Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Running DDO on a Potato (Read 8766 times)
OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Running DDO on a Potato
Sep 29th, 2015 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
This thread about Game really twitchy/not smooth  has motivated me to try to find out how close to a bare potato you can get and run DDO smoothly.

There's a lot of advice thrown around without any testing, and since "without any testing" is Turbine's M.O., I thought it appropriate to try to find out through testing what mattered.

The wiki claims that the requirements are:
- O.S.: Windows® XP
- Processor: P4 1.6 GHz or AMD equivalent with SSE
- Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Graphics 64 MB Hardware T&L -compatible video card
- Renderer: DirectX® 9.0c
- Disc Space: 11GB available

As potatoes go, this would be pretty grim.  I don't have anything this low end, but I was able to get something not much better put together.

Potato Specs:
- Athlon A64-3700+ Single Core 2.2ghz CPU
- Windows 7 32bit
- ST3160812AS 160gb mechanical hard drive
- NVidia 8400GS Video card
- 1080p primary display (for DDO), 1280x1024 secondary (for monitoring system parameters)

On the main monitor I ran DDO in full screen windowed mode so that I could mouse over to the second monitor.  On the second monitor I kept PerfMon (to monitor pagefile %usage and %usage peak), DBC Task Manager (which is pretty nice if you’re not using Win8 or Win10), and sometimes the AMD System Monitor (because it’s graph display of memory allocation is easy to interpret at a glance).

I tried running this with 1gb of ram.  It was unusable.  The machine did start up and eventually got to a desktop, but it was paging so vigorously that starting up TaskManager took minutes.  Don’t try this with 1gb of RAM

With 2gb of RAM, this machine is almost capable of running DDO, however even at low resolution and with graphics the detail turned way down, framerates were still very low, and instances such as Market with lots of things to be drawn really slowed to a crawl.

- Load times were terrible.  Excruciating if you've ever played using an SSD.
- CPU utilization was always pegged (but not in the sort of "pegging" that gets the attention of Feather-of-suck)
- RAM utilization was as close to 100% as Windows will allow.
- Page File %Usage climbed to a Peak of 56%

Copying the DDO program folder to and running it from a generic USB2 SD card increased the amount of time needed to start the client by a small amount, but greatly reduced instance load times.  Watching the Task Manager during load screens it was easy to predict that this would be the case because it would show the drive utilization at 100%, but transfers were nowhere near the drive’s pathetic potential.  This meant that the bottleneck wasn’t transfer rate, but rather the random access time.

Further attempts to play DDO from the mechanical drive were not made.

Replacing the 8400GS with a Radeon 6850 resulted in framerates improving significantly.  At 1920x1080 Windowed, using whatever “Detect Optimal” selected, the game was much smoother.  Framerates stayed above 30fps in most places, and the game was generally playable when played from the SD card.  Lowering the resolution improved framerates.

Some areas with long draw distances brought framerates to the low teens, but it’s not news that standing in front of the market bank, facing the door gives much higher framerates than standing in the same place and facing the bridge.  This effect is even more pronounced in The Black Loch’s end fight.

Adding another 1gb of RAM to the potato made a significant difference as well.  With 3gb, CPU usage was still 100%, and Ram utilization climbed to 2.8gb, but the PageFile %Usage never went above 11.76 (it was at 5% before launching DDO).

Playing DDO in this environment was much smoother.  Framerates did not improve significantly, but movement was more fluid, and effects from combat and the environment were less choppy.  The reason for this is probably that even though the CPU was at 100% as it was with 2gb RAM, because the system wasn’t using CPU time to swap to the PageFile and wasting CPU time waiting for the mechanical drive to service PageFile requests, there were more CPU resources available for DDO to use. 

The more you upgrade your potato, the better it will play DDO.  However, some upgrades are more efficient than others.

I think the best bang for the buck is to get DDO off of mechanical storage and onto an SSD.  An SSD for Windows and DDO greatly reduces waiting for nearly everything.  Windows boots faster and “settles down” after reaching the desktop faster.  The game loads MUCH faster, and instance loading screens are substantially improved as well. 

Migrating the boot drive of a computer from a mechanical drive to an SSD may be too complicated for some people to handle themselves, and if this is the case for you, picking up a 16gb USB drive and running DDO from that will give you many of the performance benefits for very little effort or expense.  Running DDO from a USB thumb drive won’t address all of the performance penalty of having your PageFile on a mechanical drive, but it does help in that the PageFile drive won’t be busy serving up files to DDO while it’s paging and vice-versa.

After an SSD, upgrade your video card.  You don’t need the most expensive card, but something like the ~$100 R7-260 or GTX750Ti will kick the shit out of any integrated/onboard video.  These two graphics cards are pretty much the lowest end of what should be considered when purchasing a new card.  There are MANY less expensive cards, but they’re not likely to be a significant upgrade from integrated video. 

Third, make sure you’ve got enough RAM that under typical use cases PageFile %PeakUsage remains low.  Don’t guess about it - run Perfmon and see what’s happening while you use the computer.

The last thing I would worry about is the processor if you’ve got something equal to or better than mid-range C2D or Phenom 2.  Even a C2D E4500 (2 cores, 2.2ghz) will run DDO without hitting 100% utilization.

If you’d like to compare your CPU/GPU to what is in the potato I used, here are some references:

Searchable CPU comparison page here.
Searchable GPU comparison page here.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: Running DDO on a Potato
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Sep 29th, 2015 at 1:41pm:
Copying the DDO program folder to and running it from a generic USB2 SD card increased the amount of time needed to start the client by a small amount, but greatly reduced instance load times.  Watching the Task Manager during load screens it was easy to predict that this would be the case because it would show the drive utilization at 100%, but transfers were nowhere near the drive’s pathetic potential.  This meant that the bottleneck wasn’t transfer rate, but rather the random access time.

If I ever get around to playing again, I've seriously considered trying this.

Overall some good pointers.  Good job.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Your issue is windows 7, XP will run circles around 7 on a barebones.

I am unsure if xp supports running a cheap usb drive though.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Yeah.  The OS footprint is much different for 7 vs. XP.

It is interesting the difference of the SSD.  I always focused on video card and RAM.  I always felt main processor was overrated for DDO purposes.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Sep 29th, 2015 at 7:00pm:
Your issue is windows 7, XP will run circles around 7 on a barebones.

I am unsure if xp supports running a cheap usb drive though.

XP is a non starter.  No updates means it's not an option for a task that must connect to the internet.

they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post  

Shitty laptop i have laying around:

O.S: Win XP
Processor - AMD E-300, runs at 1.3 ghz, slightly under the minimum, but meh.
Memory - 1 GB Ram
Graphics: AMD HD 6310
Directx 9.0c

Game is almost unplayable in parties, by almost i mean i lag behind the squad about 10 mins during big boss fights/intensive areas. Modified graphics to lower than the games options allow.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
On the topic of OS.  I've sometimes run DDO in a VM with 1 core and 2 GB ram, and it does okay.  Guest OS actually plays a large part in performance.  Win 7 is slow, but 8/8.1 (and probably 10) are much faster.  I don't really know if that translates to host OS performance differences.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Sep 29th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
On the topic of OS.  I've sometimes run DDO in a VM with 1 core and 2 GB ram, and it does okay.  Guest OS actually plays a large part in performance.  Win 7 is slow, but 8/8.1 (and probably 10) are much faster.  I don't really know if that translates to host OS performance differences. 

The 2gb RAM constraint of the VM doesn't reflect the performance of a system with only 2gb, unless you're not caching the VM's  PageFile access through the VM's host.

If you'd like, I can re-run this with Win10 as the OS, but having run Win10 on some C2Ds with 1gb, 1.5gb, 2gb, and 4gb, I doubt the results will be much different.

IP Logged

toaf
Waterworks Kobold

fuck you Jerrry

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 1:50am
Print Post  
it runs good on my surface pro 2 and my old one

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I have the worst PC ever.
E 6750 C2D, 2 gigs, 2 x 150 raptors, Radeon 2600 XT ( had 8800 GTX before ). Hey, it was good 8 years ago.

And XP. Ddo on 1280 x 1024, medium, maybe 30 seconds character load times, would crash if I swap toons more than 5 times. Can Bandicam with 30 fps in game.

After my 8800 gtx died, I kinda didn't give a fuck, should get new pc though. But hey, I play 10 year old games anyway.
So yeah, you can run ddo on potato.

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2015 at 12:00pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 11:26am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Sep 29th, 2015 at 7:59pm:
XP is a non starter.  No updates means it's not an option for a task that must connect to the internet.

While I agree, 12.4% of all computers still run XP.  It is still the second most common operating system in the world, behind Windows 7 at 57%.  Even though the product is over 13 years old and support for XP ended almost 18 months ago. 

One of the things that sucks about being a software developer is legacy support.  Browser support for web apps is even more enjoyable.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 30th, 2015 at 10:52am:
I have the worst PC ever.
E 6750 C2D, 2 gigs, 2 x 150 raptors, Radeon 2600 XT ( had 8800 GTX before ). Hey, it was good 8 years ago.

And XP. Ddo on 1280 x 1024, medium, maybe 30 seconds character load times, would crash if I swap toons more than 5 times. Can Bandicam with 30 fps in game.

After my 8800 gtx died, I kinda didn't give a fuck, should get new pc though. But hey, I play 10 year old games anyway.
So yeah, you can run ddo on potato.

Spend $20 for two more gig of RAM and you'll be a lot happier.  Your C2D is about 3 times as fast as the potato I tested with.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
This effect is even more pronounced in The Black Loch’s end fight.

Disable Post Processing if you haven't done it...

Black Lock ship room will cripple the FPS of all the rigs people have except for the few that have an overclocked watercooled rig with dual Titans.

Normal FPS for my PC : 200ish.. in Black Lock laround 20 if I have post processing enabled. And if I have fucking stuff like AMD Gaming Evolved open at the same time it's 2FPS.
( so also kill every background shit that you do not use, even if they don't look like they will hinder your performances, for the AMD thing I put it on the the fact that you can capture as a movie your play session with it )

Rig :
Core i5-4550
MSI Gaming 5 Mainboard
8GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 280 Graphic Card
SSD driven ( 4 Intel SSD  ( 2* 160 and 2*180Gb ) for general use + 1 Caviar Blue  ( 2Tb ) for storage. )

and to think that initially I was able to play DDO on my Sony VAIO T2XP/S ( Celeron 1.2 GHz, 512Mb RAM, Shared RAM for Video ), ok it wasn't great, but at the lowest setting it was ( barely ) playable... which was good since I had bought the thing to use when travelling in place of the 6Kg work laptop I was given. ( that didn't have much better performances anyway )
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2015 at 2:04pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 30th, 2015 at 11:26am:
Browser support for web apps is even more enjoyable. 

Cheesy

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
shitty coding
shitty shitty coding
BLACK LOCH worst coded cavern in game
pile of shit code

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #15 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
CosmicCharlie wrote on Sep 30th, 2015 at 4:58pm:
shitty coding
shitty shitty coding
BLACK LOCH worst coded cavern in game
pile of shit code

I have run that quest maybe 2 or 3 times in the 5 years it has been out.  I don't recall anything awful about it, but then, it has probably been a year or more since I ran it, so who knows.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Old Coaly still my PC Hero.

Still need to try ruining DDO from a thumb drive.

And I wrote "ruining" intentionally this time.   Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2015 at 5:16pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #17 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 5:46am
Print Post  
This thread about [url=http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1437963917/0]

As potatoes go, this would be pretty grim.  I don't have anything this low end, but I was able to get something not much better put together.

Potato Specs:
- Athlon A64-3700+ Single Core 2.2ghz CPU
- Windows 7 32bit
- ST3160812AS 160gb mechanical hard drive
- NVidia 8400GS Video card
- 1080p primary display (for DDO), 1280x1024 secondary (for monitoring system parameters)

For comparison, ~4 years ago I was able to run the game reliably on a netbook with Windows 7 starter 32 bit, 1 gb ram, no graphics card, and a cell phone processor. Lag was existent, but the game was playable on low graphics...only really ever got crippled in The Shroud. Obviously this rig is no longer up to the task.

So, to the people that think "hey this game is ancient, I should be able to play it on an ancient computer.": No, the game gets bigger every update, so if you shoot for the minimum specs it will soon be frustrating and then unplayable over time (especially on 32 bit OS) .

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint