Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Epic Level & Iconic TR (Read 76005 times)
GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Re: Epic Level & Iconic TR
Reply #275 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:15pm:

Now *this* was not worthless.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #276 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Option 2: Keep Epic Destiny XP System
When Epic TR-ing, a character selects one maxed out ED that he/she will acquire the Past Life feat for. This Epic Destiny is then flagged. (Starting out, you cannot get more than one copy of each ED’s past life feat.) The character then starts at level 1, but all ED XP is preserved at whatever levels it was at.

This is reasonable.  Every other option presented so far is not acceptable.  It gives a reason for TRing at level 28 instead of TRing at level 20.  Whether it's a "good" or "bad" reason will remain to be seen.  I don't have much faith in the designers to create ED past life feats that are good and work within a year of the system's release.

IP Logged

kavinsky
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #277 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:41pm:
This is reasonable.  Every other option presented so far is not acceptable.  It gives a reason for TRing at level 28 instead of TRing at level 20.  Whether it's a "good" or "bad" reason will remain to be seen.  I don't have much faith in the designers to create ED past life feats that are good and work within a year of the system's release.

Then again, if we're going to TR anyway, and we *don't* lose epic destiny experience, then option two there makes not one whit of difference to us if they are shit feats.

I'd happily take option 2, even if it is a bait-and-switch and a straight lift off here.

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #278 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/418543-Epic-Level-amp-Iconic-TR/page64...

Originally Posted by Cableman 
So you're going to reimburse Epic XP on a 1:1 scale even though Epic XP comes with about a 300% bonus? You will have people just farming Epic XP, cashing it in for Heroic just to run Epic again. Rinse, repeat and more than likely you will see your first epic completionist in less than a month.

Vargouille's post
One goal is to fairly reimburse time invested without promoting Epic vs. Heroic based on XP/minute.

The XP ratio hasn't been stated nor determined for reasons you make obvious. This is one of those places where it doesn't even make sense for us to worry deeply about the numbers unless it's decided the idea in general could make any sense. (We know players always love seeing the numbers, but if we went in this direction we'd likely just going to go look at and see how much XP/minute players are actually getting at different levels to figure out a ratio. 1:1 isn't special. It could be 1:3 or 3:1 or pi:e:i.)

Another goal is allowing efficiently earning of heroic class-based past lives while playing epic content. Right now it's "wasteful" to play epic if your primary concern is past lives.

Another goal is to not make heroic reincarnation better than Epic Destiny reincarnation, making it still often "right" to do heroic reincarnation instead of ever playing epic. We of course expect that Epic Destiny reincarnation should be better in some way(s), because it's more effort to achieve it.

Fate Points: An example dive into some details
We are aware of concerns with Fate Points under any proposal. They are somewhat tricksy.

We could consider having characters "remember" how many they had. However, we don't consider it viable to let you gain more Fate Points as you regain Destiny XP (should we choose to go forward with any of proposal where any kind of XP is lost, whether from one destiny or many). That leads to infinite or at least "quite a lot" of Fate Points in the long run. That unfortunately means that if we simply blindly preserve your total but don't let you accumulate more until you would have more: The right thing to do is never TR until you have maxed out all Epic Destinies. We know that some players like to break up earning Destinies with reincarnation, and we would like to support that.

There are some corollary changes we could consider (a system where Destiny levels still earns more Fate Points up to the normal cap, for example) that might work, but the more complicated the proposal the less likely we are to want to use it. Complexity is inherently undesirable for corollaries such as this, in terms of designing the solution, making sure it covers all the bases, making sure all players understand it (including most players who never read the forums, let alone post), and of course actually implementing it... and implementing correctly. The more complicated it is the more likely there are bugs (or even perceived bugs, or just plain confusion, which impact enjoyment of DDO regardless).

This is just one example of topics we've discussed lately. Please don't take this as an indication that we're obviously going with something that causes Destiny XP loss because we've explored this. We're trying many other ideas on like hats, and trying to get it right from the start, exploring some issues now before we pick a single proposal or get near implementing anything. There's quite a lot of other topics brought up internally and on this thread that matter (both to us and to you!)

Originally Posted by Kers 
How about actually coding in several options at TR, where the player can select the one that they prefer. Don't perma-lock them into that option by giving the choices again the next time they TR.
This is unlikely because there's lots of other things we could do with that development time, which we suspect most players would prefer. It's still easy enough to find non-TR threads where players have plenty of other ideas we can work on. If implementing many options were quick, easy, and unlikely to generate bugs we'd consider it, but Reincarnation doesn't fall into that category, and reincarnation bugs are quite frustrating (for everyone).

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #279 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Piloto's latest post:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/418543-Epic-Level-amp-Iconic-TR/page63...
Option 1: XP “Bank” System
When Epic TR-ing, a character selects one ED to bond and then transfers all other ED XP into an XP Bank that can be used at any time to level through heroic levels. Example: A character has five maxed ED’s at level 28. They Epic TR, bond one ED, and then get roughly enough XP to take them back to level 20 in their new life and still have, let’s say, 1,000,000 XP left over to use in their following heroic life (to use at whatever level they want). This option could also come with a onetime opportunity to bond multiple ED’s in one TR (to help those invested in the current system to transfer to the new).

I'm not thrilled with that idea in principle, but the part in red is at least less shitty than I expected.  I figured they'd just start you off with that XP and then you'd level normally.  Letting you take it at the time of your choosing at least lets you skip the XP grind section of your choice.

Still not NEARLY enough to make up for the umpteen million XP that many players will lose when they TR after leveling up through all of their EDs.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #280 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:26pm:
They ought to just ask a local waitress at Chili's to design the system. She couldn't possibly do any worse.

And we could get some chips and salsa while we waited!

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #281 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
At least they are looking at other options.  Neither of those two options are as terrible as what they had before.  I could live with either of them. 

If I had 8 million XP in a bank from capping all destinies (assuming only 1 heroic per 2 epic) and could use it for the last 2 million XP on the TR (Level 16 is at 2.4 million) That would make 4 TR's very smooth.

The second option is even better.

But in any case, I like that they are looking for a solution.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #282 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
This is sounding a lot like enhancements a year ago. Float some (mostly bad) ideas, get a lot of thought and solid feedback from players, make some vague promises about reflecting on the feedback, and then ignore it all.

Expectation level: low, as always.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #283 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:31pm:
This is sounding a lot like enhancements a year ago. Float some (mostly bad) ideas, get a lot of thought and solid feedback from players, make some vague promises about reflecting on the feedback, and then ignore it all.

Expectation level: low, as always.

This.  Who wants to make a bet that they'll just ignore other options and implement glin's original idea exactly as it was described? 

Also, no changes to enhancement alpha.  Calling it now.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #284 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 6:07pm:
If nothing else the post is good damage control

Yup, nothing more, nothing less... Producer Chiming in to do some damage control.

Probably because since the talks on that has started they have seen in statistics a decrease of login and or other stuff, this added to the Forum Rage starts to worry them.

Maybe we should start telling the net medias about the upcoming NGE ( with two blades : Enhancement Crash and TR Fail ) for DDO... After all it worked for the Offer Wall.

Piloto's latest post:

They seems to be dead set into killing the ED XPs...

Instead of fucking up TR, they should rebuild an End-Game... Once it has been done, the way to handle Epic TR will be obvious.

( and the new update is going to fuck up even more the end game as there won't be any fucking LVL 28 raid )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

painkiller
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #285 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:16am:

( and the new update is going to fuck up even more the end game as there won't be any fucking LVL 28 raid )

this.  the expansion will be nothing more than an opportunity for the metagamers to abuse whatever epic:heroic xp conversion they use to rack up dozens of TRs.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2013 at 8:49am by painkiller »  

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #286 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Motivations, Intentions and Everything else aside...

I could wrap my mind around a system that offers 3 choices.

1) Heroic TR: At 20, EDs Not affected, Get Heroic PL
2) Epic TR: At 28, Flag One ED to get EPL in,  other EDs unchanged. Start Next life at level 1.
AND
3) Epic TR: At 28, Flag an ED to get EPL in.  AND Flag as many other EDs you wish to get Epic Advantage to start next life at a higher Heroic Level.

It preserves the current Heroic TR, HONORS those who have already Maxed EDs by allowing them to retain them through both Heroic and Epic TR if they wish and allows players the choice to Trade in ED/Epic earned XP for a head start in a new life.  This I believe would be attractive to new players and experienced players as well.

I think it would also honor the spirit of D&D which has seemed sorely lacking over the past year or so.   Major changes to house rules that screw players is a fast way work yourself out of the role of Dungeon Master.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Bjriand
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #287 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
I don't understand why people think option 2 is better unless they only plan on getting past lives on a few destinies.  Option 2 would preserve existing ED's, reset the one you wish to TR, but you will go back to level 1, no epic advantage, that means 4.378M XP back to 20 and another 6M or so back to 28.  Only 1.98M is actually used on a destiny unless they change the destiny xp or increase the destiny levels and xp.  I guess this is fine if you are only looking at 2-3 epic destiny past lives.

Option 1 grants a portion of your epic xp towards heroic (ratio unknown) and would put the player back at 20 very quickly working back on a destiny.

Either option means reaquring the epic xp, option 2 is the longer path to unlocking past lives.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #288 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:16am:
Yup, nothing more, nothing less... Producer Chiming in to do some damage control.

Probably because since the talks on that has started they have seen in statistics a decrease of login and or other stuff, this added to the Forum Rage starts to worry them.

Maybe we should start telling the net medias about the upcoming NGE ( with two blades : Enhancement Crash and TR Fail ) for DDO... After all it worked for the Offer Wall.

They seems to be dead set into killing the ED XPs...

Instead of fucking up TR, they should rebuild an End-Game... Once it has been done, the way to handle Epic TR will be obvious.

Not damage control, no tin foil hat stuff in sub numbers. I told you, times change.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #289 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Bjriand wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:15am:
I don't understand why people think option 2 is better unless they only plan on getting past lives on a few destinies.

I'm honestly in favor of option 2 because option 1 seems too complicated and too likely to end up screwed up in our favor. I agree with you that option 1 seems more likely to help the players (depending on the numbers) but it's overly complicated, too easy to get the numbers wrong, and unnecessary.

Edit: That's also why I still haven't posted on the boards. They haven't said anything about heroic TR'ing yet (that's reason number 1) and I can't decide how to respond to it not knowing that and given that they've given one complicated option and one simple option.

Also...can you tell us Maj...is the goal (in an ideal Turbine world...not necessarily in practice) to completely remove heroic TR'ing? I get the impression that what you guys are wanting is that ETR will be the only TR getting used after these changes. It would help in targeting our suggestions if we knew that what they are hoping is to just have 1 track basically - Epic TR, either coupled with an iconic or not. I get the impression that's the end game here...the mindset driving the changes...but wanted to see whether I was right on that thought or not.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:54am by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #290 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:46am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:32am:
Not damage control, no tin foil hat stuff in sub numbers. I told you, times change.

What about bank space? I have several TR toons with BtC stuff and am constantly running out of space. With all these new options for TR being discussed, is bank space also in the talks?

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #291 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:47am
Print Post  

What is done or not done in the enhancement pass will show anyone who's looking what kind of change we should expect.

I think a lot of energy is being squandered on this eTR discussion.  Seriously - this really only changes things for several people.  That's like five or six, right?

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #292 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:51am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:47am:
I think a lot of energy is being squandered on this eTR discussion.  Seriously - this really only changes things for several people.  That's like five or six, right?

:tinfoil hat on:

Perhaps this eTR discussion is meant to serve as a distraction to draw attention/heat away from the Enhancement changes?

:tinfoil hat off:
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:52am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #293 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:51am:
:tinfoil hat on:

Perhaps this eTR discussion is meant to serve as a distraction to draw attention/heat away from the Enhancement changes?

:tinfoil hat off:

Strange timing if that were the case. The enhancement buzz died down since we're not seeing any work from them at the moment. The right timing for a distraction would have been when the enhancement pass went up on Lam. Smiley

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #294 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:11am
Print Post  

I'm not sure why but I believe you.   

So this was really just a fishing expedition?

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #295 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Personally I'd take the banked exp - 1-20 gets old.  15-20 sucks no matter how you look at it, mostly due to lack of quests, and the new quests they are putting in at that level suck balls for exp.

I actually enjoy playing epic - and if we can get rid of the repetition penalty for epic play (what an idea) I'd personally rather work on ED's to cover 1-20 in my next life.

But that's just me.

It would be very nice to see option 1 combined with a locked destiny per epic TR - so on your 2nd epic life - you start with 1 destiny full up - your 3rd - with 3 - but with each TR you *continue to receive the exp for them*.

Something like that would reward people for working towards completionist - each new TR would make 1-20 faster - if you cap all your destinies you could essentially TR your heroic levels 'for free' - quite a reward for playing 20-28 + 1 destiny several times.

I still think Fate points need to be set in stone - the entire idea of how they unlock was to encourage people to grind out the destiny tree - if that's no longer encouraged there is no reason to make them such a PITA to get.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #296 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:47am
Print Post  

Times may change, but a leopard doesn't change his spots.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #297 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:10am
Print Post  

It is much harder to rebuild trust than it is to lose it. You are believable, but you are not Turbine. In fact, the reason you have more credibility over here than the rest of the organization put together is because you act nothing like what we have seen from Turbine in the past few years.

Even if you guys deliver on the enhancement pass, and not screw up EDs/TR, it will take years for the kernel of distrust to fade. That's just the way it is.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #298 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:10am:
Even if you guys deliver on the enhancement pass, and not screw up EDs/TR, it will take years for the kernel of distrust to fade. That's just the way it is.

We have much shorter memories than that.  if the ENH don't suck and they get rid of this stupid idea of resetting ED XP it'll be a lovefest all over again.

IP Logged

umeannothing
Stormreaver Piker

Wall building professional!

Reply #299 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:20am
Print Post  

If I read that right, you are confirming numbers are down.   Huh

And if that is the case, they are not doing damage control, but actively trying to find the sweet spot with the players.  Roll Eyes

And if that is also the case, then holy fucking hell, you mean things are changing?    Shocked

Surprise us then. We certainly won't be surprised if it goes back to what has become the normal.

MAGA!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Send TopicPrint