Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Pay to Win (Read 24511 times)
OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Re: Pay to Win
Reply #75 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:02pm
Print Post  

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #76 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
It's 7k posts for the exploit forum now?

I'm never going to make it Sad

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #77 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
It's 7k posts for the exploit forum now?

I'm never going to make it Sad

A recommendation from Epoch goes a long way...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #78 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Or a macro, whichever you prefer.

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #79 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 11:21am
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:18pm:
Stupid shit plagiarized from Nancy Palosi speeches

Spoken like an idiot.

Ok, let me make it easier for you to understand. Work+commute etc, 60hrs a week. Wife/GF Family time, chores wtf ever, 30 hrs a week. Actual time to play, 1 hr a day.  There's the scenario for taking 50 years to grind it.

And if you run the quests with groups that dont already have it and wont pass it to ya for free/plat/aug trade, you need to find new groups and friends.

I run raids on a weekly basis where I have no need for anything from it in order to help get other people whatever they need.

And a more accurate description which includes my previous description is pay NOT to play. pay shards to skip quests on a saga, buy ottos to skip questing to level. P2W in DDO is a myth. It's only pay to win when the items needed *to win* are only in the store.

Are you a troll or really as stupid as you sound?
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2014 at 11:22am by Nuckinfutz »  

Felgor wrote on May 21st, 2013 at 3:45am:
DDO died a long time ago, we just all have trouble admitting it.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Nuckinfutz wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 11:21am:
It's only pay to win when the items needed *to win* are only in the store.

In which game are items only in the store?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #81 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
ddofanboy wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 4:27pm:
Turbine Inc, like every company on the fucking planet, it is about making money.  WHat a brilliant fucking observation..

Why thank you, although I needed no affirmation of that fact from anyone, and certainly not from some sad, fat fuck who is a DDO fanboi.

Having said that, I am a Time Warner stockholder, and every  bit of profit that can be wrung out of Turbine has a chance of increasing my dividend check. As such, I would encourage you to continue spending money on DDO as you attempt to offset the wretched reality that is your life.

Just for your information, not all companies optimize their business operations to maximize current profits. Amazon, for example, is much more interested in increasing its market share at the expense of current profits.

You would know these kinds of things if you were anyone who mattered, but clearly you aren't.

Now, be a good little fanboi and toddle off to the Turbine forums where you can get your daily dose of Cordo ass kissing done.

Hi Welcome

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

Yobai wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I would rather give Thrudh a rim job.

Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm:
That is some masterful trolling.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #82 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 12:21pm:

Most korean mmos.
Usually items for pvp.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2014 at 5:36pm by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #83 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
P2Win has been in full force since Mana Pots were put in the store.  Nothing else in the game is a bigger easy button.  And they have been in the store for years.

Tomes are a marginal impact in comparison.  As are Otto Boxes or Fate points or anything else. 

Even so, as mentioned, in a PvE game, P2Win is only a moderate impact.  I've played games where it's way worse.  Try Game of War.  It's totally P2Win PvP environment where you can't reach the top end game level without spending 4-5k US dollars.  Even though the base game is F2P.  In those games, your guild (alliance) strategy is to actually locate and attract the spenders.  The best players in the world not spending money couldn't compete with a moron with a big wallet.  That's P2Win.  This game is no where near that level.

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #84 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
That's a good point with the SP pots, but right now with the cards it's basically d2w (dupe to win), any noob with a blue bar can burn sp indefinitely for massive damage.

In my opinion, the heaviest P2W right now is (if you were to actually buy these things instead of exploiting) Box>LR>Box>TR>Repeat, it is literally retarded.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:00pm by Sasha »  

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #85 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 7:40pm:
P2Win has been in full force since Mana Pots were put in the store.  Nothing else in the game is a bigger easy button.  And they have been in the store for years.

Yes, but that's weak compared to the P2W that has been implemented since then.  Only the worst players need those to help them achieve something approaching mild winning.

Tomes are a marginal impact in comparison.  As are Otto Boxes or Fate points or anything else.

No.  Tomes and Otto's Boxes have introduced P2W that goes far beyond the SP potions (which only the worst players need).

Even so, as mentioned, in a PvE game, P2Win is only a moderate impact.

Not so sure about that. 

The best players in the world not spending money couldn't compete with a moron with a big wallet.  That's P2Win.  This game is no where near that level.

There are degrees of P2W.  You agree.  I'm not here interested in debating whether the P2W we currently have is good or bad.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #86 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Sasha wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 7:59pm:
That's a good point with the SP pots, but right now with the cards it's basically d2w (dupe to win), any noob with a blue bar can burn sp indefinitely for massive damage.

In my opinion, the heaviest P2W right now is (if you were to actually buy these things instead of exploiting) Box>LR>Box>TR>Repeat, it is literally retarded.

I don't know.  That's pretty meh, IMO.  The power gain from a PL is almost negligible.  Add up all the PL's and completionist combined and it's less than a 10% difference in overall power. 

Also, doing that non-stop has no affect on any other players.  If that's how you spend your time, you really aren't playing the game.  But, absent that ability to do that, you probably wouldn't be anyways.  That sounds like someone who really doesn't enjoy running the quests all that much.  At the end of the day, who cares?  More power to them.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #87 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Sasha wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 7:59pm:

I was referring to this.  Not the cards.  The cards are equivalent to SP pots.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #88 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:31pm:
Yes, but that's weak compared to the P2W that has been implemented since then.  Only the worst players need those to help them achieve something approaching mild winning.

No.  Tomes and Otto's Boxes have introduced P2W that goes far beyond the SP potions (which only the worst players need).

Not so sure about that. 

There are degrees of P2W.  You agree.  I'm not here interested in debating whether the P2W we currently have is good or bad.

I disagree about the impact of boxes and tomes. The power boost from them is negligible (with a very few exceptions).  It has almost no impact on quest outcome.

P2Win is a fact of all games, especially those with a F2P model.  Maybe subscription based games won't have that, but most F2P model games will have several levels of players:  Totally Free, Microtransaction user, VIP/Subscriber user, Whales.  The whales exist in every game and the game developer would be very unwise to not find ways to let them spend all that money burning a hole in their pockets. 

I'd still argue that DDO does not require you to be a whale to play at the end game level.  Many of the best players with the best gear do not spend any money on the game, beyond content.  There are many games I know where being a whale is required to reach end game level.  You can't get there on game play alone.  By that metric, DDO is not very P2Win.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #89 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 4:19am
Print Post  
I would say move this to the drama forum section. Cheesy

This thread has much buthurt and many funny tries of IMBUTHURT to pretend he would be interested in (and beeing capable of) having a real discussion about that topic. Cheesy

Apart from that DDO has p2w. But it's far from beeing full-on.
Stat and skill tomes -> nice to reach some stat requirements for feats. And that's the only situation where stat tomes are strong. +6 str from tome is +3 attack and up to +6dmg before criticals.
+3 attack -> I doubt anyone is noticing that difference with the new to-hit formula.
+6 dmg -> if I look at the damage numbers of some builds I doubt that anyone with a proper build is able to notice a difference as well.

XP stones(epic boxes) -> yes you can bypass your way to completionist. Very strong if you look at the xp that can be bypassed on one day. Very weak if you have a look at the effect for most builds. Apart from the +(tactical)DCs and spell pen most PLs aren't going to make a big difference. So I'd say after bypassing 3-6 lifes the power gain for your build by the additional PLs is weak. DC casters are the only exception from that.
But who is building a DC caster anyways if you can just roll a shiradi and win in your first life. Tongue

Mana pots -> allows to go full retard dps with your caster and zerg quests without using your brain. This combines buying XP from the store and buying raid completions. (some players are good enough to solo a raid with unlimited sp, but mostly a caster with unlimited SP is just dealing crazy amounts of damage which makes a big difference in most raids in ddo)

Apart from that... p2w in a pve game is more like p2epeen.
I am not going to worry about it, especially because I know how bad full-on p2w can really be.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2014 at 4:23am by SwashbucklerHater »  

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #90 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 12:21pm:

WoW. You must purchase to get passed a certain level.
EQ. You must purchase to unlock the uber items.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #91 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 11:25am
Print Post  
We had it in DDO, i remember to farm those stupid sigils of leveling. Tongue

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #92 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Nuckinfutz wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 11:19am:
WoW. You must purchase to get passed a certain level.

Isn't that the same for DDO? You cant get to certain levels without buying content.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #93 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 11:48am:
Isn't that the same for DDO? You cant get to certain levels without buying content.

Nope. You can farm favor for the TP to get it. Neither example I gave gives a free way to do it. You HAVE to spend $$.

IP Logged

Oyster
Korthos Resident

I Love Oysters!

Reply #94 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:39pm
Print Post  

Do you? I'm not sure about epic levels, but there is enough content to get 1-20 being F2P and earning favor-based TP to unlock some packs. It's mindless grind, but... meh.

You can't get Epic Destinies without purchase, but then again, you can get TP to purchase them while being F2P.

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #95 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Oyster wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:39pm:
You can't get Epic Destinies without purchase, but then again, you can get TP to purchase them while being F2P.

Well slap me with a lesbian's freshly used strapon. Thought they finally put this out for TP you could farm to get instead of having to pay cash.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #96 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I got my Epic Destinies with the MoTU pack that i bought with tp's farmed. The 5k tp's one. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:50pm by ILoveExploits »  

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #97 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
So did I. And for a time, you had to pay cash to get em. But I thought I heard some one say they were available for TPs.

If you still have to pay cash, that qualifies as P2W under my definition.

IP Logged

ddofanboy
Korthos Resident

Three cheers for Turbine!!!!

Reply #98 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
GermanicusMaximus wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 3:52pm:
Having said that, I am a Time Warner stockholder, and every  bit of profit that can be wrung out of Turbine has a chance of increasing my dividend check. As such, I would encourage you to continue spending money on DDO as you attempt to offset the wretched reality that is your life.

Bullshit!  I call bull fucking shit!  You don't have any stocks and your not getting any dividend checks.  The wretched reality is your biggest investment is you magic card collection.  Your largest asset it your PC, which mommy had to consign for at Rent-a-center.
Take your economics lesson and shove it up your ass professor

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #99 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 5:34pm
Print Post  

Stupid people like you cant.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint