Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) ranged and warlock nerfs (Read 20732 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

ranged and warlock nerfs
Dec 1st, 2017 at 8:05am
Print Post  
appears there is a ranged and warlock nerf incoming. new stat called missiles deflection. now ranged toons have to bypass dr/prr/ac/dodge/deflect arrows/missile deflection... get rekt bitches

also works for eldritch blasts lul

you're retarded if you think this won't be a big deal, let me save some time if you were going to post something like that. 75% cap for deflection

another thing; my dps times have got worse on lam. avg 33 seconds now when i was doing 24 previously with worse gear... if you have a thrower test it. some stealth nerfs?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: ranged and warlock nerfs
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 8:10am
Print Post  
oh 75% off locks btw lul

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 8:05am:
75% cap for deflection
Oh 75% off locks btw lul

Hrm.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Fuck dat.. im not tring all my toons again...haha

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Source?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:15am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Yeah.  I found it.  That's...interesting.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Isn't armour class supposed to do the same thing ?
Why another variable to even further complicate already hodgepodge system.

Oh and they are really taking bitching of shitty melees how casters and ranged are so much better seriously ? Lol.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:44am
Print Post  
The better solution would have been to buff medium and heavy armor AC such that it provides more protection from all ranged damage and melee damage.  And increase the ability to get more dodge while in medium and heavy armor. 

And then add a penalty to ranged RoF when wearing medium armor and heavy armor (25% RoF on medium.  50% on heavy armor.   Come on.  You can't throw stars or fire a bow as fast in full plate as you can in cloth or leather armor) and up the ASF penalties on medium and heavy armor.

Then you can give melees the chance to participate in high skulls and LE without making a CC wizard/warlock babysitter mandatory.  While keeping ranged and warlock/caster builds where they are. 

The solution to melee being disadvantaged in LE and high skulls was to buff melee in a way that doesn't add value for ranged or casting.  Not to nerf ranged and warlock DPS while adding something for players that doesn't really fix the problem.  Melees need better defense against melee attacks.  This doesn't solve the problem and just pisses people off.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:18am
Print Post  
meh. The older I get and the more other games I play the more I realize rebalancing and nerfing is totally fine, and frankly should be happening all the time, so players get used to it. Better to keep more content and items compelling than to protect people who found an overperforming build and never want to let it go.

If I still played a lot of DDO, I probably would start trying more non-throwing builds based on these changes, which is probably, long term, good for this game.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Took them quite a while to actually start balancing the game.
Maybe il come back in case i get bored from bns.
Worth to actually play ddo now? Im out of touch with this game for the past 6 months or so

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:34am:

Because MY NEW SYSTEM IS BESTEST NEW SYSTEM!!!

Asheras wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:44am:
The better solution would have been to buff medium and heavy armor AC such that it provides more protection from all ranged damage and melee damage.  And increase the ability to get more dodge while in medium and heavy armor. 

And then add a penalty to ranged RoF when wearing medium armor and heavy armor

Peasant.  Shows how much you know. 

First of all, none of the players understand anything about anything and all the players are peasants, therefore if the idea comes from a peasant player, it can't NOT be crap.

Second, your "solution" would require examining, understanding, and modifying extant systems, and everyone knows everything old is crap.  Why learn how something works when you can add a bullet point to your resume?

Hurray 75% off Warlocks!

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:28am
Print Post  
I'd settle for being able to haste and damage boost at the same time on my fighter again.  Undecided

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:34am:
Isn't armour class supposed to do the same thing ?

Oh and they are really taking bitching of shitty melees how casters and ranged are so much better seriously ? Lol.

It's because the SSG devs have a severe lack of in-game knowledge.  They don't know how to play their own game at a high level and as a consequence, have no idea how to properly balance builds, nor what really should be balanced.  On top of that, they don't know their own, old code well enough to properly fix it even if they did know how builds really worked.  All they're left with is slapping more bandaid fixes like this on top of the mountain of bandaids that's already leaking pus.

All they know how to do anymore is add power creep for power creep's sake and put in new, copy/paste grinds for grind's sake to keep people on the treadmill.

It's like they're intentionally trying to drive away the rest of the meta gamers so that the only players left will be the casual, complacent sheep and fanbois who say thank you while happily slurping up whatever crap SSG is serving them because they don't know any better.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:54am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 8:05am:
another thing; my dps times have got worse on lam. avg 33 seconds now when i was doing 24 previously with worse gear... if you have a thrower test it. some stealth nerfs?

I noticed that something seemed off DPSwise in a Deathwyrm run on live a few days ago.  Until you mentioned this, I had assumed I was just rusty or not remembering the DPS levels properly. 

I haven't been running the shuri as much lately though so I coulbe mistaken but it seemed off enough that I went through all my equipped gear, PL stances, etc. to make sure everything was equipped, turned on and the dex, doubleshot and ranged power numbers were correct.  Didn't find anything out of sorts so who knows.

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:02pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
armor class would nerf melee and ranged together. Missile deflections perfectly hits warlocks and ranged characters.

Only problem is that it also nerfs bow characters and non shuri throwers which frankly need a buff vs Xbow and Shuriken

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:24am:
Because MY NEW SYSTEM IS BESTEST NEW SYSTEM!!!

^

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:18am:
meh. The older I get and the more other games I play the more I realize rebalancing and nerfing is totally fine, and frankly should be happening all the time, so players get used to it. Better to keep more content and items compelling than to protect people who found an overperforming build and never want to let it go.

If I still played a lot of DDO, I probably would start trying more non-throwing builds based on these changes, which is probably, long term, good for this game.

That's the thing.  The devs don't know how to play their own game well enough to understand what really needs to be balanced or nerfed.   They keep tweaking the wrong things because they listen to a small group of very vocal, mediocre players who don't know how to play the game at a high level either.

I've been running melee builds for the last few months while getting PLs just for a change of pace from shuricannons and warlocks.  My current build does noticeably higher single target DPS than a shuricannon (outside of unbridled burns).  It makes the shuricannon's kill rate feel kind of slow in a lot of missions.

Shuris still win at burst DPS due to fury and in missions with lots of mobs in long, straight hallways, but outside of that, I think good melee builds are stronger overall.   Even with their increased fire rate, the poor crit profiles and low base dmg of shurikens make it hard to complete with melee builds running high base dmg weapons with 14-20x4/5/6 crit profiles, >40% attack speed, >60% doublestrike, and nearly 200 melee power.  I'm getting 5k+ crits with high frequency on my melee build.  The only thing it lacks is a consistent source of AE damage.

It's funny, SSG keeps nerfing warlocks because because of the whiners on the mobos, but in regards to DPS/killing speed over the course of extended gameplay, it's DC casters > melee > shuricannons > warlocks~xbows~shiradis etc.

Melee builds have two main problems right now, at least at end-game. 
1) The one-shot death design in high-skull reaper is overly punitive towards mediocre melee builds.  It is possible to roll a melee build that can survive in high skull reaper, but the build choices to accomplish that are extremely limited and require more skill to run properly than the average DDO player has.  Ranged builds are obviously not affected nearly as much by the one-shot death design since they don't have to stand within melee range to function.
2) The best DPS melee builds have limited options for AE damage.  That limitation has become much more noticeable given the design theme of all the new, high-end content has gravitated towards requiring you to clear large hordes of trash mobs rather than tougher, smaller groups of mobs.  That's the big advantage warlocks and ranged builds have.  While they do less single-target DPS overall, they can easily hit multiple mobs at once.  There's a reason Dance of Death is considered a must-have skill on a ranger melee DPS build.

SSG could fix a lot of the balance problems if they would provide more options for melee builds to avoid one shot deaths and give them better AE skills. 
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:46pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:43pm:
it's DC casters > melee > shuricannons > warlocks~xbows~shiradis etc.

Don't disagree much but warlock is perfectly fine DC caster.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
there must have been massive changes or you run with newbs because no one was out killing xbows or proper throwers 6 months when I was last playing regularly. DC casters obviously were top notch and hanging with the ranged characters, but they were not ahead and on bosses they could basically fuck off and no one would notice.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #20 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:02pm:
I noticed that something seemed off DPSwise in a Deathwyrm run on live a few days ago.  Until you mentioned this, I had assumed I was just rusty or not remembering the DPS levels properly. 

I haven't been running the shuri as much lately though so I coulbe mistaken but it seemed off enough that I went through all my equipped gear, PL stances, etc. to make sure everything was equipped, turned on and the dex, doubleshot and ranged power numbers were correct.  Didn't find anything out of sorts so who knows.

I don't think just Ranged Deflection that's being brought to bear on Ranged and Warlock builds...

There seemed to be a dramatic uptick in the number and frequency of Champ and Reaper spawns, even on low skulls.

It used to be I'd run into maybe 1 or 2 Reapers in Sissy Skulls, now I'm running into 2 and 3 per mob of trash. And I can expect fully 30-50% of any group to be "Ugly Champs" with the nasty All-everything-bypass-no-resistance-damage-type abilities.

Those were rare in Pussy Skulls even 2 weeks ago... Now they are the norm.

Maybe it's just my usual bad luck, but I'm seeing it on every toon on multiple servers... so if 1 is chance, and 2 is a coincidence then 3 is a pattern.

I think some of the other posters got it right: Lack of in game knowledge is crippling the devs ability to handle this game correctly.

What's the answer? Well, I'm not an 0ob3r l33t LE 10-skulls ePeen... So that's outside my ken.

Maybe simply add qualitative scaling to those builds like they're already doing with Warlock party scaling? Work it so that scaling is affected by the number of melees?

The problem is so out of control now that there aren't any "good" answers (since they require competence and skill to execute See: "Don't know their own game" above) only "less bad" ones.

But figuring out how to get more than 2 or 3 builds back into the hunt for this game is a good idea, even if "Ranged Deflection" is about as terrible an idea as is humanly possible.  Roll Eyes

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 2:05pm:
There seemed to be a dramatic uptick in the number and frequency of Champ and Reaper spawns, even on low skulls.

It used to be I'd run into maybe 1 or 2 Reapers in Sissy Skulls, now I'm running into 2 and 3 per mob of trash. And I can expect fully 30-50% of any group to be "Ugly Champs" with the nasty All-everything-bypass-no-resistance-damage-type abilities.

Nah.. been doing this for months.. on & off. I had a weekend where I was running around in Reapers solo.. didn't matter which skull, 1, 2, 3, or 4... every fucking room was a mass mob that makes tactics nothing more then attack, and slow retreat.. or lob and run, come back lob & run.. etc... with 3-6 godamn reaper wraiths every room.

When you've got multiple stacks of slow on your ass.. things get interesting real fucking fast.  Angry

IP Logged

Satanscock
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
every mob get Agent Smith skills

we Matrix now

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 2:01pm:
there must have been massive changes or you run with newbs because no one was out killing xbows or proper throwers 6 months when I was last playing regularly. DC casters obviously were top notch and hanging with the ranged characters, but they were not ahead and on bosses they could basically fuck off and no one would notice.

Or maybe you were the one running with newbs.   See how that works? 

Let's assume that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to shuricannons and stop playing that stupid game.  My previous posts on the topic should be enough evidence to support the assumption.  Additionally, shuricannons are my favorite build type and play style to run so if anything, I'm biased towards them, not against them.

IPS is the biggest factor that makes shuricannons appear stronger than melee.  A good shuricannon will often kill a couple mobs in a horde before melee even get in melee range but there's a big difference between "out killing" and "doing more raw DPS".  In particular, if you think xbow builds were more raw DPS than top-tier melee, you're way off base.

I assure you there are melee builds that bring just as much, if not more, DPS to the table than shuricannons do outside of that 30s of glory every 5 minutes known as Unbridled Fury.  I've run with a couple of players who just roflstomp things on a melee build.  I do think there are far fewer highly skilled melee players than there are shuricannons these days.  I think that tends to skew the perception of power in favor of the shuricannons. 

Good players are rare in DDO.  Good shuricannons, moreso.  Top-tier melee DPS players are near unicorn level rarity, but they do exist and you'll know when you actually see one.

I suspect part of the issue is that until we had reaper, trash mobs had low enough hit points that there was little practical difference in hitting/critting for 2k (shuri) vs 6k+ (melee).  Either one generally equals a dead mob in EE.  In reaper, that doesn't necessarily hold true and thus, the difference in raw DPS becomes easier to see.

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2017 at 5:01pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #24 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 2:05pm:
I don't think just Ranged Deflection that's being brought to bear on Ranged and Warlock builds...

Those were rare in Pussy Skulls even 2 weeks ago... Now they are the norm.

Maybe it's just my usual bad luck, but I'm seeing it on every toon on multiple servers... so if 1 is chance, and 2 is a coincidence then 3 is a pattern.

I think some of the other posters got it right: Lack of in game knowledge is crippling the devs ability to handle this game correctly.

What's the answer? Well, I'm not an 0ob3r l33t LE 10-skulls ePeen... So that's outside my ken.

Maybe simply add qualitative scaling to those builds like they're already doing with Warlock party scaling? Work it so that scaling is affected by the number of melees?

The problem is so out of control now that there aren't any "good" answers (since they require competence and skill to execute See: "Don't know their own game" above) only "less bad" ones.

But figuring out how to get more than 2 or 3 builds back into the hunt for this game is a good idea, even if "Ranged Deflection" is about as terrible an idea as is humanly possible.  Roll Eyes

I think you misunderstood.  I don't think the ranged deflection thing is live yet. 

I'm more inclined to suspect that SSG unintentionally broke something related to shuri builds.  Or maybe they stealth nerfed something but Occam's Razor being what it is, unintentional incompetence on their part is the most likely explanation.

Either way, I have no concrete data or proof so there's not much else I can say until someone with the free time and dedication cares to dig deeper into to it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint