Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Let me know if Ravenloft is worth it (Read 12970 times)
Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Let me know if Ravenloft is worth it
Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Money's not a problem.

I don't believe I'll be back to grinding like the old days.  just want to know if the content is worth exploring, running a few times, etc . . .

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Re: Let me know if Ravenloft is worth it
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Probably not.. save your $$$

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
Money's not a problem.

I don't believe I'll be back to grinding like the old days.  just want to know if the content is worth exploring, running a few times, etc . . .

Considering Ravenloft content is the only way to get Sentient Jewels, yes.. its going to be worth it just for that alone.

Bear in mind, hvnt actually logged in yet to see if there are some portions free, like they did on MotU and Shadowfell.

~Edit~ alright, logged in before using my codes - Cannot access any of Raven without buying it, Ergo - F2P players are fucked on getting sentient jewels.. Typical SSG
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:13pm by Vendui »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
Money's not a problem.

I can fix that. PM me your ID & Credit Card info.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

ShoeMaker
Korthos Resident

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:17pm:
~Edit~ alright, logged in before using my codes - Cannot access any of Raven without buying it, Ergo - F2P players are fucked on getting sentient jewels.. Typical SSG

Until it's all available in the DDOstore.  If they follow the way they did with Mordor in LotRO, it'll be the "next update" which I would expect near the end of March or early April around anniversary time.  Even VIPs got nothing from U37 except another race.  /shrug

Personally, I currently don't feel playing the game itself is worth anyones time unless they really enjoy the heroic TR grind.  SSG flat out fucked up with this expansion.  Guess VIPs don't mean anything to them any more.  /shrug

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
The quests are very good

Its not an expansion though, so dont expect much more than a collection of good quests

In retrospect it wasnt worth paying what I paid for it, but would certainly be a good pick later on when its available for TP
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:40pm by goldgolem »  

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
I think they got the creepy feeling right.  I have enjoyed the quests so far.  Likely the cheap version is enough if you are not into cosmetic stuff.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

slothinator
Waterworks Kobold

You're doing it wrong

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I've really enjoyed the quests, and the explorer area is massive. The heroic loot - at least what I've pulled - is really good for level. I got the $40 pkg, and feel like I'll get my money's worth over the next few months/TRs.

On Sarlona: Abbracadaver - Stethos - Shaigh Hulud - Stelvar - Saltmint - Soundwaive - Kuddlefish - Fujihowser MD - Blayddlokk - Redraligan

Member of Giants of Winter and Old Night

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
ShoeMaker wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
I currently don't feel playing the game itself is worth anyones time unless they really enjoy the heroic TR grind. 

These quests are actually the best work ssg has ever put out. Amber Temple in particular is one of the better quests in the entire game. It isn't a daily because the xp isn't as high, but what it offers is a long dungeon crawl. One that feels like tabletop d&d, in a unique setting with distinct art and very little copy paste environment that ssg has been infamous for. Of course the loot in the pack is op as fuck. Even the free weapons they are giving away blow most weapons out of the water on a dps basis.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Im not going to lie.. they do look really nice. And they had to have spent a lot of time making it..  some of the quests seem way too long but others are fairly short.. i guess it evens out a little.. the long ones will go faster in due time..

There is nice loot tho.. and a lot room to explore.. The pack is worth buying.. the $130 one wasnt good value but the $40 one isnt too poorly priced..

So if you want to play it now buy the $40 one.. or wait a few months and spend tp.. its up to you

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 7:52pm:
These quests are actually the best work ssg has ever put out.

That isn't saying much.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:36am
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:59pm:
That isn't saying much.

These fuckers have been phoning it in since Shadowfail, but this pack as great.  They appear to be very good at adapting old pen and paper stuff with the exception of Temple part 2. 

Worth my $40.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:48am
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:59pm:
That isn't saying much.

Especially since they just copied them from a book...  Roll Eyes

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:48am:
Especially since they just copied them from a book...  Roll Eyes

I'll take it and be happy. It feels like d&d at least. And the last quests they made were hot garbage. doj raid managed to ruin a classic raid in tower of despair. fashion madness pack was some of the worst copy pasting I have ever seen. same with the legendary shroud flaggers. The 40 I spent on ravenloft was well worth it. im hoping they turned the corner now and continue adapting source material instead of that shit they were dropping.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 2:50am:
I'll take it and be happy. It feels like d&d at least. And the last quests they made were hot garbage. doj raid managed to ruin a classic raid in tower of despair. fashion madness pack was some of the worst copy pasting I have ever seen. same with the legendary shroud flaggers. The 40 I spent on ravenloft was well worth it. im hoping they turned the corner now and continue adapting source material instead of that shit they were dropping.

Rubbins should buy me teh $40 pack, and Ill pay it back later.. ~not that I even have a character ready for it, until at least this weekend.. when I am getting it myself.. but fuck it!~

IP Logged

Erofen
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 3:07am:
Rubbins should buy me teh $40 pack, and Ill pay it back later.. ~not that I even have a character ready for it, until at least this weekend.. when I am getting it myself.. but fuck it!~

lol you told me you bought it last week.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #16 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Erofen wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 3:42am:
lol you told me you bought it last week.

Nah, getting it this weekend, stuff came up last week ^-^

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #17 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:51am
Print Post  
I'm usually hyper-critical of SSG but I'll honestly admit that this is probably one of the better content packs they've put out.

It's easily the best Castlevania game put out in the last 5 years so there's that.

Considering the quality of content we've gotten the past few years (Legendary Shroud, Slavers, fucking Newcomers, etc...) where it was obviously phoned in or full of clone stamp tool content this is...a nice departure.

I mean Death House is genuinely depressing and in a good way.  Castle Ravenloft is done pretty amazingly and is the first quest in ages I've had fun exploring.  The abbey, amber temple, etc...are all brilliant.  The story is coherent and you kinda almost care about it.  There are two quests which kinda suck but they're really quick and visually amazing otherwise so you can suffer through it.

The raid being buggy kinda sucks but it sounds like the guy they got working on it isn't going to abandon the project and move on to something else now completely ignoring all the glaring issues with it (*coughReaperModecough*)

But the atmosphere of the quests, the layouts, the mob placement are all on goddamn point and some of the gear is genuinely nice/worth getting.  This isn't ToEE where I looked at the loot list and went "Meh..."  This isn't slavers where I did the quests and the depressing level of boring bullshit made me not even bother going back because you don't really need Slavers gear to beat content.  This isn't LGS where if we weren't jumping over the...I mean if I didn't have 7 chest pullers to offset how monumentally boring it was.

Ravenloft is fun.

There is one pretty big problem though...

That's it.  It's just 12 quests and a raid.  It's a content pack, not an expansion.  Every other game ever expansions come with not only just some new dungeons but also systems changes, gameplay changes, quality of life updates, etc...etc...

There's no revamp to the DC spellcasting system or retuning for blaster casters making them not stupidly OP or stupidly useless.

There's no UI revamp making it not an absolute chore to navigate or find useful information.  I mean scroll bars and search windows on a handful of elements is a nice start I guess?

Where's the promised multi-cruncher for Cannith Crafting we've been waiting on since what...u30 or whenever the CC revamp was?  Where's the revamp for end game reaper making it more lucrative to stay at level 30?  Where's the changes to banking making inventory management not as much of a massive pain in the ass?

Why didn't we take this opportunity to fix the billions of recipes in the stone of change and get rid of the goddamn thing?  Why didn't we take this opportunity to take all the old shitty crafting systems in the game nobody uses anymore because the stuff is so significantly out of meta and just have bosses/quests drop completed items?

Why didn't we take this opportunity to switch all quests to the Challenge system so you can do your favorite quests at a reasonable stretch of levels?  Toss in mentoring or some other sort of de-leveling system so I can group with my friends the more than once every 3 blue goddamn moons when we all happen to be in level alignment.  Let me do Waterworks at level 27 with a 13 and a 5 in the party.

Where was the fucking systems changes?

Oh...oh we got sentient weapons.  Slavers for weapons.  I mean they go to all this work of adding a UI element for set bonuses and don't even retroactively apply it to old loot either.

So yeah.

Don't get me wrong.  I was genuinely worried after Newcomers that this was the kind of content we'd be getting going forward.  Mines of Teth made me afraid we'd get nothing but bloated HP bag mobs for less then 1/3rd the xp similar quests give.

Ravenloft I think is definitely worth the pickup.  In March when several of the bigger bugs are fixed and it's on the store for TP and nobody is running it anymore because the next content patch invalidates it all with +22 enhancement bonuses to str.

But no seriously.  After the direction we were headed in early 2017, this is a definite move in the right direction and unless you're selling shirts you have stolen a copyright on in order to not feed your kids because you don't have your fucking priorities right...where was I going with this?

Oh yeah.  Buy Ravenloft.  Get the 130 dollar bundle too.  Why the fuck not.  It's not like you're going to spend that money on something sensible instead.  Do you really need more webkins?
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2017 at 8:05am by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
The raid is you vs res timers.

I would prefer never to see a res timer again. They could have made amber temple the raid and not have needed the res timer crap

Im looking forward to whatever the 2nd raid is, hoping it doesnt shit all over the loot ive just farmed and praying it doesnt have the res timer mechanic
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2017 at 10:32am by goldgolem »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:51am:
Oh yeah.  Buy Ravenloft.  Get the 130 dollar bundle too.  Why the fuck not.  It's not like you're going to spend that money on something sensible instead.  Do you really need more webkins?

Thats what I did, and I think it was genuinely worth it.

The bottle of mist was pretty cool, it appears to be uninterruptible. So if you're getting mobbed by trash and just want to nope out, all you need is enough HP to survive the count down.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #20 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Ya ive been growing a little tired or the res timers.. especially in raids and in high reaper.. It would be nice if they took that out at some  point or scaled it down a good bit on time limits..

This isnt ravenloft but... something that really annoying is that if you get more than a few lvls in a day and somebody new joins your group, they cant get in unless everyone else thats been lvlimg relogs. Or you have to reform. But thats not easy to do if the quest has already been going on..

I used to hang with people who were nuch higher or lower than me just bsing and it wasnt a problem. But when people were able to let heroic toons in epic quests they fucked everything up so that all these errors happen now even when it shouldnt. It wasnt as big of a problem as the one they created by trying to "fix" it..

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #21 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
goldgolem wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 10:31am:
Im looking forward to whatever the 2nd raid is

Why do you think we're going to see a second raid?

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #22 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:14am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:18am:
Why do you think we're going to see a second raid?

cause they planned one and designed it and even programmed it. then they tested it and all went to hell. there were a lot of tears and sympahy fucks but somewhere between next week and march we get another raid.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Interesting. You know it's a decent expansion pack when even most of the Vault is praising it. I might have to check this one out.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #24 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Interesting. You know it's a decent expansion pack when even most of the Vault is praising it. I might have to check this one out.

Yeah. 

Content wise, it's surprisingly decent.  The atmosphere is dark and dreary.  The missions aren't complete auto-attack kill 923423422 trash mobs snoozefests.  The raid is okay. 

The itemization is decent and the sentient gems and filigree system add some flexibility and customization options for various builds.  And perhaps most surprisingly of all, the drop rates for the filigree and pseudo named weapons seems relatively decent (for now).

As usual though, the one big thing they dropped the ball on is quality control, testing, etc.  Several of the good named items are bugged all to hell currently (quiver, cane/buckler, etc.).  The Strahd raid is buggy as shit.  Etc.

Overall though, it's decent.  Far better than their usual standards.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017 at 2:16pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint