Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) ROS still worth getting? (Read 26573 times)
spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Re: ROS still worth getting?
Reply #50 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 4:11pm:
Some quick googling indicates that they were a DDO player and most of their posts on the motherboards seem to be related to loot drops and drop rates.  The timestamps on those posts show they were well before the time I started playing DDO though.   

Can you provide the summary of why he is relevant to this?

He received a permaban for exploring the loot tables. You can probably find some of his applicable posts on this forum.

Now they may have changed things but based on my recollection of his posts and findings I don't think there's a character seed or way to nerf character loot rates.

Some of the speculation about drop rates is probably some combo of confirmation bias and a few other biases.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #51 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
spathic wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 5:31pm:
He received a permaban for exploring the loot tables. You can probably find some of his applicable posts on this forum.

Now they may have changed things but based on my recollection of his posts and findings I don't think there's a character seed or way to nerf character loot rates.

Some of the speculation about drop rates is probably some combo of confirmation bias and a few other biases.

If I recall from my time on the motherboards, players have hinted(in reference to him) that there was actualyl a way to view the actual drop rates. Not by doing anything illegal or through any kind of hacking, but something to do with viewing information passing between the servers and the client. Someone had done this, posted rates, and recieved a permaban.

Other players were also banned, and the ones that escaped learned that any real talk of the drop rates would result in swift retribution, even hinting that there WAS a way to view the rates required not a small amount of innuendo and double-speak.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #52 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
spathic wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 5:31pm:

noamineo wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 6:40pm:
If I recall from my time on the motherboards, players have hinted(in reference to him) that there was actualyl a way to view the actual drop rates. Not by doing anything illegal or through any kind of hacking, but something to do with viewing information passing between the servers and the client. Someone had done this, posted rates, and recieved a permaban.

Other players were also banned, and the ones that escaped learned that any real talk of the drop rates would result in swift retribution, even hinting that there WAS a way to view the rates required not a small amount of innuendo and double-speak.

Interesting.   Thanks for the info and history lesson. 

I still maintain that the ransack code indicates that they can and do have a way to manipulate drop rates per character and the /quest completion command is proof of the ability to track total completions.   Wouldn't be too hard even for Turbine to have combined the functionality of those.   Lots of code has changed since 2011.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #53 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:57pm:
I still maintain that the ransack code indicates that they can and do have a way to manipulate drop rates per character and the /quest completion command is proof of the ability to track total completions.   Wouldn't be too hard even for Turbine to have combined the functionality of those.   Lots of code has changed since 2011.

I don't deny your conclusions. They could very definitely modify drop-rates in a per-character basis.

I guess the question is why would they? I can easily back you on it being possible, I just can't think of a single application that doesn't call for the mother of all tinfoil hats

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #54 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 8:26pm:
I don't deny your conclusions. They could very definitely modify drop-rates in a per-character basis.

I guess the question is why would they? I can easily back you on it being possible, I just can't think of a single application that doesn't call for the mother of all tinfoil hats

Anti-farming.  Obviously Turbine doesn't like people being able to quickly farm the named loot or we wouldn't have ransack coding in the first place.

Second and more likely explanation:  It's Turbine.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #55 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Rodrak was around here some time ago. But he is not anymore for almost a year.
He was extracting and posting the actual loot rates from the game files. One of his last posts:

Rodrak wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:16am:
The Fall of Truth

End chest
100% 1d2+1 coh (1d2/1 EH/EN)
10% Items 1 (same EH/EN)
10% Items 2 (same EH/EN)

Items 1 (same chances on EE/EH/EN except the items are more or less upgraded):
15% each for rebellion, dreampiercer, braisingstar, skybreaker, tablecloth, armbands
10% tomes subtable

Items 2:
15% each for ring of deceit, gauntlets, pendant, halcyon boots, idol, madstone aegis
10% tomes subtable

Tomes subtable:
20% tomes +4 subtable (same on EH/EN)
5% tomes +5 subtable (none on EH/EN)
75% draconic soul gem (none on EH/EN)

Tomes +4 subtable (same on EE/EH/EN):
15% for each +4 tome
4% tome of fate +1
1% tome of fate +2
5% violet galatinous cube

Tomes +5 subtable (EE only):
15% for each +5 tome
10% violet gelatinous cube

Mask of Deception

End chest?
36% epic blazing sun (18%/12% EH/EN)
1% mythic blazing sun (0.34%/0.15%)

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #56 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 6:42am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 6:40pm:

Factually wrong. Rodrak made a tool that looked at the content of the DAt files, based on what is commonly available from the AC people. ( it's the same format )

His tool was looking at all the DAT files content.
From what has been hinted and posted, with given a quest number ( you know the Q: in the /loc ) he could get all the Named Boss stats, all the the chests and their loot tables ( normal chests, boss chests and end quest chest(s) ) as well as the reward list.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #57 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:57pm:

They probably do not have that level of tweaking, but I agree that they have flags they can use to raise/lower the chances on a quest by quest basis for the loot on the server side.

We all know that they can toggle XP Bonus on/off and that it's not a set value but a value that they enter in a field in the admin client. ( who remember when the intern fucked up the change and quests gave 10% of the XPs instead of 110% ? )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:17pm:
LOL.  Ok, moron, you're all about the facts and actual data eh?  Time to put up or shut up. 

1% eh?  Let's see those facts.

As usual, little Mookie is arguing all alone with just himself.  Careful kid, you'll go blind if you keep touching yourself like that.

This isn't an argument over the drop rate of the ROSS.  1%, 5%, 1/10%, no one gives a fuck except you, because you simply cannot stop hyper-examining my posts looking desperately for something, anything you can possibly use to try to criticize your Daddy.

We all already know that you're too stupid to use buyback and instead let exclusive gear rot in chests.  We all already know that you claim to have multiple characters at the CC crafting cap because you're too stupid to realize that anything you make will be BTA.  We all already know that you're too stupid.  Hard stop.

And why do we know these things?  Because you told us so.  It's amazing that you're not even the slightest bit ashamed of revealing your own stupidity, but then kids often open their mouths and say shit that makes the adults around them laugh.  But don't worry, little Mookie:  We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you.  Hahaha!

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 10:06am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:37pm:
I love how people still denny the whole trick drop-rating thing.

Yeah, no one's taken the time to do in-depth statistics on that shit, but the anecdotal evidence is a fucking mountain.

Anecdotal evidence is not worth the breath used to utter it.  5k people run a quest.  One person gets the drop they want on the first run.  Their anecdotal evidence is that the quest has a great drop rate.  4,999 people don't get the drop they want after 15 runs.  Their anecdotal evidence is that the quest has a stingy drop rate.

All that adds up to is that a 1% drop rate means that when 5k people run the quest and there are 5 different drops, on average 10 of them will get the drop they want on the very first run.

It's human nature to try to find patterns in things, but that human nature is often just wrong.  There are quests I've run where I've gotten the drop I wanted almost immediately, and quests I've run where I've been there 20 times with no luck.  And that's because of luck, not some evil scheme by Turbine to reward early adopters of packs or VIP players, and to punish people who buy the pack later or don't have a VIP sub.

Can they do it?  Sure.  It's completely possible to do.  Why would they do it is the question to ask.  Making their content obsolete after a few weeks by cutting the drop rate by some amount would seem to be counterproductive.

I tend to disbelieve tin foil hat theories out of hand.  Bush didn't plan 9/11, airplane con trails aren't delivery mechanisms for chemicals, and Hillary isn't running a sex slave ring out of the non-existent basement of a pizza parlor.  Turbine is probably not bothering to adjust their drop rates on a per character or per-time basis, either.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #60 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 10:09pm:
Anti-farming.  Obviously Turbine doesn't like people being able to quickly farm the named loot or we wouldn't have ransack coding in the first place.

Anti-farming is already covered by chest ransack, an easily-coded automatic mechanic. Turning down the drop rates specifically for players who farm would be a nightmare. You'd have to identify them, tell the difference between people "farming" for loot and those just out for XP, and then make adjustments accordingly. Its doable, but it seems like a massive waste of resources, just to curb a behavior that is, ultimately, desirable. Turbine WANTS people farming, it means they're playing the game. They just can't have too much farming, so ransack.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #61 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 10:06am:
5k people run a quest.  One person gets the drop they want on the first run.  Their anecdotal evidence is that the quest has a great drop rate.  4,999 people don't get the drop they want after 15 runs.  Their anecdotal evidence is that the quest has a stingy drop rate.

Thats not "anecdotal evidence". That's statistics.

"Anecdotal evidence" would be hundreds of posts on the motherboards of people saying "I ran this quest hundreds of times and never saw a single named item drop, let alone the item I wanted." Followed up by posts of other people saying "Weird, when I ran the quest right after it came out, I got every item in three runs, including the super special rare item."

The anecdotal evidence is consistent: players, in great numbers, report higher drop rates shortly after a new quest is released, and significantly lower rates a few weeks later. You can argue all you want that because its not hard statistics it can't be true, but the sheer number of people reporting it can't be wrong.

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

before you were born.

Reply #62 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:16am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:06am:

"Anecdotal evidence" would be hundreds of posts on the motherboards of people saying "I ran this quest hundreds of times and never saw a single named item drop, let alone the item I wanted." Followed up by posts of other people saying "Weird, when I ran the quest right after it came out, I got every item in three runs, including the super special rare item."

The anecdotal evidence is consistent: players, in great numbers, report higher drop rates shortly after a new quest is released, and significantly lower rates a few weeks later. You can argue all you want that because its not hard statistics it can't be true, but the sheer number of people reporting it can't be wrong.

It can just because of the self reported nature. The people who report it as a thing may be exactly right; their individual drop experience was 2 in the first 5 runs and then 1 in the next 45.

Unless 100% of people report their drop rates accurately though, you don't see the person who had 0 drops in their first 25 runs, then one each at runs 26, 36 and 50, or the one who had 1 on run 1 and then waited until 49 and 50 for the next drop.

In each case the rate was 3/50 but each of them would have their own reason to think the drop rates are terrible.

And the person who gets a steadier drop rate doesn't post because they just don't want to get shouted down as a Turbine shill.

Edited - My experience on one character from a little my time ago - first run of ADQ - Torc. Same character had to kill the mummy fuckloads of times over multiple lives for the ROSS. Mysterious bauble took about dickety hundred runs. Was about the third run of ToD for the ring I wanted in chest. Pulled exactly one drow weapon ever - think it was a light hammer at that. So my experience is in the middle - sometimes great, sometimes shitty.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:25am by spathic »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:47am
Print Post  
[...]
You can argue all you want that because its not hard statistics it can't be true, but the sheer number of people reporting it can't be wrong.

Yes, they can.  This is why you fail, you fall for populist ideas instead of looking at statistics.

You're seriously using posts on a forum as the basis for your argument?  lol...

Person 1 gets their drop on the first run and makes a post on the forums about it, you read it and this is somehow significant you you.
Persons 2-99 run the same quest and get whatever drops and make no posts.  You have no idea what they experienced.
Person 100 runs the quest 50 times and doesn't get the drop they want and makes a post on the forums bitching about the drop rate, and you read it and this is somehow significant you you.

So, you've now got one post claiming "Yippe!  I got my drop on the first run!  This shit is great!" and one post claiming "Fuckstick!  I've run this thing into the ground and never get my drop.  Shit is broken."

You're the kind of person who would manage to assume some grand conspiracy theory out of this anecdotal evidence.  The rest of the rational world just sees two unrelated data points with no correlation between them.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #64 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 2:56pm
Print Post  

You're trying to argue with a dumbass who used his own anecdotal evidence to argue against the use of anecdotal evidence.   Don't bother.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #65 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 9:51am:
Herpa derp!

This isn't an argument over the drop rate of the ROSS.  1%, 5%, 1/10%, no one gives a fuck except you, because you simply cannot stop hyper-examining my posts looking desperately for something, anything you can possibly use to try to criticize your Daddy.

More incorrectly assumed herpa derp!

Apparently you give a fuck since you've made multiple posts regarding the drop rate of it and the anecdotal evidence tied to it.

You sure bailed pretty quickly on providing facts and actual data regarding your statement that the RoSS drop rate is 1%.   Roll Eyes

Keep on herpa derpin.

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:01pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #66 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 2:56pm:
You're trying to argue with a dumbass who used his own anecdotal evidence to argue against the use of anecdotal evidence.   Don't bother.

You raise a valid point there. I see why you replace all of his text with herpaderps. I didn't even read the whole freaking post to know it was bullshit.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:00pm:
You sure bailed pretty quickly on providing facts and actual data regarding your statement that the RoSS drop rate is 1%.

As usual, you can neither read nor comprehend.

Let's remind you of what I actually said:
Frank wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:15am:
Mookie is hard to understand at times.  It's like he is bipolar.  One day he's claiming that he'd rather pay 350 TP for crafting pots/boosts he could get in-game via a guaranteed hour of running the tutorial quest because "fun!" and "favor!" and the next day he's claiming that he'd rather run a no fun, no favor, no XP grind over and over again for an under 1% chance at what is essentially a mnemonic pot that he could buy a few stacks of with all that TP he buys as a Turbine whale.

The ROSS is great for what it is:  Excellent in heroics, and of limited use in epics.  It's got a slow timer so it's a bit of a pain to use, but mana is mana.  Casters using slas can make the mana from ROSS go a very long way.  It is boss on an Arti.

Let me help you out:

1) Drop ROSS you are carrying;
2) Loot new one;
3) Park new one in bank/on ASAH;
4) Buyback the ROSS you dropped;
5) Profit.

More steps than the typical profit meme, but then Mookie clearly needs more careful explanations if he's letting rares rot in chests just because they are exclusive.

After you spend an hour with a dictionary figuring out the big words, you might want to try to understand the difference between saying "an under 1% chance" and a claim that the exact drop rate is 1%.

The fact is, I don't know what ther exact drop rate is, and neither do you.  I believe that it's under 1%, but I could be wrong.

I'm an adult, I can stand to be shown that I'm wrong and I will learn and adapt from the experience.  You, on the other hand, are a child.  You have a psychological need to try to prove your Daddy figures wrong because you think that will make you a grownup.  It will not.  You are now and will always be a child regardless of your biological age.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #68 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:11pm:
The fact is, I don't know what ther exact drop rate is, and neither do you.  I believe that it's under 1%, but I could be wrong.

It used to be 2%. Now it is 4%.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #69 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Herpa derp.

Let's remind you of what I actually said:

More herpa derp.

You sure are posting a lot in this thread for someone that doesn't give a fuck about it.   Roll Eyes

Secondly, you didn't actually remind me of what you said about the drop rate on the RoSS.  You substituted something that wasn't relevant just to try and spin away from your stupid.  Luckily due to the interwebz, it takes like 30s to go look up your original statement anyway.
Here it is:
Frank wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 9:25am:
So fuck off unless you present some actual data.  Herpa derp... ~1% rare drops rot in chests... herpa derp, then you can try to tell me something about the game.  Herpa derp.

You pretty explicitly said that the RoSS has approximately a 1% drop rate.  Your exact words were "~1%".

You tried to insult my use of self-admitted anecdotal evidence by using... anecdotal evidence from to a different topic.  Then you doubled down on your herpa derping and demanded "actual data" and facts.

If actual data and facts are so important to you, by all means, show us your data and facts for the ~1% drop rate on the RoSS.  Otherwise, kindly shove the ~1% up your ass because shit is about all that number is worth and your ass is where it belongs.

Pro-tip:  Don't try to belittle people for using anecdotal evidence based on years of personal experience and then turn right around and pull a random number out of your ass to try and prop up your weak, bs point.  It just shows how stupid you really are.

I'm an adult, I can stand to be shown that I'm wrong and I will learn and adapt from the experience.

By the way, this might be the biggest pile of BS you've yet posted.  I'm not even editing in herpa derp for that quote because it deserves to be preserved in all it's stupid glory.

If this were true, you wouldn't be constantly doubling down on your stupid and digging the holes you argue yourself into even deeper like you've done in the recent cleric build.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2016 at 4:21pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:42pm:
It used to be 2%. Now it is 4%.

Well if it's 4% than it's not that bad.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #71 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
I'd rather grind for an ERoSS than the grinding Herp and Derp are doing all over The Vault. I do hope their balls finally drop, though.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

before you were born.

Reply #72 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 6:32pm:
I'd rather grind for an ERoSS than the grinding Herp and Derp are doing all over The Vault. I do hope their balls finally drop, though.

The drop rate for their balls has been nerfed.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #73 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
spathic wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 7:01pm:

Smiley

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #74 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
spathic wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 7:01pm:

They're on ransack currently.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint