Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I think im going to get the hammer for this one... (Read 10741 times)
Quis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

I think im going to get the hammer for this one...
Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/473835-Glassdoor-Reviews-of-Turbine

I have been reading some of these reviews and wow.....it confirms alot of my suspicions.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Turbine-Reviews-E34765.htm

"New games (at least for the foreseeable future) will be about stripping money from game addicts and "whales" to put the company back in the positive. It makes sense, but those with a moral compass should not bother applying here."

"The transition to mobile has been very hard, and the failure of Infinite Crisis is a constant reminder of how poor choices in the beginning (deciding to stick with an antiquated engine and toolset instead of choosing a next gen engine) as well as a constantly shifting direction can lead to a project that just doesn't hit the mark with the gamer audience. Internal marketing teams are bad at getting the word out and WB needs to instead just pay outside marketing firms to handle their franchises.
The MMOs are now in their last days, even though they were fantastic projects during their heyday, and run on skeleton crews. Most of the new titles, especially mobile, are all just clones of existing games with little to no real innovation. There are a few execs that have lead teams to utter failure that are still working there today, leading new projects. The company management doesn't really seem to care much about the legacy of Turbine and its contribution to the MMO / virtual world space. Many, many layoffs over the past few years leave a general feeling of poor morale and failure."

"Mobile games are boring. Turbine has lost a lot of extremely talented people, partially due to incompetence on the director level. Problems seem to persist far longer than they should at any given point, especially when they are problems that effect the direct operations of the games themselves."

"The biggest problem is the bloated number of management types who have climbed the ranks simply through longevity. As the saying goes, (pardon for it not being very PC) "Too many chiefs, not enough indians."

While the overall mindset of the company is shifting toward progress, there are still close-minded, "old school" employees that feel all too complacent going about their lives at Turbine doing the same thing they have been for the past 20 years of the company's existance.

The theme of the past 4 years seems to be, "too little too late" as they've missed the bar on almost every project or release in that time frame."

"- Frequent layoffs, I survived though about 6 rounds before finally getting the axe. There have been 3 rounds in the past year, from 2014-2015 as they restructure to mobile development.
- Miscommunication between departments, 2 projects run by a husband / wife team, possible conflict of interests.
- Lead on one team dating subordinate, deemed 'not a problem' by HR.
- HR has extremely high turnover rate.
- Some incompetence at the VP level, but they were laid off at the same time as myself.
- Paid significantly less if moved up from QA, opposed to someone with a previous position on the west coast."

"There was just a lot of politics (more than the norm), even for someone who didn't want to be involved in it. A lot of shaming and blaming has been happening for even the smallest things, lots of talking behind backs, rather than just addressing and fixing issues - a culture inherited from certain managers. It creates an unpleasant and toxic environment that feeds itself, and doesn't inspire confidence or respect. Although these complaints have been heard, it never seemed like anyone listened. The upper management seems pretty tight-knit, so critique of their leadership doesn't have any real effect. As you can see from the clearly padded reviews below this, there's an obvious urge to cover up and gloss over those kinds of problems, and instead blaming the lower-level employees for being uneasy. This kind of stuff is why people keep leaving Turbine.

The games themselves, while exciting IPs, are almost quite literally carbon copies. That's a mix of a couple problems. One is because the goal, frankly, is to make money, which is understandable because Turbine needs to prove itself in that space and get some footing. Though I'd argue that skinning other people's games doesn't do much to push the company forward, nor inspire confidence in the new direction of the company. The other is lack of ability to innovate. It's not because the designers have no imagination or anything, they're great, it's because producers, EPs, marketing, directors and execs all have their hands in the pie to the point where you just have to start over and copy something that worked for someone else. The focus should be on making players happy, not making money and pleasing execs - because the former will result in the latter when it's done right."
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:42pm by Quis »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: I think im going to get the hammer for this one...
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Why did you make 2 vault accounts? One with your forum name and one with your in-game name?

IP Logged

Quis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I was drunk as shit when I made the account and meant to make it Quis instead of my forum name.  I blame Icehouse EDGEs.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Quis wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:45pm:
I was drunk

Yeah.

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but
I'm not a fuckin' bastard

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
I was drunk as shit when I made the account and meant to make it Quis instead of my forum name.  I blame Icehouse EDGEs. 

Icehouse. Fucking kididng me? You got drunk as shit of that? I bet you spent more time pissing than you spent drinking!  Grin OK, flicking you shit. You need to drink real beer. Like Piraat, Bier Du Bouccanier, Delirium Nocturn, Dead Guy Ale or anything from Rogue. 

IP Logged

Quis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:32pm:
Icehouse. Fucking kididng me? You got drunk as shit of that? I bet you spent more time pissing than you spent drinking!  Grin OK, flicking you shit. You need to drink real beer. Like Piraat, Bier Du Bouccanier, Delirium Nocturn, Dead Guy Ale or anything from Rogue. 

Im a cheap date =)

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:38pm
Print Post  

Been grinding since '06. Still incomplete set. Missing hat.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

palmer01
VoD Slasher

Paladin Slayer

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Awesome!

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Quis wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:38pm:
Lead on one team dating subordinate, deemed 'not a problem' by HR

There are a few execs that have lead teams to utter failure that are still working there today, leading new projects.

New games (at least for the foreseeable future) will be about stripping money from game addicts and "whales" to put the company back in the positive.

Sad

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
yawn... things we know quite well here

It's like that in every multinational.

I'm glad to be an (almost) irremplaceable assed [edit : typo, meant asset, but assed will do too, I have a reputation to uphold at $ORK... of the growling kind when bothered] ( read : worker bee, a.k.a. : assohole that actually gets his hand dirty and do stuff, with enough background to be able to do it on almost any product sold by the company [ I'm still light on pure radio products, but I'm working on it ]  ).

( I loved the time when I was : Southern Europe Product Manager, Sales Manager, Integrator and Suppor engineer... or said another way : I was the fucking responsible for everything regarding a given product in Southern Europe )

You have no idea how many managers I have... lets list : Local Manager, Project Manager,  Program Manager, Regional Manager, Regional Manager +1...
That's the normal list... extended list gets me Product Manager, Overal Program Manager, Worldwide Product Manager, Design Manager, Support Manager,
Service Delivery Manager, Customer Manager...

Too much chiefs, not enough indians.
But well, multinational companies, like Warner Bros are managed by financial people... They see two things : the income column and the expense column in an excel sheet. ( anything more complex will send them into a complete brain lockdown anyway )
As long as the income columns minus the expense column is positive they won't look into things... if it goes negative, they will start axing things methodically : culling the most expensive thing... then moving to the next one once the previous one can't be culled anymore.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2016 at 7:50pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I blame Icehouse EDGEs. 

That sounds like a lot of suffering.

They still sell Wild Irish Rose if you're that motivated.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Quis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 9:51pm:
That sounds like a lot of suffering.

They still sell Wild Irish Rose if you're that motivated.

Well I am a nigger so i also drink 40s and such.  Guess im a product of my environment. =)

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Quis wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 10:22pm:
Well I am a nigger so i also drink 40s and such.  Guess im a product of my environment. =)

But "Icehouse Edge"?  How is that not a fraternity beer?

Stick with 211 / St. Ide's. 

Or move on to Cisco or Wild Irish Rose if you're interested in improving your efficiency.

they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 3:35pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:14am:
St. Ide's.

special brew!! taking it back to my teen years

OldCoaly wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:14am:
Cisco

dis nigga  Grin
next you'll say colt45, malt liquor, like youre billy dee

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2016 at 6:09pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #15 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 3:35pm:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yhnFE8m_fQ

Looks like a frat party!  Keg and everything.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
LOL. Cordovan has closed the thread now.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
nowAvaultie wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:56pm:
LOL. Cordovan has closed the thread now.

Well yeah he even said why. Because it was posted on the weekend.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:01pm:
Well yeah he even said why. Because it was posted on the weekend.

And it only took him practically all day to close it! I mean, if you're offended by the thread and plan on closing it, why wouldn't you close it first thing in the morning? I'm sure the forums is one of the first things he does on Monday mornings, especially since they know there is usually some thread or another posted that they aren't going to like.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
nowAvaultie wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:54pm:
And it only took him practically all day to close it! I mean, if you're offended by the thread and plan on closing it, why wouldn't you close it first thing in the morning? I'm sure the forums is one of the first things he does on Monday mornings, especially since they know there is usually some thread or another posted that they aren't going to like.

Checking the forum comes after donut time.  And croissants.  And cinnamon rolls.  And those little Chick-Fil-A biscuit thingies.  Man's gotta have priorities.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
So, hammer?  Or just closure and an infraction?

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 4:21pm:
Checking the forum comes after donut time.  And croissants.  And cinnamon rolls.  And those little Chick-Fil-A biscuit thingies.  Man's gotta have priorities.

There were probably left over pies to eat too.
And it might have been bagel day.  And massage day too.
Monday's are really tough dudes.   Sad
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2016 at 9:33pm by PersonaNonGrata »  

IP Logged

Quis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 5:41pm:
So, hammer?  Or just closure and an infraction?

No infraction, just closure. And a mysterious heavy positive rep.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
nowAvaultie wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:54pm:

Unless you agreed with it, but were obligated to close it because the people who come out of that discussion stinking and surrounded by flies are upper management. Then you might understandably drag your feet a bit and get to it last  Grin

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint