic that is of interest to me as I've seen a lot of friends and family use your approach with their SO and have yet to see it work long-term without causing at least some minimal level of problems.  It seems like it creates potential for unnecessary friction that could be easily avoided.

You're listening with your fears instead of to the words.  It happens a lot these days, especially (admittedly) with such a short reference statement.

"What I've spent" vs "what I spend" is usually shocking on any topic.  For example, my wife drops an extra ten bucks a week for beauty cream - which she (imo) absolutely doesn't need.  She's young, she's beautiful, she already gets attention and compliments and her skin is fine.  I personally think it's pointless but it makes her happy and I know she does it for me, so I don't give her any shit about it or really a second thought.  It makes her happy, good for her. 

But that's "what she spends."

If I actually sat down and thought about it and looked at the yearly number - holy shit, that's 540 bucks that could have been spent on whiskey and whores instead for something we didn't even need, the yearly sum is more shocking.

I drop 10 to 20 bucks a month on games.  That's nothing for entertainment, especially considering I'm an expat and don't have (nor really have much interest in having) much of a social life (which would cost considerably more than my gaming budget).

If I told my wife I was going to drop 10 bucks while doing it once a month, she wouldn't even bat an eye.

But if she knew I'd dropped six to seven hundred bucks over the past 5 years on video games, she'd react negatively.  Hell, sometimes I feel like I've completely wasted money and feel slightly ashamed when I do the actual math.  That's a lot of money for something you don't even own - if you're looking at it from that perspective.

Really, take the time and calculate what you spend on damn near anything yearly and it can almost feel wasteful (I figured out once I spend like 250 dollars a year on orange juice alone.  It just sounds crazy when you look at the yearly total).

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #55 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Nothing is on sale worth a shit.. and all they did was make shit kike the ottos and 20 hearts available for the same shitty price as always... wtf???

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #56 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:08pm:
1/10.  Poor spin attempt ignoring context and using pedantry to avoid answering the question.

Since you like being pedantic, there's no specific mention of DDO in your link, yet "whale" has been a commonly accepted term in the context of DDO for a long time.  Additionally, nowhere in your definitions does it specify a particular threshold of spending before one can be considered a whale.

If we take a generic definition applicable to gaming and apply context related to DDO to it, I'm not sure how you can think someone who drops $130 on an adventure pack with about $25 worth of useful stuff is anything but a whale.  Anyone who buys either of the upgrade packs is essentially just paying a markup of several factors for cosmetic fluff, aka whale.

Sure, someone who drops $500 on cosmetics (citation needed) is a whale.  That just means they're a larger degree of whale than someone who pays $130 for an adventure pack with $25 worth of useful stuff in it.  Both are still whales.

I like how someone else called you pedantic for your budgeting and relationship advice and now you use that word multiple times...I guess you liked it.  The rest is your typical posting.  it might get Frank into a frothing lather, but I could care less.  Bye.

IP Logged

Sockmocker
Dirty Sock

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #58 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Skrilla wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 3:00pm:
Nothing is on sale worth a shit.. and all they did was make shit kike the ottos and 20 hearts available for the same shitty price as always... wtf???

Wish bags were 50% off instead of BOGO.  Sigh.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:15am:
So by that breakdown do you consider yourself a "whale"? I spend(or spent) about the same, and wasn't sure if I qualified for whale status.

I guess?  I don't care about the label.  Like other freemium services, there's a large segment that uses DDO for free because it's subsidized by a small userbase using premium features (think LinkedIn).

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:42pm:
So there are several warnings on the mobos about not buying the bags (yet?) because they are btc.
Maybe they will change that.

They won't.  Today on the livestream, someone asked why bags are BtC instead of BtA.  Jerry's response was some bullshit about "BtA bags in a shared bank is a great way to lose your stuff".  IIRC, back when BtA bags were a thing early on in DDO, certain exploits were enabled that didn't work with BtC bags.  Apparently marketing never got the memo.

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 5:32pm:
They won't.  Today on the livestream, someone asked why bags are BtC instead of BtA.  Jerry's response was some bullshit about "BtA bags in a shared bank is a great way to lose your stuff".  IIRC, back when BtA bags were a thing early on in DDO, certain exploits were enabled that didn't work with BtC bags.  Apparently marketing never got the memo.

The old BTA (green) bags allowed you to pass BTC crafting ingredients through the shared bank (without the bag becoming BTC). I know some people who still have theirs.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #62 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 6:47pm
Print Post  

so put your shit in the shared bank coz it's a little safer just got shot out the water by the same fuckers who said to do it .....  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
"BtA bags in a shared bank is a great way to lose your stuff".

Putting bags into shared banks will delete your items now?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #64 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
NoGoodDoc wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 5:54pm:
The old BTA (green) bags allowed you to pass BTC crafting ingredients through the shared bank (without the bag becoming BTC). I know some people who still have theirs.

Or several, whatever.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Is that list of the "sale" legit?  Are they that out of touch with the sales base? 

Never mind, redundant question is redundant.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #66 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 7:34pm:
Putting bags into shared banks will delete your items now?

Lose, as in "can't find" or "lost track of," not "deleted."

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #67 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 8:31pm:
Lose, as in "can't find" or "lost track of," not "deleted."

Or loose as in "get taken away from you" Wink

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #68 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:03pm:

No, that is lose, as in you lost something because it was taken away from you, not loose. Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:41pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

Demoyn
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 10:05am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:03pm:

The only time "loose" and "get taken away from you" go together is when we're discussing virginity.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:30am:
That may be your definition, but it doesn't match the accepted definition.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whale

A whale is just someone who spends a lot of money on a game. 

The stuff about getting done with out lube or reach arounds is all your own personal acedote.  No judgements, though if that is how you roll.  To each his own.   

EDIT:  If you think spending $130 on a game means you are a whale then that's cute.  To be a gaming whale, you need to add a zero.  There are people who drop $500 on cosmetics alone.  Or thousands of dollars on mobile games.  You think Turbine isn't making a mint on that little Game of War knock off they have - Game of Thrones:Conquest?  There is a reason they went into mobile gaming.  Opening a new kingdom means probably 6 figures in income in the first week.

Lol @ $130 or $80 = whale.   

Frothing lather:

Digimook called me a whale for buying character slots.  lol.

And yeah I am a digital hoarder, but a character slot is cheaper by about 30% than 10 shared bank slots and comes with 3 20 slot backpack and 1 20 slot bank as compared with 10 shared bank, and can be increased if you care to run the favor quests to do so.  So cheaper by far if math isn't a foreign concept to you. 

As usual, Digimook doesn't really have the knowledge to back up the spew from his mouth hole.

But while $130/year doesn't equal whale, I have to wonder if the people who were foolish enough to spring for the "ultimate fan bundle" only drop that $130 in any given year.  I tend to doubt it, since that bundle was so lackluster that I saw many posts on the forums from people who bought it "just to keep the lights on."  Ahahahahaha!
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:28am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #71 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 4:00pm:
I like how someone else called you pedantic for your budgeting and relationship advice and now you use that word multiple times...I guess you liked it.  The rest is your typical posting.  it might get Frank into a frothing lather, but I could care less.  Bye.

I do like that word, but it has nothing to do with Skoodge's use of it.  I've used the word several times in the past on here long before this.

I notice you're still dodging the question though and you do seem to care since you immediately went all defensive mode on the whale thing.  At this point, I'll assume you have no legit way to disprove that you are a whale.  Given your financial bragging and your previous, well-documented cheerleading for SSG here and on the official forums would indicate, it's a pretty safe bet that you're a DDO whale.

It's funny to see you try to belittle and prove superiority over others by dick-waving about your financials then turning right around and belittling someone's vocabulary/education.  Real classy.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #72 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:20am:
more herpa derp

See what you did Asheras?  You brought up those painful memories for him again and got him wound up.

And you call other people trolls?  lol

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #73 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 8:03pm:
I do like that word, but it has nothing to do with Skoodge's use of it.

Actually didactic was the word I was looking for, but pedantic worked well enough.  I seriously have not been getting enough sleep...

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 8:04pm:
See what you did Asheras?  You brought up those painful memories for him again and got him wound up.

And you call other people trolls?  lol

Here's another word for your vocabulary lesson, Mookie:  Marionette.

You are mine.  Your brain is a small and rather dull toy, but I do like to play with it on occasion.  And you dance so well!  But since I hold the strings I guess I deserve the credit and not you.

Assherass is a shill, but at least he is an honest shill.  You pay into ssg while trying to pretend that you don't, and that's just dishonest and pathetic.  Like the rest of your life.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint