Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO and 4k video (Read 16260 times)
Mr
Titan Demolisher

Re: DDO and 4k video
Reply #25 - May 6th, 2015 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all of the input.

I have been playing at 1920x1080 and I want all the hotbars, the focus orb, a decent sized map, a couple of decent text boxes for chat/combat/loot/guild/channel stuff, the quest objectives, the buffs/debuffs and the party/raid toonlist.

This leaves me with a pretty small amount of real estate in the center of the screen.  Just making it wider would be a huge help.  I have 2x24" monitors - but that setup sucks cause the double bezel in the center. 3x24 could work - but I dont really want to run 2xvid cards. (laptop when on the road)

I think that I am gonna get the monitor (4k tv) and try to use from my laptop - before you laugh my laptop may actually do it. (i7, 16gb 3gb - hdmi)

Hoping to do something like 3840x1080 in windowed mode, as this would leave enough room for a couple of browser window @ 1920x1080 (tv resolution is 3840x2160)

Will share if I like it or not.  It may take a while though - pretty busy for the near future.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #26 - May 7th, 2015 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Mr wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 10:44pm:
Thanks for all of the input.

I have been playing at 1920x1080 and I want all the hotbars, the focus orb, a decent sized map, a couple of decent text boxes for chat/combat/loot/guild/channel stuff, the quest objectives, the buffs/debuffs and the party/raid toonlist.

This leaves me with a pretty small amount of real estate in the center of the screen.  Just making it wider would be a huge help.  I have 2x24" monitors - but that setup sucks cause the double bezel in the center. 3x24 could work - but I dont really want to run 2xvid cards. (laptop when on the road)

I think that I am gonna get the monitor (4k tv) and try to use from my laptop - before you laugh my laptop may actually do it. (i7, 16gb 3gb - hdmi)

Hoping to do something like 3840x1080 in windowed mode, as this would leave enough room for a couple of browser window @ 1920x1080 (tv resolution is 3840x2160)

Will share if I like it or not.  It may take a while though - pretty busy for the near future.

In your situation there is one clear advantage with three monitors.  In this setup the centre screen retains your POV you would have had if you gamed on a single monitor.  The side monitors just display more "peripheral" vision.

This works out really well for players with your goals as you are able to move chat screens and hotbars to the side monitors, leave map open full time etc while leaving your centre screen fully clear.

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #27 - May 7th, 2015 at 1:36pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #28 - May 7th, 2015 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 7:01am:
I built my work area to safely support 3 21” Hitachi CRTs at 90lbs each (plus headroom for other relevant bits).

The Oracle as well ran triple Hitachis. Though I was using a hollow-core interior door as a desk and after setting the second one on it, looked back and realized it was going to be a half-pipe in about 10 more minutes, which led to a panicked reinforcement with a 2x12 and a old table leg.

Still have one around.  And still have the dealer poster on the wall!

The Oracle also ran 5760x1200 with DDO, but gave up on surround gaming.  Actually, DDO was the only game that really worked!   That THAT works, but they still can't fix the PM Necrotic touch/bolt/blast cool down timers in like 2 years now is beyond words.   Huh

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #29 - May 7th, 2015 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 2:30pm:
That THAT works (5760x1200), but they still can't fix the PM Necrotic touch/bolt/blast cool down timers in like 2 years now is beyond words. 

Doesn't surprise me at all.  It's pretty clear that the people who started up the game (and are now gone) loved it a lot more than the people who are getting paid to do things to it since then.

I miss my 3x Hitachi setup.  My skin hasn't been as clear as it was when they were lighting me up with their pleasant rays.  My cats miss them too - they used to enjoy the warmth coming off the back of them.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #30 - May 7th, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Oh dear... I used to have 45Kg SUN ( it was probably built by somebody else ) 21" monitors on my desk at work ( 2 of them + a 21" HP one + a 17" Compaq [for the PC] ) as well as a stack of stations ( Sparc Ultra 5 + Sparc Ultra 1 + 2 HP 9000 WS ), the PC was hiding under the desk...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #31 - May 7th, 2015 at 4:28pm
Print Post  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #32 - May 7th, 2015 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 4:28pm:

It's only a brag shot.
Not really playable at the resolution sustainably.
I considered this setup when I did my last upgrade and borrowed some larger monitors to see how practical it would be for me.
It might sound strange in today's race for size, but it was too large and took up too much space.

If you put 3 x 30" monitors in front of you on a normal desk, it is going to exceed your field of view and you're going to have to scan giving you eye fatigue and neck issues.

If you have a custom setup and can sit further back, then you'll be fine, but you'll have no chance of reading the GUI.

I have a larger than normal desk with Tri-monitor stand and I found 3x27" to not be comfortable either.  Some people do though.

For me, 3 x 24"s was ideal.  You don't need anymore to fit all the possible hot bars and windows on your screen.
It also provided the best bang for buck and could be driven by a single Radeon card that supports triple monitor setups.
I like the Radeon multi-monitor software setup too.  Very easy to configure, even compensates for bezels.
I see Roman ran 3x 30's off a single 7970 - wow that puppy would run hot.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #33 - May 7th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I like 24s too.  Nice size, and you can get a decent resolution.  This pic's a little old, but similar.  I moved the top one over and now I have dual inputs to switch between a separate Mini box and TV, going through an amp.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #34 - May 7th, 2015 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 8:12pm:
I like 24s too.  Nice size, and you can get a decent resolution.  This pic's a little old, but similar.  I moved the top one over and now I have dual inputs to switch between a separate Mini box and TV, going through an amp.

http://mitnal.com/quad.jpg

I like the spliff in the foreground.  Nice feng-shui.

PS - I think you're keyboard needs updating to the 1990's......
Grin

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #35 - May 7th, 2015 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
It's a cinnamon stick, officer, I swear.   Grin

Also, if you say one more goddamn negative word about my Model M I'm gonna swim across the Pacific and punch you in the mouth.  Thing's probably older than most of Sarlona.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #36 - May 7th, 2015 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 2:30pm:
The Oracle as well ran triple Hitachis. Though I was using a hollow-core interior door as a desk and after setting the second one on it, looked back and realized it was going to be a half-pipe in about 10 more minutes, which led to a panicked reinforcement with a 2x12 and a old table leg.

Still have one around.  And still have the dealer poster on the wall!

The Oracle also ran 5760x1200 with DDO, but gave up on surround gaming.  Actually, DDO was the only game that really worked!   That THAT works, but they still can't fix the PM Necrotic touch/bolt/blast cool down timers in like 2 years now is beyond words.   Huh

Two things in common.  My personal favourite was the LG Flatron 19".  I had two of those beasts taking up my entire desk, although even after all these years they were probably the best monitors I have ever owned.

I quit playing my PM and have boycotted him since the enhancement pass when they "brought the PM SLA cool downs in line with other classes".
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2015 at 9:13pm by Durk »  

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #37 - May 7th, 2015 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Durk wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 9:12pm:
quit playing my PM

It was this gem here that was the straw that finally pushed me into tr'ing again.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/459187-Pale-Master-s-Negative-crit-cha...

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint