Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Fran still unable to do EE quests (Read 53337 times)
5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Fran still unable to do EE quests
Reply #125 - May 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on May 29th, 2016 at 6:22pm:
I've seen what people are calling Cleric these days - It tends to include 8+ levels of something else or a Two Hander!

There is no wrong fighting style for a cleric. They cover some bases with Silver Flame and Lord of Blades, but there should be more deity choices IMO. In any case, insisting that all clerics should be sword and board is retarded.

(Not that there's much point in a melee caster these days, but I have fond memories of solo healing raids and also being able contribute ~9/10 of the what the "proper" melee classes were able to put out in DPS.)

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #126 - May 29th, 2016 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
There is no wrong fighting style for a cleric.

Kiting.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #127 - May 30th, 2016 at 7:12am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 29th, 2016 at 11:25am:
Give the build to Fran. He'll still insist that you're doing it wrong.

Looks like he posted Vanhooger posted his build:

15clr/4pal/1ftr Intimitank Cheesy

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/475717-Legendary-Tank

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #128 - May 30th, 2016 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 7:12am:
Looks like he posted Vanhooger posted his build:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/475717-Legendary-Tank

As i talked with guidlie we agree on the same opinion.
That is a great build for ONLY Le raids, and thats it, ts a really hard to kill tank (nearly impossible), but i personally would never do it on my main.
But running with him makes life easy as you can go full retard dps mode
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2016 at 7:22am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #129 - May 30th, 2016 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 7:12am:

I went +1 Ftr -1 Pal, I needed the feat.

But it's not a build I'd repeat, very low DPS.  Very hard to die, sure, but you need 2-5x as much time to get through a quest.  Not worth it.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #130 - May 30th, 2016 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 7:21am:
As i talked with guidlie we agree on the same opinion.
That is a great build for ONLY Le raids, and thats it, ts a really hard to kill tank (nearly impossible), but i personally would never do it on my main.
But running with him makes life easy as you can go full retard dps mode

I didn't realise Van was in your circle.

As I've said before...I'm not a Raider - I barely run Raids at all and when I do it's as an extra body.

I need to be able to get there and this build seems to be one designed to be Lesser Ressed into once already at cap with all the gear required.

I think my main problem stems from still being at the start of the Destiny Farm on so many of my characters - I realise Van says this build will work fine on a 1st Life but that's from someone who has a Triple Completionist!
And again I must assume considering he's stated ZERO DPS that he's LRing into this build upon hitting 30 and levelling as something else.

I'm more interested in creating a viable build that I can have fun levelling AND running at Cap.

I also feel for the poor Fighter and Pally Tanks when they do their best to be a Raid Capable Tank then some Cleric comes along and takes their role.

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #131 - May 30th, 2016 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 8:15pm:
I think my main problem stems from still being at the start of the Destiny Farm on so many of my characters

This is a symptom of your problem, but not the root.

FranOhmsford wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 8:15pm:
I also feel for the poor Fighter and Pally Tanks when they do their best to be a Raid Capable Tank then some Cleric comes along and takes their role.

This is close to the root of your problem.

The character best suited to the role of tank should perform that role when it helps the party.  The role of tank has rarely been the domain of Paladin or Fighter.  This isn't something new since epic destinies.  Before TRs, there were great Cleric intimitanks for HoX/VoD.  Since then, the role of tank has been well served by Ranger/Paladin combos in Chronoscope, Brabak had a good 14Pal/6Ftr build for LoB, and Monk dominant builds have often been great tanks.

The point is that the best contributor for particular roles in quests is a moving target and has been a a moving target from one update to another for always because Turbine changes the rules more often than Jerry changes his underwear.  The best self hjealer isn't always a cleric, the best crowd control might not be an arcane, the best DPS isn't always a martial class.

Your problem is your expectation that DDO classes should perform as their DnD archetypes.  This prevents you from accepting that your builds won't perform as they would if the archetypes were the reality.

Embrace the way Warlocks work and enjoy it while it lasts.  Stop worrying about Paladins and Fighters not currently being the optimal tank setup for some content.

TR a character into one of FFS's builds using an Iconic class, run it to cap, advance some epic destinies while you're at it, and experience playing the game as it is without trying to force your class archetypes onto DDO.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #132 - May 30th, 2016 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 10:11pm:
Turbine changes the rules more often than Jerry changes his underwear.

I don't believe that I have seen a game developer that doesn't.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #133 - May 30th, 2016 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
The character best suited to the role of tank should perform that role when it helps the party.
Indeed.  Keep the boss attention on me while others DPS is the tank role, and that doesn't matter if you are ranged kiting or standing still.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #134 - May 31st, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on May 29th, 2016 at 2:30am:
What other AoEs could I have as a Wraps Monk {No I'm not counting Whirlwind Attack which he does have}.

Whirlwind Attack is the best AoE a monk has.  You gather everything around you and hit it all multiple times.

Why do you believe that a martial class should have some great AoE attack?

What do fighters get?  Or Paladins?  Or Rangers? as specialized AoE attacks outside of various cleaves?

Why does your monk need to have some huge AoE attack and not these other classes?

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #135 - May 31st, 2016 at 9:55am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on May 29th, 2016 at 2:30am:
I know you weren't making a deliberate personal attack - It's just the wording you used wasn't specific and a number of other people have made deliberate personal attacks along those lines.

I just wanted to clarify the issue.

Well, I'm glad you didn't take it as a personal attack.

Quote:
The amount of stacking of abilities and take this that looks utterly useless because it makes some other thing that also looks utterly useless actually useful.

This I don't really understand. Are you saying you struggle to read the descriptions of two abilities (either enhancement or destiny) and understand how one impacts/boosts the other? I can see where this might be harder for some people when it comes to enhancements since you can pull things together from up to 10 different trees (1 racial, 9 class). However, with destinies I would think this would be considerably easier since you can only have one destiny active at a time and, at most, 4 twists of fate. And from what I've observed, the twisted abilities mostly stand on their own meaning they don't boost anything in your active destiny, though something in your active destiny may create conditions where the twisted ability comes into play more often. One example of this is if you're in Shiradi and have Sense Weakness (from Fury) twisted, then Nerve Venom can make the mobs helpless and this enables you to do more damage to them via Sense Weakness. That kind of stuff is pretty limited, though.

Quote:
The number of activated abilities, cooldown timers and stacks {I really hate the Blitz system!}.

I don't have characters that use Blitz. In fact, I've only had one that did. So, to me this is a fair criticism of Blitz. Otherwise, active abilities are one of the things that makes the game fun. Cooldown timers are necessary to limit resource availability (specifically the resource of active abilities) in order to make you choose when to use them and when not. I'll give you that I'm not a fan of stacks of this or that, either, and that they are a system you have to learn and they are unique to each destiny that uses stacks. So, that would mean there are at least four different systems within destinies that use stacks (Divine Crusader, Exalted Angel, Grandmaster of Flowers, and Legendary Dreadnaught). I think Draconic has a stack system in it, too, but I don't recall with any certainty. Now, that all said, the only ones worth anything are Divine Crusader, Grandmaster, and Legendary Dreadnaught. The other two are basically worthless. So, why bother yourself with learning them?

Quote:
And remember that I'm still over multiple characters running through Destinies to build them up {a lot of the time on a Class or Build that doesn't gain much from that Destiny and I don't know the perfect set up for any of them yet!

Here again, you are not alone and you are not special. I only have three characters that you could consider to have their destinies "done", where "done" means they have all the Fate points and twists they want/need and their preferred destiny|destinies are max'd. All my other characters still have lots of work to do. However, with the exception of one of those characters, I have parked all of them. The reason they're parked is simply because of the amount of time required to get anything done on each of them. I have less time to play than I did a few years ago and there is a lot more experience to earn in the game now than there was then. Most of those characters really got parked when the level cap went to 25 and I saw the effort required to eke out the last bits of power from the destiny system, and they remain parked due to time constraints.

Quote:
As for MotU - The Epic System being changed to E/H/N, 5, 8 and now 10 extra levels, A tonne more Feats to learn, Gear that used to be amazing now pretty much useless etc.!
That to me is a "system change" though maybe not the single definition of system that you're thinking of {shall we say a paradigm change in the game itself rather than just a system of the game}.

Ok. I'll go with "paradigm shift".

Quote:
Actually a lot of the time it's still kill casters first!
The Champs are far more dangerous if that fuckin' caster hits you with a Disco Ball!

Only because your dps is low. I've noticed that on my characters who have low dps, I need to focus on casters first. So, I've stopped building that way.

Quote:
What Champs did was up the difficulty of the game! Apart from widening the gap between Normal and Hard - which isn't a problem in Heroics because in the main I can solo Elite but is a problem in Epics because all of my characters when Champs came out were barely capable in EHs as was and Champs set me back!

I've got used to Champs now but they did represent a big change!

They haven't made the game appreciably more difficult. What they did do is require people to use some tactics and thought again, which we had all gotten lazy about and were accustomed to just steamrolling the mobs. When I'm soloing,  I go a bit slower and actually take time to inspect champions to see what their buffs are. I also make sure I have some kind of ranged attack so I can pull things to me one at a time. Of course, that works for the older content where you can actually do that. In newer content, this isn't possible as much, but I'm not generally trying to solo that content.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about it like that but about the sheer amount of extra xp needed!

Remember that when MotU came out I had exactly one character that had TRd even once! And one more Character at Lvl 20! Both on different Servers!

I didn't have a bunch of Past Lives already earned!

I wasn't ready to blast through a bunch of ERs when cap was 25 either and had only done maybe 5 over 3 characters at cap 28!

I'm not just way behind on TRs anymore, I'm way behind on ERs too!

And the amount of xp required for me to get them now {well 2 million extra per ER is a lot!}.

Once again, you are not alone and you are not special. I've done only three or four epic reincarnations and three of them happened during the time when you could get right back to cap by relogging after getting back to 20th, but before leaving the reincarnation bridge place. As for heroic past lives, I haven't focused on them really, either. I have one character with a druid past life and four ranger past lives. Most of the rest of my characters have either one or two past lives, each character has different past lives from every other character, and the past lives are all of the class that matches the character's current class. The only other exception to that is the flavor character I created a while ago that was centered while using longswords. He has one monk, one ranger, and one fighter past life, and he is working on another ranger past life, but I've completely abandoned the original idea for the build because it was terrible, much like your turn-spec'd cleric.

Quote:
Good job there on restraining yourself but think about what you just wrote....

Yeah, well nobody's perfect. And this post of yours that I'm responding to does give me some hope both that I'll understand the way you think better and maybe actually be able to help you in some way.

Quote:
No I don't think I'm the only one - In fact I've said over and over again that I'm not alone in this!

I know you say you're not the only one, but you seem to act like it in spite of your protestations to the contrary.

Quote:
I've taken plenty of advice over the years but when that advice = the character you want to play sucks, play this instead well would you take that advice?

Yes. I would and I have. The fact is, as others have said, you cannot fix a broken mechanic. You cannot make something to not suck when it simply inherently sucks. The fact is that a charisma-based cleric sucks. Should it be this way? No. Turn undead should be useful. The fact is that it is not and you're better off accepting that fact and abandoning making that a focus of your build. There's no reason why you can't still make turn undead work for you on weaker undead, while still improving your character's dps, utility, and survivability. Other people have made the point that it's pointless using turn undead on weaker undead since the party can mow those down anyway. However, I would argue that if the cleric can mow down a swath of undead using turn undead, then the party can get to work taking down the more powerful (and more dangerous) undead faster than they could otherwise. Personally, I like having a lot of turn undead uses per day, but I like using them to do healing bursts instead of actually turning undead.

I have had several characters that sucked. The most prominent is that longsword-using, centered monk-multiclass. Another one, more recently, was going to be a 12 wizard/5 cleric/3 fighter. That character's dps was so low that it was boring. I actually managed to get it to 10th level before I parked it. Then I LR'd it into 12 wizard/6 bard/2 fighter using SWF and spells/SLA's. It was more fun and I managed to get it to 20th or 21st levels,  but it's dps in epics is terrible and so I've parked it for now. It'll get TR'd again  when I'm ready to dust it off.

The point being there are some build ideas you can come up with that look on paper like they should be fun and effective and yet, when the rubber meets the road, they aren't. Turn-spec'd clerics are one of those.

Quote:
I was playing a X-Bow build so was getting the Arti Lives done early {I did the Druid life with my free +20 Heart to get it out the way}.
I take your point about Ranger, Paladin and Monk {Ftr/Rog Mech shouldn't be too difficult either} and with Arti in the doldrums right now {My 18/2 Arti/Rogue Crafter is fucking atrocious - Lvl 20 and can barely make it through EH VoN 3!} I might leave the other Arti lives on my Rogue Mech for a bit in favour of Ranger {A Repeater Build to work with would be nice?}.

Well, I'll agree that it's a shame that artificer hasn't had its enhancement trees updated, yet. I'm looking forward to that, too. From my observations, it seems like rogue mechanics are better suited to using a great crossbow rather than a repeater. They get a lot more raw damage  from them, better criticals, and more sneak dice. On the other hand, artificers seem better suited to repeaters because they have extra damage from their rune arm and there are several repeaters with useful/interesting proc effects, such as Epic Doublecross Bow (neg levels). These are things that are more effective with a greater rate of fire, while the rogue's stuff are better with a lower rate of fire so you can hit harder. (Plus, great crossbows can knock enemies down, which is very handy.) Both benefit from ranger past lives.

Quote:
I've done that so many times but I do have trouble memorizing stuff and I find I take more in from asking these questions on the forums than from reading the wiki.

Well, I'll try to keep this in mind when I read questions posted by you. Personally, I don't struggle to read the wiki and memorize/organize the information available there. In fact, when I used to play Magic: The Gathering (I quit playing just after Tempest was released in 1997) I had every card released up to that point fully memorized: casting cost, type (instant, enchantment, etc), color, attack/defense (if it had those stats), what its abilities were (or what it did if it was not a creature), and what expansion|s it came from.

Quote:
See - This is the sort of advice I'm simply not going to take!

Why shouldn't I be able to make a Turn Specced Cleric? I know full well the Devs messed up Turning but if I can make a Full Cha Cleric that can cope up to Lvl 16 as bad as I am surely you could make one that could cope at Lvl 30!

The point is that turn-spec'd clerics are not viable builds. It's too narrow a niche, based on a broken and mostly useless mechanic, and these facts are what sucks the fun out of those builds. Should the niche be less narrow? Sure. I think it would be great if turn undead were more useful. Clearly, the developers don't know how to fix it without making it ridiculously over-powered because if they knew how, then I am sure they would've made those changes long ago. The fact is that nobody can make a turn-spec'd cleric that also has worthwhile dps that can be effective from first through 30th levels. Can someone make a cleric capable of turning undead at 30th level? Sure. And that's about all it'll be able to do. Boring!

Quote:
I don't dispute this!

For me a Cleric = Sword+Board - If I wanted to play a Barbarian I'd play a Barbarian, If I wanted to play a Monk I'd play a Monk! {I have multiple Barbarians and Monks just as I have multiple Clerics!}.

The thing is there is no reason you can't make a fun and viable cleric according to your preferred archetype. However, that is not the only archetype that makes sense nor should it be the only one available to people.

Quote:
I've said over and over again that I'm not capable of EEs and not looking to run EEs any time soon - I'm not getting in your way in your EE runs or causing you any problems!

I know full well where I am and have even given up on my EE Sagas despite still needing another 18 million+ renown to get my Guild to Lvl 150!

The problem is that if you'd give up on some of the broken ideas you've got and just accept that those choices lead to ineffective characters that are not fun to play, then you'd be able to get into groups that are perfectly capable of running epic elite quests. Frank's line about "play to the victory conditions" is spot-on and an excellent observation. Making a turn-spec'd cleric is not playing to the victory conditions. Just as my making a monk-multiclass that could stay centered while wielding longswords was not playing to the victory conditions. I actually spent three lives investigating whether I could make the build work or not. I also spent time planning a fourth life to see if there was anything I could learn from the first three that would make the fourth better. As you can see, since that character is now 15 ranger/3 fighter/2 rogue, I could not and have consigned the build to the scrap heap. In my opinion, it's absolutely worth building weird characters like that and trying to make them work - even if you do it over multiple lives. However, you've got to be able to draw lessons from your experiences and recognize when the build is just not possible.

Quote:
It's still annoying having to die and lose 10% xp in Vol and cargo hold buffs right at the start of the chain!

First, 10% experience is almost nothing. In that quest, you're only talking about roughly  4k experience. There is so much experience in the game now that 4k is nothing. It's so insignificant that I don't care whether I die or not anymore, whereas I used to care very much (and even then it wasn't really significant). And cargo hold buffs? Really? I haven't used those in at least a couple of years. We had them on our ship for a while after the changeover, but we quickly got to the point where we were too lazy to go to the cargo to actually get those buffs. And when I realized nobody was using them, my coinpurse puckered up and refused to slaughter any more platinum for a lost cause.

Quote:
He can kill stuff fine - It just takes forever!

These are contradictory statements. If it takes forever, then he is not killing stuff fine.

Quote:
And if he gets 3 or more mobs on him in EE he's going to die first!

This is one of only two characters I have at this time who is actually on the cusp of being EE capable.

These are also contradictory statements. If he gets aggro'd by 3 or more mobs and can't manage to stay alive for a bit, then he isn't "on the cusp of being EE capable". I have a 25th level monk with 2 monk past lives who, when I used to play him, could manage to keep himself alive even when fully surrounded. Of course, he relied on those active abilities that you seem to dislike so much.

Quote:
It's the only AOE!

Not the only THING!

What other AoEs could I have as a Wraps Monk {No I'm not counting Whirlwind Attack which he does have}.

A Scattering of Petals is a very effective AoE, actually, but it doesn't deal damage of course. I spent some time playing around with that Cauldron ability from the Henshin Mystic core. That's actually a really fun ability. It could be quite effective with some serious fire spellpower and the ability to survive being surrounded. I just haven't spent time trying to figure out how to make best use of that, in large part because it feels like I would be building the character around one ability (a la your turn-spec'd cleric) and that would limit the character's effectiveness and the fun of playing it.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2016 at 9:58am by nowAvaultie »  

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #136 - May 31st, 2016 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Now a vaultier, are you trolling fran with "why did you take ww on a monk"?

No matter where he found about that, he did the right decision

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #137 - May 31st, 2016 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 9:58am:
Now a vaultier, are you trolling fran with "why did you take ww on a monk"?

No matter where he found about that, he did the right decision

No, I was thinking of the wrong thing and I edited that out of my post.

If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #138 - May 31st, 2016 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Turbine changes the rules more often than Jerry changes his underwear. 

What, twice a year?

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #139 - May 31st, 2016 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 9:22am:
Whirlwind Attack is the best AoE a monk has.  You gather everything around you and hit it all multiple times.

Why do you believe that a martial class should have some great AoE attack?

What do fighters get?  Or Paladins?  Or Rangers? as specialized AoE attacks outside of various cleaves?

Why does your monk need to have some huge AoE attack and not these other classes?

Fighters get Cleave and Great Cleave, Monks have to make do with Whirlwind Attack because Cleave/GtCleave are bugged with TWF!

Two Cleaves outright beats one!

Less Cooldown, More Damage!

Oh and Whirlwind Attack has a really annoying Glitch where you have to basically reset your character after use before you can start fighting again!
It's only about 1/2 a second but we all know what a DPS loss that is!

nowAvaultie wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 9:55am:
First, 10% experience is almost nothing. In that quest, you're only talking about roughly  4k experience. There is so much experience in the game now that 4k is nothing. It's so insignificant that I don't care whether I die or not anymore, whereas I used to care very much (and even then it wasn't really significant). And cargo hold buffs? Really? I haven't used those in at least a couple of years. We had them on our ship for a while after the changeover, but we quickly got to the point where we were too lazy to go to the cargo to actually get those buffs. And when I realized nobody was using them, my coinpurse puckered up and refused to slaughter any more platinum for a lost cause.

I still use the Cargo Buffs and I don't like dying anyway even if I didn't.

That +10% isn't the huge thing it was made out to be back before it became self only - I never cared if someone else died BUT I always cared if I died!

But I tend to try and maximise my XP from each run because I don't like multi-running quests - I'm not going to run Vol a second time on Heroic {Epic is a different story for obvious reasons} so I want to get the most out of the E-BB run.
A Guaranteed 10% XP loss in the traps is a pain - Rogue Hires aren't much use at stopping this either because you still have to get through the traps yourself to get them to the box!

These are contradictory statements. If it takes forever, then he is not killing stuff fine.

Nothing contradictory about those statements.

The problem is your definition of "just fine" - Time to kill doesn't factor into it so long as the mob dies before I do!

These are also contradictory statements. If he gets aggro'd by 3 or more mobs and can't manage to stay alive for a bit, then he isn't "on the cusp of being EE capable". I have a 25th level monk with 2 monk past lives who, when I used to play him, could manage to keep himself alive even when fully surrounded. Of course, he relied on those active abilities that you seem to dislike so much.

Which is why I used the term "on the cusp" rather than saying he's viable in EEs!

He can cope in a group that sticks together because he rarely has more than 1 or at most two mobs on him {with 2 I can keep one stunned} - In a Zerg Group or Solo however he's got no hope!

A Scattering of Petals is a very effective AoE, actually, but it doesn't deal damage of course. I spent some time playing around with that Cauldron ability from the Henshin Mystic core. That's actually a really fun ability. It could be quite effective with some serious fire spellpower and the ability to survive being surrounded. I just haven't spent time trying to figure out how to make best use of that, in large part because it feels like I would be building the character around one ability (a la your turn-spec'd cleric) and that would limit the character's effectiveness and the fun of playing it.

The Ranged attacks in GMoF are pretty d@mn weak in my view - I don't know how to fit Spellpower into my gear and as a non-Henshin Monk I don't have any Enhancement Based Spellpower either so these do so little damage as to be worthless!

When you require 300+ Spellpower for an ability to be even close to viable there's a big problem!
This is why I don't like Divine Crusader as well!

You keep saying I shouldn't specialize so much and I also get told off for trying to do everything often {especially on Clerics} but how on Eberron do I fit 300+ Spellpower on to a Melee Monk?

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #140 - May 31st, 2016 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Well, I'm glad you didn't take it as a personal attack.

This I don't really understand. Are you saying you struggle to read the descriptions of two abilities (either enhancement or destiny) and understand how one impacts/boosts the other? I can see where this might be harder for some people when it comes to enhancements since you can pull things together from up to 10 different trees (1 racial, 9 class). However, with destinies I would think this would be considerably easier since you can only have one destiny active at a time and, at most, 4 twists of fate. And from what I've observed, the twisted abilities mostly stand on their own meaning they don't boost anything in your active destiny, though something in your active destiny may create conditions where the twisted ability comes into play more often. One example of this is if you're in Shiradi and have Sense Weakness (from Fury) twisted, then Nerve Venom can make the mobs helpless and this enables you to do more damage to them via Sense Weakness. That kind of stuff is pretty limited, though.

I don't have characters that use Blitz. In fact, I've only had one that did. So, to me this is a fair criticism of Blitz. Otherwise, active abilities are one of the things that makes the game fun. Cooldown timers are necessary to limit resource availability (specifically the resource of active abilities) in order to make you choose when to use them and when not. I'll give you that I'm not a fan of stacks of this or that, either, and that they are a system you have to learn and they are unique to each destiny that uses stacks. So, that would mean there are at least four different systems within destinies that use stacks (Divine Crusader, Exalted Angel, Grandmaster of Flowers, and Legendary Dreadnaught). I think Draconic has a stack system in it, too, but I don't recall with any certainty. Now, that all said, the only ones worth anything are Divine Crusader, Grandmaster, and Legendary Dreadnaught. The other two are basically worthless. So, why bother yourself with learning them?

Here again, you are not alone and you are not special. I only have three characters that you could consider to have their destinies "done", where "done" means they have all the Fate points and twists they want/need and their preferred destiny|destinies are max'd. All my other characters still have lots of work to do. However, with the exception of one of those characters, I have parked all of them. The reason they're parked is simply because of the amount of time required to get anything done on each of them. I have less time to play than I did a few years ago and there is a lot more experience to earn in the game now than there was then. Most of those characters really got parked when the level cap went to 25 and I saw the effort required to eke out the last bits of power from the destiny system, and they remain parked due to time constraints.

Ok. I'll go with "paradigm shift".

Only because your dps is low. I've noticed that on my characters who have low dps, I need to focus on casters first. So, I've stopped building that way.

They haven't made the game appreciably more difficult. What they did do is require people to use some tactics and thought again, which we had all gotten lazy about and were accustomed to just steamrolling the mobs. When I'm soloing,  I go a bit slower and actually take time to inspect champions to see what their buffs are. I also make sure I have some kind of ranged attack so I can pull things to me one at a time. Of course, that works for the older content where you can actually do that. In newer content, this isn't possible as much, but I'm not generally trying to solo that content.

Once again, you are not alone and you are not special. I've done only three or four epic reincarnations and three of them happened during the time when you could get right back to cap by relogging after getting back to 20th, but before leaving the reincarnation bridge place. As for heroic past lives, I haven't focused on them really, either. I have one character with a druid past life and four ranger past lives. Most of the rest of my characters have either one or two past lives, each character has different past lives from every other character, and the past lives are all of the class that matches the character's current class. The only other exception to that is the flavor character I created a while ago that was centered while using longswords. He has one monk, one ranger, and one fighter past life, and he is working on another ranger past life, but I've completely abandoned the original idea for the build because it was terrible, much like your turn-spec'd cleric.

Yeah, well nobody's perfect. And this post of yours that I'm responding to does give me some hope both that I'll understand the way you think better and maybe actually be able to help you in some way.

I know you say you're not the only one, but you seem to act like it in spite of your protestations to the contrary.

Yes. I would and I have. The fact is, as others have said, you cannot fix a broken mechanic. You cannot make something to not suck when it simply inherently sucks. The fact is that a charisma-based cleric sucks. Should it be this way? No. Turn undead should be useful. The fact is that it is not and you're better off accepting that fact and abandoning making that a focus of your build. There's no reason why you can't still make turn undead work for you on weaker undead, while still improving your character's dps, utility, and survivability. Other people have made the point that it's pointless using turn undead on weaker undead since the party can mow those down anyway. However, I would argue that if the cleric can mow down a swath of undead using turn undead, then the party can get to work taking down the more powerful (and more dangerous) undead faster than they could otherwise. Personally, I like having a lot of turn undead uses per day, but I like using them to do healing bursts instead of actually turning undead.

I have had several characters that sucked. The most prominent is that longsword-using, centered monk-multiclass. Another one, more recently, was going to be a 12 wizard/5 cleric/3 fighter. That character's dps was so low that it was boring. I actually managed to get it to 10th level before I parked it. Then I LR'd it into 12 wizard/6 bard/2 fighter using SWF and spells/SLA's. It was more fun and I managed to get it to 20th or 21st levels,  but it's dps in epics is terrible and so I've parked it for now. It'll get TR'd again  when I'm ready to dust it off.

The point being there are some build ideas you can come up with that look on paper like they should be fun and effective and yet, when the rubber meets the road, they aren't. Turn-spec'd clerics are one of those.

Well, I'll agree that it's a shame that artificer hasn't had its enhancement trees updated, yet. I'm looking forward to that, too. From my observations, it seems like rogue mechanics are better suited to using a great crossbow rather than a repeater. They get a lot more raw damage  from them, better criticals, and more sneak dice. On the other hand, artificers seem better suited to repeaters because they have extra damage from their rune arm and there are several repeaters with useful/interesting proc effects, such as Epic Doublecross Bow (neg levels). These are things that are more effective with a greater rate of fire, while the rogue's stuff are better with a lower rate of fire so you can hit harder. (Plus, great crossbows can knock enemies down, which is very handy.) Both benefit from ranger past lives.

Well, I'll try to keep this in mind when I read questions posted by you. Personally, I don't struggle to read the wiki and memorize/organize the information available there. In fact, when I used to play Magic: The Gathering (I quit playing just after Tempest was released in 1997) I had every card released up to that point fully memorized: casting cost, type (instant, enchantment, etc), color, attack/defense (if it had those stats), what its abilities were (or what it did if it was not a creature), and what expansion|s it came from.

The point is that turn-spec'd clerics are not viable builds. It's too narrow a niche, based on a broken and mostly useless mechanic, and these facts are what sucks the fun out of those builds. Should the niche be less narrow? Sure. I think it would be great if turn undead were more useful. Clearly, the developers don't know how to fix it without making it ridiculously over-powered because if they knew how, then I am sure they would've made those changes long ago. The fact is that nobody can make a turn-spec'd cleric that also has worthwhile dps that can be effective from first through 30th levels. Can someone make a cleric capable of turning undead at 30th level? Sure. And that's about all it'll be able to do. Boring!

The thing is there is no reason you can't make a fun and viable cleric according to your preferred archetype. However, that is not the only archetype that makes sense nor should it be the only one available to people.

The problem is that if you'd give up on some of the broken ideas you've got and just accept that those choices lead to ineffective characters that are not fun to play, then you'd be able to get into groups that are perfectly capable of running epic elite quests. Frank's line about "play to the victory conditions" is spot-on and an excellent observation. Making a turn-spec'd cleric is not playing to the victory conditions. Just as my making a monk-multiclass that could stay centered while wielding longswords was not playing to the victory conditions. I actually spent three lives investigating whether I could make the build work or not. I also spent time planning a fourth life to see if there was anything I could learn from the first three that would make the fourth better. As you can see, since that character is now 15 ranger/3 fighter/2 rogue, I could not and have consigned the build to the scrap heap. In my opinion, it's absolutely worth building weird characters like that and trying to make them work - even if you do it over multiple lives. However, you've got to be able to draw lessons from your experiences and recognize when the build is just not possible.

WTF ... did you choke on a cock and regurgitate your brains in this post or what?

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #141 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 1:54am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #142 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 5:06am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 9:21pm:
Which is why I used the term "on the cusp" rather than saying he's viable in EEs!

Fran regardless of the difficulty the only viable party slot you fill is the one in someones pack.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #143 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 8:01am
Print Post  
That +10% isn't the huge thing it was made out to be back before it became self only

That 10% was never as big as it was made out to be, even when there was no quest ransack or bravery bonus. And now with bravery bonus, it's not even noticeable. I don't die regularly, but the loss of 10% experience when I do get killed has never resulted in my having to re-run quests.

Quote:
The problem is your definition of "just fine" - Time to kill doesn't factor into it so long as the mob dies before I do! Which is why I used the term "on the cusp" rather than saying he's viable in EEs!

No, the problem is your definition of "just fine". Seems to me you're basically winning a war of attrition with each single mob you fight. And with that being the case, you're not killing things "just fine" and you're definitely not "on the cusp" of being EE viable/capable.

Quote:
The Ranged attacks in GMoF are pretty d@mn weak in my view - I don't know how to fit Spellpower into my gear and as a non-Henshin Monk I don't have any Enhancement Based Spellpower either so these do so little damage as to be worthless!

When you require 300+ Spellpower for an ability to be even close to viable there's a big problem!
This is why I don't like Divine Crusader as well!

You keep saying I shouldn't specialize so much and I also get told off for trying to do everything often {especially on Clerics} but how on Eberron do I fit 300+ Spellpower on to a Melee Monk?

The fact you don't even know what A Scattering of Petals does is ... I seriously don't have words for it. Here, let me help you: It blinds the mobs around you for 6 seconds. It doesn't do damage and it isn't a ranged attack. The ranged ki attacks in GMoF are nice extra damage while you're running toward the next mob. Once you've engaged them in melee combat, why would you use them? I never said they were worthwhile abilities. However, since you have to take them to get to Drifting Lotus and Scattering of Petals, they're useful for pulling if you're soloing or for an extra bit of damage until you can close with the enemy and beat its brains in.

Oh wait, let me guess: You're not using Drifting Lotus. If you really can't see the usefulness in that ability, then you're probably beyond all help.

Also, I never said anything about how much spellpower Cauldron of Flame would require to make it 'viable'. I really don't know. I've never gone out of my way to boost my spellpower on my monk to try to find out. I only said that it was a fun ability when I have used it and I think it would be neat to be able to make extensive use of in a build. However, I don't think my monk is even mainly a Henshin monk anymore. Pretty sure I went back to Shintao for the majority spend of my AP.

On a different topic, I wish they would just make handwraps into single-handed weapons so that we could use two of them at the same time. It would be nice to be able to get a bunch of different effects on our attacks since monks attack so quickly.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2016 at 8:02am by nowAvaultie »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #144 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I don't know how to fit Spellpower into my gear

just stop, please. am begging you

how on Eberron do I fit 300+ Spellpower on to a Melee Monk

try items like rings. some spellcraft skill points, gh, good luck, int stat item, maybe some enhancements. Crazy, I know!

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #145 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Fran you are so fucking stupid. Please stop wasting this community's time if you aren't going to listen.

Roll a warlock. Copy someone's build and gear. Go solo some EEs. I could do it on a first life toon. You can to dude.

My pure dps TWF fighter is face tanking everything but Cat and Rakshasa in LE shroud atm. Those two we just range kite.

That includes Sor'jek, although it requires a healer.

Tanks are in a great spot atm. Much better than any time since CITW came out.

You like many other people talk a lot, know very little, and are argumentative. It's why you are fucking stupid. I'm not going to laugh at you, but some people might. I'm not going to feel bad for your, but some people might. You have held yourself to knee-deep game experience for some reason and not stepped up to challenges the game provides. Go fuck yourself. Challenge yourself. And shut that yap!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2016 at 10:49am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #146 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 11:26am
Print Post  
nowAvaultie wrote on Jun 1st, 2016 at 8:01am:
The fact you don't even know what A Scattering of Petals does is ... I seriously don't have words for it. Here, let me help you: It blinds the mobs around you for 6 seconds. It doesn't do damage and it isn't a ranged attack. The ranged ki attacks in GMoF are nice extra damage while you're running toward the next mob. Once you've engaged them in melee combat, why would you use them? I never said they were worthwhile abilities. However, since you have to take them to get to Drifting Lotus and Scattering of Petals, they're useful for pulling if you're soloing or for an extra bit of damage until you can close with the enemy and beat its brains in.

Do you remember when I said about Destinies and needing to take certain useless abilities to get to a useful one?

Lily Petal and Orchid Blossom are utterly useless!

Destiny Points are in short supply and can't be wasted!

Drifting Lotus knockdown might be worth looking at if the knockdown lasts more than a couple seconds - the description doesn't state a duration though.

And Blinding Mobs is a pain for a Melee because the mobs seem to get it into their heads to run here there and everywhere! {On a Shuri or Archer build this would be nice I'm sure}.

Oh wait, let me guess: You're not using Drifting Lotus. If you really can't see the usefulness in that ability, then you're probably beyond all help.

What's the duration of the Knockdown?
The description doesn't say!

I'm wary of abilities that look good but turn out to be awful!

Also, I never said anything about how much spellpower Cauldron of Flame would require to make it 'viable'. I really don't know. I've never gone out of my way to boost my spellpower on my monk to try to find out. I only said that it was a fun ability when I have used it and I think it would be neat to be able to make extensive use of in a build. However, I don't think my monk is even mainly a Henshin monk anymore. Pretty sure I went back to Shintao for the majority spend of my AP.

I'm mainly Shintao with enough in Ninja to get Shadow Veil.
On my Fighter Lives I've also spent points in Stalwart of course.

On a different topic, I wish they would just make handwraps into single-handed weapons so that we could use two of them at the same time. It would be nice to be able to get a bunch of different effects on our attacks since monks attack so quickly.

I'm not sure about separating wraps into two weapons myself - I'm more of the idea that they should be treated similarly to Quarterstaves and be given extra bonuses.

Of course the Devs left Staves behind too when they updated everything else.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #147 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 11:45am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Jun 1st, 2016 at 11:26am:
Lily Petal and Orchid Blossom are utterly useless!

No, these are not "utterly useless". Just because you've elected not to exercise the imagination required to make use of  them is no one's fault but your own. Lily Petal is excellent for quickly and cheaply charging up EIN. Again, they're also useful as a little extra damage dealt to mobs while there is distance to cover before you can use your much stronger melee abilities on them.

Quote:
Drifting Lotus knockdown might be worth looking at if the knockdown lasts more than a couple seconds - the description doesn't state a duration though. ... I'm wary of abilities that look good but turn out to be awful!

The problem with you is that you haven't even bothered to take it, try it out, see how it works, and then make an informed decision on whether it's useful or not. Even if it gives the duration for which they're knocked down, that doesn't necessarily tell you how useful the ability is. Anyway, in my experience, it's 3 to 6 seconds. Some mobs simply get up faster than others, just like characters do.

Quote:
And Blinding Mobs is a pain for a Melee because the mobs seem to get it into their heads to run here there and everywhere!

The point is to blind the mobs so they have a 50% chance to miss you. Generally, the mob you're actively trying to kill is stunned and isn't running anywhere. Who cares what the other ones do for 6 seconds? And even if you finish the first mob and move onto a mobile, blind mob, just open with a stun and beat them down. No running after them required.

Quote:
I'm not sure about separating wraps into two weapons myself - I'm more of the idea that they should be treated similarly to Quarterstaves and be given extra bonuses.

Of course the Devs left Staves behind too when they updated everything else.

Wraps should be made into one-handed weapons because they're used while two weapon fighting. When I first started playing a monk, I expected to be able to equip two of them because logically you're not wrapping both fists with one very long piece of cloth. Instead, you would use two pieces of cloth. They definitely shouldn't be treated like staves. Not just because conceptually they're nothing like staves, but also because Turbine would just screw it up. Remember: a mushroom is a door. We don't want wraps becoming staves.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #148 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
What's the duration of the Knockdown?
The description doesn't say!

Quote:
Sense Weakness: Passive Bonus: You deal [10/20/30]% extra damage to helpless targets. Your melee attacks deal [1d8/1d8/1d8] extra untyped damage to enemies below 75% HP, [0/1d12/1d12] extra damage to enemies below 50% HP, and [0/0/1d20] extra damage to enemies below 25% HP. These are cumulative.

Who the fuck cares what the duration is?  The important thing is that for some duration of time you will get +30% damage.  That is highly significant.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #149 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
I'm wary of abilities that look good but turn out to be awful!

No. You're wary of things you don't find familiar. This is why you're playing a turn-specced cleric. It's why you're finding ways to argue against trying out Drifting Lotus.

Turn undead looks familiar, and you're confusing that with good. Probably because a learning curve for you is no gentle slope. And you probably come to DDO for a break rather than yet another thing today that takes effort. Just like millions of people treat TV.

It's fine if you don't want to try new things. Here's the magic phrase that gets people off your back: "It looks like work to me". You might recognize it as the magic phrase Strake uses. Familiar! Here's how it would look in a sentence: "Maybe Drifting Lotus is good, but getting it and trying it out looks like work to me."

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint