Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Turbine's Infinite Crisis now finite (Read 48445 times)
Yobai
Epic Poster

Re: Turbine's Infinite Crisis now finite
Reply #75 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 10:23pm:
I will watch with popcorn.

maybe you should try to find another job?  QA pays like shit at AAA companies so I can only imagine what kind of peanuts you were working for at Turban.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #76 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 1:20pm:

the question is : is WB Games just Turbine or is there any otrher development studio owned by WB ?

j

They own multiple game companies.  IIRC from their annual report Turban rolls up into a larger video game/entertainment umbrella.

which was outlined by arkat in the very next post to which I replied.   Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:53pm by Yobai »  

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #77 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:07am:
Why though? 
Does he have leverage in the form of videos of the execs playing nude leapfrog together?

Doesn't the consistent decline of both decent product lines (and implosion of IC) appear on anyone's radar as a concern?

I hope WB goes in and cleans house.
There still appears to be a shitload of middle mgmt at Turdbine - wtf do they do?

I've been asking that question since the clusterfuck of MotU.
The only answer I have ever got was ' we have invested in him' or some baloney like that. Any other game company you get one failure. That's it and you are out. Even Bill Roper and Lord British never mind..Fernando?
I always figured he had naked pictures of someone...or something like that..it sure isn't his video game knowledge or leadership ability.

Yobai- i have another job - www.underworldascendant.com

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #78 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 7:33pm:
The only answer I have ever got was ' we have invested in him' or some baloney like that.

Sounds a lot like a "no fire" clause got worked into his contract as part of the WB buy-out.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #79 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 8:14pm:
Sounds a lot like a "no fire" clause got worked into his contract as part of the WB buy-out.

Change his job to “stay at home consultant” and ask him to not call in.

It would have been more profitable to do this than allow him to fuck things up.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #80 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
' we have invested in him'

I have heard this phrase before, in my experience it translates to:

"I have lent the son of a bitch a large some of my personal money and know if I fire him I will never see it again."

naked pictures of someone

Would be pretty easy to get naked pictures of your boss if they knew your schedule, made the mistake of thinking you were going to follow it, and proceeded to pound some hole in your own damn bed. /tinfoil hat off.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #81 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 8:32pm:
some hole

Kate Quote:
[T]his is really about reaching out.

Fernando Quote:
[I]t's appropriate for something to be really hard ... you want to go for that thing.

Kate Quote:
It sort of felt like a real natural fit.

Fernando Quote:
So yea, we definitely brought in some extra help for this release.

Kate Quote:
... getting some new attention, generating some new buzz.

Fernando Quote:
It will all be easier in the final release.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #82 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Yobai- i have another job - www.underworldascendant.com

Have you commited to co-op yet?

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #83 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 8:26pm:
Change his job to “stay at home consultant” and ask him to not call in.

It would have been more profitable to do this than allow him to fuck things up.

Seriously, paying the guy his full salary to work for the competition would be a gain.

Just knowing that pennies of my purchase dollars would go to him makes me want to spend less  Cheesy

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 9:19pm:
Have you commited to co-op yet?

no...but my gut says it will happen.

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #85 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Who is F?

Uh...I kind of like MoTU...except I guess all the quests are linear. That's kind of dull.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #86 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
I've been asking that question since the clusterfuck of MotU.

I'm curious why you felt MOTU was a clusterfuck from your perspective.
I know players have mixed thoughts about it destroying the lvl 20 end game and such, but I thought it injected a bit of newness to the game which I thought had begin to stagnate.
What part did F play in the MOTU strategy?  Selling it to VIPs by calling it an expansion?

The only answer I have ever got was ' we have invested in him' or some baloney like that. Any other game company you get one failure. That's it and you are out. Even Bill Roper and Lord British never mind..

That euphemism has numerous connotations.
Regardless of what it is, it looks like he is entrenched.
Perhaps his organisational and industry knowledge is too valuable to lose?  Grin

Sounds like it will take a change of mgmt to remove him, but only if the new manager is strong enough to not allow professional ass kissers on the team.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #87 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
MOTU was the beginning of the end for DDO. Epic destinies were broken in so many ways. The spellpower change pissed off everyone who had put time into the game to get their gear. Gear which was all invalidated by the abandonment of epics in favor of new shinies to make people buy the xpack. Rushed, linear quests, a plethora of new bugs... I don't know how I would have changed things if I had the magical power to, but I know that everything that happened with U14 pissed a lot of people off, and the game's never really recovered, IMO.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #88 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Hiding wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 10:57pm:
Who is F?

Uh...I kind of like MoTU...except I guess all the quests are linear. That's kind of dull.

Fernando Paiz.
His wife Kate Paiz was producer on DDO which saw the start of the decline in DDO, and then she was "promoted" to LOTRO Producer where she summarily destroyed that game too.
Not sure where they are in the orgn now.

With any luck, they'll get flushed out when IC closes.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #89 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Who is F?

MotU and EDs were fine in a vacuum. The problem was that their arrival killed the level 20 endgame era of DDO.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #90 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Who is F?

Fernando: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677OoDGU0ig

That's him, successfully convincing WB management, apparently, that customers are not being sold a service or a product. They are victims, and the best monetary investment strategy is to punish them for trying to enjoy a game. They will actually respond to punishment by giving more money, in the vain delusion that this money will go towards improving the game. Because (ha ha!), they think they're purchasing a product.

DropBear wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 11:21pm:
I'm curious why you felt MOTU was a clusterfuck from your perspective.

He's answered this before. (I'm going from memory, so it's likely I'm missing or misattributing some key elements.):

MOTU ushered in a host of new behind-the-scenes software issues, by being built on top of existing architecture, rather than working with it or changing it. MOTU itself didn't show the degradation of performance, because much of it was built while the kludge system was being developed to stick on top. Subsequent releases were all hugely impacted.

That's independent of how the quests/destinies/lootz/end game were affected, and whether the player base liked the changes.

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #91 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 1:24am
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 11:22pm:
MOTU was the beginning of the end for DDO. Epic destinies were broken in so many ways. The spellpower change pissed off everyone who had put time into the game to get their gear. Gear which was all invalidated by the abandonment of epics in favor of new shinies to make people buy the xpack. Rushed, linear quests, a plethora of new bugs... I don't know how I would have changed things if I had the magical power to, but I know that everything that happened with U14 pissed a lot of people off, and the game's never really recovered, IMO.

Well, DDO hasn't ended yet. But, yeah, gear became obsolete in one move - forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. I don't miss the endgame though where you needed to dance every mob to kill it, and that alone took 2 minutes per mob. However, they definitely need a stronger endgame than we have, one where EE is truly difficult.

DropBear wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 11:39pm:
http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Fernando4.png Paiz.
His wife Kate Paiz was producer on DDO which saw the start of the decline in DDO, and then she was "promoted" to LOTRO Producer where she summarily destroyed that game too.
Not sure where they are in the orgn now.

With any luck, they'll get flushed out when IC closes.

DnD must be cursed to have non-gamer, apathetic, unempathetic bitches in positions of power where they destroy cherished gaming systems. IF WB knows anything about the state of Turbine, they'll boot those two and get real management in.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #92 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Hiding wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 1:24am:
However, they definitely need a stronger endgame than we have, one where EE is truly difficult.

I'd enjoy it more. But difficulty is not really the issue. Difficulty is a means. Enjoyment is the issue.

That's what makes Fernando's approach so deadly to gaming: According to his approach, enjoyment is an unnecessary and expensive feature to provide. Far easier to provide a MacGuffin to grind for, and make that grind as endless as possible. Random, rather than predictable rewards cause players (and rats) to stick with it longer. This is exactly why they think they can succeed in the mobile market. Players aren't having fun, but they're coughing up money anyway. Being able to eliminate what the customer wants is a dream come true for any businesses.

In the Paiz business model, customers are expected to leave, and there is no return plan. Customers are not viewed as a renewable resource, nor are they viewed as possessing even rudimentary herd intelligence. If one cow drinks from a stagnant pool, finds it's pretty salty, and only drinks from that pool until it dies, the other cows in the herd never go near that pool. Far worse if the cow mentions it just realized what an insufferable cauldron of shit it was drinking before it dies.

I think Fernando's been successful in one aspect: DDO customers coughed up more cash before leaving. The unsuccessful part is that Fernando assumed the product was shit to begin with. So Infinite Crisis, logically, started out as shit. LoTRO and DDO have been systematically and inexorably turned into shit. Customers reach levels of tolerance for shit that they would never have reached otherwise, but the consequence is a non-renewable customer base.

Paiz' business model is the strip-mining of the video game industry.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #93 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 3:54am
Print Post  
RV - you do realise the F virus probably logged on just to read your post above and fap to it.
Pretty sure he thinks he's a gaming God, and the cries of ever suffering peons is music to his ears.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #94 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 4:06am
Print Post  
CheesyHiding wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 1:24am:
DnD must be cursed to have non-gamer, apathetic, unempathetic bitches in positions of power where they destroy cherished gaming systems. IF WB knows anything about the state of Turbine, they'll boot those two and get real management in.

I can't say that I know Kate well enough to make that type of character assassination of her, and to be honest her gender is irrelevant in my assessment.
If the other bitch you refer to is Sev_Pay, then I'll roll with that because he's obviously someone's (or everyone's) bitch.
I base my criticism only on observable performance over time.  Unfortunately we have no idea whether Kate, F virus or they're both equally as appalling at understanding customer needs.

I've said it before, the sad thing is that even drug dealers have more concern for their customers than the Paiz's - because drug dealers at least they understand the concept of return business.

Regarding WB booting them, my strong suspicion is Paiz's know how to talk the talk, so the 25yr MBA suits from corporate (with STa experience) will come in and hear the Paiz's tell them exactly what they want to hear and they'll probably get promoted.  F virus hasn't survived this long without having adapted to corporate game playing.

If they happen to send someone on with a bit of experience in dealing with BS artists, then we might have a different story.  Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2015 at 4:08am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #95 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 9:57am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 3:54am:
Pretty sure he thinks he's a gaming God, and the cries of ever suffering peons is music to his ears.

Good. Then I'm back on track. I don't take being accused of spreading sanity lightly.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #96 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 10:32am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 4:06am:
If they happen to send someone on with a bit of experience in dealing with BS artists, then we might have a different story.  Fingers crossed.

Hey, it's WB, maybe they'll make it pay per view! I'd kick in a few bucks to see that. Or like America's Got Talent  - our votes count.

Set up opposing kickstarters, the "Keep F" and "Boot F" factions, and the one that gets more pledges wins, the losers get their money refunded. We don't know which faction won until the end of the interview, where we get to see his reaction on live TV.

Talk about monitization!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #97 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 10:45am
Print Post  
The saying the right thing is true.
Sadly a lesson I have not learned- I say the truth, damn the politics. I can't tell you how many times this got me in 'trouble' after a update meeting or whatnot. Candy coating is for fools.
Now in a indie shop this is a very important skill, every hour counts, every dollar counts...in corporate land, they don't like to hear reality.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #98 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 3:36am:
Paiz' business model is the strip-mining of the video game industry.

I Liken his tatics more akin to casino tactics. they fleece you fast and hard. While they all have loyalty type programs to entice the regular hardcore gamblers to stay loyal, they don't really care if folks visit a different casino the next time since their player attrition will be reciprocated by other casino's losses.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #99 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 4:10pm:
I Liken his tatics more akin to casino tactics. they fleece you fast and hard. While they all have loyalty type programs to entice the regular hardcore gamblers to stay loyal, they don't really care if folks visit a different casino the next time since their player attrition will be reciprocated by other casino's losses.

I think Fernando would, too. But he's misunderstood what a metaphor is, and tried to make gaming into actual gambling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint