Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Cant play in this wretched state. Uninstalling DDO (Read 22282 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Cant play in this wretched state. Uninstalling DDO
Reply #50 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Mar 12th, 2016 at 7:59pm:
I think we need to come to a consensus. It's not the game that is falling to pieces but the current people running the game that is tearing our game apart. Once we do this, we can root out the problems, namely at least 5 individuals that need to be rooted out and make room for more passionate designers and individuals that have respect for the players and the D&D legacy.

It doesn't work that way.   As customers you can only choose to support the game or not support the game.  If enough choose to not support the game, they will end development and eventually shut it down.   Changing the team for a team that is more to the players liking isn't an option.   The player base isn't United enough nor does the player base have the ear of the right wb executives.   Even if that was something that was desired.   I personally feel like the current data center lag isn't the fault of the game devs.   Infrastructure and budget are outside their control most likely.   As for the direction of the game from a development perspective, a lot of stuff is an issue with legacy code/systems and budget constraints.   A different 5 guys with the same budget and code base will still have the same constraints.

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but
I'm not a fuckin' bastard

Reply #51 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Mar 12th, 2016 at 8:29pm:
I agree except for one teensey weensey detail - you said "we". How do "we" have any input at all?

I've cut my spending to a tenth or less of what it was 3 or 4 years ago. Realistically, what else is there to do? It sucks, but how are the shit heads not going to win this one?

Fuck Off wrote on Mar 12th, 2016 at 11:34pm:
They are not going to change.  Don't they still have a ladder bug or have people just become so accustomed to jumping on ladders that they didn't bother to even fix it? 

The people in charge didn't care then, they don't care now, they won't care in the future.  If you believe they will care enough to do something about the problems they have, I have a bridge for sale.

I have said these very same things in the past so I must admit I have no counterpoint or rebuttal for these comments.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but

Reply #52 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:41pm:
The player base isn't United enough nor does the player base have the ear of the right wb executives.   Even if that was something that was desired.

This is the most valid observation of the current state and there is one source why this is. Cordovan and the strawman army.

I personally feel like the current data center lag isn't the fault of the game devs.   Infrastructure and budget are outside their control most likely.   As for the direction of the game from a development perspective, a lot of stuff is an issue with legacy code/systems and budget constraints.   A different 5 guys with the same budget and code base will still have the same constraints. 

You of all people should be able to catch yourself before leaning into being an Turbine apologist. How many times have they ignored, detoured and flat out denied lag issues while in the same breath accusing players for years it was on their side? With this recent data center move, how hard was Cordovan and the devs beating their chests with bravado jumping on this being a solution to many of their own created ills? As far as content, you're partially right. But they want to make the game seemingly into a fanboi friendly cheese style nerf covered cookie cutter FPS type game now. Why would you feel you need to do hard work when your main paying player base sucks at playing anyway?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #53 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 2:47pm:
This is the most valid observation of the current state and there is one source why this is. Cordovan and the strawman army.

You of all people should be able to catch yourself before leaning into being an Turbine apologist. How many times have they ignored, detoured and flat out denied lag issues while in the same breath accusing players for years it was on their side? With this recent data center move, how hard was Cordovan and the devs beating their chests with bravado jumping on this being a solution to many of their own created ills? As far as content, you're partially right. But they want to make the game seemingly into a fanboi friendly cheese style nerf covered cookie cutter FPS type game now. Why would you feel you need to do hard work when your main paying player base sucks at playing anyway?

Let me clarify.  The decision to change data centers and the performance of said data center is probably not something any of the people we think of as "devs" had a voice in.  Devs are typically software programmers of some sort.  Except in the very smallest of start ups, most software programmers do not do infrastructure, networking, hardware, or OS work.  Those are very different skill sets.  That was my point.

I would agree with you, however, that this current group of devs has overly emphasized client side issues when discussing lag in the past and are overly focused on client side, trace routes, DNS and packet routing issues (all of which are exterior to the DC) vs focusing on bandwidth, peering, and hardware capacity inside the DC. 

I also agree the dev response to this current issue has been disappointing in the extreme.  I'm not blaming any IT firm for having a problem during a transition.  But the same old same old of weak communication, not being transparent, and not seeming to show proper urgency or giving any timelines or plans for resolution are unacceptable.  Worse, this happens time and again and they don't seem to change their behavior.  At all.  I can't speak for everyone but all I'm looking for is some signs of acknowledging the problem and giving us some idea that they are working hard on fixing it and how long they need to resolve the issues.  That would go a long way. 

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:13pm:
Let me clarify.  The decision to change data centers and the performance of said data center is probably not something any of the people we think of as "devs" had a voice in.  Devs are typically software programmers of some sort.  Except in the very smallest of start ups, most software programmers do not do infrastructure, networking, hardware, or OS work.  Those are very different skill sets.  That was my point.

I would agree with you, however, that this current group of devs has overly emphasized client side issues when discussing lag in the past and are overly focused on client side, trace routes, DNS and packet routing issues (all of which are exterior to the DC) vs focusing on bandwidth, peering, and hardware capacity inside the DC. 

I also agree the dev response to this current issue has been disappointing in the extreme.  I'm not blaming any IT firm for having a problem during a transition.  But the same old same old of weak communication, not being transparent, and not seeming to show proper urgency or giving any timelines or plans for resolution are unacceptable.  Worse, this happens time and again and they don't seem to change their behavior.  At all.  I can't speak for everyone but all I'm looking for is some signs of acknowledging the problem and giving us some idea that they are working hard on fixing it and how long they need to resolve the issues.  That would go a long way. 

You answer your own question.
If they don't acknowledge there is a problem, then there is no obligation to fix said unacknowledged problem.  And if the whining is loud enough, then they just deflect the issue to those outside of their control.  Lucky they have "thick skin" eh?

It's called "sticking your head in the sand" approach and from what I have come to understand is the standard operating procedure for Turbine.
It has worked so well for them and others in the past, why not keep doing hoping that one day it will work?

IP Logged

Steelrock
Dragon Raider

Elite Raiders

Reply #55 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Didn't Dungeon Alert, (DA) fix lag? Or was it the TWF nerf?

What lag?

Turbine is a company, not your friend.

If a company you have been loyal to suddenly changes their product so that it either is worse or not even working any more then only a complete fool would continue to patronize them.

Business only understands one thing, the bottom line.

The posters above who have a delusional perception of their relationship with Turbine seem to be suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #56 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
It doesn't work that way.   As customers you can only choose to support the game or not support the game.  If enough choose to not support the game, they will end development and eventually shut it down.   Changing the team for a team that is more to the players liking isn't an option.   The player base isn't United enough nor does the player base have the ear of the right wb executives.   Even if that was something that was desired.   I personally feel like the current data center lag isn't the fault of the game devs.   Infrastructure and budget are outside their control most likely.   As for the direction of the game from a development perspective, a lot of stuff is an issue with legacy code/systems and budget constraints.   A different 5 guys with the same budget and code base will still have the same constraints. 

I disagree with some points here. First support/not support isn't purely binary. If you stop paying, and say why you are not paying, any decent company will listen, and if enough customers seem to agree that the current offering isn't worth paying for then they will change their approach.

When people stopped buying econobox cars, Ford didn't go gently into that good night, they started producing SUVs. Maybe you're right in this case because Turbine is too stupid and arrogant to pay attention to why customers aren't paying, but if so that's just another example of how bad they are, and could be fixed by firing the right people and hiring competent replacements.

Second, I'm not sure we're working on the same definition of "devs" and "control". If you mean the current coders can't change it while their immediate supervisors order them to do something else, then I agree with you, but I think we've mostly been using the term "devs" to include the producer, and most of these issues could be greatly improved if not solved outright with coding optimizations if the political will were present at the producer level.

Legacy Code isn't immutable, you only have it as long as you lack the will to clean it up. You don't have to throw it all out at once, you don't have to drop everything for 24 months while you refactor, you can absolutely clean a little at a time and work your way through it. It's only a waste of time if you don't care about quality or don't plan to be around for more than a year or two.

And I absolutely blame Turdbin if they have either of these attitudes. Would you refuse to clean your garage because you have more crap than you can haul to the dump in one day? No, you'd spend a weekend or two a month cleaning it for as many months as it took. Turdbin should do the same. And we should withhold their allowance until they stop making lame excuses and start making some real progress. In the long run, we'd be doing them a favor.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #57 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:50pm:
I disagree with some points here. First support/not support isn't purely binary. If you stop paying, and say why you are not paying, any decent company will listen, and if enough customers seem to agree that the current offering isn't worth paying for then they will change their approach.

When people stopped buying econobox cars, Ford didn't go gently into that good night, they started producing SUVs. Maybe you're right in this case because Turbine is too stupid and arrogant to pay attention to why customers aren't paying, but if so that's just another example of how bad they are, and could be fixed by firing the right people and hiring competent replacements.

Second, I'm not sure we're working on the same definition of "devs" and "control". If you mean the current coders can't change it while their immediate supervisors order them to do something else, then I agree with you, but I think we've mostly been using the term "devs" to include the producer, and most of these issues could be greatly improved if not solved outright with coding optimizations if the political will were present at the producer level.

Legacy Code isn't immutable, you only have it as long as you lack the will to clean it up. You don't have to throw it all out at once, you don't have to drop everything for 24 months while you refactor, you can absolutely clean a little at a time and work your way through it. It's only a waste of time if you don't care about quality or don't plan to be around for more than a year or two.

And I absolutely blame Turdbin if they have either of these attitudes. Would you refuse to clean your garage because you have more crap than you can haul to the dump in one day? No, you'd spend a weekend or two a month cleaning it for as many months as it took. Turdbin should do the same. And we should withhold their allowance until they stop making lame excuses and start making some real progress. In the long run, we'd be doing them a favor.

The problem with your analogy is that DDO is the econobox.  Mobile apps are the SUV.  WB already has a new mission for Turbine.  They are going mobile.  That doesn't mean they are going to drop profitable units, but I strongly suspect they are reluctant to invest much time or energy in them.  If the revenue leaves, even with reasons stated, they may not choose to do much to get it back.  Choosing to invest that time and energy instead on getting customers on projects that are the new core focus.

Just a guess on my part.  But, again, I'm not sure the lag is the fault of the group of people interact with daily.  I do think that their communication is their fault.  And for that, I am very upset with them.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #58 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:30pm:
You answer your own question.
If they don't acknowledge there is a problem, then there is no obligation to fix said unacknowledged problem.  And if the whining is loud enough, then they just deflect the issue to those outside of their control.  Lucky they have "thick skin" eh?

It's called "sticking your head in the sand" approach and from what I have come to understand is the standard operating procedure for Turbine.
It has worked so well for them and others in the past, why not keep doing hoping that one day it will work?

i didn't ask any questions.  I was making statements.  I agree with you that they are acting as if the problem is not on their end.  But I am not sure that their public stance of "deny, deny, deny" means they aren't internally acknowledging the problem and working on it.  That would be SOP for a lot of companies.  I think there is a way to acknowledge the problem while not airing dirty laundry, but it does take some PR acumen.   

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #59 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 10:23pm:
But I am not sure that their public stance of "deny, deny, deny" means they aren't internally acknowledging the problem and working on it.  That would be SOP for a lot of companies.  I think there is a way to acknowledge the problem while not airing dirty laundry, but it does take some PR acumen.   

You're not sure?  What has Turbine ever done that would lead you to believe otherwise?

I'm certain that they are not working on it.

Because as far as they are concerned, there is no problem.

They know there is no problem because they know best. 

A problem would mean they made a mistake.

They don't learn from their mistakes because they believe they don't make mistakes.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #60 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Tried to get into a quest and move right a couple of times since the move. Always awful. Too many more of those and I just won't bother.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #61 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 10:18pm:
The problem with your analogy is that DDO is the econobox.  Mobile apps are the SUV.  WB already has a new mission for Turbine.  They are going mobile.  That doesn't mean they are going to drop profitable units, but I strongly suspect they are reluctant to invest much time or energy in them.  If the revenue leaves, even with reasons stated, they may not choose to do much to get it back.  Choosing to invest that time and energy instead on getting customers on projects that are the new core focus.

Just a guess on my part.  But, again, I'm not sure the lag is the fault of the group of people interact with daily.  I do think that their communication is their fault.  And for that, I am very upset with them. 

OK, you're right about mobile being the SUV, let me switch focus but stick with the auto industry. Remember how American cars used to have a reputation for poor quality back in the 70s and loyal customers were giving up and switching to Japanese brands? That's more like what we have now anyway.

Remember the response? Ford's "Quality is job 1" campaign, for one. And it wasn't just a Severlin or Glib lip service, either, they really started working on quality. I know that for a fact because I wrote some of the software they used, and I was on the phone for hours every week with their engineers and statisticians for months at a time. Today they are a better company, and it was possible because customers complained and voted with their wallets.

You raise the spectre of DDO going under if we withdraw support, but I put to you that there is always the spectre of DDO going away, and could just as easily happen because we withheld the tough love needed to get them to take responsibility for their actions as because we withdrew support at a key time.

We must decide for ourselves what is the greatest danger to the game, insolvency because we didn't pay, or the slowly rotting status quo because we didn't tell them in the only language they speak that there was a problem. I agree that there is a risk to cutting off funds, but I'm still convinced that the status quo is the bigger risk.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #62 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I logged in after a long break see what the fuss was about... and there is definitely crippling lag. I was trapped, rubber-banding in a tavern for like 10 minutes. The public instances were worse than the actual quests.

IP Logged

TheFifthSock
Dragon Raider

Reply #63 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Turd_Ferguson wrote on Mar 11th, 2016 at 11:40pm:
All the Jerry's Kids seem to be unusually quiet.

Come on Uurlick, you ass kissing shit eater, where are all your boot licking posts?

You're dedication to polishing Fat Jerry's little marble is waning.

Actually, he's also joined in with the rampaging about the lag.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #64 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Steelrock wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:42pm:
Didn't Dungeon Alert, (DA) fix lag? Or was it the TWF nerf?

What lag?

I have this strange feeling that the bandwidth increase that they added after the TWF nerf went away or wasn't accounted for by the new data center and the connections are getting capped to old values.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #65 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
TheFifthSock wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 11:45am:
Actually, he's also joined in with the rampaging about the lag.

He joined a Thunderholme slayers group that was chugging along.  Eventually it filled.  Within about 2-3 minutes of it filling, it went into a state of lag lock.  Stayed completely frozen for 5-10 min before I gave up and logged out for the night.  You can't experience that and still not acknowledge that there is lag and it is a significant issue, especially as group size goes up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #66 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:29pm:
He joined a Thunderholme slayers group that was chugging along.  Eventually it filled.  Within about 2-3 minutes of it filling, it went into a state of lag lock.  Stayed completely frozen for 5-10 min before I gave up and logged out for the night.  You can't experience that and still not acknowledge that there is lag and it is a significant issue, especially as group size goes up.

I hadn't realized there was a limit to his capacity for denial, too funny  Grin

Not to laugh at your lag wipe, just a silver lining that it caught Uurlock

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #67 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:42pm:
I hadn't realized there was a limit to his capacity for denial, too funny  Grin

Not to laugh at your lag wipe, just a silver lining that it caught Uurlock

No worries.  I was about out of time anyways.

Right now, the best course of action in DDO seems to be working on PL's.  Heroic content and low level epics and dailies and slayers (except Thunderholme) all are relatively safe.  If you do lag in a 6 person group, it is usually shorter and low risk.  Maybe a death or two to mock, but mostly just a minor inconvenience.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #68 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:51pm:
No worries.  I was about out of time anyways.

Right now, the best course of action in DDO seems to be working on PL's.  Heroic content and low level epics and dailies and slayers (except Thunderholme) all are relatively safe.  If you do lag in a 6 person group, it is usually shorter and low risk.  Maybe a death or two to mock, but mostly just a minor inconvenience. 

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I did hit some serious lag in Explosive Situation, but as you say it was not a serious threat. I did make a new character and pulled a vorpal in The Grotto, that was pretty funny  Grin

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #69 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:29pm:

I have always found thunderholme to be laggy, especially in a full group with long lock ups. Going in there now just seems like a bad decision all around.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:51pm:
Right now, the best course of action in DDO seems to be uninstalling

ftfy

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #71 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:29pm:
ftfy

I was waiting for someone to make that joke.   Smiley

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 9:54am:
OK, you're right about mobile being the SUV, let me switch focus but stick with the auto industry. Remember how American cars used to have a reputation for poor quality back in the 70s and loyal customers were giving up and switching to Japanese brands? That's more like what we have now anyway.

Remember the response? Ford's "Quality is job 1" campaign, for one. And it wasn't just a Severlin or Glib lip service, either, they really started working on quality. I know that for a fact because I wrote some of the software they used, and I was on the phone for hours every week with their engineers and statisticians for months at a time. Today they are a better company, and it was possible because customers complained and voted with their wallets.

You raise the spectre of DDO going under if we withdraw support, but I put to you that there is always the spectre of DDO going away, and could just as easily happen because we withheld the tough love needed to get them to take responsibility for their actions as because we withdrew support at a key time.

We must decide for ourselves what is the greatest danger to the game, insolvency because we didn't pay, or the slowly rotting status quo because we didn't tell them in the only language they speak that there was a problem. I agree that there is a risk to cutting off funds, but I'm still convinced that the status quo is the bigger risk.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I don't think DDO will warrant changing heading.  Too much effort and career risk for anyone to do it.

I think it is now going to be binary - operate or don't.  I don't agree with this, but we players have a vested interest, unlike the executives who make these decisions.

Going on what other's have said, DDO is a pretty small fish in the WB pond.  Wouldn't even rate as a rain drop?  This means no-one in middle "manglement" (as Flav puts it) is going to care.  If it makes money, let it run.  If it doesn't, kill it.

Furthermore, Turbine have been instructed by WB to focus on mobile development, so turning around an aging MMO product is unlikely to be a priority or of any interest to mgmt because no-one will get kudos out of it.

Also, given its age, the demise of the game would just be attributed to the natural cycle of decline (not mismanagement as it should be).

The data centre move was an interesting piece.  You generally wouldn't bother, but they moved all their aging MMO games over, and given the quality issues now, it might have been a downgrade to save money.  This makes more sense in hindsight.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #73 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:23pm:
I'm no expert on this stuff, but I don't think DDO will warrant changing heading.  Too much effort and career risk for anyone to do it.

I think it is now going to be binary - operate or don't.  I don't agree with this, but we players have a vested interest, unlike the executives who make these decisions.

Going on what other's have said, DDO is a pretty small fish in the WB pond.  Wouldn't even rate as a rain drop?  This means no-one in middle "manglement" (as Flav puts it) is going to care.  If it makes money, let it run.  If it doesn't, kill it.

Furthermore, Turbine have been instructed by WB to focus on mobile development, so turning around an aging MMO product is unlikely to be a priority or of any interest to mgmt because no-one will get kudos out of it.

Also, given its age, the demise of the game would just be attributed to the natural cycle of decline (not mismanagement as it should be).

The data centre move was an interesting piece.  You generally wouldn't bother, but they moved all their aging MMO games over, and given the quality issues now, it might have been a downgrade to save money.  This makes more sense in hindsight.

Well, if it's going to die, it can die without my payments giving it death throes longer than Pewee Herman's in the Buffy movie.

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but

Reply #74 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
As of today there has been ZERO acknowledgement of even a lag 'problem' only that they're looking into it. I was in DDOchat with Vagisil and Steelshit. When I came in it was like a Georgia hootnanny in there! Talking about their accomplishments, how awesomesauce they were, Vargouille was the most hated boss in the challenge and so on.  Needless to say when I entered into the chat they GTFO of there because they didn't want to hear about lag, the shit-ass anniversary event, LAG, neglected broken game mechanics and of course the game-killing lag. But apparently while we are just trying to point out basic observations today, Severlin comes out of nowhere to chime in on a post taking bets who the next producer will be.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/473285-Forum-Pool-on-the-next-DDO-prod...

And while many people are tired of the shit, Turbine employees posted a pic of them having some Monday humble pie.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/473282-Any-Dev-response-regarding-Lag-...

I seriously hope Cordovan also has a side of crow & chokes to death then someone finds him, voided bowels and all.  Angry
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2016 at 10:35pm by Novalis »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint