Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Epic Level & Iconic TR (Read 75810 times)
Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Epic Level & Iconic TR
Reply #300 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:14am:
We have much shorter memories than that.  if the ENH don't suck and they get rid of this stupid idea of resetting ED XP it'll be a lovefest all over again.

In the short term, sure, lovefest, Turbine can do no wrong for about a week, and we'll have Leslie, Turdh and postumus leading "We love the Devs" parades in the market. Long term? No way. The first time something goes wrong or there is a change, the entire history of the game will get dragged up again by players, all the way back to the WoP nerf or further. Turbine isn't the only leopard in the game, to use rest's comment.

It's like when your kids lie to you. After a while, it doesn't matter if they're telling the truth, you just don't believe anything they say. You're happy when they start being truthful again. But they still have to be consistently honest for a long time before you start automatically believing them again. And you'll always wonder whether they'll relapse, and never quite get back to the same level of trust.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

painkiller
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #301 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:14am:
We have much shorter memories than that.  if the ENH don't suck and they get rid of this stupid idea of resetting ED XP it'll be a lovefest all over again.

no i think that people who play the game as much as some of us do *want* it to be a lovefest...we *want* the game to do well and *want* turbine to provide stuff for us to eat up and we *want* to not have to be worried about a lesser reincarnation wiping out all ED stuff, etc etc etc.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #302 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:26am:
In the short term, sure, lovefest, Turbine can do no wrong for about a week, and we'll have Leslie, Turdh and postumus leading "We love the Devs" parades in the market. Long term? No way. The first time something goes wrong or there is a change, the entire history of the game will get dragged up again by players, all the way back to the WoP nerf or further. Turbine isn't the only leopard in the game, to use rest's comment.

We're a dying breed. 

There are so few of use long-time (and since I started in 2009 I'm not sure I can call myself that) players left and so many new people it's not funny.  If 10% of the active players even remember the Tempest nerfs (for which I'm still bitter) I'd be surprised.

The game's so full of new people who aren't gonna remember the old lies.

Look, i still won't pre-order anything and will buy this so called expansion when it's on sale.

If they are backing down on the ED XP reset, and it looks like they are, it's because they realized it'll cost them more money than it makes them.  This happens to coincide with our interests.

Leslie, Turdh and postumus really do need to die in a fire.  Fanbois of anything are the most terrible people in existence.  My old troll account started that "End of DC casting?" thread and hoards of these "everything is fine idiots" game out saying nothing is wrong.  One update later all we're seeing is Shiradi casters.  Typically the fanibois are too stupid to understand why they are wrong about everything.

i just can't hold a grudge, I'm an asshole who hangs out with other assholes and we all easily forgive each other.  I can let past stupidity of Turbine slide if they actually fix things.

The ENH pass is a start.

ETR without ass-raping ED XP is another start.

Do something to get as an actual end-game and I might even be happy.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #303 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:47am:
Times may change, but a leopard doesn't change his spots.

To be fair, the Head Leopard is no longer there. Perhaps his replacement will be a Tiger?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #304 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:14am:
This.  Who wants to make a bet that they'll just ignore other options and implement glin's original idea exactly as it was described? 

Also, no changes to enhancement alpha.  Calling it now. 

I'll take that bet.  An Otto's Box?  EE Visors?  5000 TP code? What do you want to bet?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #305 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:32am:
Not damage control, no tin foil hat stuff in sub numbers. I told you, times change.

Ok, I'll bite... I'll see how things go.

But honesty compels me to say that Glin, Vargouille, Piloto, Cordovan and Tolero have a very long way to go before we will trust anything they write. They will have to prove us many times in a short period of time that they can be trusted, because right now all of them are not far from earning a 'nando or F_o_S word replacement here for untrustworthyness.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #306 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:26am:

It's like when your kids lie to you. After a while, it doesn't matter if they're telling the truth, you just don't believe anything they say. You're happy when they start being truthful again. But they still have to be consistently honest for a long time before you start automatically believing them again. And you'll always wonder whether they'll relapse, and never quite get back to the same level of trust.

Honestly, if anyone is still pissed about the WoP nerf or anything from that time period, they need to get a life.  WoP was OP and redonk.  Changes to WoP or auto-crit on held mobs, or vorpals are a game balance issue and that's fine.  Changes to spells like Wail, etc.  Same thing.  Getting butt hurt about this stuff is just stupid. 

Wiping out 20 million ED XP is not a game balance issue.  It's a grind issue.  Screwing up the divine casters entirely in the Enhancment pass is, likewise, not a game balance issue.  Divines were not OP in their DPS or offensive casting.  No one could claim "needs to be nerfed.  Clerics are OP!"   If anything, they needed a little love.  The ONLY original class in the game with 1 PrE, and only a tier 2 PrE at that.  Talk about a red-headed step child. 

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #307 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:47am:
Times may change, but a leopard doesn't change his spots.

Wrong. So wrong.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #308 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:00pm:
To be fair, the Head Leopard is no longer there. Perhaps his replacement will be a Tiger?

NewGuy's "they recognize that several players are already very invested in Epic Destinies, this was absolutely part of the early design discussions" statement doesn't instill any confidence.

I don't believe that "Actually "several" may be overstating when we are talking about maxing out all EDs. There is a good portion of players that focus on TR, and others that run only to cap picking up a couple ED's then roll an Alt. There are also casual players that don't play every week and take a very long time to take a character through content." was a typo.

I believe that Glin and the people responsible for the eTR framework revealed in Glin's initial post really believe that it will have a net positive effect on cash flow, and that any bad will generated by it will be confined to the "several" people who will have to re-acquire the ED benefits they already unlocked.

I think someone did a cost-benefit analysis and somehow came to the conclusion that using the same old content but corralling players through a new mechanic for ED progression was "better" than addressing the root cause for the paths that players discovered and chose.

I don't see any evidence of novel thinking on the part of Turbine in that announcement thread.

If Glin had opened with:

Quote:
We're looking at making some enhancements to the TR framework, including some specific enhancements to TR as it relates to Epic Destinies.

We'd really like to give players more things to achieve with a high level TR type character (perhaps epic destiny past life feats, additional build points, but this hasn't been decided yet).

We've also been watching how many players currently go about earning ED XP, and we'd like to make that play experience more engaging for a wider audience.

We have some ideas, but we'd like to engage the community.  Tell us what you think.

If Glin had begun the dialogue with something that looked open-ended, he would have gotten most of the same information that's buried in that impossibly long thread, but it wouldn't have been as confrontational.

With some careful steering comments from Varg and Piloto, they probably could have gotten the community to propose the same crap that Glin dumped on us, but they would have had community buy-in.

I'm not seeing anything different here than I've already seen before.

The last time Jerry said "Nothing's set in stone" he was speaking about the possibility of reversing the forum consolidation.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #309 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:20pm:
The last time Jerry said "Nothing's set in stone" he was speaking about the possibility of reversing the forum consolidation.

I hope you're not still believing him...

Usually when he make a post like that I just consider what he tries to address and assume that what he is hiding is the exact opposite of what he writes... Usually I'm not far off.

Well if we go in colors, if he say it's white, I'd go for black, but I'll keep my mind open enough because it might be any other color except white.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #310 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:37pm:
I hope you're not still believing him...

Usually when he make a post like that I just consider what he tries to address and assume that what he is hiding is the exact opposite of what he writes... Usually I'm not far off.

Well if we go in colors, if he say it's white, I'd go for black, but I'll keep my mind open enough because it might be any other color except white.

Jerry is a mouthpiece for the company.  He toes the company line and says what his boss wants him to say.  He's not a dev, and based on his job title, should have little to no say in any major game development decisions.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #311 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:19pm:
Jerry is a mouthpiece for the company.  He toes the company line and says what his boss wants him to say.  He's not a dev, and based on his job title, should have little to no say in any major game development decisions.

yes, but he is the community manager, representative, whatever, so he should do more than spit out the corporate line... well actually he should be managing the community, right now beside threadlocking, infraction handing, and spitting out the party line he is not doing is job at being a link between us and Turbine

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #312 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 4:26pm:
yes, but he is the community manager, representative, whatever, so he should do more than spit out the corporate line... well actually he should be managing the community, right now beside threadlocking, infraction handing, and spitting out the party line he is not doing is job at being a link between us and Turbine

Jerry can do little more than that.

Despite his position, Jerry's nothing more than a little weasel without an original, independent thought in that empty space he calls his "mind."

Jerry is the PERFECT corporate mouthpiece for Turbine. He will have a job there for as long as he wants to stay.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2013 at 4:40pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #313 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:16am:
Instead of fucking up TR, they should rebuild an End-Game... Once it has been done, the way to handle Epic TR will be obvious.

Designing endgame would require developers to play endgame.  I don't want WoW-complicated boss fights, but there's got to be a better endgame challenge than the Truthful One loot piñata.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #314 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 7:30pm:
Designing endgame would require developers to play endgame.  I don't want WoW-complicated boss fights, but there's got to be a better endgame challenge than the Truthful One loot piñata.

You should see Sarlona pugs trying to complete EH FOT... heck, EN half the time.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #315 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
sarLOLna

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #316 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:02pm:
I'll take that bet.  An Otto's Box?  EE Visors?  5000 TP code? What do you want to bet?

How about $10 paypal. 

Here are the terms: if epic TRing results in losing all non-bonded destiny XP ( i.e., current destiny + destiny PL's) or more, you lose.  If epic TRing results in only losing one full destiny (or less) you win. 

Deal? If so, start a new thread on it. 
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:47pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #317 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:24am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:47pm:
How about $10 paypal. 

Here are the terms: if epic TRing results in losing all non-bonded destiny XP ( i.e., current destiny + destiny PL's) or more, you lose.  If epic TRing results in only losing one full destiny (or less) you win. 

That's a pretty crappy bet - and not what was proposed.

You said they'd implement the original posting without changes.

Considering that so far most options being considered have some kind of ED exp loss with various 'perks' for the trouble - the above bet would kind of stupid to make.

While options without exp loss look to be on the table - I wouldn't hold my breath for a second expecting that to happen. 

I'm happier trying to figure out what would make loosing that work compelling - rather than shit, because I'm a realist Smiley

IP Logged

painkiller
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #318 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:30am
Print Post  
why not make everybody happy?

powergamers want their time put in capping EDs to be worth something decent, Turbine wants people to play forgotten realms content.

for Epic TR - allow players to bind one ED, then put the rest of the ED XP into a bank.  it can be used in the following ways

a) at par for heroic xp
b) from 20-28 half into epic XP, half into EDs (e.g. spend 100000, 50000 goes to levelling up, 50000 goes to improving EDs)
c) once you're at 28 you can use any towards EDs at par

this would allow fairly decent value for time grinding (particularly with epic TR bonuses tbd and a bound ED).  there would still be quite a bit of time spent between 20-28, which i have to assume is what they want with no endgame raids and multiple new TR options

genius?  madness?

gives lots of options, for instance let's say i want to do heroic completionist but hate running 18-20, i can get 2,000,000 ED xp and just skip that part every life.  if i want to do completionist epic TR, it actually gets shorter every time (depending on xp penalty curve for multiple epic TRs)
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:32am by painkiller »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #319 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 11:02am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:47pm:
How about $10 paypal. 

I'd do $10 paypal, but with the terms as originally proposed by Glin.  If the Heroic and Epic TR both wipe out all unbonded ED XP when it goes live you win.  If they allow you to keep some or all ED XP or give you a trade off choice for your ED XP, then I win.

Glin's original proposal was a total shit sandwich.   Lose the XP and get nothing but an E-PL in one destiny.  There's no way that is going live.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #320 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 11:06am
Print Post  
painkiller wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:30am:

powergamers want their time put in capping EDs to be worth something decent, Turbine wants people to play forgotten realms content.

for Epic TR - allow players to bind one ED, then put the rest of the ED XP into a bank.  it can be used in the following ways

a) at par for heroic xp
b) from 20-28 half into epic XP, half into EDs (e.g. spend 100000, 50000 goes to levelling up, 50000 goes to improving EDs)

this would allow fairly decent value for time grinding (particularly with epic TR bonuses tbd and a bound ED).  there would still be quite a bit of time spent between 20-28, which i have to assume is what they want with no endgame raids and multiple new TR options

genius?  madness?

gives lots of options, for instance let's say i want to do heroic completionist but hate running 18-20, i can get 2,000,000 ED xp and just skip that part every life.  if i want to do completionist epic TR, it actually gets shorter every time (depending on xp penalty curve for multiple epic TRs)

I think it's genius personally. I think it's too easily exploitable (not the right word here as it's not an 'exploit' but it's the best I could come up with) but it sounds like that's the direction they want to go with things. I honestly wouldn't mind them doing the same thing on heroic TR's. Basically it takes away one thing - the ability to level to 20 and immediately have all epic destinies. But honestly that part's always been a bit hokey.

What it gives you is choices. If you didn't want to regrind ED's you have the choice to level back to 28 and have all your destinies back immediately. If you'd rather skip the beginning levels you have that as an option. Honestly I'd be tempted to do that not because of time but because of the parabolic nature of xp. I can burn less than a million xp out of nearly 20 million to get back to greensteel? Yes please!

I'm still in the camp that they should just go with option 2 from their most recent post but that's more because I trust them to implement it without mistakes or easily exploitable loopholes than that I think it's the better system for the players.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #321 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 11:29am
Print Post  
painkiller wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:30am:

a) at par for heroic xp

genius?  madness?

I don't think you get 1 for 1 value on Heroic XP when Epic XP is so bloated already.  No one would run level 18-20 on a heroic TR anymore.  If you can get 1 to 1 XP spend, you would buy that 1 million XP and then run Rusted Blades for 2 hours to get it back.  No way you can get the xp/min ratios in heroic content that you can from epic.   

You would end up with huge dead spots for grouping in the leveling process for those who did not have XP banked. 

I agree with the XP being 1 for 1 on spending it on re-leveling 20-28 and re-buying ED XP, but at heroic, you would have to go with 2 for 1.    

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #322 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I'm still giggling at Glin's "several people" comment. Bless him.

If I could, y'know, stay logged in for any length of time I would pop in to say more casual players that have worked on epic Destinies at all would be even more in the "fuck that, I'm not TRing" camp. Certainly I have neither the time not the energy to devote 40 hrs or so to Rusted Blades farming...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #323 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 4:39pm:
Jerry can do little more than that.

He could do a lot more, the way he handled the community ( lets say : badly ), made it so now he is a non entity. He could have been the man in between, the relay of ideas, the focal point, the person Turbine trusted to make announcements and the person the community trusted to explain when things were not what was wanted.

Right now MajMal is doing that job... And he doesn't get paid for that... he gets paid for rummaging through the heap of bug reports we write and harass the devs so that they get fixed once he is sure they are in fact bugs.

Edit, to add to Tere post : You know how the Swords are... well right now even the most devout TRers are considering leveling bank mules and/or buying character slots instead of TRing.
Some are even considering all the F2P accounts they made for the cubelet as another way to get more character slots free.
( oh and I won't even go into the Shadowfail thingie : while MoTU was bought by almost everybody in preorder with all the perks, less than half have bought Shadowfail... and not with all the perks. )

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2013 at 1:07pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #324 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 1:03pm:
He could do a lot more, the way he handled the community ( lets say : badly ), made it so now he is a non entity. He could have been the man in between, the relay of ideas, the focal point, the person Turbine trusted to make announcements and the person the community trusted to explain when things were not what was wanted.

Agreed...looking at the LOTRO forums shows that there are people at Turbine who give a fuck. Cordo is not that person. Neither is Tolero. MajMal IS doing that job. IS being a community rep and at least talking to the playerbase about the issues.

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 
Send TopicPrint