Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Possible renown fix coming (Read 8462 times)
somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Possible renown fix coming
May 17th, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/474557-The-latest-on-lag-and-game-perf...

We are in the process of getting out a patch that will hopefully include a fix to guild renown lag. Since gauging our success in fixing the issue is challenging outside of the real, live world environment, we don't want to say we've fixed it until we hear from you that it's fixed and seen it ourselves while running things like Legendary Shroud. That said, we - think - we've discovered and corrected the issue, which involved sluggish guild renown SQL communication in our virtualized environment.

If all goes according to plan, the patch will be out later this week, and will include a few other additions like the two new enhancements to the Fighter Kensei tree. We'll have more info, including a downtime announcement and release notes, as we get things confirmed in the next 24-48 hours.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: Possible renown fix coming
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2016 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
EH and EE DoJ, here I come!

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2016 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I wonder... how much could it cost turbine to higher some minimum-wage scrub to come in and do nothing but play DDO all day. 8 hours pay, computer, WIP sub, maybe comp some TP... and do nothing but play the game and report on the state of things like lag. What would that cost? 20, 30K a year, all in? And then they'd have someone on staff who's sole duty is to actually know what its like to play the game?

Strange notions, I'm sure.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2016 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
20 or 30K to play DDO all day AND have to deal with Turbine's crappy office practices/politics?

No fucking way!

They'd have to pay me double or even triple that!

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2016 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 4:20pm:
I wonder... how much could it cost turbine to higher some minimum-wage scrub to come in and do nothing but play DDO all day. 8 hours pay, computer, WIP sub, maybe comp some TP... and do nothing but play the game and report on the state of things like lag. What would that cost? 20, 30K a year, all in? And then they'd have someone on staff who's sole duty is to actually know what its like to play the game?

They could probably find a couple helpful fanboys who would do it for turbine points and a belly scratch from a Dev.

There are plenty of guys smoking pot in their moms basement who would say "Whoa, minimum wage to play video games all day, sign me up!"

No offense to any of you who are reading this while smoking pot in your moms basement.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 4:42pm:
They could probably find a couple helpful fanboys who would do it for turbine points and a belly scratch from a Dev.

There are plenty of guys smoking pot in their moms basement who would say "Whoa, minimum wage to play video games all day, sign me up!"

No offense to any of you who are reading this while smoking pot in your moms basement.

Lol if I were running an MMO I think I'd do that. Basically a "You get a free sub and 8 hours pay per day, you must be online and playing during these times, and available at a moment's notice(during these times) to answer questions. Maybe throw in some kind of daily log/report. Its anecdotal, but I don't think there's a better way to get real feedback on player experience.

Of course, if I were running an MMO< I'd also force my devs to play for a few hours a week. No live streams, no special privileges, a literal "here is your normal player account, experience the game you created for the rest of the afternoon" Seems like it'd be a "fun" friday thing.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2016 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 5:23pm:
Its anecdotal, but I don't think there's a better way to get real feedback on player experience.

They already get all kinds of anecdotal feedback on things that are broken about the game.  They even have multiple venues for this.  Bug reports, forums, twitter, facebook, their cs people, and probably a few I've missed.  If they can't find the root cause of a problem with literally dozens of people telling them what it impact on game play is (as in the renown lag), they are either not looking very hard or they are simply incompetent.  And if they are not looking very hard, they are incompetent.

Quote:
we - think - we've discovered and corrected the issue, which involved sluggish guild renown SQL communication in our virtualized environment.

Whoever their DBA is, they should be fired.  70+ days to discover that you have SQL issues is about 60 too many to be considered competent.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2016 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 10:11pm:
Whoever their DBA is

Flawed assumption. They don't have a DBA.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2016 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 2:31am:
Flawed assumption. They don't have a DBA.

Made all the more amazing that they have DB based game...

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2016 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 10:11pm:
Whoever their DBA is, they should be fired.  70+ days to discover that you have SQL issues is about 60 too many to be considered competent.

Renown lag has been a problem far longer than 70 days.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2016 at 5:49am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 3:29am:
Renown lag has been a problem far longer than 70 days.

Depends on how many times you include potato when you count.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 5:49am:
Depends on how many times you include potato when you count.

If it weren't for potato they probably couldn't count at all.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2016 at 11:09am
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 4:42pm:

Right...Any this is a guy who will be responsible to provide clear feedback, to fill out forms properly and to do it on time?

You'll probably get "DUDE - we were running a TR train and then I had to go to my friends house, my bad, I forgot."

And "Hey man, I have this great idea. Let's add a naked quest"

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2016 at 11:35am
Print Post  
No need to hire a poor soul to play DDO 8h/day, just give rewards to bug reports.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #14 - May 18th, 2016 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
DnD wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 11:35am:
No need to hire a poor soul to play DDO 8h/day, just give rewards to read the bug reports.

FTFY

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - May 18th, 2016 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 3:25am:
Made all the more amazing that they have DB based game...

They had one... long ago,... it got fired during one of the (early ) layoff rounds... Since then lots of scary SQL issues have cropped up after updates that have never been addressed.

But getting a good DBA costs a lot of money, so they make do with the guy that played with LAMP based web forums and knows a few tricks in MYSQL.
( which don't translate well in MS SQL server, so he has to spend time tinkering until het think he has the thing right )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - May 18th, 2016 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
DBAs are in high demand everywhere. Turbine can't afford one, obviously. So, rather than bring in an expensive consultant(who will probably alternate between laughing and praying when he sees their DB) they just leave it to somebody else to tinker with. That's the scary thing about DBs: they LOOK so simple that a lot of management types can't wrap their heads around why DBA is such a vital job.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - May 18th, 2016 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 4:20pm:

No, you don't want the guy to be on staff.  You want him as physically far away as possible.  Otherwise, Cordo might eat him.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - May 18th, 2016 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 4:51pm:
No, you don't want the guy to be on staff.  You want him as physically far away as possible.  Otherwise, Cordo might eat him.

I feel like that means you don't want Cordo on staff... then you can have a DBA. He'd probably have better ideas for the game, too.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - May 18th, 2016 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 1:26pm:
But getting a good DBA costs a lot of money, so they make do with the guy that played with LAMP based web forums and knows a few tricks in MYSQL.
( which don't translate well in MS SQL server, so he has to spend time tinkering until het think he has the thing right )

It doesn't take all that much money to get a good DBA.  Under 100k gets you ones who don't need 70 days to find an issue.  But you still need a DBA.  If you have a guy with a pile of job hats and one of them is 'take a look at the SQL servers every once in a while' then you've set yourself up for this kind of situation.  Especially if taking a look at the SQL servers isn't something he is evaluated on for performance reviews.  A situation which will repeat itself over and over, since they are probably giving high fives to the guy who just finally decided to spend a full work day looking into it and found the problem, instead of asking themselves why they don't have someone with that as a full time or at least a priority job duty.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #20 - May 19th, 2016 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 8:51pm:
A situation which will repeat itself over and over, since they are probably giving high fives to the guy who just finally decided to spend a full work day looking into it and found the problem, instead of asking themselves why they don't have someone with that as a full time or at least a priority job duty.

Silly peasant. 

Turbine doesn't need a full time DBA because their environment is different, and as simple peasant customers, we will never be able to understand.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #21 - May 19th, 2016 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 18th, 2016 at 8:51pm:
It doesn't take all that much money to get a good DBA.  Under 100k gets you ones who don't need 70 days to find an issue.  But you still need a DBA.  If you have a guy with a pile of job hats and one of them is 'take a look at the SQL servers every once in a while' then you've set yourself up for this kind of situation.  Especially if taking a look at the SQL servers isn't something he is evaluated on for performance reviews.  A situation which will repeat itself over and over, since they are probably giving high fives to the guy who just finally decided to spend a full work day looking into it and found the problem, instead of asking themselves why they don't have someone with that as a full time or at least a priority job duty.

Depends on where you live.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #22 - May 19th, 2016 at 9:56am
Print Post  
A DBA from Hyderabad can be found pretty cheap, is far from Boston, can work on the live system (preferred by Turbine) during non-peak times.  All sounds positive to me.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #23 - May 19th, 2016 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Toke wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 9:56am:
A DBA from Hyderabad can be found pretty cheap, is far from Boston, can work on the live system (preferred by Turbine) during non-peak times.  All sounds positive to me.

That's not a DBA in Hyderabad.  It's a scam.  Might as well flush your money down the toilet.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - May 19th, 2016 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 9:02am:
Depends on where you live.

I live in one of the highest paid areas of the US, and still <$100k gets you a competent DBA.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint