Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone Interested in An Alternative to The Vault? (Read 45786 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Anyone Interested in An Alternative to The Vault?
Jun 15th, 2015 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
So I actually liked Geoff Hanna's write up he posted a few threads down.

And if you look at the comments section of his post, there's a lot of "Vault has awseom stuff in it, but is 90% terrible and I can't take it".

It's true, this place is a cesspool. Some of us are more guilty than others, and a lot of people will say "we're consenting adults, grow a sack, whatever".

But wouldn't it be nice to have a forums that have more people participating or at least reading, contributing to DDO, but without Jerry? Is it even possible to have some sort of middle ground?

On a personal level I try to self-censor, but some people are just such magnificent trolls that it can be very hard. I will be interested to see if anyone posts a serious response to this or if I get a lot of donuts and boobs.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: Anyone Interested in An Alternative to The Vault?
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 5:47pm:
or if I get a lot of donuts and boobs

You'd complain about getting donuts and boobs?  Grow a sack, whatever.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
The Vault is fine the way it is.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 5:47pm:
So I actually liked Geoff Hanna's write up he posted a few threads down.

And if you look at the comments section of his post, there's a lot of "Vault has awseom stuff in it, but is 90% terrible and I can't take it".

It's true, this place is a cesspool. Some of us are more guilty than others, and a lot of people will say "we're consenting adults, grow a sack, whatever".

But wouldn't it be nice to have a forums that have more people participating or at least reading, contributing to DDO, but without Jerry? Is it even possible to have some sort of middle ground?

On a personal level I try to self-censor, but some people are just such magnificent trolls that it can be very hard. I will be interested to see if anyone posts a serious response to this or if I get a lot of donuts and boobs.

Let's not forget you helped make it a cesspool recently with your tiff with Hag.

Look in the mirror first before judging.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:14pm:
The Vault is fine the way it is.

For the most part, I agree.

However, there are some here who are dicks merely because they can be without getting banned/being moderated or whatever.

It's ok to be a dick if the situation warrants it like when you're needlessly provoked. Another time when it's ok is when responding to a completely moronic post. (Example: Experience point bonuses like potions, VIP bonus, etc. stack additively and have for years. Some dumbass comes along and claims they stack multiplicatively despite common knowledge to the contrary.) In cases like that, I say "Fire away."

You being a dick just to do the provoking isn't all that cool in my book.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:35pm by Arkat »  

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I don't think it warrants a new website - with the admin and overheads that go along with that.
You also face the prospect of getting enough people and posts to make it worthwhile for Vaulties to go there.  I was on a few invite only DDO related forums and due to the lack of activity there, I rarely even check in there now.

The are two changes I'd like to see in the Vault. First is for accounts like Astraghal with stupid disruptive socks like HueHueHue to get extinguished fast.

They keep popping up, spew their BS and resurrect a few dozens threads, then fade out.  If you're patient they eventually go away, but it is still irritating sifting through their droppings. 
Conversely, actively squashing them would probably just give people with too much time on their hands an incentive to do it more for "fun".  People seem to be wired like that.

Secondly, I'd like to see a locked down invite only area not related to post count where we can discuss without snitches and bitches.....okay, just without the first one.   Grin
Something like OnePercenter's special area (no, not that one, the other one).   Wink

Otherwise I understand Strakeln provides a community service and doesn't want to spend his time moderating. 
Does that mean delegating?  Maybe, but we all know how that went last time.  Absolute power and all that....   Undecided
Is there a practical middle ground with some of the long term Vaulties acting as admins with powers to suspend accounts/posts until the moderator deletes or releases them?  Have a few across different time zones to give reasonable coverage?
I see the rules around this being pretty clear and not too dissimilar from now.  Eg NSFW posts being suspended until fixed, deleting spam disruption accounts etc.

Ooh - 1 more stealth change. Have all Turdbine related IP's seamlessly redirected to an archive version of the Vault, but make all the posts seem current.   Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:55pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I actually wouldn't mind Turbine participating and reading, I just don't want them having any control.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:12pm:
I actually wouldn't mind Turbine participating and reading, I just don't want them having any control.

You haven't heard? Turbine uses what they read here to hand out bans on the mother forum. (and make stealth changes)

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:16pm
Print Post  

There was a moderated DDO forum somewhere. I can't remember the name and Google is giving me nothing. The hard drive that had it bookmarked fried out.

It's not particularly difficult to get a forum up and running. Give it a whirl!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

�ed
Dragon Raider

WTB Souls, PST

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Nowhere can be found such entertaining drama intermingled with nuggets of inspiration offset by complete retardedness. Vote Vault #1.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:16pm:
There was a moderated DDO forum somewhere. I can't remember the name and Google is giving me nothing. The hard drive that had it bookmarked fried out.

It's not particularly difficult to get a forum up and running. Give it a whirl!

I guess my inital post wasnt very well worded. What I meant was, does anyone think a very lightly moderated Vault would fly?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:54pm:
Ooh - 1 more stealth change. Have all Turdbine related IP's seamlessly redirected to an archive version of the Vault, but make all the posts seem current.

That could backfire - their lack of source control insures the old threads *are* current! They might even learn about active bugs before we start sharing them  Cheesy

Personally, I probably wouldn't hop to a new forum. I might have a few years ago when DDO was still good enough to hold my attention on its own, but after years of being abused and crippled by bad management, I *need* the boobs, dick jokes, and drama to keep me from dozing off.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:39pm:
I guess my inital post wasnt very well worded. What I meant was, does anyone think a very lightly moderated Vault would fly?

I'm sure it would be just as relevant as DDO.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:39pm:
does anyone think a very lightly moderated Vault would fly?

This is very lightly moderated.  At this point in the games life though, I think you'll find it's a bit to late to establish another knowledgable and worthwhile forum.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 7:49pm:
I'm sure it would be just as relevant as DDO.

This.

Let's be honest, the entertaining aspects of the Vault are part of why it is active. Take that away and your new forum will be about as popular as the Titan Raid.

DDO is so dead, the idea of new community content working is a humorous thought to me.

Also, there's plenty of value on the Vault, you just have to know who to ignore.

blah blah.

Good luck. But, I doubt it will work.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:34pm:
Some dumbass comes along and claims they stack multiplicatively despite common knowledge to the contrary.)

But what if they are talking in the past tense. Because once upon a time for a few days long ago they did actually multiply instead of just adding time and counting the highest xp pot.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:27pm:
Let's not forget you helped make it a cesspool recently with your tiff with Hag.

This. Harhar, if you want a better forum, stop arguing constantly over stuff that doesnt matter. Especially when you are shown to be wrong.

Instead of padding your post count to get to the secret section, just send Strake $50 and Im sure he will unlock the entire forum for you.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:26pm:
This. Harhar, if you want a better forum, stop arguing constantly over stuff that doesnt matter. Especially when you are shown to be wrong.

Instead of padding your post count to get to the secret section, just send Strake $50 and Im sure he will unlock the entire forum for you.

You should see the stuff we write about you in the 1000 post secret section

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:14pm:
This is very lightly moderated.  At this point in the games life though, I think you'll find it's a bit to late to establish another knowledgable and worthwhile forum.

Yeah you're right.

I would just like to see more people from the regular forums come here to participate and learn to the extent that it is possible. I'd also like obnoxious people who pad post counts clogging up threads with nonsense to get booted. I don't mean people joking around that's fine, but when two people go at it and create 30 threads of garbage, that's a bit annoying.

To those giving me shit right now,

People can complain about the fight I had with Hag Master in builds, but really, look at my post history and look at his. Who padded who's post count and who has at least tried to contribute over time? That guy is a complete joke.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #19 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:27pm:

Incessant trolls and instigators like Hag are the reason I'm asking this question, though there are and have been far worse offenders. While I'm not particularly polite or fluffy on the forums, I generally do not go around flaming people and going nuts. But Hag just particularly rubs me the wrong way.

He wants to be important but he's not. And he accuses me of calling myself weird grandiose names having to do with making builds, which makes me pissed because I don't do that. I just post my builds.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #20 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:41pm:
Incessant trolls and instigators like Hag are the reason I'm asking this question, though there are and have been far worse offenders. While I'm not particularly polite or fluffy on the forums, I generally do not go around flaming people and going nuts. But Hag just particularly rubs me the wrong way.

He wants to be important but he's not. And he accuses me of calling myself weird grandiose names having to do with making builds, which makes me pissed because I don't do that. I just post my builds.

I totally understand what you're saying Harhar but sometimes you just have to walk away.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 8:51pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #22 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 9:04pm
Print Post  

Hmmm.

I sense entertainment potential in a moderated board.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
The only thing that bothers me on the vault is the spammers like DiddleDoo

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
But Hag just particularly rubs me the wrong way.

Your not the first person who I have caught out to feel that way, what a surprise.

I just post my builds. And can't admit when I'm wrong

FTFY.

Now listen this is getting sad Harhar, you have to butch up.

But In the interest of Vault peace I am going to throw you a bone,  if you don't want me on your back don't say stupid shit, and when you do say stupid shit (we all do) and get caught? don't double down, or I or someone else is going to get on your back.

Simple.

For example, Forest comprehensibly proved both of us wrong today, I gave credit where credit is do and moved on.  What this means is that today, while I have spent the day eating popcorn, you have been scrambling around like mad trying to save face in a transparent attempt on multiple different threads.

Do I always man-up and admit to being wrong right away when I should? not always right away, but I try. This whole panic-attack your have been running all day is silly and pathetic.

Suck it up, get on with your life, just stop bitching about it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint