Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic speaking of pointless mobo shit... (Read 5304 times)
Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

speaking of pointless mobo shit...
Jan 10th, 2019 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Zhen is wearing out his fingerprints on his keyboard typing in excellent analyses of impediments to grouping and solutions in the latest server merge thread. 
  SSG doesn't give 2 shits about grouping, if they did, they could have a permanent 5% xp bonus, or even 2% bonus per player running.  That is zero dev time, zero effort, zero thinking, that would make grouping "a thing" in DDO.  Oh, they can sell you 50% xp, easy peasy, but give away 10% free to make the game better for everyone, oh no, that is not how it works.  The dev focus on DDO is all over the map, there is absolutely no direction, no overarching design philosophy, well if you consider "ad hok" a philosophy, then ok they have one.  But in all their crazy directions and decisions, grouping is definitely not a factor in any of them.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: speaking of pointless mobo shit...
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I agree with a lot of the mentioned limitations in grouping currently. 

Even your ideas about xp are all well and good but they don't fix the base issues.  That might help at/near cap, but 1-25 or so  has a bigger issue.

The bigger issues are super restrictive BB system and super restrictive Reaper system and BB vs. Reaper XP systems being different and just limiting level ranges (and thus grouping options).

As well as difficulties removing barriers to running quests in a group, like easy quest acquisition, easy teleport to quest location, etc.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:03pm:
I agree with a lot of the mentioned limitations in grouping currently. 

Even your ideas about xp are all well and good but they don't fix the base issues.  That might help at/near cap, but 1-25 or so  has a bigger issue.

The bigger issues are super restrictive BB system and super restrictive Reaper system and BB vs. Reaper XP systems being different and just limiting level ranges (and thus grouping options).

As well as difficulties removing barriers to running quests in a group, like easy quest acquisition, easy teleport to quest location, etc.      

Yes, he's absolutely spot on, no question. But how long did it take to remove the group death penalty if someone died.  When buddy bonuses are active more LFMs go up and that could be done without any work at all, the rest of the stuff you have listed all requires either major or minor reworks.  But they aren't even going for the low hanging fruit, it simply not a concern that merits traction by SSG...
  Personally, I think BB is an annoying and stupid mechanic that should be stripped from the game, just put BB into the first time hard and elite bonuses and be done with it.  SSG should never have created a bravery marshall...  but again, when your ship has no rudder, and all 5 captains are shouting orders... 
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:58pm by Tspoon »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Link?

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:25pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:59am
Print Post  
It's that time of the month again...  Roll Eyes Grin

Lets be honest, the Merge Monster is so big that SSG is not going to even try to come near it.  Especially now that the servers are on virtual machines.
The best way from their point of view is to wait for all the people that matter to drift through transfers on 2 or 3 servers and just let the other ones rot.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:59am:
It's that time of the month again...  Roll Eyes Grin

Lets be honest, the Merge Monster is so big that SSG is not going to even try to come near it.  Especially now that the servers are on virtual machines.
The best way from their point of view is to wait for all the people that matter to drift through transfers on 2 or 3 servers and just let the other ones rot.

Agreed, but this seems to be the DDO way, wait till the flesh under the bandaid is rotted and then put on a different bandaid on the rotted flesh when the old one sloughs off...  They should simply close the 2 lowest pop servers, offer free transfers and some guild compensation to jumpstart their guild ships.  Keep the market place instance and guild ships available for those worlds, but nothing else, so when players return they can do whatever  they need to do to transfer. When they log in, have a message that says this server has be closed here is a link on the forums for what to do...  They really should bite the bullet and merge down to one "server", regardless of the presumed pain, it would have massive benefits that far outweigh the problems.  We already know that they could institute an essentially endless amount of bank space if the fucking forum whiners were willing to loose the bank and backpack format.  Again, I point to that video of Sev outside of Denny's, this is "the guy", he is the dude.  We are expecting him to be the visionary and make those critical hard decisions....  uh huh...

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
servers can't stomach a merge anyway.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:22pm:
servers can't stomach a merge anyway.

Prove it.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
A server merge could be done with ease, or at least a server delete could.  Just offer the server transfer item in the store for free, 1 per toon, and only make the offer available to the residents of the server you want to nuke.  Let people bleed themselves off.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 14th, 2019 at 6:32pm:
Prove it.

Well, I am basing this on the increase in lag of the default server.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 10:57am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 14th, 2019 at 6:32pm:
Prove it.

Snu Snu wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:47pm:
Well, I am basing this on the increase in lag of the default server.

I came to the same conclusion from years of playing. Especially in the 2010-2011 era. The massive lag in all raids, especially ToD and Shroud. Legit the game was unplayable at peak times. Turbine had their head up their asses the entire time. "Lets reduce lag by reducing the sounds effects per melee swing and removing the Fvs lantern archon light effect".

Deathwyrm raid was a shit show. Not only did you have unplayable lag. The raid itself has got to be one of the worst designed raids ever. Who tf wants to be doing puzzles the majority of the raid??! Thank fuck you could dupe the phlogs.

DoJ was unplayable along with being a shit raid. Just a timed horde survival raid with the chance of getting cheesed by the stupid angels/mobs if you lag.

I assumed the more people per server the more laggy it gets. Although someone on the vault said with their new servers it doesnt matter how many people are on one server but instead how many total people are playing at the same time? idk

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 10:57am:
I came to the same conclusion from years of playing. Especially in the 2010-2011 era. The massive lag in all raids, especially ToD and Shroud. Legit the game was unplayable at peak times. Turbine had their head up their asses the entire time. "Lets reduce lag by reducing the sounds effects per melee swing and removing the Fvs lantern archon light effect".

Deathwyrm raid was a shit show. Not only did you have unplayable lag. The raid itself has got to be one of the worst designed raids ever. Who tf wants to be doing puzzles the majority of the raid??! Thank fuck you could dupe the phlogs.

DoJ was unplayable along with being a shit raid. Just a timed horde survival raid with the chance of getting cheesed by the stupid angels/mobs if you lag.

I assumed the more people per server the more laggy it gets. Although someone on the vault said with their new servers it doesnt matter how many people are on one server but instead how many total people are playing at the same time? idk

It's 2019.  Distributed computing anyone?  clusters anyone?  virtual machine?  Bueller!!  This is an instanced game, the entire concept of a stand alone hardware server disappeared at least 5 years ago.  If SSG had any chops they could simply merge maintain the "server identity" in common areas via the same instance tech they use now, only it would be Thelanis-1 and Khyber- and Kyhber-2 and you could choose where you go.  The quests and raids are already stand alone.  But the base tech is retarded, having things associated with a toon name is just the tip of the iceberg that is the disaster of the underlying code for DDO... But someone with talent could probably unravel it, or not... I'm not a coder so mostly full of shit.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:43pm by Tspoon »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:42pm:
It's 2019.  Distributed computing anyone?  clusters anyone?  virtual machine?  Bueller!!  This is an instanced game, the entire concept of a stand alone hardware server disappeared at least 5 years ago.  If SSG had any chops they could simply merge maintain the "server identity" in common areas via the same instance tech they use now, only it would be Thelanis-1 and Khyber- and Kyhber-2 and you could choose where you go.  The quests and raids are already stand alone.  But the base tech is retarded, having things associated with a toon name is just the tip of the iceberg that is the disaster of the underlying code for DDO... But someone with talent could probably unravel it, or not... I'm not a coder so mostly full of shit.

erm, did you miss sthe big change that occured something like 5 years ago?
When they Virtualized the servers and the lag-fest was even worse than usual due to poor VM implementation.

For the rest you have to remember that DDO was developped in an era of single threaded single core processors and that the Pentium D ( aka the first relatively easy to get dual core single thread per core processor ) just came out a few months before the release of DDO. Going multithread and multicore to get the whole game more spread out on a given system would mena completely rewirting the game engine... not gonna happen with the money SSG is making.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 12:34pm:
When they Virtualized the servers and the lag-fest was even worse than usual due to poor VM implementation.

For the rest you have to remember that DDO was developped in an era of single threaded single core processors and that the Pentium D ( aka the first relatively easy to get dual core single thread per core processor ) just came out a few months before the release of DDO. Going multithread and multicore to get the whole game more spread out on a given system would mena completely rewirting the game engine... not gonna happen with the money SSG is making.

Not talking about the client. Just because SSG fucked up the transfer to their cluster, doesn't mean it doesn't work.  In some ways it's clear that some lag problems are code related and no matter how much cpu allocation is devoted the problem with still be there, but issues with merging servers has nothing to do with some hardware limitation, other than the cost of taking more cpu and memory overhead from whatever cloud servers they currently hide in, costs more money per month.  The real problems is, in my opinion, and again I am out of my depth, is the non-scalable  dependencies written into the code, like toon name dependance, rather than account and some random hash thingie, AND the fact that things like guild ships would have to redone.  Honestly, I don't understand why they can't create a token for the guild leader with the current guild level of that guild to be used to instaboost that guild on the server they are transferred to...  in an instanced game it just can't be that hard to merge the common areas, the instances are already server independant..
*edit: I also don't think lack of multicore client threading should hamper a game as old and simplistic as DDO, most games still make poor use of threading, if I am not mistaken
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2019 at 1:20pm by Tspoon »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #15 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 1:17pm:
*edit: I also don't think lack of multicore client threading should hamper a game as old and simplistic as DDO, most games still make poor use of threading, if I am not mistaken

Correct. It wouldn't hamper multicore or multithreaded CPUs.

But DDO wouldn't really fair any better on them either. Software must also be multithread-capable in order for multithreaded CPUs to help and DDO is not a multithread app and never will be without it being totally redone, probably as DDO2.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2019 at 2:08pm by Technomage »  

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 2:05pm:
Correct. It wouldn't hamper multicore or multithreaded CPUs.

But DDO wouldn't really fair any better on them either. Software must also be multithread-capable in order for multithreaded CPUs to help and DDO is not a multithread app and never will be without it being totally redone, probably as DDO2.

But additionally, the performance of single threaded operations comparing CPUs from 2006 to now is substantially more powerful.  Lack of threading capable code is not an issue for any aspect of DDO performance, or the ability to merge server populations, it's just a very bad code base, never properly designed to handle the current complexity...

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 2:55pm:
Lack of threading capable code is not an issue for any aspect of DDO performance, or the ability to merge server populations, it's just a very bad code base, never properly designed to handle the current complexity...

So true.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #18 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 2:55pm:
But additionally, the performance of single threaded operations comparing CPUs from 2006 to now is substantially more powerful.  Lack of threading capable code is not an issue for any aspect of DDO performance, or the ability to merge server populations, it's just a very bad code base, never properly designed to handle the current complexity...

The current complexity is directly resultant of Turbine's culture of "nothing that anyone did before is as important as what I'm going to do next".  None of us know how good or bad the code base was in 2006, but not even Kernighan & Ritchie could have created an environment that would survive Fernando and crew shitting all over it with half-finished "new systems" two or three times a year for over a decade.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #19 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 12:34pm:

Huh?
I was using DEC Alphas with 64 processors running DigitalUnix along side my PowerPC dual cores around the mid-late '90s in my server rooms. The DEC Alphas with Windows NT were only running 4 processors at the time. Hearing the sound of 100 of those doing DNS duties was overkill.

The OS is what allowed the proper threading...and also why Windows file compression was crap!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Jan 29th, 2019 at 11:05pm:
Huh?
I was using DEC Alphas with 64 processors running DigitalUnix along side my PowerPC dual cores around the mid-late '90s in my server rooms. The DEC Alphas with Windows NT were only running 4 processors at the time. Hearing the sound of 100 of those doing DNS duties was overkill.

The OS is what allowed the proper threading...and also why Windows file compression was crap!

Ok, if you go that way I was playing with SUN Servers ( with Sparc and Ultra Sparc processors ) and HP Servers with HP-PA processors at that time.
( with their respective OSes ).

The point was that proper multi core, multi thread both at the processor and the OS level wasn't something common before the Pentium D and the relevant Windows ( W2K and XP ) after that it slowly drifted from the geeks and gamers to the general population, and now you have to search very hard to end up with a single core single thread computer. ( and you're going to pay it real cheap )

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Jan 29th, 2019 at 11:05pm:
Huh?

You have to remember flav is in France.   He was still dealing with x.25 and frame relay at the time.   They are generally about a decade behind US server tech in Europe.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Wow... this thread went off the topic quickly (although it was tangentially relevant).

I went back and read that entire MOBO thread, and there were some valid points made.

I absolutely believe marketing is a blind spot for SSG... I only learned about DDO while cruising the internet and it was referred to obliquely in another article I was reading. I had to track it down myself. That's enough to give any competent marketing consultant fits, if they heard it.

Which means one of 4 things for SSG:

1) They don't want to market aggressively.
2) They don't know HOW to market aggressively.
3) They are in some way PROHIBITED (licensing issues, or WotC considering NWNO their D&D flagship cuz Perfect World have more money to burn on licensing) from marketing aggressively.
4) All of the above.

I would also agree that the new player experience is fucking awful. The hackneyed "shipwrecked on a beach" start and Korthos quests are just plain clunky and ugly. There's nothing about that experience to draw a new player in.

The fact you can't even choose where to start the game is stupid (I realize that a fixed starting point is a standard MMO concept to save time, but come on...). If that at least LOOKED cool, that'd be something. But nope. How many years since MotU and you still can't start a non-Iconic character in FR? Now Sharn is set to roll out, the DEFAULT start point for 90% of Eberron campaigns and it's set for what? Level 15 Heroic?

I call bullshit.

I recently rolled up a mule on a new account, and had to live the agony of the new player f2p experience: 1 AH item MAX, PP limited severely by level, and no way to open quests Elite, and the quests you could play were ugly, boring, low XP, Hella Lame dross from 2006. So now I can't group or run content even if I can keep up with a TR train zerging through carrying me. That's a bad way to capture interest and create retention.

I don't know that merging servers is the answer (or if it's even realistically possible), but removing some outdated and arbitrary barriers to entry (like when they ditched the Leveling Tokens) would be a definite step in the right direction.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #23 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 1:42pm:
Wow... this thread went off the topic quickly (although it was tangentially relevant).

What did you expect ? This is The Vault, we have a reputation to uphold.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #24 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 11:16am:
What did you expect ? This is The Vault, we have a reputation to uphold.

Indeed. The place really oughta be renamed "The Vault of Irrelevance".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint