Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Server transfers (Read 17058 times)
5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Server transfers
Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I see something posted about character transfers via the launcher. Does that mean they are going to be free now?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: Server transfers
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:26pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
So it lets you select all...

Is it 2495 TPs per character, or per transfer? EG can I move all 30 characters at once?

Sadly, the inability to move airships will be a serious problem Sad I paid for a very nice airship for my 1-man guild and can't imagine giving it up. I'd be fine restarting the guild, but that airship! All those AS-bought ameneties!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:24pm:

Man that's a bit pricey, but I guess if everyone who wasn't fucking retarded transferred at once that alone would kill their shit?

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 7:00pm:
Man that's a bit pricey, but I guess if everyone who wasn't fucking retarded transferred at once that alone would kill their shit?

Its actually a pretty reasonable price, around ~$15-$20 depending on how you're buying turbine points. Wow used to charge $25.

While we can certainly argue that it doesn't "cost" turbine anything if the transfers work perfectly %100 of the time, the real goal in putting a tax on the process to keep transfers low. If they were free, you'd have them happening constantly - and you can bet your ass someone would find a way to abuse the process. Worse still, you'd have things going with the eb and flow of public opinion, server populations leaping around at random... it wouldn't be good for the community, essentially.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 7:20pm:
Its actually a pretty reasonable price, around ~$15-$20 depending on how you're buying turbine points. Wow used to charge $25.

While we can certainly argue that it doesn't "cost" turbine anything if the transfers work perfectly %100 of the time, the real goal in putting a tax on the process to keep transfers low. If they were free, you'd have them happening constantly - and you can bet your ass someone would find a way to abuse the process. Worse still, you'd have things going with the eb and flow of public opinion, server populations leaping around at random... it wouldn't be good for the community, essentially.

Good point, but they could give one free transfer per 6 months and charge for extras to limit shenanigans and still let people who legitimately want to play on a more crowded server do it for free.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:07pm:
Good point, but they could give one free transfer per 6 months and charge for extras to limit shenanigans and still let people who legitimately want to play on a more crowded server do it for free.

I think you'd stll end up seeing the occasional mass exodus even at the once-per-six-month rate. Keep in mind that for 1 character, 1 time, 2496 TP is pretty trivial, if you REALLY just wanted to move to a more populated server. Server populations should not fluctuate enough that you have to move every six months.

What gets stupid is when you start needing to relocate your full team. My main, crafter, farming alts, mules, conservatively i'd be looking at 10-20,000 TPs. Not cool.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
How does the name transfer work?

I have the same name reserved for my main on every server, including Wayfinder. 

Would a transferred toon be "MainX" or the like?

I dont know that this changes much... Is there any reliable way to track server populations?

The only real reason I can see moving would be to play with friends who happened to be located  on a different server.

Otherwise, like Noanimeo said, youre just giving up too many non- transferrable goodies to make it worth while.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2016 at 10:03pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:24pm:

I guess the idea of making money in volume off of microtransactions is still lost on DDO even with a new company in charge.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:11am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:24pm:
What gets stupid is when you start needing to relocate your full team. My main, crafter, farming alts, mules, conservatively i'd be looking at 10-20,000 TPs. Not cool.

This.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 9:52pm:
How does the name transfer work?

I have the same name reserved for my main on every server, including Wayfinder.

Would a transferred toon be "MainX" or the like?

Here:

https://www.ddo.com/en/world-character-transfer-guide
Quote:
If your name is being used on the world you are transferring to, your name will be appended with a -1 and you will be granted a one-time free rename credit. While logged into the character you wish to change the name of, type /changename (new name) into the chat panel to change your name.

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 3:15am
Print Post  
There is no high pop server. I'll wait for server merges.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 4:19am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 3:15am:

This.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 4:50am
Print Post  
1495 would be realistic and wud have pretty much the same impact. But meh, problem is: the fact that your server is currently well inhabited means nothing in the long run.

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 5:10am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 7:00pm:

I can't imagine paying that to transfer, and you would have to transfer most of your stable just for the inventory/items/collectables/ etc... alone.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:14am
Print Post  
No way they make these free.

This is an excellent source of revenue.  If it is for an entire account to go to a new server, I would consider doing it.

If it is a per character price, I will not be taking advantage of it.

I definitely wouldn't worry about a character name.  Trading a character name for a more active server is a darn good trade.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:34am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:14am:
No way they make these free.

This is an excellent source of revenue.  If it is for an entire account to go to a new server, I would consider doing it.

If it is a per character price, I will not be taking advantage of it.

I definitely wouldn't worry about a character name.  Trading a character name for a more active server is a darn good trade.

Maybe it's a good trade, but maybe not. Lag isn't too bad right now, at least in the limited times I'm playing, but I think that's largely because populations have dropped to the levels the servers can support. If people moved to a populous server and it approached the previous level of activity, would it also approach the previous levels of lag?

I started playing on Wayfinder because for a while it was the only one that didn't have levels of lag I found annoying enough to induce me to switch games. If we went back to that, I don't care how many LFMs are up, I'll log out and go elsewhere.

It would be a sad cycle - people cluster on a server, it lags, people quit and the population drops to a new stable low. Now it's too empty, so people cluster to a new server ...

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Maybe a free transfer per year as VIP?

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:10am
Print Post  
There are some people I would pay that price to get rid of from Khyber.   Grin Grin

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 3:15am:

You'll wait forever.  They don't have the tech to do server merges right, and they don't care to invest the time into doing it right.

Source:  Cordovan's latest statements on the subject.  He didn't quite put it this way, but he did give lots of excuses about how hard various things were to deal with, and no suggestion that they ever intend to even try to deal with them.  At least that was my overall impression.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #20 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Reading into the statements of an idiot takes an idiot

E.X., No more class "passes"

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:37am:
You'll wait forever.  They don't have the tech to do server merges right, and they don't care to invest the time into doing it right.

Source:  Cordovan's latest statements on the subject.  He didn't quite put it this way, but he did give lots of excuses about how hard various things were to deal with, and no suggestion that they ever intend to even try to deal with them.  At least that was my overall impression.

I don't see any problem. They can just delete a server and make it avaliable to copy all characters existing at the moment to another server for free. For the cache, well, there is are infinite solutions for it, I'm sure they can come up with something. If they can't, than just give a warning for everyone to clear the cache, and make the free transfer avaliable before closing the world.

I don't understand why MMOs have "wolrds" anyways. There should be only one server. Of couse there is the lag, but what is the difference if you have to support the same number of people anyhow.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:08pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:06pm:
I don't understand why MMOs have "wolrds" anyways.

When EverQuest was first released, the server hardware(top of the line for it's day) could only support about 250 players at a time.

The purpose of having different "worlds" or "servers" is because, until relatively recently, the technology to support massive game populations on a single server didn't exist. More recently, the technology has existed, but was VERY expensive, requiring something called a "cluster" to run.

Today, cluster technology is a hell of a lot cheaper, but 10 years ago when DDO was made? The whole reason we *have* a heavily-instanced game like we do(public instances, private) is because its way cheaper to build and maintain.

There's also a question of game availability - having multiple servers means if one goes down for some reason, gamers can play on another. Granted, most times its all or none with DDO's servers, but the idea is still there.

Now, they COULD do something like that god awful side-scrolling MMO who's name escapes me, wherin your character is stored on a single log-in server and transferred to the game world of your choice every time you log in(changing DDO over to this model would be damn near impossible, but its an option for any new games).

But that's a brief overview of why MMOs have multiple servers.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:37am:
I'll herpa derp forever.  I don't have the skills to play DDO at a high level, and don't care to invest the time into learning.

Source:  My latest statements on the viable cleric builds thread.  I didn't quite put it this way, but I did give lots of excuses about how hard various things were to deal with, and no suggestion that I ever intend to even try to stop herpa derping.  At least that was my overall impression.

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:17pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #24 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Aaaaaaaaand character transfers are off.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint