Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Game really twitchy/not smooth (Read 16457 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Game really twitchy/not smooth
Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I'm not really sure how to describe this, but for me the game is really not smooth. I stopped playing for a while because of this(and being burned out) but now I'm back and would like a smooth experience.

Basically, when I try to start moving fast, the game pauses for brief but crucial moments, making it basically unplayable. Anyone know a fix?

System specs:
Win7
dual-core 3.4ghz CPU
4GB RAM
Geforce 650GTX

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Ginger_Walri
Titan Demolisher

Fire. Die In It.

Re: Game really twitchy/not smooth
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Uninstall

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
What have you done so far to isolate the issue Naomineo?
Turned down the graphics quality settings?
Changed down resolution?
Checked the game engine speed setting?
Checked the Internet connection speed setting?
Check your memory footprint to see if you're running out of RAM and it is writing to slower cache.  4gb should enough, but it depends on your settings and other programs.
Can you stop all other programs?
Check your antivirus settings.
Switch between full screen and windowed.  Full screen should be better as DDO will have processor priority.

As an aside, I've noticed in the last 12 months or so a similar issue on my laptop.  Used to be able to play it fine, but then it started to get really clunky.
I found I have to close nearly everything else for DDO to work.
My laptop hasn't changed, nor have my settings.
DDO seems to need more memory these days - probably from around the time of Akamai or some new memory leak bug.
The stuttering happens to soon to be a memory leak, and I'm not opening the store, so the Akamai crape are shouldn't be going bonkers either.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
After setting up a new 60Hz monitor in 4K resolution and installing Windows 10 Enterprise, i too had a twitching/non-smooth experience. FPS was jumping from 30s to 60s.

I cranked down DirectX to 9 and the FPS went crazy uphill, up to 220s.
No graphics difference that i have noticed so far.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:01pm by Halfmaniac »  

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Halfmaniac wrote on Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:59pm:
After setting up a new 60Hz monitor in 4K resolution and installing Windows 10 Enterprise, i too had a twitching/non-smooth experience. FPS was jumping from 30s to 60s.

I cranked down DirectX to 9 and the FPS went crazy uphill, up to 220s.

Good point Neko, I just assumed everyone played in Dx9, as Dx10 and 11 have been problematic for years.

Any graphics related issue, try Dx9 first if you aren't already.

IP Logged

ThereIsNoSpoon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Could just be a general server issue.  My main server has been doing that every day since around Thursday.  Visited G-land today and it seemed that 50% of people responding said they were having issues with lag.  Maybe the work they are doing tomorrow will help things (yeah right), but they are moving the servers to new upgraded ones in a database center in New Jersey sometime in the Fall.  Assuming it'll be at the same time as LotRO, it will happen in September.  That should be an improvement for everyone (except when they fuck it up, and they will).

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:37pm:
What have you done so far to isolate the issue Naomineo?
Turned down the graphics quality settings?
Changed down resolution?
Checked the game engine speed setting?
Checked the Internet connection speed setting?
Check your memory footprint to see if you're running out of RAM and it is writing to slower cache.  4gb should enough, but it depends on your settings and other programs.
Can you stop all other programs?
Check your antivirus settings.
Switch between full screen and windowed.  Full screen should be better as DDO will have processor priority.

As an aside, I've noticed in the last 12 months or so a similar issue on my laptop.  Used to be able to play it fine, but then it started to get really clunky.
I found I have to close nearly everything else for DDO to work.
My laptop hasn't changed, nor have my settings.
DDO seems to need more memory these days - probably from around the time of Akamai or some new memory leak bug.
The stuttering happens to soon to be a memory leak, and I'm not opening the store, so the Akamai crape are shouldn't be going bonkers either.

Switching graphics settings around doesn't help much, when I first launched after my recent hiatus, game was at 800x600 and twitchy as hell - if anything, turning the resolution up helped.

I have the engine speed set to Very High and Frame Rate of Infinity. As far as I know these are default settings - didn't even know they existed.

Internet Connection is set to Automatic, again never played with it.

Ram may or may not be a factor, theres around 800 megs free, turns out the system is only "seeing" 3.5gb and windows 7 tends to be a bit of a hog.

I have effectively nothing else open. Like nothing. There's a folder and DDO-ML(had to bring it back because of this Akami bullshit). The system is a dedicated gaming machine, has nothing installed besides windows and games(other games run perfectly smoothly) There's not even any tray icons, there's just nothing else to close.

Changing to windowed doesn't make a whole lot of difference, seemed objectively worse.

Not really sure what else to try. I know I've had a few issues with my nVidia drivers lately, actually ended up on some older driver because nothing else would go(and flat out gave up on running through a DVI cable) But the twitchyness is very different from graphical problems...

I have also defaulted all my graphics settings, but that didn't help much. Based on past experiences I've observed that quality settings don't do a whole hell of a lot for problems of this type.

Not really sure what else to try. I was seeing a similar problem on my laptop but had assumed it was just my crappy hard drive giving out. The desktop I'm on now has a pretty intense gaming drive(though not an SSD - if I did have an SSD that's what I'd assume was causing this problem Tongue)

So, yeah, still at square one. It may actually be my drivers, but frankly I'm hesitant to try after spending an entire afternoon getting any driver to function...

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
yep, today was bit laggy - and I m not getting lag usually.

anyway last time I complained about game being twitchy - it seemed like having short lag when I moved fast, making my toon stop for a moment - I discovered fault was on my side - contact on forward button on my pad I was using was ruined:) I replaced button with another one and lag was gone:)

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:14pm:
Good point Neko, I just assumed everyone played in Dx9, as Dx10 and 11 have been problematic for years.

Any graphics related issue, try Dx9 first if you aren't already.

That one may have done the trick. I'll have to tinker a bit more but it definitely seems to he helping. Thanks Neko!!

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:04am
Print Post  
have you tried playing on a lower difficulty setting

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:43am
Print Post  
CosmicCharlie wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:04am:

You are such a biatch Cosmic.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Stupid questions below ...

Do you use silly things like Raptr ( ok, it's an AMD thingie, but the equivalent probably exists on the Geforce ) ?
Because I noticed that when Rapter is on on my PC my FPs is divided by 10. ( and I start crawling through Stormreach )

I think Overwolf does it too.... but I'm not certain.

First thing to do anyway : put DDO in DX9 mode. this raises a lot the FPS.

Second thing : reinstall Windows ( and everything else ).... Windows 7 support 64 bits, if you see only 3.5GB of RAM you are NOT in 64 bits.
Now the tricky part : what kind of dual core CPU and what kind of motherboard ?

Old Pentium D and First/Second Generation Cores don't have enough bandwidth in the PCIe bus anymore to handle DDO lag free.

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2015 at 3:41am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Halfmaniac wrote on Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:59pm:
I cranked down DirectX to 9 ...

There are actually some minor changes with DX9 vs DX11, from my experience. Mainly, in DX9, you can *see* secret doors, traps, etc.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:34am
Print Post  
try removing all unnecessary things from the game such as shadows. Just go to advanced video settings from the in game menu and uncheck/lower everything you deem you can live without. You can hover with your mouse on the option for a brief explanation of what that setting actually does.

This should make the game a bit less graphically appealing but also improve stability and reduce in game lag and one second freeze. Notice that you will still lag cause turdbine uses a field of potatoes as servers (it's their idea of server farm)

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:52am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:34am:
try removing all unnecessary things from the game such as shadows. Just go to advanced video settings from the in game menu and uncheck/lower everything you deem you can live without. You can hover with your mouse on the option for a brief explanation of what that setting actually does.

This should make the game a bit less graphically appealing but also improve stability and reduce in game lag and one second freeze. Notice that you will still lag cause turdbine uses a field of potatoes as servers (it's their idea of server farm)
the game.

Corrected it.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 6:12am
Print Post  
CosmicCharlie wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:04am:

This could actually work, given a lower difficulty setting means less critters, which means less strain on the machine. That said, given the always-worsening memory leaks present in DDO, you'll probably want another RAM stick so you can hold up for longer.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 6:13am
Print Post  
CosmicCharlie wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:52am:
Corrected it.

mmmmmm

DropBear wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:43am:
You are such a biatch Cosmic.    Roll Eyes

LOL  Grin

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 3:40am:
Old Pentium D and First/Second Generation Cores don't have enough bandwidth in the PCIe bus anymore to handle DDO lag free.

False as a general statement.

I spent several hours Sunday afternoon validating DDO performance on Windows 10 using an old Core2Duo E4500 (2.2ghz) with 4gig ram and an old ATI 5770 graphics card.  No SSD in the machine, but I did run DDO from an SD card which was much faster than the mechanical drive.

Running DDO with "optimal settings" as determined by DDO in 1280x1024 Windowed mode on the main monitor with Task Manager and a Youtube video playing on the second monitor, game play was smooth and frame rates did not drop below 40.

I was paying attention to frame rates using DDO's in-built frame rate display option (ctrl-F displays frame rate) and watching the performance metrics that Win10's task manager displays.  During game play, the system always had a little headroom.

I did play DDO from the machine's old 80gig mechanical drive, but the load screens took way too long to finish and there was consistently a half-second of very irritating stutter after the load screen finished that went away when I played from the $20 MicroSD card.

The OP's system specs should outperform the platform I was testing pretty handily.  Passmark indicates his GPU to be at least 10% faster.

noamineo wrote on Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:52pm:
Ram may or may not be a factor, theres around 800 megs free, turns out the system is only "seeing" 3.5gb and windows 7 tends to be a bit of a hog.

RAM shouldn't be a factor.  Windows may be "seeing" less than 4gig if there's on-board video that has some video allocated to it (this may be true even if you're not using the on-board video). 

Windows will use as much RAM as it can, and this is good.  Unused RAM is wasted.  Windows will load as much of whatever it thinks you're using or about to use into whatever RAM it can find because accessing data from RAM is orders of magnitude faster than getting it from a spinning platter.

You can use Resource Monitor to see what tasks are using the most memory, and more importantly how much of which programs are being swapped to disk.  Adding RAM to a system that isn't swapping to disk can improve performance, but not as much as reducing the need to swap.

noamineo wrote on Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:52pm:
Not really sure what else to try. I was seeing a similar problem on my laptop but had assumed it was just my crappy hard drive giving out. The desktop I'm on now has a pretty intense gaming drive(though not an SSD - if I did have an SSD that's what I'd assume was causing this problem )

SSD are very reliable.  Much more than mechanical drives.  There is no "pretty intense gaming drive" that can get close to the performance or reliability of even a mid-range SSD.

Your mechanical drive is throttling the performance of the rest of your machine. 

DDO's "read lots of tiny files from all over" engine suffers greatly from a mechanical drive's comparatively slow random access time which is why DDO will run faster from a $10 16gb USB2.0 thumb drive than it will from a mechanical drive.

This is not to say that that running DDO from a solid state drive of some sort will solve the particular problem you're experiencing, but it'll certainly make DDO engine run less badly.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

archon
Korthos Resident

Hugs! Not Drugs!

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 11:48am
Print Post  
1. Uninstall Akamai netsession.  or whatever ddo is currently using for the installer/updater.

2. See if you can get away with killing the "awesomium" processes when ddo starts.  I used to, but I don't think you can anymore... the last time I tried it took down the game client also.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Old Coaly might have become my computer hero with this.

Now I gotta try ruining DDO from a thumb-drive.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #20 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 12:39pm:
Old Coaly might have become my computer hero with this.

Now I gotta try ruining DDO from a thumb-drive.

Make sure it's a USB 3.0 drive AND that it's inserted into a USB 3.0 port.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #21 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 10:45am:
old ATI 5770

They're not *that* old.  Sad  Two or three in SLI sure helps though.

All the rest is right - DDO is shit on a platter.  Their texture loading is a mess.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #22 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:19pm:
They're not *that* old..

The 5770s were born in Sept or Oct of 2009.

They've been around longer than DDO has been F2P.

Not as old as my oldest underwear, but still pretty far from new.  Smiley

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 2:02pm:
The 5770s were born in Sept or Oct of 2009.

Yeah, that's when I bought mine.   Grin

One of them's dying, so I just swapped slots.  Yay for displaying through a single point.

The drivers are shit though (to the surprise of no-one), and now the GPL fight's started back up again, so you can't even compile them locally without kernel edits.  Stupid.  I hate Nvidia, but ATI's even worse in some ways.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #24 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:19pm:
Their texture loading is a mess.

Yeah, that's the whole fucking issue with DDO loading, double Loading and Red Link/Yellow Link...

Well, the main issue is that the DAT files are a fucking mess, the stuff in them is not sorted at all and the fucking search in the files is seml-sequential.
( I let you guess what happens when the game is looking for the last thing in the file [ which by the way is usually something new, or recently modified ] )

OldCoaly wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 10:45am:
False as a general statement.

It's all going to depend on the mainboard. Core2 are 3 generations after Pentium D, they have PCI-E 2.0 so the bandwidth on the bus is still relatively good enough....
Pentium D with PCI-E 1.1 Mainboards are definitely not good enough anymore.

The graphic card doesn't matter much unless you're starting to be creative with DDO  ( read : dual or triple screen ), the load is on the CPU and the PCI-E bus.
( the PCI-E bus is the bottleneck on old systems )
Yes I know the game loads the GPU to overheat values, but it's not because there's too much stuff to do... It's because the game has shitty code...

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2015 at 2:33pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint