Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO's DnD License (Read 32033 times)
Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Re: DDO's DnD License
Reply #25 - May 12th, 2015 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 2:16pm:
Cordo, you are not a good moderator, and I mock your value system.

That's better!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #26 - May 12th, 2015 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:14am:
You are assuming that WoTC wants another MMO platform that is 5e based.   A lot of it might depend on what they want to do with NWO.  Right now they have two MMORPG's.  Do they need a third?  Do they need to kill one of the ones that is making them money and replace it?  Hard to say.  We don't have any data that they would be looking at.

That's the whole issue, as long as they bring money, Hasbro/WoTC has no reason to kill any.
There's also almost no point into launching a third MMO at the moment...
Honestly, if a 5th Ed MMO was planned, it should have been planned with a release date in sync with the books, not one ( or more ) years after the PHB release.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #27 - May 12th, 2015 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 1:44pm:
Actually he did say something along those lines.  It's in a video that's linked somewhere around here, maybe in even more than one place, but I am far, far too lazy to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677OoDGU0ig

It was more along the lines of "Shit on the players; they'll pay us more," than "shit out garbage."

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 2:07pm:
Should they show someone plowing through EE content in minutes, instead?  Or should they try to show a game that has challenge and a learning curve?

His twitch vids are NOT for veteran players.  They're just to promote the game, and get people involved with the Turbine team.  He may not be terribly eloquent, but he can generally form complete sentences.  I'm sure a large percentage of even the most well-spoken people here turn into stuttering autistics on a mic when they know there's an audience.

Umm he died in god mode...

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 2:10pm:
I was waiting for that. 

Either join the mob mentality or get labeled a Paladin/fanboi.  There is no room here for conversation or alternate points of view. 

I said several times in this thread alone that I think Turbine is doing a poor job and that, as a player, I am disappointed in their performance.  Not sure how that makes me a Turbine Paladin. 

I guess because I didn't just blindly agree with you.  Sorry.  Let me change my point of view:

You are right.  Turbine sucks so much ass and eats so much cum that WoTC must be totally disgusted by them and will definitely refuse to take their calls, let alone renew the license agreement.  WoTC may even drive over to Cordovan's Mom's house and slap her face for giving birth to him because his game play is an atrocity and embarrassment to D&D.  WoTC will most likely decide to license another developer to build a new (3rd) MMO just 2 years after the release of their last MMO.  It will probably be based on 5e. 

Is that better?  Did you get the validation you so desperately are seeking?

You should go to the MB and join the Troll Army.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #30 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:07pm:
Umm he died in god mode...

What better way to show that a game has challenge?

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #31 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:08pm:
You should go to the MB and join the Troll Army.

So I'm a Paladin Troll.  Is that a new Iconic coming out?  Do I have alignment issues?

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:16pm
Print Post  

All the messing with folks aside, the somewhat last point you (Asheras) made is what I'm asking about.

IS WotC going to do a game for 5e, it DOES sound like something wotc would do. They are very greedy over around them parts.  And if so will they pull the license from DDO, not that they are mutually exclusive, but why allow a 10 year old game to make new stuff when you can make a shit ton more money 2 years from now off of a newer licensee that fits where you are as a company.

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:14pm:
So I'm a Paladin Troll.  Is that a new Iconic coming out?  Do I have alignment issues?

Trolls can be Paladins, ones a race the other is a class. Tongue

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:11pm:
What better way to show that a game has challenge?

HA! Touche!

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #35 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:16pm:
IS WotC going to do a game for 5e, it DOES sound like something wotc would do. They are very greedy over around them parts.  And if so will they pull the license from DDO, not that they are mutually exclusive, but why allow a 10 year old game to make new stuff when you can make a shit ton more money 2 years from now off of a newer licensee that fits where you are as a company.

I would be surprised to not see any video games to be made using the new rules released in the next couple of years, but it seems to me that the MMO format is losing popularity across the board.  I assume that the continuous resources necessary to keep MMOs going is a factor.

As far as greed goes, yeah, WotC is famous for pulling as much money as possible from its games and then making the old versions obsolete when releasing a new one (see: Magic) but with video games, there is no direct connection between them.  Having it around doesn't detract from your other games.

Think of DDO as a faucet in your laundry room.  You might not use it every day, but it's still a source of water. If it starts leaking, you fix it, but as long as the water is there, might as well have it instead of just using your kitchen and bathroom faucets.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #36 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:16pm:
All the messing with folks aside, the somewhat last point you (Asheras) made is what I'm asking about.

The questions seem to be:

1)  Does WoTC want to make a new MMO for 5e?  We don't know.  It would seem to make sense to have your PNP game and your computer games using the same rule set, but then they recently re-released the BG/BG2/IW series with EE versions and those are based on 2.5 or 3.0 rulesets.  Of the games on their website (3 PC, 3 tablet, and 2 console) only the upcoming sword coast legends is 5e based. 

2)  What, if any, impact does that have on DDO? 

Since it is clear with NWO that the Turbine license is non-exclusive, the Turbine license is not preventing them from licensing another development company to make a 5e MMO.  So they don't "need" to pull Turbine's license just because they want to make another MMO.  The only reason to not renew would be that they are worried that players playing DDO will be reluctant to move to their new MMO as long as DDO is around.  Three MMO's make for less efficient marketing and split up the player base.  So maybe they want to end the license to consolidate interest, if they want to build a new MMO. 

However, given that an MMO takes 18-24 months to build, why would you pull the license now?  You could give a 2 year renewal and get 2 years of revenue and have the DDO license expire when the new MMO comes out.  Why give up 2 years of revenue for no value?  The last thing you want is the DDO users to go play GW2 or Wildstar or something in the meantime and risk they don't come to your new MMO in 2 years. 

Even if they do want to go this route, I can't see a reason they pull it until the new game is ready or at least in beta.  Even then they may not.  They let NWO compete with DDO. 

3)   Can WoTC give a license to another game company for a new MMO based on 5e?

It is possible that although Turbine/WB doesn't have an exclusive license that Perfect World/Cryptic does have something in their license that precludes WoTC from issuing a license to another developer to make a PC MMO for X number of years.  If I was going to pay for a license for an IP and invest millions of dollars in development, I'd want some protection to ensure that there was no competition in that same IP space for a certain period of time.  So, NWO might restrict them from doing a new MMO.  We don't know.   

I'd honestly be more concerned about WB/Turbine shutting it down (Which I'm not particularly worried about.  Look how long AC has been up and running) than I would be about WoTC not renewing the license.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2015 at 4:44pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #37 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:40am:
What is wrong with Cordovan's game play and dialogue?

Cordovan does not prepare for his videos.  He does not prepare his characters for general play, nor does he prepare them for the particulars of the quests he will run. 

I don't expect Cordovan to play at the highest levels, but he blows off preparation completely.  For example, plays a character with trap functions, but cannot find his Search/Spot/DD/OL gear (and runs out of rogue tools). 

This is not a skill issue, it's an acceptance of slop.

Regarding the dialogue, the "ha ha, tin foil hats" thing was a completely avoidable but very revealing gaff.  He does it often enough for it to be an unambiguous indicator of the regard he has for the playerbase.

Prior to earning a paycheck from Turbine, he hosted the DDOCast (until Podcast #190 (audio only)).  I've listened to some of them, and his commentary was much more sensitive to the player point of view. 

Now, he's pretty dismissive, and it's hard to think it's not a result of his immersion in the Turbine culture.

Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:40am:
When did Paiz say that their business model was to "shit out results that foster animosity"?  I've read a lot of producer letters and never saw that one.  Was it in a WikiLeaks email to a Sony exec?

Fernando's position on the value of addressing customers' perceived needs is no secret.  There's a youtube video where he unambiguously states that "Players will complain but not leave" while giving a presentation about the microtransaction model, and it's been linked here on The Vault as well as well as http://lotrocommunity.com/ 

Turbine's demonstrated business model in DDO is for developers to "pursue whatever pet project is currently interesting without regard for it's impact on legacy systems or it's sustainability nine months beyond deployment". 

The result of this business model is shit, and it fosters animosity.

I know some people choose to label you "paladin", but I pay attention to you and appreciate that even though you have a higher tolerance for Turbine's slop than I do, you're often critical of turbine when you think it's appropriate.  Having said that, the Sony/Wikileaks comment coming from you is a disappointment.

Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:07am:
I've yet to see an MMO developer that can make it more than 3 or so years without earning scorn for slow content releases, weak content, bugs, nerfs/mechanics changes, lack of consistency with loot, fucked up economy, etc.  All the stuff we bitch about here.

It's true that other MMOs and on-line games have similar complaints.  What seems unique to Turbine is the dismissive attitude that the Turbine developers have toward well constructed and supported customer feedback on their existing and proposed systems.

Also, although I am not in the least impressed by their recent work, I do not believe that any developer takes so little pride in their work (or has so little regard for their career in a talent flooded industry) that they prefer to "shit out garbage" and "crack up" at the player base that buys it/uses it.  That is just an ignorant thing to say.   

You should not need examples of how they shit out garbage, but here's an example of garbage that was shit out and remains shitty even now: CitW.  They were told CitW would suck early enough in its development to do something different, yet they doubled down on keeping it shitty.

Here's another one:  Version Control.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #38 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Find me a player base that is happy with the MMO development company.

Grinding Gear Games

Also, although I am not in the least impressed by their recent work, I do not believe that any developer takes so little pride in their work (or has so little regard for their career in a talent flooded industry) that they prefer to "shit out garbage" and "crack up" at the player base that buys it/uses it.  That is just an ignorant thing to say.

Oh come on. This is The Vault - that's hyperbole and it's funny. You could keep up better if you got the stick out of your ass  Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #39 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:44pm:
Cordovan does not prepare for his videos.  He does not prepare his characters for general play, nor does he prepare them for the particulars of the quests he will run. 

I don't expect Cordovan to play at the highest levels, but he blows off preparation completely.  For example, plays a character with trap functions, but cannot find his Search/Spot/DD/OL gear (and runs out of rogue tools). 

This is not a skill issue, it's an acceptance of slop.

Regarding the dialogue, the "ha ha, tin foil hats" thing was a completely avoidable but very revealing gaff.  He does it often enough for it to be an unambiguous indicator of the regard he has for the playerbase.

Prior to earning a paycheck from Turbine, he hosted the DDOCast (until Podcast #190 (audio only)).  I've listened to some of them, and his commentary was much more sensitive to the player point of view. 

Now, he's pretty dismissive, and it's hard to think it's not a result of his immersion in the Turbine culture.

Fernando's position on the value of addressing customers' perceived needs is no secret.  There's a youtube video where he unambiguously states that "Players will complain but not leave" while giving a presentation about the microtransaction model, and it's been linked here on The Vault as well as well as http://lotrocommunity.com/ 

Turbine's demonstrated business model in DDO is for developers to "pursue whatever pet project is currently interesting without regard for it's impact on legacy systems or it's sustainability nine months beyond deployment". 

The result of this business model is shit, and it fosters animosity.

I know some people choose to label you "paladin", but I pay attention to you and appreciate that even though you have a higher tolerance for Turbine's slop than I do, you're often critical of turbine when you think it's appropriate.  Having said that, the Sony/Wikileaks comment coming from you is a disappointment.

It's true that other MMOs and on-line games have similar complaints.  What seems unique to Turbine is the dismissive attitude that the Turbine developers have toward well constructed and supported customer feedback on their existing and proposed systems.

You should not need examples of how they shit out garbage, but here's an example of garbage that was shit out and remains shitty even now: CitW.  They were told CitW would suck early enough in its development to do something different, yet they doubled down on keeping it shitty.

Here's another one:  Version Control.

Your criticism of Cordovan is legitimate.  Not having rogue tools available or having your gear organized prior to doing a video in public is sloppy and embarrassing.  And it makes the game seem confusing and hard to navigate.  It should look like "No matter how much gear I have, I can have everything at my fingertips with these cool hotbars we have".  Which is actually a benefit over NWO and other MMO's that I have seen recently. 

The criticism that his toon dies or doesn't twitch well or isn't "max dps" are the ones that I disagree with.  He shouldn't be walking around owning content so fast that the user can't follow what is happening.  It is easy, when you have a quest memorized, to run around without even looking where you are going and to spin so quickly you give the audience vertigo and no idea where you just went.  I've taught DDO to 3 of my kids and my wife.  Each time, it required monumental patience to slow down enough for them to follow what is happening.  I did not bumble with my inventory or run out of tools or spell components.  That would just make them even more confused.

I agree with you that Turbine's results are shit.  I agree with you that this is probably due to managerial dysfunction, process dysfunction, and individual employee incompetence.  I do not agree with any concept that it is intentional.  There is no value in intentionally failing. 

Their stance of "we do not bend to customer complaining" is not unique in the software industry.  Sometimes you give the people what they want, but when they want something that is bad for them in the long term, then sometimes you have to say "No".  And most customers will complain, but accept, and move on.  Their handling of this is poor though.  You can't ignore them 100% of the time.  And when you do, you have to make it clear why.  In this, they have failed miserably and created a situation where people actually think they want to fail because they think it is fun to torture the players.  Which is absurd.  But they are so inept that players have a hard time believing anyone could mess up this bad unless they were trying to do so. 

The Wikileaks comment was a joke.  I should have thrown a smiley in there to notate that.  I was making a pop culture reference.  Not trying to be a dick. 

I do not need examples of their shitty performance and sending out garbage.  CiTW is a great example.  Horrible raid.  Just abysmal.  The loot problems from CiTW to High Road to eGH to Storm Horns is another example.  Inconsistency in Bound statuses, random loot vs. non-random.  Upgradable loot vs. EN/EH/EE variants, disappearing prefixes and suffixes, inconsistency with crafting, ML variations, Invalidating loot too quickly.  Turbine has been shit.  And that doesn't even touch bugs, exploits, builds, etc.  In my opinion, since 2012.  3 years running.

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
People don't always get the Smiley... like the one where I called you a paladin... Tongue

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:53pm:
You could keep up better if you got the stick out of your ass  Roll Eyes

And use it to BEAT PEOPLE TO DEATH WITH!!!
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2015 at 5:17pm by Crotch Goblins »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #42 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 5:16pm:
People don't always get the Smiley... like the one where I called you a paladin... Tongue

True story.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #43 - May 12th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 5:04pm:
Your criticism of Cordovan is legitimate.  Not having rogue tools available or having your gear organized prior to doing a video in public is sloppy and embarrassing.  And it makes the game seem confusing and hard to navigate.  It should look like "No matter how much gear I have, I can have everything at my fingertips with these cool hotbars we have".  Which is actually a benefit over NWO and other MMO's that I have seen recently. 

The criticism that his toon dies or doesn't twitch well or isn't "max dps" are the ones that I disagree with.  He shouldn't be walking around owning content so fast that the user can't follow what is happening.  It is easy, when you have a quest memorized, to run around without even looking where you are going and to spin so quickly you give the audience vertigo and no idea where you just went.  I've taught DDO to 3 of my kids and my wife.  Each time, it required monumental patience to slow down enough for them to follow what is happening.  I did not bumble with my inventory or run out of tools or spell components.  That would just make them even more confused.

I agree with you that Turbine's results are shit.  I agree with you that this is probably due to managerial dysfunction, process dysfunction, and individual employee incompetence.  I do not agree with any concept that it is intentional.  There is no value in intentionally failing. 

Their stance of "we do not bend to customer complaining" is not unique in the software industry.  Sometimes you give the people what they want, but when they want something that is bad for them in the long term, then sometimes you have to say "No".  And most customers will complain, but accept, and move on.  Their handling of this is poor though.  You can't ignore them 100% of the time.  And when you do, you have to make it clear why.  In this, they have failed miserably and created a situation where people actually think they want to fail because they think it is fun to torture the players.  Which is absurd.  But they are so inept that players have a hard time believing anyone could mess up this bad unless they were trying to do so. 

The Wikileaks comment was a joke.  I should have thrown a smiley in there to notate that.  I was making a pop culture reference.  Not trying to be a dick. 

I do not need examples of their shitty performance and sending out garbage.  CiTW is a great example.  Horrible raid.  Just abysmal.  The loot problems from CiTW to High Road to eGH to Storm Horns is another example.  Inconsistency in Bound statuses, random loot vs. non-random.  Upgradable loot vs. EN/EH/EE variants, disappearing prefixes and suffixes, inconsistency with crafting, ML variations, Invalidating loot too quickly.  Turbine has been shit.  And that doesn't even touch bugs, exploits, builds, etc.  In my opinion, since 2012.  3 years running.

Asheras, I respect your viewpoints, but I wholeheartedly agree with Old Coaly's comments.
My criticisms of Cordovan are about his professional behaviour.
I don't expect JJ Abrams movie quality from Turdbine, but Cordo's videos look like a two startup trying to get seed funding.  Tolero eating her lunch in the background, His wife cleaning in the background, dogs barking - really?
Your objective in promoting a product is to remove the unnecessary distractions to your message and to feature your product in its best light.

It's okay to go with the everyman appearance in the vids if that is your target demographic, but his dress, his manner, his lack of preparation - they're just not what it should be for an established game company.  I realise this is not all Cordo's fault.  Turdbine have been terrible at promoting the DDO product, so Cordo is doing what he can.  As you acknowledge, the lack of preparation is simply not good enough.  It should look "off the cuff", but it definitely shouldn't be executed that way.  He should plan which content will look best, which toon and gear will look and perform ok in that content.

's comment was along the lines of no matter what we produce, they'll keep paying for it because it is DnD.  This prevailing attitude in Turdbine is that they don't need to bother with advertising, or quality or design excellence - because their will always be schmucks willing to pay for it.
The Paiz's took that attitude to LOTRO and look where it is now.

My beef with Turdbine is in the mismanagement of the wonderful IP they have.  Sure they're dealing with an older game and older code and old hardware.... but the fundamentals of any business is attracting new paying customers, retaining them and rewarding loyalty.
How many of those three can anyone give Turdbine credit for?
Attracting new paying customers
Targeted advertising could bring in heaps of new people.
Combine that with a Korthos revamp and polish (fix the damn intro quest).  Combine that with a quicker startup experience by doing two things/
1. Get some experienced players (the PC even) to redesign the class paths so they're relevant to today's game.
2. Give each new toon an LR20 (BTC) so if a player sticks around and does not like a path, they can change once.

Using the class paths eases the learning curve of the game and gives quicker immersion.

Retaining paying customers
This is more than new content every 3 months (which is pointless if that content is crap).  It is also the quality of life bug fixing.  The really bad ones first.  The meta ones that might see players leave in anger.  Corrupted toons, lost gear/XP/ED's, bugged Hireling AI (new players probably use these the most) etc.
Then the ones that break immersion.
There are some low hanging fruit that defy belief as to why they're not fixed.

Next is to broaden the play experience from just XP grind.  Choose and fix a crafting system, promote it, support it and maintain it.

The TR/ETR system is a good way to extend gameplay, even though it does spread out the player base.

Develop some desirable stuff for people to work towards - something that isn't related to power creep but makes the game easier to enjoy (eg. pot cases, scroll cases, component cases - find a way to make these work).  Yes, they will want to sell them, but make a really cool one that is an earned reward.

Rewarding Loyalty
Turdbine work on the premise that players last no more than 9 months on average.  So what are they doing about it?
What incentives do they offer to help address it?  I can't recall any longevity based rewards.

It shouldn't matter whether you are FtP, Premium or VIP - there should be some incentive to be active in the game.  If you're spending money, even better!  Encourage those long term spenders to stay.

Instead, they just presume that the die-hards will always be there and milk them dry.

So much more to say, can't be bothered as it is all wasted words because Turdbine mgmt and devs are so much smarter than all of us.
Undecided
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2015 at 8:01pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - May 12th, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 5:04pm:
Turbine has been shit.  And that doesn't even touch bugs, exploits, builds, etc.  In my opinion, since 2012.  3 years running.

I agree, but would go back another year. Luckily it took some time for them to completely ruin ddo, but even a great game couldn't withstand their onslaught of incompetence.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - May 12th, 2015 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 7:56pm:
Instead, they just presume that the die-hards will always be there and milk them dry.

Not presume. They have historical data showing just that. It has been alluded by others and outright said by maj this was the case.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #46 - May 12th, 2015 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 8:57pm:
Not presume. They have historical data showing just that. It has been alluded by others and outright said by maj this was the case.

Yeah. 

I'm still here.  I whine a bit, but I'm still here.

But I'm not really spending money anymore.*

DDO is my first MMO, and will likely be my last.  So I will stay until the bitter end.

I also watched all of Heroes, so... yeah.

*Except for new Monster Manual volumes.  I said I would buy them as they came out, and I do.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #47 - May 12th, 2015 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 8:57pm:

If this is indeed the case, then the best we can hope is for WotC to issue a license for another DnD-based MMO so we can all jump ship.

Let these pedants and arrogant sycophants learn the hard way that sometimes, the cost being "Right" means you lose.

Let their data pay their rent and stand with them in the Unemployment line.

Hopefully, the new developer will take notes and build on some of DDO's unrealized potential:

- Nigh-legendary and universally recognized IP with amazing fan loyalty
- Action-RPG, but more than Hack n' Slash (at least it used to be)
- Enormous build flexibility
- Traps that are actually dangerous
- Immersive environment with massive wealth of lore in multiple settings
- Tasteful treatment of body types and weaponry (not WoW-esque Anime BS) and
- Impressive but plausible visual effects.

A brother can dream, right?  Cry
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2015 at 10:43pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #48 - May 13th, 2015 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 10:40pm:
A brother can dream, right?  Cry

Don't do it!  It won't end well.
You'll end up bitter and twisted like the rest of us....
Once, long ago, we had optimism too....
Until our little candle of hope was snuffed out by a big Turdbine fart.

And just like TOEE, we sit in the dark and get crapped on.

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - May 13th, 2015 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Hmm, Maybe the Epic Vale, will be just 1 Giant Floating ass that craps out demons... umm shit demons at us... (this is a joke, turbine do not do this)
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2015 at 12:36am by Crotch Goblins »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint